A Pirate's Life for Me

Heridfel

Kevin takes a deep breath and immediately wishes that he hadn't. Nightrival's comment about the smell was dead-on. He shakes his head slightly and says, "No, I'm good. I just wasn't expecting that."

He takes a step forward and looks around, taking in the city. "So where to? I'm guessing you guys have a plan to try to find this Master Mage. Actually, before that... I was thinking about what Sallah said, about names. Maybe shouting out my real name might not be a good idea, if there's some way to use magic against me with it. I don't know; I'll think about it," he says.

Two squid-faced creatures, looking a little like Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean, walk by the three men. One of them gestures towards them with a face tentacle, and the other one emits some sort of "snork" sound. The two of them continue on, but the men get the impression that they're still being watched.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NightrivalHS.jpg

"I'm glad ta hear it," replies Nightrival as he closely watches the two tentacled creatures walk past. "Yer probably right about names. Ya guys know more 'bout magic than I do; I'll follow yer lead." When the creatures are far enough away, a slight shiver shoots down his spine. I hope don't hafta punch guys like that.

"I suppose our next move is ta ask questions," he continues, swatting a fat fly away from his face. "Maybe check out some local waterin' holes by the docks there. I'm sure they see alotta action and hear even more rumours."

NightrivalHS.jpg

"I'm glad ta hear it," replies Nightrival as he closely watches the two tentacled creatures walk past. "Yer probably right about names. Ya guys know more 'bout magic than I do; I'll follow yer lead." When the creatures are far enough away, a slight shiver shoots down his spine. I hope don't hafta punch guys like that.

"I suppose our next move is ta ask questions," he continues, swatting a fat fly away from his face. "Maybe check out some local waterin' holes by the docks there. I'm sure they see alotta action and hear even more rumours."

Kevin glances over to Nightrival, or Conor, or Liam - it seems like the man has many names, and it's not clear which one's real (though it is probably not Nightrival). If he thinks that Kevin knows more about magic than he does, then it's up to Sen to carry all three of them. Of course, the way he is dressed, he probably looks more knowledgeable than he is.

He starts walking in the way that Nightrival gestured, talking as he does so.

"And what do we want to start asking about? I got the feeling that they were trying to keep this quiet back where we're from. We probably should keep quiet here too," he says. "Also, either of you want to do the talking, or should I? I'm pretty good with people..." he trails off. A man who walked by him appeared normal from the front, but his back is dominated by a set of nine fox tails, hanging in a way that makes clear that they're all a part of him. Kevin follows him with his eyes for a second before lowering his voice.

"I just don't know if everybody here counts as people."

Kevin glances over to Nightrival, or Conor, or Liam - it seems like the man has many names, and it's not clear which one's real (though it is probably not Nightrival). If he thinks that Kevin knows more about magic than he does, then it's up to Sen to carry all three of them. Of course, the way he is dressed, he probably looks more knowledgeable than he is.

He starts walking in the way that Nightrival gestured, talking as he does so.

"And what do we want to start asking about? I got the feeling that they were trying to keep this quiet back where we're from. We probably should keep quiet here too," he says. "Also, either of you want to do the talking, or should I? I'm pretty good with people..." he trails off. A man who walked by him appeared normal from the front, but his back is dominated by a set of nine fox tails, hanging in a way that makes clear that they're all a part of him. Kevin follows him with his eyes for a second before lowering his voice.

"I think we should head towards the city, perhaps we can find something there." Sen manages with more confidence than he feels. He cannot seem to wrap his head around this strange new world. He had resisted his first overpowering instinct to simply behead the strange squid creatures. What had stopped him had been the bearing an manner they had carried themselves in, it seemed that they clearly belonged. Something he realized that they would soon learn.

"I think we should head towards the city, perhaps we can find something there." Sen manages with more confidence than he feels. He cannot seem to wrap his head around this strange new world. He had resisted his first overpowering instinct to simply behead the strange squid creatures. What had stopped him had been the bearing an manner they had carried themselves in, it seemed that they clearly belonged. Something he realized that they would soon learn.

