A Pirate's Life for Me

Heridfel

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival walks into the inn feeling relaxed. A good night's sleep after a harried day of chasing a reptilian pickpocket, avoiding angry merchants and questioning mysterious wizards is exactly what he needs at the moment; the prospect of resting eases his mind. However, as soon as he steps inside the hair along the back of his neck immediately stands at attention. He doesn't like the look of the crowd, but perhaps if the group can keep a low profile they can -

His arms thrust forward to catch the falling Kevin. Nightrival holds him up and gently shakes him.

"Easy there, man. Are ya a'right? Can ya 'ear me?"

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin just murmurs in reply. The whites of his eyes can be seen fluttering behind his eyelids, but he's definitely unconscious. Slathliss glances over to them and motions to Sen.

"Quick, hold him up. This isn't a place to show weakness," he whispers urgently. One drawback of seemingly speaking every language is that everyone can understand him if they should hear him. Sen moves over and helps Nightrival with his burden.

Slathliss walks over to the innkeeper behind the bar and speaks quickly, "He's already had too much ale. We need a room for the night." He pulls out a gold coin and places it on the counter.

The innkeeper grunts, "Four of you? It's twice that." Slathliss looks ready to argue, but reconsiders. Kevin's not in good shape, and right now, they just want the room. He pulls out a second gold coin from the pouch and turns it inside out. There's nothing else in it.

"You've cleaned me out. Now show us the room," he says. The innkeeper grabs both coins more quickly than Nightrival or Sen thought possible, then smiles, revealing a missing front tooth.

"My pleasure. Bring your lightweight friend with you," the innkeeper says. He steps out from behind the bar, eyes the crowd, then walks to the stairwell. He pulls out a single iron key.

"Pleasant dreams..." he chuckles as he hands the key to Slathliss.

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival follows Slathliss's suggestion and slings Kevin's arm over his shoulder. He shifts all of his companion's weight onto him.

"Man, what were ya thinkin'?" he asks the unconsious Kevin. "Didn't ya know those, uh . . . leprechauns can hold their liquor?" Nightrival chuckles and talks a little louder. "I mean, those little dudes sank you, man. I knew I shoulda bet all those doubloons on them."

When the innkeeper hands Slathliss the key, Nightrival drags Kevin towards the stairwell and follows their guide. He knows that one wrong move could bring some unwanted attention their way, and if Eldrich is in trouble the last thing they need is someone knowing they are the rescue party. He keeps a lopsided smile plastered across his face as he walks across the bar.

"Much obliged," he says to the innkeeper. "Lead th' way."

Sen helps carry Kevin along, silently looking at each of the bar patrons as if expecting them to rush them and attack. For their part, they look at Nightrival strangely as he begins talking about leprechauns and doubloons, but more confused than belligerent.

The innkeeper just points down the hall and grunts, "The one at the end." He turns back to the bar and walks behind it. He pulls out a rag and begins to polish out a glass, though it's questionable whether he's cleaning it or just spreading the dirt around.

Slathliss hurries forward and opens the door. It doesn't look like the room's large, and there's only one mattress on the floor - not even a bed. There's no telling how much a gold coin is worth compared to dollars, but Slathliss definitely overpaid. Kevin starts to blink groggily as the two men help him along.

"Wha..." he half-says, half-groans.

LiamHS.jpg

"Help me move 'em to the mattress," Nightrival asks Sen. With the samurai's assistance, he carries Kevin across the room and lays him out onto the makeshift bed. He thinks two gold pieces does sound like too much money for such a small room, though the circumstances prevent them from finding better accomodation. He's just glad to be off the street and into someplace inconspicuous. Soon word will spread that they were questioning the local wizards. That could be dangerous.

"Go get some water," he orders Slathliss. "It looks like he's comin' around." Nightrival kneels next to Kevin. "You're gonna be alright. Can ya speak?"

Nightrival looks around the room. "Let's see if there's any windows in this dump and get some air in here."

