A Pirate's Life for Me

Heridfel

Slathliss hisses in amusement, a confusing sound coming from his human-looking mouth.

"I have not purchased anything since I got here. People still see what they expect to see," he says. "The Shadow does have some benefits. After a time, you can all speak the same tongue, and all appear to be your broodmates." His amusement leaves him, and his nose flares as he thinks about what he just said. "Of course, it makes it harder to find out who really is your friend, and how to find your way home. The gifts are tiny roses amidst a thornbush."

He walks on in silence for a few seconds, then looks to Nightrival. "For what it is worth, you do not stand out. You are a monk, yes, from another world's monastery? I might think you one of the Dark Brothers, but none of them would show their faces to anyone but those they intend to kill," Slathliss says.

Kevin glances back to the elf as Sen continues to speak with her. Something is knawing on him, and he's finally figured out what it is. She's speaking in English, it sounds like, even though the other people here can't. She's definitely not human, and can't be from Earth, so she has to have some way of just being able to speak with anyone. He's about to ask her how she does it when he realizes that it might be smarter to not trumpet his ignorance. Perhaps the rest of the conversation will provide hints.

"Welcome to Freeport, Sen," she says. "I am known as Emerald." She glances down to her feet where the lion man is stirring.

"While you might wish to fight an angry Rurm, I do not. Perhaps we will meet again."

She begins to walk off, as graceful in her movement as in all of her other actions. Where Sen had moved like a wildfire, darting through each opening as it appeared at a great speed, Emerald flows like water. People move out of her way unconsciously. Kevin frowns as she hurries off. There must be a way to do it. Now, he just has to find out what that way is.

At the same time, Slathliss and Nightrival show up near Sen and Kevin. Kevin glances over to the man who tried to pickpocket him, and he wilts under Kevin's gaze. Kevin looks far more intimidating than either Sen or Nightrival have seen him before.

"You going to hand back what you took from me?" he demands, then gestures to repeat the question, assuming that Slathliss doesn't speak English. Slathliss doesn't even speak, glancing fearfully to Nightrival to explain it to his friend.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LiamHS.jpg

"Hm. I reckon yer right," replies Nightrival. He finally pinpoints Sen and Kevin and grins to himself. "Folks 'ave a tendency to see what they wanna see. Ah well, if ya think I ain't all conspicuous, I won't bother wit' a change o' clothes." He shrugs his shoulders. "Here I was, hopin' ta get a souvenir."

Nightrival listens intently to Slathliss as he describes the Shadow, but he doesn't inquire further. He lets Slathliss's words ferment in his head and waits until he gathers more details before he says more. Does th' Shadow 'ave anythin' ta do with Eldrich? Is that why 'e's missin'?

"I ain't no monk, but I've seen the inside o' a few monastaries." He dreads at the thought of encountering a Dark Brother.

He shoulders past the odd pedestarians and reaches his companions. He sees a lion-man lying unconscious at their feet, and a graceful woman leaving their company. He peeks at the woman and is struck by her elegance and beauty; his heart pounds against his chest and his hands tremble like a autumn leaf. He shakes his head to regain his composure and jabs his thumb at the lion-man.

"I 'ate it when I miss a fight," he sighs.

Kevin glances over to the man who tried to pickpocket him, and he wilts under Kevin's gaze. Kevin looks far more intimidating than either Sen or Nightrival have seen him before.

"You going to hand back what you took from me?" he demands, then gestures to repeat the question, assuming that Slathliss doesn't speak English. Slathliss doesn't even speak, glancing fearfully to Nightrival to explain it to his friend.

Nightrival takes a step back when he sees, or rather feels, Kevin's anger directed towards Slathliss. I need ta diffuse this fast or we're never gonna find Eldrich. He gently places his hand on Kevin's shoulder and gestures to Slathliss with his palm facing up, making sure his arm acts as a barrier between the two.

"It's alright," he explains, "Slathliss 'ere didn't take anythin', least that's what 'e claims. 'E's agreed ta help us find our friend, an' I tol' 'em ya guys will know what 'e looks like and all that. I never met th' guy," he adds, shortly followed by a subtle wink.

Sen had stared at the woman a monument longer. Emerald what a strange name. His thoughts were interrupted by Nightrival's approach. Sen is momentarily stunned when he sees the snake man in two, but before he could speak Kevin does. Sen is slightly taken aback by the venom in Kevin's voice.

Despite Nightrival's assurance Sen continues to frown at Slathiss. "How does he propose to help us?" he demanded.

LiamHS.jpg

Despite Nightrival's assurance Sen continues to frown at Slathiss. "How does he propose to help us?" he demanded.

