A Pirate's Life for Me

Heridfel

"I mean, I'm ok," Kevin says. "Just got the upset stomach right now. If it gets any worse, then I'll say something."

Slathliss shrugs, saying, "Wizards are better at weakening and injuring the body than strengthening it, and their changes fade more quickly. Perhaps they could have something there, though."

The four men travel on in a somewhat awkward silence. Slathliss is the best guide that they have, but there's always the chance that someone he stole from will see him. After all, that's how Nightrival and Sen caught him in the first place. Dusk falls over the town, and merchants begin to put out lanterns and candles so that they're ready when the twilight fades. Gnats and moths also begin to wake up, and it seems like Slathliss is the only one who isn't being bothered by them.

The wares begin to get fancier, and the merchants better dressed. More of the shops are in buildings rather than carts - obviously, this provides them more protection against thieves and the like. Slathliss turns and faces them.

"The wizards' quarter. Now, how did the three of you want to go about looking for this man?"

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival waves away a cloud of moths fluttering around his head. The change in atmosphere, from purchasing goods in a bustling market to wandering in a sophistacated shopping district, is refreshing though mildly intimidating. The air has hints of perfume wafting through the streets, and he seems underdressed compared to the merchants. Nightrival is curious as to what is exactly sold at a wizard's quarter; he wants to visit each and every shop to browse over their wondrous wares, but he knows he has a job that needs to get finished. He smirks to himself and looks into the shops' windows as he walks by them.

"The wizards' quarter. Now, how did the three of you want to go about looking for this man?"

"I reckon we split up and start askin' questions, th' ol' fashioned way," he replies.

Nightrival takes a few steps backwards towards the closest shop. "Who's goin' ta join me?"

He turns around and swings open the front door.

Kevin glances over to Slathliss, then back to Nightrival. "I'll go with you," he says. Left unsaid is that it would be a good idea to have Sen go with Slathliss, so that he can understand what Slathliss says to the people he questions. Besides, it's clear that Slathliss is not the most social of people - better that he not be the one speaking.

"Let's say we meet back here in three hours," Kevin says. "Or about three hours. As I'm sure Slathliss knows, I don't have a watch." The last comment has just a hint of sarcasm, but it's more than Kevin has shown before.

Presuming that Sen agrees, the two groups set out. Kevin can't help with the speaking - none of the people that Nightrival and he speak to have the ability which Slathliss and Emerald seemed to possess. He tries to help Nightrival out with people who look like they might be of help, but none of his guesses seem to pay off. He seems to grow more frustrated as the night goes on, which doesn't improve his disposition or his health. However, he is still of some use. He regularly aligns Nightrival's chakras, making him far more capable than Kevin is right now.

LiamHS.jpg

The shop is meticulously clean and organized. Glowing orbs and crystals of numerous colours are carefully displayed on wooden shelves along the wall. A thick red carpet is laid on the floor. Two spheres float near the ceiling and illuminate the room with a soft light. The merchant, a well-groomed man with an elaborately braided beard, is relaxed enough to give Nightrival and Kevin some valuable information

As Nightrival talks with the merchant in the shop, he experiences a strange sensation coming over him. He can't describe the feeling exactly, like he's standing two feet taller. His heart is beating loudly as though he had been exercising for hours. His vision is clear and his thoughts race like lightning, making him much more alert than usual.

He makes mental note of what the merchant tells him: he sent a man matching Eldrich's description to see . . . elven traders? Nightrival smirks to himself. They even 'ave elves 'ere? What next, Santa Claus?

He thanks the merchant and leaves the shop. "I dunno 'bout ya, man, but I'm feelin' funky," he says to Kevin. He looks up and down the street. "Like, I can take on th' whole Crime League or somethin'."

He spots a portly man in a turquoise robe calling out to the crowd, holding a vial of green powder in his hand. His stand, a large wagon adorned with banners on its side, holds more vials filled with powders of every hue imaginable. Nightrival walks towards him.

"That guy looks good," he whispers.