Slathliss steps out of the room, presumably to follow Nightrival's command, giving the other three men some space to breathe. None of them are particularly small, and they'll have a rough time all sleeping at once, even using the floor. There aren't any windows in the room, but the door remains open after Slathliss leaves. The only light is coming from the hall, and there's a single candle hanging from the wall. It won't provide much light when lit, but there's not a lot of room to light. In some ways, that might be a blessing. Seeing how much of a hovel the place is won't do them any good.

"Yeah..." Kevin says. "I just feel really woozy. I've never done so much chi stuff. I think it caught up ... caught up with me."

He puts his hands behind his back and pushes himself up to a sitting position. He blinks once, hard, but it seems like he's still awake. He looks up to Sen and Nightrival.

"Sorry. I should be better tomorrow," he says. Slathliss returns with a mug filled with water, which he hands to Kevin. Kevin drinks it gratefully.

LiamHS.jpg

"Thanks, Slathliss," says Nightrival. He stands up and crosses his arms after listening to Kevin. "Good. That's good ta hear. We'll get an early start tomorrow an' look fer these elves. Just, ya know, keep on eye on yer chi. Don't exert yerself; focus and direct yer energy in small doses."

He steps towards the door and peers into the hallway then looks back to the group. "Let's get some shut-eye, a'right? I'll take first watch."

Nightrival sits beside the door with his back to the wall. Though he's concerned for Kevin, he is also worried about meeting creatures that have only existed in stories. What will they be like? Would they even help them? He shakes his head to toss out his uneasiness and trains he ears to listen for any potential troublemaker stumbling up the stairs.

"I cannot sleep," Sen says, his first words since they entered the inn. "If you need to rest, and you can, then do so. I will meditate, whatever your choice."

He removes his blade from its scabbard and lays it across his knees. His eyes close, but Nightrival can tell that he's still aware of his surroundings. Kevin, on the other hand, doesn't need any encouragement. He falls back down again on the mattress and looks like he was asleep by the time his head hit the ground.

Sen remains motionless on the floor. Eventually, Nightrival takes the opportunity to rest along with Kevin. Slathliss also curls up in a corner, and Sen seems to take note of him especially.

None of them sleep particularly well. There are enough noises coming from down the hall to keep them on the edge of wakefulness, and sometimes noises from outside the inn as well. It's not enough to wake them, but ironically, Kevin gets the best sleep due to his extreme fatigue. He's just too tired to even start to wake up.

The next day finally rolls around. Sen's eyes are still closed, but as soon as Kevin stretches, they open and look toward him. Slathliss and Nightrival are still asleep.

"Are you feeling better?" Sen asks Kevin. Sen doesn't exactly sound concerned so much as wanting to verify his status in case something comes up while dealing with the elves (or whatever they have to do this day).

"Yeah, a bit. I don't feel like I'm going to pass out again, at least," he says. He slowly gets to his feet, testing out his body. "I'm hungry, too, which is probably a good thing."

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival wakes up in the same position he fell asleep in, startled by the noises radiating from the streets outside. He lifts his head and rubs his eyes. Slowly, the room and its occupants come back into focus. Nightrival is feeling stiff from the neck down and his mouth is dry as a stone. He's not surprised to find Slathliss still with the group, though the reptilian thief could have disappeared during the night to abandon them and cast off his responsibility. For that, he decides to fully trust their guide. Seeing that everyone is still present, he stands up and brushes the dirt off his legs.

"Not th' best sleep I had but it sure beats crashin' inna alley," he mutters. He pauses to listen to Sen and Kevin.

"I'm glad yer doin' better," he says to Kevin. "Gettin' a bite ta eat sounds like a plan. Let's head downstairs and see what there is ta see."

"I will remind you," Sen says, not opening his eyes, "that Slathliss said he used the last of the money to get this room, and he did not leave it last night."

Slathliss stirs as he hears his name, then stretches. He raises an eyebrow when Sen says that he didn't leave the room.

"Were you watching me the whole night?" he asks.

"Listening," Sen says. "I figured out that it's easier to hear you than it is to see you."

"I'm not really hungry yet," Kevin says, trying to defuse the situation. "What do we have to do now, Nightrival? Go find some elves or something?"