"By guidin' us through Freeport," answers Nightrival. "'E knows 'is way around, and right now we need that. We'd jus' be wanderin' around without a clue otherwise. Am I right?"

He moves next to Slathliss and lets his arms hang at his sides.

Kevin pauses for a moment as Nightrival answers his question. He hadn't been sure himself if anything was taken. His anger was mostly at himself, for not even noticing the man. He hadn't seemed angry so much as threatening, making it clear that he wasn't afraid of the man.

"I still want to look away. Why?" he asks, somewhat confused and much less intimidating in his demeanor. "But we have to get moving. If this guy wakes up, I don't want to be around."

He starts moving away. Since he's the slowest mover of the group, it's easy for them to keep up if they want to. Once Kevin has his back turned to Slathliss, Slathliss says, "I am sorry." For a wonder, he even sounds contrite. "I will help you find this man you seek."

Kevin doesn't face him and keeps walking. Even so, inside his head, he thinks "Another person who speaks English." Out loud, he says, "A man about my height, but not as many muscles. Black hair with a white stripe down the middle. Blue eyes, and a little more pale than I am. Probably dressed like me. Sound familiar?"

Slathliss follows after him, "He dresses like a mage, like you. He's probably been to the arcanists' guild, or through some of the markets. Do you know why he was here?"

LiamHS.jpg

"He dresses like a mage, like you. He's probably been to the arcanists' guild, or through some of the markets. Do you know why he was here?"

Nightrival shrugs his shoulders. "I dunno."

He walks beside Slathliss, keeping behind Kevin. His eyes casually scan the street for danger. They've only been in Freeport for a short time and already they've encountered trouble on two occasions. Nightrival finds himself growing weary of the city and its inhabitants.

"Tho' the arcanist's guild sounds like a good place ta start 'fore we hit th' streets for information," he suggests. "Whattaya guys think?"

Sen thought a minute. He did not trust this snake man in the least and would be done with him as soon as possible. Yet he had come here to find Eldricht and he had to keep that mission foremost in his mind. An aracanist's guild sounded like a den of wizards, maybe they would know more. "Perhaps that would be wise."

A sudden thought popped into his head. Sen turned to his companions. "How is it that the people here all speak our language?"

Kevin groans softly, "I never thought I'd wish that I played those games with the wizards and the dragons and whatever. It's like they're speaking a foreign language."

He glances back to Slathliss, forcing himself to look towards the man. "Maybe if someone saw him there, we could get better directions."

Slathliss looks over to Sen as he asks his question, "I do not know. For me, it is an aftereffect of the shadow. Most others here that are not from this world cannot be understood."

"Emerald understood us, and we understood her," Kevin says. Slathliss furrows his brow as he hears this.

"There are some who use magic to change their words before they are heard, so that all may understand them. Maybe this is what she did?" he suggested. Kevin's response is a frustrated shrug.

"So does that make her an arcanist or something? She was an elf," he says, as if that might make a difference. Now it's Slathliss' turn to shrug.

"Many elves study the arcane arts. It could be," he says. Around them as they walk, they hear a variety of conversations, but none of them in English. Most of them have the same cadence that suggests that they are the same language, but there are pockets of other more exotic sounding tongues. Kevin glances back to Sen and Nightrival nervously. If they can't speak the main language in Freeport, then they'll be forced to rely upon Slathliss to do all their translating.

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival recognizes the expression on Kevin's face. Slathliss and the Freeport locals do speak perfect English, and Nightrival never questioned how they happen to be able to communicate. He assumes that some people can just speak the language, regardless of location.

"When I did my time travelin' around, I always needed 'elp wit' th' local langauge," he explains. "Either someone translated fer me or I 'ad to find someone who spoke English. Ain't no shame in 'avin' a guide."

"Did you say time traveling?" Kevin asks. "Wow. I mean, I haven't been a hero for long, but I've never even been off the continent. Heck, the only times I've been out of the country have been to Mexico."

He realizes that he sounds pretty dull to the two superheroes. Backpedaling a little, he adds, "I mean, I did get to fight against some aliens once. It didn't make the news, though, so I don't have any way to prove it."

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival chuckles. "Sorry, man. I meant, th' time I spent travelin' 'round th' world. I gotta funny way of talkin'; I should work onnit. I've been across most of this ol' planet but I ain't gone back ta see th' Victorians and caught myself some cholera."

He rubs the back of his neck and looks inside the shop windows as he continues walking.

"If it means anythin', I 'aven't seen that much o' th' States," reaasures Nightrival. "I've only gone as far as Philly."