NightrivalHS.jpg

"I think we should head towards the city, perhaps we can find something there."

Nightrival nods at the brave swordsman. "That's two fer headin' inta th' city. Let's get 'er done."

"And what do we want to start asking about? I got the feeling that they were trying to keep this quiet back where we're from. We probably should keep quiet here too," he says. "Also, either of you want to do the talking, or should I? I'm pretty good with people..." he trails off.

"Yeah, good call," replies Nightrival as he follows Kevin. "We'll keep a low profile while we're snoopin' around. I suppose we'll know th' right folks ta ask when we see 'em. But," he adds, "I'm only good at scarin' bad guys - sometimes - so maybe ya an' Sen should do th' talkin'."

Nightrival spots the fox-tailed citizen and scratches his head. I ain't in th' Southside anymore, he thinks, stepping wide to avoid a group of little green creatures with large pointed ears running along the cobbled walkway, chattering in high-pitched squeaks.

"Heh. I suppose where he's from, he counts as people." Nightrival suddenly remembers he's still wearing a mask. "Speakin' of people, I should look like one while I'm here." He pulls his mask off and tucks it under his belt.

"Oh, yeah. My name's jus' Liam. When Sallah told us ta pick a name, Connor jus' popped inta my head. Th' name has some . . . meanin' for me." Liam abruptly goes silent, continuing along towards the city with this eyes focused on the sea beyond.

NightrivalHS.jpg

"I think we should head towards the city, perhaps we can find something there."

Nightrival nods at the brave swordsman. "That's two fer headin' inta th' city. Let's get 'er done."

"And what do we want to start asking about? I got the feeling that they were trying to keep this quiet back where we're from. We probably should keep quiet here too," he says. "Also, either of you want to do the talking, or should I? I'm pretty good with people..." he trails off.

"Yeah, good call," replies Nightrival as he follows Kevin. "We'll keep a low profile while we're snoopin' around. I suppose we'll know th' right folks ta ask when we see 'em. But," he adds, "I'm only good at scarin' bad guys - sometimes - so maybe ya an' Sen should do th' talkin'."

Nightrival spots the fox-tailed citizen and scratches his head. I ain't in th' Southside anymore, he thinks, stepping wide to avoid a group of little green creatures with large pointed ears running along the cobbled walkway, chattering in high-pitched squeaks.

"Heh. I suppose where he's from, he counts as people." Nightrival suddenly remembers he's still wearing a mask. "Speakin' of people, I should look like one while I'm here." He pulls his mask off and tucks it under his belt.

"Oh, yeah. My name's jus' Liam. When Sallah told us ta pick a name, Connor jus' popped inta my head. Th' name has some . . . meanin' for me." Liam abruptly goes silent, continuing along towards the city with this eyes focused on the sea beyond.

"That's two fer headin' inta th' city. Let's get 'er done."

Kevin chuckles, "So you're a fan of Larry the Cable Guy? Me, I always preferred Bill Engvalls to him. Easier on the ears."

He stops suddenly in the street, and turns back to look at Nightrival and Sen. He focuses on Sen, because he suspects he already knows the answer that Liam will give.

"I just realized - do either of you know how to contact Sallah or Master Lee? I know I don't," he says. "It looks like maybe finding this guy is our only ticket back home, unless they decide to get a hold of us."

"That's two fer headin' inta th' city. Let's get 'er done."

Kevin chuckles, "So you're a fan of Larry the Cable Guy? Me, I always preferred Bill Engvalls to him. Easier on the ears."

He stops suddenly in the street, and turns back to look at Nightrival and Sen. He focuses on Sen, because he suspects he already knows the answer that Liam will give.

"I just realized - do either of you know how to contact Sallah or Master Lee? I know I don't," he says. "It looks like maybe finding this guy is our only ticket back home, unless they decide to get a hold of us."

