Blod on the Dancefloor (IC)

Friday 22nd June 2012

Blodeuwedd couldn’t contain her excitement. Finally after all these months she was called upon to do the job she had been trained for. One of the Orders associate members called Nash had asked for her to visit him at a prearranged location to deal with an issue with a recently discovered artefact.

It was laughably easy to sneak out of Claremont’s academy, she sometimes suspected they allowed people to do that as long as they didn’t get caught, to the little apartment she maintained as part of a carefully constructed cover story. Tonight she wasn’t Blodeuwedd, or even Cerys, no tonight she was Ellis Bextor a 21 year socialite and party goer.

She inspected her look one last time before leaving her apartment. Her hair had been styled in one of the latest fashion she’d seen in a fashion magazine. Her body suit had been transformed into the classic little black dress, just the right side of decent, whilst she had decided on boot’s rather than heels to hide a few throwing knives, just in case. Her cloak was doing a much more vital job, currently invisible it concealed Dyrnwyn her sword. Finally she popped her goggles and a reasonable amount of spending money and she was ready for the night.

Sophie's, Riverside

Sophie was one of those fly by night club that occasionally sprang up on the Riverside. A cheap property kitted out with a kick ass sound system that played bleeding edge dance music from across the world. They tended to last a couple of months unless the crowd or better yet a celebrity or super adopted them as the Nightspot du Jour, normally closed down for their less stellar following of the cities statutes.

Sophie’s was still in the early days and people were cuing round the block to enter the establishment, whilst the beat thumped out promising the sweet beats contained within.

Ignoring the crowd Blodeuwedd sashayed to the bouncer on the door looking to all the world liked she belonged here. Of cause she was on the guest list, and if not it would be an easy matter to convince the bouncer she was.

For the first time in month Blodeuwedd really felt like herself, if only her school mates could see her now.

As a matter of considerable coincidence, one of them could!

Walking leisurely back to the bus stop, white shirt a little dusty from the construction site, Subito Sondo happened to be passing by the club with his hands in his jeans pockets and a broad smile on his face. The work had been quite exhilarating, the woman in charge had payed well, and nobody had taken a look at him and doubted he was old enough to work beside them for an instant. He was especially pleased at the last part.

So, with a fresh influx of funds, a new work contact, new friends(he cherished his adult friends quite deeply), and a general sense of accomplishment, he glanced with mild interest at the various bodies and clothes belonging to them making their queued way into the bar...

...and saw Cerys in a sleek black dress walking up to the door and the impressive bouncer blocking it like she owned the place. He nodded slightly, and turned back to the sidewalk. I didn't think Cerys was the dancing type of girl, though come to think of it I don't really know too much abou-WAIT, WHAT?! Cerys? Here?? Like..that?! he stopped dead, staring into the middle distance in shock as the revelation abruptly realized its full import. Turning back at her he made certain he had recognized her Yeah, that's her hair, her shoulders, she always seems to carry herself just like that. No doubt about it he thought, still amazed. Suddenly conscious he was openly staring at her he blushed furiously, glanced around in embarrassment and without thinking beyond Maybe I can help? How, exactly? he walked right up to Cerys.

On most occasions he would have been awkward about it, but in this case he just said to his schoolmate after waving to the bouncer "Hey. What's goin' on?"

It seems she was on the guest list and she felt a little disappointed that she wouldn't have to bluff her way in. It seemed that fate had other ideas in the shape of Subito.

Cerys knew Subito from school, he was one of those who had shown Certs around on that confusing first day. He also took the time to stop and say hello everytime there paths crossed, even though Certs couldn't look him in the eyes or manage more than a few words.

"Darling I thought we arranged to meet inside the club?" her normal accent was replaced with a near perfect local accent.

She threw her arms around him and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"What the Hell are you doing here? No don't answer that." she swapped to the other cheek "Tonight I'm called Ellis and I'm 21 years old. We'll sort this inside."

She let him go but instead grabbed hold of his hand.

"Come on I feel like dancing."

She dragged him into the clubs lobby before he or the bouncer had time to respond.

"Darling I thought we arranged to meet inside the club?" her normal accent was replaced with a near perfect local accent.

"...What? Whe-?" he began before the embrace and the kiss, his earlier blush returning in force.

Utterly dumbfounded he almost began trying to get out of her arms before she continued

"What the Hell are you doing here? No don't answer that." she swapped to the other cheek "Tonight I'm called Ellis and I'm 21 years old. We'll sort this inside."
staring at her he tried to say something vaguely questioning before she released him, only to stagger after her as she seized him by the hand and dragged him into the club, turning an imploring eye towards the bouncer.

Once inside, amid the slowly growing press of people dancing to the insistent beat of the music, he managed to ask "What?!"