The four of them fall into silence as they keep walking down the street. Kevin slows up and looks at Slathliss.

"Am I going the right way? I realized that everyone's following me," he asks Slathliss.

"I didn't want to say anything," Slathliss said. "We'll get there eventually this way, but there's a more direct way a block back." He looks apologetic, but it's clear that he isn't very confident. The three men from Freedom City seem to work better with one another than him, and he can feel that he's the outsider. For his part, Kevin sighs.

"Next time, tell me if I'm going the wrong way. I just wanted to get away from that Rurm guy," he grumbles. "Oh, right. If you see one of them, don't smile at them." He reverses course, gesturing for Slathliss to take the lead. Reluctantly, he does.

Slathliss looks over Kevin again as he walks by him. "You are strong for a magician. I expect you surprised him," he says. "Most mages fall apart when someone prevents them from moving their hands."

"I'm no mage. I just have a trick or two up my sleeve," Kevin says, shaking his head.

The four of them come up to a large stone gate. It's unbarred, and the doors are wide-open. Beyond it, several stalls dot the courtyard, and vendors hawk their goods in unintelligble languages. Kevin frowns again, but turns back to look at Slathliss to lead them on.

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival listens to Kevin and Slathliss's conversation as he walks with the group. He is still alert, watching the crowds from the corner of his eye, but he slightly drops his guard to heed their interaction. Kevin's exasperation is understandable, given their guide's alien nature and Freeport's menagerie of potentially dangerous inhabitants.

Nightrival sympathizes with Slathliss, if only a little, since he was always the outsider in his travels. When they stop at the gate he marvels at its size and the roar emanating from the merchants. He gets a whiff of cinnamon, lemons and roasted pork. For now, he remains silent and follows Slathliss through the gate. He glances at the stalls to spot anything that would make an interesting souvenier.

The four men walk through the bazaar. There are things there that are somewhat familiar, like the sausage-like meats that hang from one of the stalls, and things that defy simple description. Kevin's stomach rumbles as he catches a whiff of the food.

"Mmm," he says as he rubs his stomach. "I don't know how long it's been since I ate. I have no idea what time it is."

Slathliss looks back to the group and eyes them appraisingly. He reaches down to his side, pulling out a small pouch.

"Here, take some coin and get yourselves something to eat. I saw someone over there who might be able to help us out," he says. He pulls out a few silver coins and hands them to Kevin. Before Kevin can protest, Slathliss says, "You just point, and then show two of the coins. That should get you the food you were asking about. There should be enough there for all of you to get something."

Kevin shuts his mouth and nods, grudgingly. He looks back to Nightrival and Sen and asks, "Either of you want something from that cart?"

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival dutifully follows the others through the bazaar, his senses are overwhelmed by the sheer number of items available to buy. He presumes some of these merchants are selling illegal goods, but that's the least of his concerns right now. The mere sight of meat grilling on open fires and brightly coloured fruit hanging from stalls reminds Nightrival just how hungry he actually is. During their walk he finally felt his stomach rumble. The last time he ate was before he arrived at Master Lee's and met Sen and Kevin for the first time.

He doesn't grow suspicious of their guide when Slathliss lends Kevin a few coins to purchase food. His hunger overtakes his common sense, though a small thought emerges from the loud gurgling in his guts.

If Slathliss 'ere is a thief, then those coins musta belonged in someone else's pocket.

"Either of you want something from that cart?"

"Fer sure; I'm starving over 'ere. I'll come with ya an' pick somethin' out, though I 'ope they do chili dogs."

He turns to Slathliss. "I ain't gonna ask where ya got those coins. Beggars can't be choosers, and all that. But I appreciate th' gesture. Yer alright in my books, Slathliss."

Sen paced the others silently as he took in his surroundings. He was careful not to gawk because he believed that is what had attracted a thief like Slathiss, though it was difficult. Sen had never seen such an assemblage of strange sights before. He recognized street vendors well enough as they hawked their stragne wares. He glanced at a crowd of people gathered around two people men. One was a human stripped down to a loincloth, the other was some sort of reptillain creature with miniature black scales like armor. The human held a lit torch to his mouth and spit out a ball of flame into the dragon's face, then to Sen's amazement the reptile sucked the bright flames into his nostrils. The crowd cheered and some threw odd shaped coins at the twos feet as they bowed.

When Kevin made his offer for food Sen finally noticed the scent of searing meat. Salvia instantly sprung up in his mouth, but the samurai shook his head. "No I am not-" The sound of his belly groaning cut him off. Sen flushed slightly. "I...perhaps a bit wouldn't hurt."