Sen heads back through he market district. One of the things he has learned over the years is it was the common people who held most of the answers. He went from stall to stall trying to locate the mages guild as well as any leads to Eldricht. The merchants greeted him with all smiles but when it became clear that he wasn't going to buy anything, their smiles vanished and they simply looked right through him to the next customer. It wasn't going well.

Sen kept his anger in tight rein but it wasn't easy. He turned to Slathiss. "Are you the only thief in this city? Are there not others who might know some more, a guild or soemthing?"

Kevin's getting tired. Even though it doesn't seem to take much effort to align someone's chi, it's beginning to feel like he's holding a twenty-pound barbell in each arm. It's not much weight, but it's starting to burn a little. Rather than let Nightrival know how difficult it is, he just smiles and nods as the martial artist mentions how good he feels.

Kevin wrinkles his forehead at Nightrival. "What do you mean? He must be at least 300 pounds. Is he saying something useful? I hate not being able to understand what anyone's saying. I almost wish we ran into more of whatever Slathliss is... or Emerald," he says, losing his concentration as he looks back to her.

Meanwhile, the merchant notices Nightrival's interest. He beams, sweeping his arms wide in front of his body. "Good evening and welcome sir! I can see that you have a discerning eye. Tell me, what is your interest? Distilled chlorine? Pure cold iron fillings? Dire bat fur? I have all the metamagical components that an arcanist could desire!" He shakes a different vial as he names each of the components, and looks back to Nightrival carefully to see if he reacts to any of them.

Slathliss shrugs slightly, not doing anything to help Sen's mood. "I have not been here long, and I try to go unnoticed. You and your friend were the only two to follow me for more than a few feet. I don't know about any Thieves' Guild."

He glances about the market. No one seemed to be looking at them. "You might want to keep your voice down. They won't notice me, but if you start talking about thieves, they'll pay attention to you," he says. "Do you want to try to find your friends now? Maybe they've have better luck... but it's another two hours before we said we'd meet again."

Sen Shook his head. "No we will continue looking. I do not intend to go back with nothing to show." Sen began walking away from the market disctrict. HE turned to Slathiss. "There must be a place where men gather to drink and eat. Inns. We will look there."

LiamHS.jpg

Kevin wrinkles his forehead at Nightrival. "What do you mean? He must be at least 300 pounds. Is he saying something useful? I hate not being able to understand what anyone's saying. I almost wish we ran into more of whatever Slathliss is... or Emerald," he says, losing his concentration as he looks back to her.

Nightrival doesn't notice Kevin's growing exhaustion; he does spot his voice trailing off when Kevin says that name. He grins knowingly and widens his eyes.

Emerald? Th' girl we bumped inta back there?

He leans towards Kevin. "I know, but the' guy back there said Eldrich was lookin' fer spell components; I gather tha' means stuff fer spells," he murmurs. "This guy looks like he's sellin' tha' eye o' newt junk spell-slingers are always usin'."

He pulls himself away and his voice returns to normal volume. "I'm sure ya'll meet 'er again, man. We seem ta be 'avin' strange luck these days."

He beams, sweeping his arms wide in front of his body. "Good evening and welcome sir! I can see that you have a discerning eye. Tell me, what is your interest? Distilled chlorine? Pure cold iron fillings? Dire bat fur? I have all the metamagical components that an arcanist could desire!" He shakes a different vial as he names each of the components, and looks back to Nightrival carefully to see if he reacts to any of them.

Nightrival looks at each vial with feigned interest, lifting his eyebrows and nodding when each vial is presented to him. He allows the merchant to exhibit his wares for a minute before he gently places his hand around the merchant's wrist, adding enough pressure to get the merchant's attention but not threaten him.

"Those look pretty good, man. But 'fore we git down ta brass tacks I wonderin' if ya can 'elp me out. This friend o' mine, a tall guy wit' black 'air and this white curl in th' front, was lookin' fer spell, um, components. Yeah, components. Anyway, I'm lookin' fer 'em so's I can surprise 'em wit some o' yer . . . whatever it is ya got there. 'Ave ya seen 'em around lately?"

