Gallia Falling, part 1 - The Death of Kings (IC)

Rene cracked his knuckles. He had been impressed and relieved at Constance' masterful handling of the guards. The last thing he wanted was a fight on his hands - firstly for the danger it would pose, and secondly for the innocent blood that might be spilled, even in the name of France. No man should die for his country, even if he professed the will to do so.

He slipped along the cobblestones and masonry to the temple, trying to keep silent but fast - but yet move in a way that was inconspicuous. A difficult juggling act, but one aided by the light precipitation and the night.

He did not look up, fearful of the towers imposing shadow. Fearful, perhaps, of what he might find there.

At the back of his mind, he wondered about the other Gallia spirit the Countess had mentioned. He hoped things would not become more complicated than they already were...

"Quickly, to the cell....I know not the way..." he hissed at Constance, taking her by the waist and guiding her forward.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pre-dawn light cast a strange glow on them as they made their way through the corridors of the Temple. Even though they hadn’t encountered any trouble, or anyone for that matter, there seemed to be a strange mood in the air. It was like something momentous was about to happen, for better or worse, and they would be witness or participants in those events. The last time that Rene had felt anything similar was on the eve of the Revolutions.

But despite his feeling they made their way with not trouble to the door where behind was held the prize.

"Here we go" said a nervous Rene. Despite his best intentions, the pressure was getting to him. He was sweating profusely, and his hands were shaking.

Seventeen years old and involved in a plot to rescue the Prince.

He patted down his flintlock for the umpteenth time to reassure himself. He cast his eyes around the darkness, impenetrable as it was, yet still able to throw up suggestive forms and silhouettes. His mind could fill in the gaps - adding in Robenspierre's guillotines on his neck for good measure.

He loosened his suddenly tight collar.

"Right then. Fortitude. Purpose. Resolve" he said to himself like a mantra.

And opened the door...

The door opened slowly with a tinkling of cutlery from an unfinished meal. The room was mostly in darkness apart from the glow from a light source in the corner behind the door.

The Prince himself was crouched in the middle of the room apparently engrossed in some form of activity. With the door finally fully open he stood and slowly turned towards the pair, he said noting but simple stared up at them with his big brown eyes. He seemed to show no real reaction to the fact that they were there, maybe he didn’t fully understand their purpose for being there.

Rene cursed silently. Somehow, in all the maelstrom of politics, the Prince seemed to be an innocent victim. A bait, a figurehead, a spinning top.

It was true, Rene had little love for the aristocracy in priniciple. They were, or had been, part of a tyranny. But even so.

He wasn't sure how to address the Prince. A royal term did not seem appropriate some how. But he was at a loss to name the young man.

"Sir", he said, addressing the man, "please be not alarmed, but alert. We mean you no harm..." he said, putting his hands on the mans shoulders...

Rene had to catch himself as his hand seemed to go straight through the young Prince’s shoulder. It seemed that this wasn’t the flesh and blood Prince but some kind of magical illusion. This illusion seemed unconcerned, looking up impassively at the pair of them.

“What trickery is this?†the Countess sound confused, but there was a hint of anger in her voice “Who has done such a thing?â€

From the corner of the room someone pushed closed the door before speaking, they were shrouded in nimbus of light and spoke in English but the voice was unmistakable

<†And that wold be my cue...â€>

Rene turned around slowly.

He felt his neck tighten, a virtual noose constricting around it.

Although the final pieces of the jigsaw were yet to fall into place, the final pawns to move, the broad machinations of the game were becoming unveiled.

"A false Prince?" he said, keeping his voice steady. Somehow, as the blood drained from his skin, it focussed his mind.

"A false bait? for whom, I wonder?" he asked.

"And perhaps the layers of intrigue might finally be peeled away, if ever they can. With you, I suspect they are like an onion...one layer removed only to find another underneath..."

Stepping fully into sight Constance was now surrounded by a glowing aura of light.