Sen blinked at Kevin's words. It seems he had given little thought to their return voyage. "I belive it was Salah's intent for us to find Eldricht and have him return us." Sen managed. Though if it had been he didn't know because he had never asked, but Sen did not wish to look a fool. "I hope." He added at the end.

Sen blinked at Kevin's words. It seems he had given little thought to their return voyage. "I belive it was Salah's intent for us to find Eldricht and have him return us." Sen managed. Though if it had been he didn't know because he had never asked, but Sen did not wish to look a fool. "I hope." He added at the end.

LiamHS.jpg

"So you're a fan of Larry the Cable Guy? Me, I always preferred Bill Engvalls to him. Easier on the ears."

"Larry the Cable . . . ? Oh, right! That guy with the beard. He's alright; kinda loud, though."

Liam listens but only shrugs his shoulders in response. He is able to break the ocean's spell over him, shoving the memories of his family aside to soak in his new environment. The city's stench is slowly becoming tolerable, and he quickly adapts to the muddy uneven streets. Liam's travels have taken him to exotic locales, some hidden from common knowledge, and he's accustomed to being gawked at by curious or hostile natives. His stark black costume, on the other hand, does call unwanted attention to his presence.

Maybe I should look inta gettin' some local threads. I need ta blend in if we're goin' ta question th' locals.

LiamHS.jpg

"So you're a fan of Larry the Cable Guy? Me, I always preferred Bill Engvalls to him. Easier on the ears."

"Larry the Cable . . . ? Oh, right! That guy with the beard. He's alright; kinda loud, though."

Liam listens but only shrugs his shoulders in response. He is able to break the ocean's spell over him, shoving the memories of his family aside to soak in his new environment. The city's stench is slowly becoming tolerable, and he quickly adapts to the muddy uneven streets. Liam's travels have taken him to exotic locales, some hidden from common knowledge, and he's accustomed to being gawked at by curious or hostile natives. His stark black costume, on the other hand, does call unwanted attention to his presence.

Maybe I should look inta gettin' some local threads. I need ta blend in if we're goin' ta question th' locals.

Kevin nods, understanding. "Master Lee has that aura around him. You don't think to question him."

He looks around, pushing his way through people without actually doing them any harm. It would remind Sen and Nightrival of crowded streets in Asian countries, where the streets wouldn't have room for anything larger than bikes. The signs are written in many languages, but none of them seem to be English. There are a fair number of pictures to help out the illiterate, and Kevin heads towards one that looks like some sort of mug. The stuff coming out of the top of it could be foam, or it could be smoke. There's no way to tell from the limited skill of the artist.

Kevin nods, understanding. "Master Lee has that aura around him. You don't think to question him."

He looks around, pushing his way through people without actually doing them any harm. It would remind Sen and Nightrival of crowded streets in Asian countries, where the streets wouldn't have room for anything larger than bikes. The signs are written in many languages, but none of them seem to be English. There are a fair number of pictures to help out the illiterate, and Kevin heads towards one that looks like some sort of mug. The stuff coming out of the top of it could be foam, or it could be smoke. There's no way to tell from the limited skill of the artist.

LiamHS.jpg

"Hey!" shouts Liam when he feels someone bump into him. His eyes suddenly catch an unremarkable man probing Kevin for valubles to steal. He jerks away and turns to confront the pickpocket, but the thief has already retreated into the congested street. Liam shrugs his shoulders and looks to his two companions.

"At least he didn't get what he was lookin' fer. We'd better be careful in th' future."

He sees the painted sign swinging above the door. "Either they're sellin' drinks or soup. Whatta ya guys say we check it out?"

LiamHS.jpg

"Hey!" shouts Liam when he feels someone bump into him. His eyes suddenly catch an unremarkable man probing Kevin for valubles to steal. He jerks away and turns to confront the pickpocket, but the thief has already retreated into the congested street. Liam shrugs his shoulders and looks to his two companions.

"At least he didn't get what he was lookin' fer. We'd better be careful in th' future."

He sees the painted sign swinging above the door. "Either they're sellin' drinks or soup. Whatta ya guys say we check it out?"