"Ah, you are friends with the Sorcerer Eldrich?" the merchant says. "Not a copper to his name, but the things that he could do even without my goods... I remember he was here two days ago, and he bartered for everything that he had wanted from me. Ah, but wait! I did get in a shipment of white dragon scales just yesterday, and he might be interested in them. Sorcerers usually are."

Kevin doesn't understand what's being said, but he recognizes when the name Eldrich gets said. He looks over to Nightrival.

"What did he just say?" he asks, then realizes that Nightrival needs to listen to the merchant. He shuts himself up, somewhat abashed.

As Sen and Slathliss look through the various inns and bawdy houses near the wizards' district, they finally come across a small creature that looks like an old man, about three and a half feet high. Although he's wrinkled and missing most of the hair on the top of his head, his eyes are still young. He's three sheets to the wind, which might explain why he's up for Sen's questions.

"Oh, I remember seeing a man like that last week. Or was it a couple of days ago? Looked like a skunk with that hair. Anyway, he was walking along through the market, and I saw another wizard with red hair looking after him. I figured they knew each other, but the red-haired one just kept following him," he says.

Stepping away from the old man. Sen decides to continue his investigation. This time the young swordsman heads further into the city searching for clues as well as keeping his eyes peeled for any wizards in red.

He turns to Slathiss. "What do you know of these Wizards. do they often fight each other?"

NightrivalHS.jpg

"What did he just say?" he asks, then realizes that Nightrival needs to listen to the merchant. He shuts himself up, somewhat abashed.

Nightrival lifts his hand and smiles politely. "Jus' a sec," he says to Kevin. "I'm talkin' over 'ere."

He turns to face the merchant; a smile is still firmly planted on his face. "Sorry. My friend's new in town. Anyway, did Eldrich say anthin' ta ya, like why 'e wanted so much o' yer stuff? Did 'e say where 'e was goin'?"

Slathliss shrugs in response to Sen's question, "The powerful often fight one another, usually to gain more power. Wizards are no different." The two men continue through the gates, back out of the merchant district. Slathliss doesn't bother to point it out to Sen, though it is a little quieter in this area.

It turns out that their detour was worth it. One of the laborers that they speak with remember a mage in blood-red robes heading north a couple of days ago. He was rude, nearly shoving the man over, and seemed to be following someone, though the man didn't see who (or at least, he couldn't remember).

Kevin bites his cheek rather than saying anything further. He could still understand what Nightrival was saying - something that Nightrival probably didn't realize. They might have to talk about that later.

The merchant glances over to Kevin, "Ah, yes, I see. No, he did not, and it is difficult to say, for there are many things that they could be used for. So many spells can be enhanced with my wares, that nearly anything could be done with them." He remembers the second question and shakes his head, "He had said that he intended to return home later that evening. I gathered that he came a great distance to buy from me, though of course, my reputation extends far beyond Freeport."

Sen turns to snake like serpentine companion. "I think we have done enough for now. We will return to our meeting spot." Sen didn't feel particularly satisfied with their trip. He had hoped to find something more direct than what he had found here.

"Perhaps the others have found something useful," He added hopefully.

The merchant narrows his eyes at Nightrival and says, "You seem much more interested in your 'friend' than you do in my wares." He glances down at Nightrival and Kevin's waists and frowns. "And you have no coin. Unless you are looking to buy something, stop wasting my time."

Kevin speaks to Nightrival in a voice that seems carefully neutral. "I don't know what he just said, but I think that I can guess," he says.

It's growing close to the time that Nightrival and Kevin had said that they'd meet back up with Slathliss and Sen. At least, they think it is. There aren't any clocks to help gauge the time.

Slathliss nods, "We have already found more than what I would have expected. Your friend must be very powerful for anyone to have noticed him at all. I don't know where you come from, but I don't think you realize how large a place Freeport is." He begins walking back toward the meeting place behind Sen.

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival shrugs his shoulders at the merchant. "I got other ways ta pay fer stuff, but if yer not interested than we'll go our way."

He smirks then looks to Kevin. "Yer guess is spot on," he says. He motions in the direction of their meeting place. "Let's get outta 'ere; we gotta meet th' other guys."