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival scratches the back of his head and lightly blushes.

"Right. I forgot about the no-money situation. I guess we skip breakfast and go find us some elves. Maybe they got some food ta spare."

Though he's seen meditation techniques like the one Sen used during the evening, the feat impresses him nonetheless. Nightrival spent his life learning the art of fighting and neglected the other aspects those arts offered. The physical realm was his kingdom: breaking bones and breaking spirits is his way. He meditated often but not at the intensity Sen has clearly mastered. Part of him wishes to venture into the spiritual side of his practice, perhaps to unlock some hidden talent. Nightrival shakes his head. The mission comes first; meditation won't help anyone.

With Slathliss finally awake and the rest of the group coming together, he walks out the door and stops in the hallway.

"I'll wait fer ya outside," he says over his shoulder. "Don't take too long."

He swaggers down the hallway and down the stairs. He briefly pauses to scan the tavern.

Kevin sighs as he gets to his feet. He puts a hand on the wall to steady himself, but he otherwise appears ready to go. The robes are a bit dirtier for his time spent on the pallet, but they still appear relatively clean.

"I don't know if I trust elves," he says. "Do they even eat?"

"I think so," says Slathliss. "I do not think they will just give us food, though. Nobody gets things for free here."

Sen opens his mouth and then closes it, choosing silence rather than take advantage of the opening that Slathliss left him. He rises smoothly to his feet, patting his sword to make it rest easier against his body. Slathliss doesn't appear to have anything he needs to take with him either. The three men walk out to the main room of the inn, where Nightrival waits for them.

The inn is mostly deserted at this time of day. A gnome sleeps in one corner of the room, snoring loudly. Slathliss glances at the gnome.

"Someone else got there first," he shakes his head. "His coinpurse is already gone."

"Let's just see if these elves can help us," Kevin says, trying again to forestall an argument. "Which way are they, Nightrival?"

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival shakes his head at the sleeping gnome.

"That's a good a question," he replies. "Eldrich was here about three days ago and then left ta see those elven traders. We're gonna have ta ask around an' find out where they're camped."

He examines the empty inn a few times and his eyes continue to fall on the gnome. He shrugs his shoulders.

"Well, we gotta start somewhere."

Nightrival walks over to the gnome and gently prods him with his foot.

"Hey!" he shouts. "Time ta wake up. Shouldn't ya be helpin' some poor cobbler right about now?"

Kevin holds up his hand at Nightrival and says, "Wait a minute..." but he doesn't say it quickly enough. Nightrival pokes the gnome gently with his foot. Its snore ends abruptly, and bloodshot eyes open to look straight into Nightrival's. It hisses, then says something brief in a language that Nightrival can't understand.

Slathliss blanches, then says quickly, "I don't think he'll be of any help. Step back carefully and don't make any threatening movements." Considering the thief's rather laissez-faire attitude towards nearly everything, his reaction seems severe.

Kevin's eyes close for a moment as he aligns Nightrival's chi. If there's going to be a fight, then he'd rather not have to heal Nightrival. Better to be proactive, he reasons.

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival recoils when the gnome lashes out at him, but he remains firmly planted on the ground despite the surprising reaction. He puts his palms out in front of him and slightly lowers his head.

"No need ta get all grouchy," he says quietly. "I know bakin' cookies in a giant tree is a rough gig, so we'll just be goin' our way."

He steps backwards. His hands are still poised ahead of him and his eyes carefully watch the growling gnome.

The gnome doesn't leap at Nightrival, which might be a clue that it can't understand his words. Kevin realizes what Slathliss said before he awoke.

"Nightrival, we should get out of here before he finds out he has no money," Kevin says hurriedly. He doesn't have to worry about being understood, being without a pearl to translate his words into whatever language this city uses. Slathliss has already disappeared, and when Sen realizes this, he heads out of the inn to go look for him. Kevin's already backing away through the door himself.

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival nods his head. "Alright. I'll be right behind ya." He sneers at the gnome. "I'll catch ya next time, garden boy."