Kevin gives Sen a half-smile as his stomach rumbles as well.

"Sounds like we can all use something. I'd go for the sausage, but you guys think it's safe for us to eat? Or... Slathliss?" he says, looking around. "Dang it; I lost him again."

He passes a couple of coins over to Sen and Nightrival, grumbling as he does so, "That can't be natural. I mean, he was right in front of me."

Kevin starts to smile as he walks towards the cart, but then remembers what happened the last time he smiled at someone. Instead, he settles for smiling with his lips, but not showing any teeth. Not speaking the language isn't a major impediment. After the vendor babbles something at him (smiling as he does so), Kevin points to the meat pastry and says, "That one."

The vendor can't understand Kevin any better than Kevin can understand him, but what Kevin wants is fairly clear. He holds up three fingers, and then points to the pastry. Kevin narrows his eyes. He hasn't done much bargaining himself, but he's used to the concept from some of his day trips down to Mexico. He sniffs towards the food, makes a face and says "It doesn't even smell fresh". The tone is clear, even though he knows that the man can't understand his words. He holds up a single finger.

The cart owner rears back in outrage and begins to harangue Kevin. Not understanding the words is a blessing here because Kevin's forced to read his body language. He can tell that the man isn't truly angry, and he's ready when the man slows up and grudgingly holds up two fingers. Pulling out two coins, he hands them over to the man, who passes him the food. If either Nightrival or Sen come up to the vendor, he'll watch to make sure that they get the same price that he did.

LiamHS.jpg

After watching Kevin interact with the vendor, he jingles the coins in his hand and approaches the stall. Kinda like most markets I've been ta. Whatever it is that Kevin ordered suits Nightrival's appetite and he's about to point out what he wants when he hears Kevin behind him. He spins around and his eyes search the market for their guide. Slathliss is indeed gone.

"What? That snake! He ditched us!"

He returns to the stall and thrusts his finger at the pastries. "I'll 'ave what he's 'aving," he growls at the vendor, then slams his coins onto the makeshift counter. Nightrival grabs his wares without looking at the vendor and clumsily tucks them under his belt. He stands next to his two companions.

"We gotta find Slathliss or we'll be wanderin' all over this crazy town lookin' fer th' guild."

Slathliss' voice comes from behind Nightrival.

"I said I would be back, did I not?" he asks as he reappears from the crowd. He doesn't sound angry - more curious. Once again, his reappearance comes as a surprise to Kevin.

"I had been looking straight at Nightrival, and I didn't see him!" he thinks to himself, annoyed in equal parts at his own lack of awareness and whatever ability that Slathliss possesses to go unnoticed.

"I saw a merchant selling these," Slathliss continues, holding up two small black pearls between his fingers. They look expensive. "These pearls should help you with the language here. Place one under your tongue, and you should be able to speak the Common tongue," he says. "After you eat, of course. You wouldn't want to swallow it. I'm afraid he only had two - one of you will have to do without."

Kevin makes a face, but he nods. Looking to Sen and Nightrival, he says, "You two take 'em. I'll get by as I can."

LiamHS.jpg

"I said I would be back, did I not?" he asks as he reappears from the crowd. He doesn't sound angry - more curious.

Nightrival spins around to face Slathliss. Oddly, Nightrival is not surprised by his sudden appearance.

"Yeah. Sorry 'bout that," he says. "When ya said ya were goin' ta check somethin' out, I didn't think ya were gonna disappear. In my experience, when someone does that, they ain't comin' back." He shrugs his shoulders. "Meh. No 'arm, no foul."

He examines the black pearl in Slathliss's hand. Removing the pastry from his belt, now slightly crushed, he bites into it while listening to Slathliss explain how the pearls work. The pastry crust is stale, but the filling resembles spiced sausage. Nightrival finds the food delicious and he quickly devours it. When Slathliss finishes speaking, the vigilante nods his head.

Kevin makes a face, but he nods. Looking to Sen and Nightrival, he says, "You two take 'em. I'll get by as I can."

"Sounds good ta me," he replies, "and if ya need it, well, I'll clean it off as best I can."

He delicately picks up one of the pearls and drops it under his tongue.

"That's some smart thinkin', man," he admits to Slathliss.

Kevin walks away from the cart so that he's not eating directly in front of it. He sniffs it before biting into it, then takes a cautious bite. He shrugs and starts to eat the rest of it.

"Could use some hot peppers," Kevin says. "Still, way my stomach's been lately, it's probably good it doesn't." Bringing up his earlier nausea seems to unsettle him a little. He glances down where a watch would be and finds that he left it with the rest of his clothes. "What time is it, anyway?"