He turns away from the irate merchant and casually walks down the street. I wonder what 'e coulda told us. I think we got enough info, though. Well, I 'ope we do. Before long, Nightrival stands at the location where the others agreed to meet.

"Maybe those guys 'ad better luck," he utters to Kevin.

Sen could see Nightrival standing at their meeting area. The shinobi turned to look at the two as they approached. Sen wandered what they had found. When he got close to the pair he jumped straight in. "Eldricht was last seen going north a few days past. IT seems he was being followed," He continued. "A mage in Blood red robes. Maybe an Ally." Leaving the other more likely scenario unspoken. Maybe an enemy.

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival nods at Sen and Slathliss when they appear.

"Yeah, our guy was 'ere," he replies. "Eldrich was lookin' ta buy magic stuff - maybe it was a milk run fer 'em - and 'e was sent ta see some . . . elves. Fer th' record, I never wanna say that sentence again."

He grins and and leans against a brick wall. "So I take it th' elves are up north. That's our next stop. Whattaya guys think?"

Kevin looks to Sen and Nightrival, then frowns.

"I need a break, guys. I can't keep going tonight... and honestly, this is the sort of place I don't really want to be walking around in the dark. I got jumped in daylight and no one did anything; it'd probably be worse now when there's no one watching," he says. Slathliss looks to them and shrugs. It seems like he'll let the other two make the decision for the group. For his part, Kevin doesn't look like he's exaggerating. The shadows under his eyes look even darker than they should be, and he can barely keep his eyes open.

Sen tapped his sword hilt, a habit he had when he was annoyed. HE was about to angriy assert that they go on. He did not like to wait. Though in truth he had no idea where they were going. Only to the north. "Very well," he added. "There were some inns near the waterfront I belive."

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin relaxes as Nightrival and Sen agree, even if Sen's agreement is grudging at best.

"Thank you, guys. I hope I'm not holding you back too much," he says. "So we go looking for the elf merchants and that other wizard in red robes tomorrow."

Slathliss glances between the other three men. He frowns to himself as he looks at each of their waists. Though it doesn't look like he wants to speak up, he has to say something.

"None of you have any money. I remember that. I can't afford to put us all up in an inn," he says. "Unless, of course, you want to give me ten minutes to see if I can find someone willing to help us out..."

LiamHS.jpg

"None of you have any money. I remember that. I can't afford to put us all up in an inn," he says. "Unless, of course, you want to give me ten minutes to see if I can find someone willing to help us out..."

"Do it," Nightrival quickly answers. "We're kinda workin' a crisis at th' moment. Sometimes cuttin' corners will be our only option. We'll wait fer ya 'ere."

Slathliss bows slightly and makes his way away from the group. He seems to fade from their sight into the crowd.

"You know he's just going to steal the money from someone else, don't you," Kevin says, not asking a question. He sighs, because he knew too, and he didn't say anything about it. He knows exactly how it feels to get pickpocketed, but their only other choice is sleeping in an alley somewhere, and waking up worse off than he's already feeling.

Slathliss returns to them and pats a pouch of coins at his side.

"This should be enough for a room at a cheap inn, and maybe some bread in the morning," he says. "I know a place where they don't ask questions of folks. It's about twenty minutes away. Think your friend can hold on that long?"

"I'm fine," Kevin says, a little sharply. "Or I'll be fine long enough to get to this inn you're bringing us to. What's it called?"

"It doesn't really have a human name," Slathliss says. "The best translation I've heard is 'Better Than Staying Outside'."

Kevin rolls his eyes and mutters "Great", but gets ready to follow Slathliss.

• 4 weeks later...

The trio follow Slathliss. The neighborhood seems to grow steadily rougher, and Kevin tries to stay awake and standing. It's clear that he's having trouble, but the four of them finally make it to the inn. The sign above the inn looks more like an abstract painting than a depiction of any actual thing. Inside the inn, it looks like most of the people inside are non-human. The ones without scars are a distinct minority. There's a few of them playing dice in a corner, and most of the rest of them are drinking at the bar.

As soon as Kevin makes it across the threshold, he falls into the door. His eyes roll back into his head.