<“I was alway here to resue the prince he was an innocent and didn’t deserve the fate of his parents, or to be used as a pawn by others.â€>

“Wait what is she saying? Why is she here?†the Countess was angry now, but she was to confussed to act yet.â€

“Rydym unwaith yn ei defnyddio i siarad ag un tafod.â€* with that Constance explained herself again in French

“I planned to us you Rene, I spirited away the Prince the last time you visited. But when I heard that Gallia was involved I knew I had to help at least contain her influence. And well you weren’t what I expected, you’re a decent honest young man and didn’t deserve punishment for any perceived failure.†she gave Rene a sad smile. “Apart for who I work for I never lied to you Rene.â€

* We once used it to speak with one tongue

"Well there we are in agreement" replied Rene to Constance, inwardly relieved that the young Prince would not be caught up in this Machiavellian plot. He should hardly have had to pay - in any form - for the misfortunate troubles of the age. He was more innocent than any of them - himself included.

"So, what were your plans? and who do you work for? if you used me - and I always suspected you were, as you know - then perhaps you would do me the dignity of telling me for what purpose? containing Gallia? or something more?"

"If Gallia is a spirit, I am not sure how she can be contained, or even if she should be. But this is an age of blood and chains, the former is spilled, the latter are broken...or perhaps reforged anew. Gallia is in turmoil, whatever our actions?"

• 2 weeks later...

“Well Mouron is called in English for Pimpernel. I work with him to make sure the innocent don’t suffer the fate of Madame Guillotine. I have no desire to stop this glorious revolution, only blunt its worst excesses.†She gave a friendly smile to Rene “I always knew you suspected me, you an intelligent man after all.â€

She then gave a sigh “Normally envoys like Gallia would be reabsorbed and transformed by events like this, it isn’t the first time a country had changed it ideals. But in their fear sorcerers from yhr Revolutionary Council, or people in there service, have cut her links and set Gallia free and adrift. If she is cast out of the Countess she will only find another host, maybe the Princess down the hall from us…â€

Rene sat down, overcome by the turn of events.

"Not intelligent enough it seems. A suspicion not acted on is worse than no suspicion at all..." he replied, wiping his brow that was wet with sweat.

"So, how to trust a liar?" he asked of Constance. "I peel back one layer of lies...what is there to say that another is not underneath it? I am in no better a position now than I was a few moments ago. Other than to admit that your professed motives and current actions are in accord with my own..."

"Yes, I would save any neck. But how complex the web of moralities we live in today? saving one neck..how many would perish if one chose to save? ones choices are limited, ones resources finite, and we cannot save all. Who knows what our decisions will mean in ages to come?"

He stood up, determined to shake of his nausea at the politics of it all.

"Enough useless philosophy! Fwaa!" he spat. "It is for old men who do not act... we must do what we can. If Gallia has been corrupted, chained, then it is our duty to unchain her, liberate her! if France changes then so must she!"

He paused.

"The enemy is not the Countess, or Gallia, but those that corrupted her. How do we fight this?"

Gallia had been quiet whilst Constance laid out her confession, but something she had said must had triggered a response.

“Tell them, tell them who you really are, he deserves to know the whole truth.†Her voice was now a harridan screech, a strange sound with her dual voice.

This didn’t seem to faze Constance in the slightest; she gave a sad little smile

“I am Constance, you don’t mind if I give my full name. But I have been imbued for a while with a Spirit of Justice. Unlike Gallia though she is merely a passenger, who gently guides me, than Gallia who had dominated poor Jeanne.†She crossed her arm and looked sternly to at the Countess “But what she want me to tell you is that the spirit is an aspect of Britannia, that split or becomes part of her as the need arises. What she forgot is that I, we, know what it’s like to be sundered into two, to know two sides of a civil war…â€

Something about the memories of that time made her focus drift away for a few moments.

"Brittania?" said Rene, his mind whirring with the possibilities.

"The spirit of Britain? if so you have had your fair share of civil war - and I can only imagine what sundered your nature. The Magna Carta, perhaps? if so, I can see how Frances liberty is a reflection of your own - perhaps a brighter but bloodier one..."

