Silver Spider

Azuth65

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

Young genius with minor gravity alteration ability.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

I went with the name Silver Spider because alliteration's always awesome.

What is your full birth name?

I don't know my birth name. I was found in the ruins of Omega's invasion in 1993 as a toddler. For a while I was Jane Doe, when I was adopted my name was changed to Jennifer Amy Owens.

Where do you live?

My penthouse apartment in Parkside.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

I'm told I'm 20.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Female.

How would you describe your heritage?

African-American.

How tall are you?

5'9â€.

What is your body type?

I'm somewhere between apple and hourglass figured.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

I have an allergic reaction to shellfish, the worst example was at a fundraiser dad brought me to that served crab.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

I'm surefooted and fairly light on my feet.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

Chocolate brown skin, green eyes, and black hair.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

I keep my hair about shoulder length, straightened.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

Not to sound conceited, yes, a bit. I've gotten a few compliments when I get dressed up.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

For scars, I have a small one at the corner of my left eye and a few from broken glass shards on my back. When was in Australia on a research trip, after the conference I went out with some of the other aids. The morning after I woke up to find my belly button pierced.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

I'm told I look a little like Jasmine Murray.

Do you have a dominant hand?

My right.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

When I'm not working, usually jeans and a t-shirt, when I'm in the lab I go for a pantsuit, light blouse, pumps, and lab coat. When I'm in the field, it depends on what the location is.

Do you wear makeup?

Not often, just enough so it's hard to tell if I am at all.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

Mezzo-soprano and no.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

Well, even at age 20 I can't sleep in a completely dark room. My psychiatrist thinks it has sometime to do with how I was found under a bunch of rubble during the invasion.

History

Where do you come from?

To the best of anyone's knowledge, Freedom City.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

From the age of 16 until now, I have spent as much time at a dig site or remote research station as I have in my own home.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

Having been to some third world hellholes for various reasons, I can say as screwed up as my country can be, I love it here. As for the government itself, I try not to get caught up in politics, bad for dad's company's image.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

I don't think I'd ever move away long term from Freedom.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

Freedom City, brief bursts of excitement and/or terror during super battles then a quick return to the mundane.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

Well, I'm black. My little brother is Chinese and my little sister is Peruvian. Our parents are white as the driven snow. Main thing that affected me about that is I judge by personality and character.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

I'm really good at chemistry and more than a little proficient in several other scientific and historical disciplines.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Well, my birth parents were killed during the Terminus Invasion in 1993.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

The first time I read about the adventures of the Atom family, I knew I wanted to be like them.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Well, there was the time as a kid I used my chemistry set to make a super strong glue, used it to seal every entrance of my elementary school shut.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I got my masters in chemistry from HIT at 16. I loved my time there and someday soon I plan on going back to finish my doctorate.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

I still have various mementos from the adventures dad and I went on.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

When I was six and I first saw a bunch of Atom serials. Between those and reading the engineer's oath, I knew my skills would be used for the betterment of humanity.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

Nope.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

They aren't deep dark secrets but on a few adventures I've been on we've foiled small scale alien plots, drug and weapon smuggling operations, all that good stuff.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

No.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

I'm not sure, the mummy encounter might be a bit hard to explain and might cause some scrutiny but as I don't like to talk about it and the team that was at the dig never actually saw it, odds are nobody will ever know.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

No.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

I don't know.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

No, I was adopted by Marcus and Karen Owens.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

They are fairly famous billionaire, genius, philanthropists. Dad does a lot of the field research, traveling across the world several times a year. Mom's the CEO and sticks mainly to the board room.

Where are your parents now?

Both are currently in Freedom City.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

Aside from the glob trotting which were more like business trips than anything, nope.

How did you get along with your parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

Pretty well. My sibs are closer than I am with mom and I'm closer to dad than they.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

I'd like to think they're proud of me. Mom would like me to step out of the lab and attend more of the charity benefits though.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

James and Judy, they were adopted as well (Jim while dad was in China, Judy was adopted a couple years after I was). We're fairly close.

What was your birth order in the family?

