Gallia Falling, part 1 - The Death of Kings (IC)

Edmond looked down at The Countess who hadn’t move from the heap she had collapsed into when she had discovered Constance’s deception.

"I rather suspect it is we who are in danger from her, rather than the other way around" he explained. "I felt the breath of her power when I first met her. Perhaps I am weak of will, but no more than any other man. "

“For now it seems that her will has been broken, in this state she is no danger to anyone. That may change over time so I’d rather have someone around who had some resistance to her persuasion.†He looked a little thoughtful and possibly embarrassed “To be a blunt you were still able to betray her, despite having spent time in her company. Most of her men wouldn’t have the Willpower to do such a thing.â€

"Robespierre...is not good for this stability....I imagine?"

“Don’t get me wrong Robespierre was a great man who helped form the Republic. But unfortunately he has become paranoid with power, and has begun to indulge in many questionable activities.â€

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edmond looked down at The Countess who hadn’t move from the heap she had collapsed into when she had discovered Constance’s deception.

"I cannot say I was unaffected" said Rene, nodding and sharing the confession with Edmond. "And I would not trust my heart to resist her strength if she rises once more...."

"As distasteful as it is, on this my heart is with yours. Change is never simple and often bloody...and it seems that the France of tomorrow will have had a difficult birth..."

He tapped his chin thoughtfully.

"...let us hope we can take better care of the infant, hmmm? if Robespierre's machinations fall to ruination I will not weep. I just hope there is a better beast to fill the vacuum. I suppose that is where you come in. You speak honeyed words of brighter days, and I have no inclination or reason to disbelieve them. Come then, I am in, for better or for worse, and will follow your course! what say you?"

• 2 weeks later...

Edmund sat still for a few minutes considered Rene words and then with a nod he sprang back into activity.

“Then it is settled, you shall nurse our poor Gallia until time are better.â€

He stood and without waiting for Rene answer began to make for the door.

“I shall inform the staff here that you are in charge of the Temple until further notice. Anything your desire shall be provided for you, but I suggest you are not to extravagant it would attract undue attention.†He gave a friendly wave “I’m afraid we’ll not meet again, it has been a pleasure meeting you Rene de Saens.â€

And with that Rene was once again alone with Gallia.

Rene stood there still and silent for an ages, or maybe moments. He had lost track of time in the dark candlelight. Perhaps Gallia had too.

"I've nursed men, soldiers, even children. Never a spirit. What tonic would serve? perhaps only the land and its people. And time...."

He sighed.

"Countess, I am not sure what you are. Wisest is he who know's he does not know. And I choose that wisdom today. The forces of nations is beyond me. Perhaps it should be beyond me. To grasp such power is to court disaster. I shall tend your body, and your spirit, but know this, that men -and women- if they are to be themselves, must be free first. A pawn to no man, no woman, no beast, and no...spirit. A chain is a chain, be it steel or otherwise".

He gave one last sigh.

"Thus, I nurse you, and, as the Countess, I even give you my love, of sorts. But as Gallia..."

He walked out of the room into the rain, enjoying the downpour.

Wanting to be clean, but feeling dirty.

Epilogue

IN a place that didn’t really exist sat a man who wasn’t there, he sat beside the idea of a fire waiting for her to arrive. And seen she did walking from nothingness into the circle or light cast by the fire. The man didn’t look up but spoke to the woman I his own tongue.

<â€So it is done the potential threat has been stopped?â€>

Constance sat down opposite the man, probably one of the most powerful men on the planet.

“The people of France will now be able to determine their own fate. Marianne will not play a part in there politics. She’s a sweet girl but she lacks the focus or desire to interfere.â€

<â€But that’s not why you came here is it?â€>

She smiled it was a pleasant change to meet someone who could read her so easily.

“No it not, I came to say goodbye. I’m tired of this life, I want to settle down and live a normal life. I’m sure there be another woman who take up the mantle soon.†She sounded truly tired, letting her mask fall for the first time in ages. “But before I go I wanted to tell you about the young man who assisted me, I believe he has great potential. Let me tell you about the man called Rene de Saens…â€