"But now - England and France, France and England. They have not been the best of friends..nor perhaps the worst of enemies. But much blood has been spilled in war between the nations. And they do not sing in tune, even today. So...Brittania and Gallia, spirits of the nation...."

He let out a moment of anger.

"But what of men? If the people of those nations are just pawns...well, I spit at both of you! Leave men to be free!"

Gallia reacted to Rene's rebuttal as is slapped, crumpling to the ground all the fight having gone from here. Constance took things a bit more carmly.

"The spirits do not drive the history of man, or even woman, kind. Instead they reflect the will of the nation, which is why normally the spirit allows to host to determine what should be done. It's why I, and not the spirit, choose to help you when I realized that Gallia was involved."

She walked over to the Countless and checked on how she was doing, she seemed to show genuine concern for the poor woman.

"But you right and soon, if not already, those responsible for the terror while be replaced and with those not tainted by the terror. Hopefully those who did this terrible thing to Gallia will no longer have influence. If you wish I'll leave her in your hands to deal with as you wish. I plan to retire soon anyway, and the spirit will pass on to another."

Rene held his young head in his young hands, shaking it.

"The spirits of nations may reflect the will of the nations...in this age, that frightens me. And, if history is any tutor, I am not sure I am consoled by the past either. One can only hope for the future...but I man's progress in science and philosophy will be matched its advancement of war, with all its horrors..." he said, prophetically. The spirit Rene of the future, fighting in the disease ridden barracks of world war I, reached back through time and sent a spectral chill down his spine.

"So, what now? what plans and schemes have you at the moment? Gallia? Brittania? Let the people of France have peace, I beg you!" he implored.

She stood up and seemed concerned with smoothing down her dress.

“She’ll be no worry for you or the authorities, though I suggest you refrain for the current punishment for traitors.â€

She began to walk to the exit of the room, brushing against Rene as she did.

“Show her some kindness it you will, she has had her entire world collapse around her. Without her leadership her order will fall apart.â€

She paused at the doorway, but didn’t turn around.

“Next time you meet me, or at least the Spirit, I’ll be wearing a different face with different needs. Don’t judge her so harshly based on my actions. And I do hope you and France have a bright future.â€

And without another word she made her way out of the room.

"So, then Countess...or Gallia...what do you intend to do now? no Prince to save, no France to restore..."

He stood up, regaining his determination, a simmering anger glowing in him. Not rage, but defiance.

"Your place is in the history books, it seems, noble and virtuous, the Ancien Regime. All things must pass from the world, yet live on in memory. How would you live, then, Gallia? as a despot that clung to life in the face of misery and spitting in the face of the people? or as a glorious part of the tapestry of France's history?"

He straightened. A cornered rat might fight with the strength of the lion, and although Gallia was cornered in a sense, she was far from a rat...

Rene heard the sound of someone clapping; standing in the doorway was a rather dapper young man.

“You achieve to capture an possible enemy of France, and yet your artist soul still shines out. It seems the young lady was right about your talents.†His voice was cultured, but had the hint of a more humble upbringing. “The young lady suggested we keep The Countess safe until certain elements in the Council are removed.†Looking at Rene he raised an eyebrow “Ah you haven’t been told about all this have you?â€

“The young lady suggested we keep The Countess safe until certain elements in the Council are removed. Ah you haven’t been told about all this have you?â€
“

Rene stiffened slightly, taking faint offence. He couldn't quite make out the features of the young man, whose melodramatic entrance was framed by shadow and darkness. The night was black, and dim firelights cast long shadows.

"It seems I have not been told much at all, if there is any truth to be gleaned from these few days. One veil is sundered to reveal another beneath. Is there no end to the layers of deception and mistruths? Do I get any closer, or the truth an unobtainable phantasm. Ah! But perhaps this is the only truth of life...."

"In any case, you have me at advantage, Monsieur, in both your perception of events and your name. I would ask it, and your intent!"

The man was in the process of wiping down a chair before sitting down on it, more perched on its edge.