Slathliss glances up to the sky, "It will be nightfall in about an hour. You'll need to find lodging for later - you aren't going to find your mark tonight unless you're really lucky." Once Nightrival has finished his meal, Slathliss hands him one of the pearls.

The pearl fits under Nightrival's mouth and seems to sink in. He can test it by moving his tongue around, but it doesn't require any thought or effort to keep the pearl from being swallowed. It's certainly magic, as it would have to be, and the rest of Slathliss' promise comes true as well. Almost immediately, the din of the crowd seems to change from incomprehensible to English. There are still a few people calling out in other languages, but the majority of them are now understandable.

One of the things that Nightrival can pick out is "My pearls! Someone's made off with my pearls!" The shouts are coming from about 100 feet away, and they cut through the noise of the crowd. Kevin and Sen can both tell that someone's very upset over there, but don't know why.

Sen walked away from the stand with the pastry in his hand and a two coins left on the table. He at it quickly not wishing to waste time.

Sen had been planning a rather quick execution when Slathiss reappeared. The samurai grimaced but stayed silent. He listened as Slathiss explained the use of the pearl. Taking the pearl in his hand Sen held it up to the sun letting the light filter through. It seems he could somehow make out small plays of energy inside.

Sen watched as Nightrival placed the pearl in his mouth, then he followed suit. There was a brief period of silence then the world burst back into sound. Except in a language Sen could understand. Unfortunetly the first thing he heard is about the theft of pearls.

Sen glared at Slathiss, but he remembered he had a mission to accomplish. HE turned to meet eyes with Nightrival. The samurai in him spoke of honor, but the same voice also spoke of his duty. "Perhaps we should get going?"

LiamHS.jpg

Nightrival turns his head in the direction of the shouting. At the same time, he tries to understand why the pearl has vanished inside his mouth though he knows, in some instintive way, its actually still there. Plus, he's momentarily shocked to hear almost everyone speaking English. He forces himself to break the spell in time to hear Sen, whose words nearly slip past him.

"Perhaps we should get going?"

"Yer right. Let's get outta 'ere 'fore we 'ave to explain ourselves ta th' local cops," he replies with a nod.

Nightrival understands the samurai's perspective; they have a responsibility and it must be fulfilled. He beckons the others to quickly depart, but not before he shoots a disapproving glare at Slathliss.

Slathliss either doesn't notice Nightrival's glare or chooses to not respond to it. At the same time, Kevin puts two and two together between the shouting and Nightrival's mention of the cops. He rolls his eyes.

"You're a klepto, aren't you? Great," he says. He swallows the last bite of the meat pastry and starts walking in the direction that they were going before they stopped for food. He looks unhappy, but for another reason.

"You're sure we won't find him tonight?" he asks Slathliss. "I thought you knew this place like the back of your hand."

"There are thousands of people in Freeport. If the man you seek does not wish to be found, then there are many places he could hide," Slathliss answers. The shouting behind them seems to be dying down, as the merchant has realized that no one even saw the theft take place.

"Great. Just great," Kevin says. He looks back to Sen and Nightrival. "I didn't want to say anything before, but... I was being treated for radiation poisoning. I should be at the Goodman building tomorrow for them to see how I'm doing." He sighs. "This sounded more important. If I don't get back, I could be fine, or I could not be. I don't know."

"Perhaps a cleric could treat your poison," Slathliss says. "There are several over in the temple district."

LiamHS.jpg

Walking behind the group, Nightrival occasionally glances over his shoulder to make sure they're not being followed. He has no desire to lecture Slathliss on ethics at the moment; their mission is too important to be derailed by Nightrival trying to impose his views on right and wrong on someone who is not entirely human. He forgets the incident and and divides his attention between his companions and his surroundings.

"I didn't want to say anything before, but... I was being treated for radiation poisoning. I should be at the Goodman building tomorrow for them to see how I'm doing." He sighs. "This sounded more important. If I don't get back, I could be fine, or I could not be. I don't know."

"What? Radiation posioning?" he exclaims, his face flushed white. "How'd ya manage ta - ah, forget it. Ya live in Freedom City. I'm surprised we all don't got radiation poisoning or alien parasites. We'll find ya help, don't worry."

"Perhaps a cleric could treat your poison," Slathliss says. "There are several over in the temple district."

"Clerics? Ya mean . . . priests? I dunno if they're gonna be any help." he replies bitterly. Nightrival then softens his voice. "Why don't ya jus' lead us ta this arcanist's guild an' we can get Kevin th' help 'e needs there?"