Subito, I must instruct you in more dexterous speech, you will gain enormously by it commented the Blue Dame to his mind, her deep voice greatly amused by the situation.

She didn’t gain much comfort from Subito confusion and embarrassment; she’d had enough of that to learn a little humility. At least her time at school had taught her that much. Whilst he recovered his senses she managed to attract the barman and purchase a couple of drink, some cocktail that was a sexual innuendo for her and a simple beer for him. She thrust the drink into Subito hand.

“It’s just for show; you don’t have to drink if it you want. Not that I’m going to stop you.â€

She certain wasn’t going to touch her; she needed a clear head for the meeting. Already she had managed to accidently spill enough to make it seem she’d started the nights drinking.

“Answer me honestly if I tried to get away would you try to follow me?â€

Frowning on account of the throbbing lights, the powerfully-built Claremonter glanced at his color-shifting glass, wrinkling his nose at the smell of beer wafting up from it. "Yeah, I'll pass" he said gruffly, wishing it were red wine instead. That at least he had a taste for.

Thinking over her question, weighing the glass in his hand, and looking around at the dancing bodies quickly obscuring the room, his frown deepened a little before clearing. Meeting her gaze he answered frankly "Yeah, I would. This thing seems weird, 'specially for someone like you C-Ellis." he pretended to take a sip of the beer, inwardly relieved he hadn't stumbled over her cover name as much as he might have. Raising his head from it he added "But you're pro'lly pretty good at evading people trying to follow you?"

Blodeuwedd gave his comments some thoughts. He was right she could simply melt away into the crowd and he’d probably never be able to find him. It wasn’t pride it was just a simple matter of fact. But she suspected he would just blunder through the club trying to find her.

And something about this whole deal made her nervous something seemed slightly off, Nash hadn’t used “official†channels and contact her directly. So having some back-up wouldn’t hurt and from what she’d heard he was more than capable. Decision made she gave a friendly smile.

“Okay then follow me.â€

She led him through the club and past another bouncer into the club’s VIP section. Here the music wasn’t as loud and something approaching a normal conversation could be had. She picked a seat overlooking the dance floor and sat herself down.

“I’m guessing you have questions, go ahead I’ll answer what I can.â€

Sitting with as much care as he could, Subito looked up at the ceiling, than back at Cerys as he rolled over what he wanted to know. Settling for the question most likely to be answered he leaned forward on the table and began "Why are you here? Is this a stakeout or somethin'? A meeting with an informant? I'm real sorry if this is disrupting something important t'you" he added awkwardly, rubbing the back of his head with one hand as he leaned carefully back in the chair "but...you know. All the time when I see you at school you're always really quiet and subdued, not exactly the kind of person I'd think would be into dance clubs and stuff" glancing at the glass of beer still in his hand he quickly deposited it onto the table for safekeeping. That done he cleared his throat and continued, wishing the place didn't smell so weird "Also, is this something I can help with? Are you fighting some of that Evil you mentioned back when we first met?" a sudden look of unease came over his face and he asked nervously "...Are vampires involved?"

“No not normally.†It was simply a statement with very little humour. She looked like she was considering her options and there was a moment of silence before she next spoke.

“Well that was direct and to the point. I’m glad it you that found me, I admire your honesty and integrity and I know that if I ask you wouldn’t tell a soul what I’d said. Everything I told you the first day is mostly the truth, but there are thing I can’t and won’t tell you.†She paused to let this fact sink in before continuing.

“My family has more many generation protected the people of Wales, and by extension the rest of the UK, from threats from the malicious influence of the God’s and there servants. That includes magical artifacts that could cause human harm, that what I was trained to do but hook or I’m afraid crook and that why I’m here tonight.†She paused and took a deep breath; this was the more difficult part.

“I was never meant to wield Dyrnwyn or fight evil directly, I was sent to the school because the Seer had foreseen a possible threat. I’ve trained to infiltrate organizations and institutions to meld seamlessly with the people and discover the information I needed. The one place I wasn’t trained to be was High School, the one person I couldn’t become was Cerys. Cerys isn’t really who I am, this is who I am I’m Blodeuwedd.â€

There was a prolonged silence on Subito's end as he absorbed this new information. He tapped his foot unconsciously in time to the beat as his head lowered.

So...she's some kind of...magic Welsh James Bond? Help me out here Blue Dame

That is inaccurate, but for ease we will use that

Okay, so..she's a heroic spy kind of girl, and Cerys is a cover for a mission she's on here?

No, notice that she said that was someone she 'couldn't become'? That is her name, it would appear, but not her normal personality to my mind. What it could be is not known to me

Okay. I think I understand now. She's..an agent of some kind for a family that protects the U.K. from mystical threats, and uses magical artifacts to fight them?

