The Espadas School of Self-Defense and Swordsmanship!

Gizmo

As of July, the Espadas School of Self-Defense and Swordsmanship (!) is officially open for classes!. They have a surprisingly well put together website (apparently the proprietor knows a graphic designer and a crackerjack sysadmin), flyers throughout the city and decent word-of-mouth. It can be a rough world out there and anyone looking to brush up on their close quarters combat skills might well be interested in stopping by.

If you have a PC interested in taking some classes, drop a post here with a little info about what they're looking to learn, where their skills are now and any specific motivations for improving themselves. Depending on who's up for it, I'll be arranging a few threads of manageable size set at the school. The goal here is to give characters a satisfying reason to bump up those combat stats and a chance to see the West End and meet some other characters you might not otherwise!

As a sidenote, any characters who already know Erik Espadas in his civilian identity and would be interested in being a guest instructor, that's worth suggesting, too!

Jasmine would probably pop by, she's not very good at hand to hand combat, and though won't become that good at it, wants to get some training in it, as well as practice in more dodging close range. She'll inquire a lot about specialized scheduling because of how hectic her schedule is and how it's hard to fit that with regularly timed group classes. Plus, Erik's studios right in an area she can start her patrols right after.

Likewise! With summer vacation and his own ineptitude outside of the Bee-Keeper Armor, Baxter might be interested in some more practical lessons. Maybe some pointers in stabpunchery, but that seems like he'd be getting ahead of himself since he can barely throw a punch on his own!

Jubatus could definitely use some combat training. Being able to move/think/react 40* faster than the rest of the world is fine as far as it goes, but it doesn't necessarily go far enough. Part of the reason Jube hasn't acquired any such skill already is, he's terrified of the possibility that his sparring partner might end up a shredded mess; with an honest-to-Centurion superhero as a sparring partner, that fear is rather less of a concern.

Jube's baseline level of skill: Pretty much nonexistent. At present, the cheetah depends on his speed advantage; if/when he runs into a situation where that isn't enough, he's toast.

Jube's motivation for acquiring combat skill: Evenly split between 'don't want to hurt anybody by mistake' and 'don't want to get hurt myself'.

Myrmidon would very much like to sign up for this. He is interested in widening his combat repertoire (namely feats) and leadership skills, and is also looking for more of a challenge than can be adequately provided by Claremont at this time. Since it is also not on campus, it is a way for him to meet other people. Which will hopefully help expand his social skills further.

I could throw Blue Jay into this. As a badass normal, getting training from every corner is part of her shtick. She could show up with Crimson Tiger, even!

Mechanically I'd like for her to grab some ranks of Attack Focus (Melee). I haven't considered her fighting style much, but I imagine it's focused more around getting away from an opponent and back to range where she can pick up her sniping habits once more. So let's say Krav Maga by way of savate? Lots of quick, fierce strikes using the hands and feet, with the goal of breaking off a fight as quickly as possible and getting some space between her and her target.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it might make some sense to have an actual soldier like Victory come by to show off a bit of basic CQC, and what military maneuvers he is allowed to show civilians. Also, having someone with his kind of well known status would be sure to bring in new students from putting his face on the ads! Sure, in battle he mostly just uses his strength nowadays, but that's just because he can afford to now!

And by the way, although Victory and the Espadas don't know each other civilian-wise, they have met in their super hero identities, so maybe Jack could ask Victory to do a favor for a "friend" of his. Although there is always a chance Victory might know high profile Supers' real identities anyway, considering who he is...

If anyone missed the PMs, The Espadas School: Helping Hand-to-Hand is up for Bee-Keeper III, Blue Jay, Catalyst and Glow and The Espadas School: You Hold This End is up for Blodeuwedd, Gaian Kight, Myrmidon and Sage.

Cubist, Gar, I appreciate the interest but since the school is intended to be entirely civilian identity and low-key I don't have anything that could easily accommodate Jubatus or Victory right now. Gar and I already discussed the issues with Victory teaching a class - and to reiterate, Erik will not be approaching anyone who only knows him as Jack - and and any class with Jubatus would just be questioning why there was a talking cat around. I'll keep you both in mind once things are a little more established but it's just not a good fit right now.

Cubist, Gar, I appreciate the interest but since the school is intended to be entirely civilian identity and low-key I don't have anything that could easily accommodate Jubatus or Victory right now.. … any class with Jubatus would just be questioning why there was a talking cat around.
[nods] Fair enough. There's also the practical 'in character' consideration that Jubatus doesn't know the school has any actual supertypes on its faculty, so why would he be interested in this particular school of self-defense? This is an issue that would've had to be addressed if it was going to happen.

That said: According to this post, "(the dojo's neighborhood) had become a noticeably nicer area since the proprietors of the dojo had moved in". So perhaps Jubatus might have noticed this regional improvement, and decided that investing in (donating to) the dojo might be a worthwhile use of his money? Just a thought…