“You are lucky no to be involved in the world of politics; sometime I wished I’d stayed a simple soldier like yourself. You may call me Edmond.â€

He sat studying Rene for a few moments before speaking again.

“The council is divided into various groups, many who oppose this Reign of Terror and wish to over throw Robespierre. At the moment the groups are still to disparate to act, but soon we shall unite and end all this.†He waved his hand around

“But that makes the Countess here a pawn in our games if she falls into Robespierre hands he will use her to prop up his government. Other will however use her in exactly the same way. I believe that we should achieve our goals without such symbols. I suggest we hide her away until everything settles down.â€

“But that makes the Countess here a pawn in our games if she falls into Robespierre hands he will use her to prop up his government. Other will however use her in exactly the same way. I believe that we should achieve our goals without such symbols. I suggest we hide her away until everything settles down.â€

"I bid you greetings then, Edmond, and fair fortune!" replied Rene, slightly reassured and stepping back from the crevasse of anxiety he had been perched on.

That wasn't to say he trusted Edmond...or anybody, yet....

"I doubt the Countess is a pawn to anybody. At least if I understand her nature. And I think she may exert her influence and power whatever our intent...but, in principle, I agree with your cause. Men are not to be ruled by nations. Nations are there to free men, not chain them!"

"But tell me, it is not enough to oppose Robespierre and the terrible reign. No, opposition is not in itself standing for anything. What do you intend to do if Robespierre is deposed? back to the rule of Aristocrats?"

“We are a government of the people. If they wish a return to the King then it shall be so, though we seem to be missing our Dauphan at the moment.â€

He gestured to the, now rapidly fading, illusion of the Prince.

“As your young ldy friend pointed out last night we may choose to remain a Democracy or restore a Monarchy. Though the King will no longer have quite the power he’s wielded before, the council will be there to check his powers. Though we are a nation or philosophers and thinkers, maybe they will determine another better way for man to govern mankind?â€

“As your young ldy friend pointed out last night we may choose to remain a Democracy or restore a Monarchy. Though the King will no longer have quite the power he’s wielded before, the council will be there to check his powers. Though we are a nation or philosophers and thinkers, maybe they will determine another better way for man to govern mankind?â€

"Let us first concern ourselves with the deposition of Tyrants, and protection from them" answered Rene. "That will suffice for now. The future can wait! it is the moment of the present that we must serve!"

Rene took one last look at the fading Prince before he evaporated completely.

"Edmond, I have little cause to trust you, as I have been deceived, and deceived well, at every turn. I don't know who you are, or why you act for whatever cause, but at this point I have little to do but agree with you and throw my trust in you, whether for good or ill. "

"What would you have of me? I have been but a pawn in the movement of nations and great men. And yet a game can rest on a pawn. And a pawn can be swept aside and sacrificed..."

“But a Pawn may become a Queen in the right circumstances. I’m afraid in these time deception and politics are necessary bedfellows. It is easy to forget who we do these things for and do things for their own sake. I’m afraid that is what happened to Robespierre.â€

He paused a second before continuing

“What I ask of you is nothing. If you wish you may walk away with no repercussions, though I suggest you stay away from Paris until things are sorted. You could choose to stay here, and act as The Countesses guardian until the situation has stabilized. All the guards and servants are loyal to the Republic above the concerns of us Politicians. And Princess Marie still lives here, there may still be those who wish any royal to return to power.â€

"The Countess? Gallia?" replied Rene, somewhat surprised.

"I rather suspect it is we who are in danger from her, rather than the other way around" he explained. "I felt the breath of her power when I first met her. Perhaps I am weak of will, but no more than any other man. "

Rene half shuddered at the thought of Gallia, now aware of her power.

His head was starting to throb with all the permutations of the players.

"Stabilised is an interesting word..." he reflected, running through Edmonds speech. "You give little indication on what a stable situation would be...I would like very much to have this stability...a democratic government and an end to the terror...." he paused subtly.

"Robenspierre...is not good for this stability....I imagine?"