He walks a few steps backwards and then turns around to swagger out the door. He stands at the entrance and crosses his arms. He knows they have to find these elven traders. Where exactly does somone look to find elves in a city like this? Asking random people, or things that look like people, is obviously a dangerous enterprise in Freeport. Nightrival scratches his head. Trackin' down crooks in the Southside is much easier than this gig.

"Any of you got a clue as to how we hunt down these elves of ours?" he asks the group.

"I thought you said that the elves were heading north," Kevin says, a little confused. Sen shakes his head at him.

"Eldrich was seen heading north, and he met with the elves. Nightrival is hoping that they are along the way," Sen says, looking to Nightrival for confirmation. Instead, it's Slathliss who speaks up.

"There are many elves in the city. They are probably second in number to the humans. But if this Eldrich was seeking spell components, there's another market just outside the city that he might have gone to. The elves there don't come in the city and don't have to pay the tariffs. The lords are always trying to run them out, but the word is that they have a man on the court who warns them ahead of time," Slathliss says. It's the longest speech any of them have heard from him, and it stuns them a little. Kevin is the first to recover.

"I guess we start there. Are they to the north?" he asks.

"If they were there two days ago, then probably not. They move each day, and if you aren't the right sort, you won't find them," Slathliss says.

"How can we prove we deserve to see them?" Sen asks, the obvious follow-up to what Slathliss just said.

"You have to prove you can pay ahead of time. There's no bluffing them," Slathliss says. Kevin snaps his fingers at that, dejected.

"We don't have time to get enough money, it sounds like. We need to move fast. Each day we're here is another day that Master Lee has to hold down the fort without us," Kevin says. Sen holds up his hand, asking for quiet. He looks straight at Slathliss.

"Do they also buy goods? I have a sword that they might be interested in..." he says, drawing the blade from its scabbard.

Sen quickly put the sword back in his coat. "Our need is pressing, we should head to the north and perhaps bump into these elves," Sen said hopefully. In truth he didn't think their chances were particularly good but he felt responsible for the current situation. He turned to Nightrival.

"Your abilities in the arts of stealth are superb, if there is no other way..." he let the sentence trail of pained at the thought of parting with his family responsibility. "Maybe we could arrange to see what they will say."

Kevin nods, looking at the group. "If we can't even find someone to point us towards them, then it doesn't matter where they are now. Besides, the elves aren't our goal. We're after Eldrich, and I think he was last seen to the north if I remember what you guys said the other day. Let's give it a shot. Slathliss, lead on."

Slathliss shrugs silently. He looks up into the sky, shading his eyes with his hand, then starts walking off down the street. They can tell after a moment that they're heading mostly north.

Kevin speaks in a low voice to Sen, trying not to be overheard by Slathliss, "You said your sword was dangerous, right? What if they actually want to buy it, and won't take no for an answer?"

Sen didn't shook his head. "I do not know. The sword must not fall into the wrong hands, it is an evil thing and I am it's guardian." he admitted. Though he began to give Kevin's words more thought. He had no desire to fight these elves but he would not so quickly surrender his charge. There would have to be some way to get what they wanted.

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival strokes his chin as he ponders the situation. They have no valuables expect for Sen's sword, and its owner is understandably apprehensive about being seperated from such a powerful and dangerous weapon. However, they need to find Eldrich soon or else Freedom City will face a catastrophe. An idea strikes him. Since Nightrival had arrived in Freeport, he allowed Slathliss to steal so the group can accomplish their task. Why stop now?

"Ya know, I've seen a few scams in my day," he finally says. He looks to Sen. "The bait-and-switch is a classic. We offer yer sword as the bait, then switch it with a fake. We just need another sword that resembles the one on yer belt."

"I think we're making this too complicated. We try to find these guys, and we say that Sen might be willing to sell the sword. That gets us to meet them, and we can ask about Eldrich. Then we just go," Kevin says. "I mean, they might not even know anything, or might not want to share. If it comes to that... I don't know. This city's nearly as big as Freedom, I think, and there's nobody in charge. We need to figure out what he might have gone to do, and why he isn't back yet."