Me, Judy, and then Jim.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

Sis is in Boston at Harvard Law, Jim attends school at Claremont Academy.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

We call each other at least once a week, often several times a week.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Well, I'm closest with dad. Comes from spending so much time going around the world together.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Again, dad.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

Well, my great-uncle supported former mayor Moore, when it came out he was involved in the illegal activities of the mayor, he was booted out of the company.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

Just the generally notoriety that comes from being famous in several fields of science and having piles of money in the bank.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

No, I don't.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

Someday, but I'm 20 so I'm not sure how I'll feel in a few years.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

They need to be active and intelligent, beyond that, I don't know.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

There's Megan Daniels, she was my dormmate in my freshman year of college. She works as an assistant at The Lab now. Great girl, though when she goes out to party, she doesn't do it by halves.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

Tenesha Robins, she and I were the only two black students at our prep school. Even after my multiple grade-skips we stayed friends, mostly because we lives right around the block from each other.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

My family, obviously. Tenesha and Megan too. The guys at the company I work with.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

I had a crush on a classmate in my senior year but they joined the went to college at Oxford, we haven't kept in touch.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

Steven Barrett, after the theft of several terabytes of my family's electronic files and a few prototypes I've spent more than a few hours making his life difficult. He's not appreciative.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

Well, Barrett has hired mercs to attack our holdings. There's also some people from New Freedom who were mad they couldn't bring the crashed spacecraft back to their totalitarian country.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

A band of smugglers tried to shoot me, thankfully I had a prototype sharksuit on, blocked the bullet but it did bruise my rib.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

My family, the engineer's oath, myself.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

Without a doubt, my dad. He's confided several secrets to me.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

People who abuse or subvert science, using it to advance themselves at the cost of progress or people's lives.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Determination, intelligence, compassion, and kindness. I'd like to think I do.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Selfishness and callousness. I'd like to think I avoid those in my daily life.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

Yes, nobody, yes, and for their safety.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

Yes, and I work equally well in either role.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

No.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

I am part of the Order of the Engineer (complete with iron ring). I try to make as many functions as I can.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

My parents, obviously. The Atoms too, given the adventures of their grandfather, parents, and uncle sparked my interest in science. Also Dave Thomas, for his foundations and efforts for education and adoption.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

There were some scientists I used to respect until I saw what they did to people in the name of research.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

Yes I do, mostly for the knowledge what I do is helping people.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I never really thought about it. I know if I were crippled I'd stick to doing lab based research pretty much entirely.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Finish my doctorates in chemistry and engineering.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Continuing the family tradition of scientific adventures.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

Abandonment, my recurring nightmares involve two figures, who I assume are my birth parents, running away during the Invasion. After one of those I have to be active to burn off the adrenaline.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

My family.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

I don't go out of my way to acquire more, billionaire parents after all. I do like to spread some of my monetary stipend around but I don't go overboard with it, money can't buy friends.

How do you generally treat others?

With the same respect I expect to be treated with.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

I'm not paranoid but trust is a two-way street...

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I'm somewhat of an extrovert, I'm confident but not cocky.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

I try for flirty, it usually ends up shy and blushing.

What are your most annoying habits?

Well, there's my usual need for a nightlight and my clicking of my ring on a table when I'm thinking and unable to verbalize my thoughts.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Nazis, especially the ones who performed the experiments in the camps.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

I can't find it often but curried camel is up there.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

Cherry coke.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Carrot cake.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Shellfish, though that's due to allergy.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

Blue.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

Classical, jazz, and rock. I can't stand hip-hop, most of the lyrics are just so degrading...

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Sandlewood.

Do you have a favorite animal?

Cats.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

My Atom Adventures dvds.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I spend a lot of time on digs in remote locations and at field test sites. I enjoy the creature comforts of home like indoor plumbing and wifi when I can.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Flipping burgers.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life? How important is it to you?

I there's one God but many religions so it's all a matter of your favorite long distance provider. Not being sure which one to follow, I just try a more simple “be good, pass it on†moral code.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Well, my parents are Catholic but I was allowed to pick my own faith.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

Not very often, mostly I just go with the family for Christmas and sometimes Easter. There are a few things I disagree with but short of brainwashing the pope I don't see that changing for a while.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

Certainly not in cold blood. The closest to killing I've come is trapping a Grue in a transporter loop within his own crashed ship (got the idea from a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode dad and I had watched on the way to McMurdo Station).