...Yes

And she came here to find clues about some kind of threat to the world?

That is what she said

But the way she's been acting..is probably not the 'real'[ her?

Apparently not

...Geez. Okay, thanks O Dame

Raising his head after a moment he smiled at Blodeuwedd, saying earnestly "Thank you Cerys. It's a pretty big deal to me that you'd reveal a secret like that, and I'm really glad you did it. Don't worry" he added with a serious look "I'll never tell anyone what you told me without asking you first, I promise."

Leaning his folded arms on the table before him he bent closer and went on "So...you reavelin' that means I get to help with whatever it is that's going on?"

“I’d prefer Blodeuwedd if you could, at least when we’re not at school.â€

She scanned the room to see if her contact had arrived yet, it was still early so it gave her a chance to assess the situation fully. She didn’t want to tip her hand too early so keeping him out of the picture was a good idea. If trouble started, that would be when he was the most useful.

“Okay you can help, but I need you to stay here. If anything happens do what you can, don’t worry about me I’m more than capable.†She gave a confident little smile “If anyone asks, we’ve just met and you don’t know me. I know that means a little subterfuge, but I know you more than up to the job.â€

"Sure thing Blod'" came the energetic reply. Sitting up with better posture in the chair he added suddenly, slight concern on his face "Er..it's okay if I call you that, right? It's not offensive somehow?"

Listening with due care to her brief instructions, he nodded emphatically to demonstrate he'd understood, though the throb of the beat and the various distracting noises going on all around made that task a little more difficult than if he hadn't had his powers. "So I oughta say we just met and I don't really know you?" he grinned openly "Well, I'd say that is pretty much true, I've no problem with that." A sudden thought crossed his mind and he asked "Do you expect a fight is gonna happen?" glancing anxiously at the door. He was primarily concerned by the whole 'lots of people in an enclosed space potentially in danger' thing.

“No that would be fine, Blodeu is Middle Welsh for flower.“ she considered the rest of his question carefully and replied without irony “I always expect trouble, it save’s time in the long run.â€

She considered her option about just how much she tell Subito, it was ingrained into her to reveal as little as possible. In fact she had probably revealed more than she should have anyhow, but if she was going to get his help then it was best to tell him everything. Well not everything but enough to be a helpful partner.

“But in this case, I just don’t know everything about this deal feels wrong.â€

Oh, it means 'flower'! Awesome! Would have sucked if that meant something bad "I don't really go for the 'always expect crazy stuff' thing a lot of the other students do, but I get why you would, sounds like a pretty dangerous life you live" he commented, sounding almost admiring/

Everything felt wrong? Subito looked very confused at that. "How do you mean? Were they not actin' like they usually do? Were they supposed to already be here?" he had little to no experience with meeting informants, but he had the idea that stuff like that was pretty important. On the other hand, she might have spent so much time dealing with magical business that she could sense it to a degree, like that one guy in that one series the sturdy youth had read a few years ago.

Glancing over his shoulder at the dance floor in a casual fashion he asked "Can ya tell me what you think's gonna go down, Blodeu?"

Blodeuwedd looked a little sheepish “Well to be honest this is my first operation; they wouldn’t normally let someone so young out on a solo operation so young. But needs must.â€

She recomposed herself returning to her more professional demeanor.

“But I do know this we’ve always worked through a strict chain of command, he would contact the… family, the family would set up the deal and then tell me where to meet. That’s how we’ve been able to exist so long without the world at large knowing of our existence. My contact contacted me directly, I’m not going to ignore a call for help, that’s an unexpected turn of events. To do that he must be in some kind of trouble.â€

Wait...okay then.

"Whoa, so this thing is pretty out of the norm, even for you?" Subito asked in startlement, turning sharply back to Blodeuwedd with widened eyes "Huh." Biting his lip he went on uncertainly "If he's really in trouble, would he have asked for help from some of the other heroes in the city too? I mean, I'm not very knowledgeable on all of them, but I'd bet there are a lot of people who would be glad to help out with something like this, and be pretty sublte about it too. Or is this somethin' best kept on the really down-low?"

By now the entire situation was looking more and more like something he had no business being in, and he almost regretted geting involved. That was fiarly easily kept at bay by him simply reminding himself Neither of us are alone in this. Together, we have a much better handle on this though he still shifted to a posture that would let him easily get out of the chair in case a fight broke out. No need to tempt misfortune in times like this. He also had noticed that he hadn't been told just what it was that was that could have gone wrong Must be something really out of the ordinary for these people

From her carefully chosen vantage point it was easy to see the arrival of her contact for the night crossing the dancefloor. Nash was an attractive, if not currently slightly dishevelled, man of an indeterminable age. Despite the heat of the club he wore a trench coat buttoned all the way up.