Almost as soon as Liam shouts Sen bolts after the man. "Stop you thief!" Sen hollers as he bursts into motion. He has not unsheathed his katana but he wanted to. Sen shoves through the crowd doing his best to keep the man in view as he uses his speed to run him down.

LiamHS.jpg

Liam raises his eyebrows and cracks a lop-sided grin when Sen bursts forth to confront the pickpocket.

"I reckon we gotta hold off on th' detective work," he says to Kevin, then turns and runs after Sen.

Like Sen, he wedges himself between the crowd in pursuit of the thief. Mud squishes beneath his feet and he can smell the sour body odor radiating from the men and women filling the street. The crowd resists his breach into their ranks and he realizes the pickpocket could vanish while Liam struggles to move forward.

He looks up and notes the number of shoulders and heads clustered together. He places his hand on a shoulder belonging to a man sporting a massive belly and wearing a greasy leather apron, then jumps up onto his shoulders. He steps over to the next pair of shoulders, and the next and the next, following Sen above the throbbing crowd. He slightly sways back and forth as he keeps his balance walking across the unsuspecting pedestrians.

"'Scuse me. Sorry. 'Scuse me. I like yer hat. 'Scuse me."

Nightrival is outpacing Sen, despite Sen's superior speed. There's a lot of lost effort from having to dodge past people walking the other direction, and the would-be pickpocket seems to be adept in using the crowd to slow pursuers.

Meanwhile, Kevin pats down his pockets and pales when he realizes there's nothing in them. As he starts to run after Sen and Nightrival, he tries to remember whether he had moved his wallet over. There wouldn't be a need for it here, but it might have been habit. He doesn't try the fancy stuff that Nightrival did, but he has his own practice in trying to dodge people interested in blocking him. These ones aren't even trying to hold him back, but there are a lot more of them.

With a glance towards Sen, he... aligns his chi, apparently. "Have to remember that's what it is," he thinks to himself.

Then a more disturbing thought comes to mind. "Don't let them split us up!" he shouts ahead to the other two.

Cursing and shoving his way through the crowd, Sen continued to pursue the thief. The blade called to him begging to be drawn, but Sen feared to unleash the sword's blood lust in the crowded streets. Once begun he didn't know if he could control it. all the while Ronin kept his eyes on the man's back.

Suddenly Sen felt an enormous swell of energy. Suddenly sounds became crisper, colors more vibrant as some unnatural vitality seemed to burst throughout his body.Some how it became easier to dodge the crowed. IT was as if they were moving in slow motion.

The crowd seems to part before Sen like the Red Sea parted for Moses, so fast was he moving between the passersby. Nightrival's means of making his way through the crowd also made his pursuit of the indescript man very rapid. The man ducked down an alleyway to his left, throwing up a cloud of dust as he passed. Some of the people near him began choking on the dust, though it didn't appear to be anything more than dirt.

Kevin's way through the crowd is much slower. Not for the first time, he wishes that he could help himself as easily as he helps others. One of the beings he bumps into looks like a man with a distinctly leonine face. He roars at Kevin, who steps back for a moment and gives a friendly smile. Apparently, that wasn't good enough for the lion-man. He grabs Kevin with a pawlike hand, bringing the other one around as well.

LiamHS.jpg

As Liam races over the crowd's shoulders, a thought suddenly flashes in his mind.

If I take my mask off but keep th' rest o' th' costume on, am I Liam or Nightrival? Does th' mask keep the two seperate? Who am I at th' halfway point, even when I'm not in Freedom City? Maybe I'll stick wit' bein' Nightrival while I'm here.

He reaches the other end of the street, jumps down to the dusty streets amid the shrieks and yells in protest of using the crowd as Nightrival's improvised bridge, and follows the thief as he turns down the alley. Tentacles and claws and hands reach out from the outraged mass but they fail to connect. Nightrival ignores the cloud that erupted behind the thief and dashes right into it, not knowing he could be heading straight into danger.