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

I believe all life is worth saving.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

Only in self-defense and only when all other options have been exhausted.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

I don't honestly know...

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

I'd find out who did it, get my property back.

How would you react to public humiliation?

Hopefully better than I did in junior high, which was to run away and lock myself in my room. Depending on how bad it was, probably laugh it off.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

I'd find everyone involved and make sure they were held accountable to the full extent of the law.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Murder, it ends any good that might have come from the person.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

Call everyone in my family and tell them I love them.

Order a fitting last meal from my favorite local spot.

Donate everything left in my bank accounts to charity.

Give my costume and equipment, as well as journals, to either the Atoms or the Freedom League to safeguard.

Double check my sister still has my power of attorney.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

Avoiding ancient traps and savage beasts tends to give you a heck of a workout, what I didn't pick up from those I got in training from dad the bodyguards who worked with him. Also some cheerleading stuff from Tenesha when we'd hangout.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

Well, my actual superpowers I had to do my own tests with.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

I don't know how unusual it is but I can make a synthetic spider silk that's stronger than titanium.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

Well, there's my lab time and my time as an adventurer-scientist. I haven't really done much else and I don't have any immediate plans to change careers.

What is your preferred combat style?

I think the internet calls it She-Fu. No real dedicated forms but lots of dodging and rolling to avoid being flattened.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

I do have a few minor award for work in engineering.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

Well, my cooking could use work. Despite my chemistry skills, I can't make anything more complex than a frozen pizza or ramen noodles to save my life.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

I try to stay out of the way while being helpful. I keep my mouth closed and my eyes and ears open.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Normal day is get up early, do my morning workout in my apartment's home-gym, make breakfast, go to work (if there's anything that needs my attention), come home, do a patrol in costume, and if nothing's up, take a few hours for one of my hobbies.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

Well, I'm a voracious reader. I'm also a bit of a gearhead when it comes to cars. My reading habit started shortly after being taken to the library as a child. The mechanical interest started when I was given a model car kit on my tenth birthday.

What do you do for fun?

Read, restore classic cars or tune up more modern ones. A couple times a month some of my college friends and I get together and hang out, sometimes at Midnight Hour (since I'm the only one amongst us not yet able to purchase alcohol), sometimes we go out bowling, sometimes we end up holding a rotating poker game.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

Blue and silver, web motif across the whole thing. It also has four zip-on pockets on the legs and fingerless elbow gloves.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

Jeans and a t-shirt, pant-suit and pumps when working. Function appropriate dress when at a formal function. Handily, all can be handled by the morphic molecules of my costume, it can become any outfit at will.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

An oversized t-shirt. If you want to know more, you'd better have bought me dinner first.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

Well, my iron ring. It's a plain band of, well, iron worn on my right pinky.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

My penthouse's wall safe for several items, some of the more valuable sit in a bank vault, the most priceless/irreplaceable in the company's vault.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

Local, I take my motorcycle, long distance I usually grab a plane.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

No, I didn't.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

The above mentioned back and eye scars and my navel piercing. My fingerprints are in the system too.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

My work with the Dave Thomas foundation and my parent's company.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

None worse than anyone at ASTRO. I use my knowledge to help, not for personal gain.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My assortment of skills.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

The fact that sometimes, I get too focused on a task. I've missed days worth of meals getting too in depth on a project.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Jen, try and get out more. You're a millionaire, go to a party or a nightclub once in a while. Make some friends, especially other metahumans.

• 6 months later...

Costume Design Entry

Jan 31, 2013

After my recent misadventure with the new Bee Keeper over in the Fens and the ruins my costume and web shooters came home in, I've decided to work on a new one with better flexibility and defensive properties. I have in my possession a prototype nanoweave cloth that can stop medium caliber bullets.

I'm also working on a new utility belt built into the new suit. Some hard sided compartments for holding chemicals, evidence samples, some of my new general equipment (the first of which being a first-aid kit), and new weapons as my old primaries have been wrecked thoroughly. I still have some of my backup gear and that will have to hold me until I can finish these upgrades.