“He’s part of the family whatever he’s done we’ll look after him. He knows that and he knows I’ll honour that.†She gave a reassuring smile “But don’t worry I wouldn’t ask you to do anything illegal, and if he’s done wrong he’ll face justice of one sort or the other.â€

Seeing that Nash had now reached the bar at the VIP area she stood up.

“Well here goes nothing, wish me luck.â€

Nodding with a crinkling of his forehead, Subito followed Blodeuwedd's eyes to the becoated man, staring for several seconds at the guy in bemusement at his rather obvious 'incognito' attire. "A family friend, huh? Those are good to have, no matter who you are" he commented with a grin.

“But don’t worry I wouldn’t ask you to do anything illegal, and if he’s done wrong he’ll face justice of one sort or the other.â€

"Thanks Blodeu, that means a lot more than I think y'know. To be honest I've been a little worried lately that your family wasn't entirely on the up-and-up, despite their admiral goals and aims" he said with unconscious redundancy. As she headed off to speak with the informant, Subito called over softly "Buena suerta, Blodeu", giving her the thumbs-up as she left the table, relaxing in the chair and listening with great care to the sounds pulsating through the throbbing club.

Something suddenly dawned on his conscious mind, an odd, insistent tone. It had only been heard for a short time, but already the young paragon was sure he hadn't detected it until just now. Shaking his head to try and clear it, he wished he had trained a little, tried to bring his hearing better under his control. As it was it hummed infuriatingly just out of range of what he could identify, and he realized with a jolt of irritation that he would have to try and listen around it and everything else to hear what the two said. Though...it's not like it's really any of my business he admitted to himself.

Blodeuwedd took a seat next to Nash, giving him a little nod as she did. They then exchanged code phrases in an ancient form of Celtic know to very few people on the planet. She would have preferred to have had the whole conversation in Welsh but it seemed Nash didn’t speak the language.

“So what’s the big deal that we had to meet here?†she lowered her voice despite the noise from the club

“I have contact that occasionally sends my way interesting artifacts and antiques. Well he turns up about a week ago all freaked out. Seems he picked up this statue and since then he swore blind that he felt that someone was following him. And it would make this screaming sound when that person was near.†He took a large gulp of the whiskey he’d ordered and gestured for another. “I thought nothing of it; he can be a bit of flake sometimes. But then not long after his shop gets turned over and he disappears. Then the damn thing starts shrieking like he said, and I’m sure I was followed here, though I swear I couldn’t see anyone.â€

Pretending to sip the still-cold beer and looking as relaxed as he could while unrestrained sounds surged into his ears, Subito payed close attention to the conversation between the two agents. He blinked is surprise at the news that this was apparently some kind of problem with an artifact, all he had ever heard of were(Usually reminded the Blue Dame) well-behaved, mostly non-sentient, and rarely did they ever cause much trouble that was released to the public. I guess it makes sense some of those things would be harder to deal with he ruminated, wrinkling his nose slightly at the smell of the amber liquid that slipped perilously close to his lips. It...screams? That's weird, wonder what it wa- his eyes suddenly widened and he accidentally swallowed a mouthful of the drink, putting the large glass firmly on the table with a vicious look from his dark eyes. Muttering under his breath "But wait, if it screams, and he thinks he's being followed, could that sound be the..whatever?" he bent his head slightly, trying to get a grip on what he was really hearing at the edge of vision, growling "Stupid music, this'd be so much easier without you" turning a brief glare at the speakers pumping the thudding music into the room before looking worriedly at the man and Blodeuwedd.

He realized suddenly that he had to warn them. The guy had the idea that the thing was after him, but there was no way he would be able to hear it coming even as well as Subito could. I can't just not say anything, this might be dangerous. I've gotta tell them! he decided, getting out of his seat and all but marching towards his destination.

Nash drew the artifact from inside his coat; it was a rather crudely sculpted statue of a winged figure in a golden color. It look a little like someone who had seen art-deco, but not understood it, and tried and copy the style. Blodeuwedd slipped out her goggles and took a look at the artifact, she quickly realized something very important.

“It’s not an artifact, it’s not magical!â€

He hated this grim human place full of there grim buildings, he wanted to return to the vast blue skies of his home. But first he would stop those that made those blasted statues and tempted away their youth.

He touched down in front of the building where he could hear the blasted thing screeching away and folded his wings behind him. The sound was almost masked but the blasted noise that human’s called music, but his keen sense could still hear its presence.

There was a man at the door who seemed to want to stop him entering the building but with no time for niceties he threw the man in front of him into the thronging crowds.

Subito heard the man being hurled through the air long before he saw them, though the delay was short even by Blodeuwedd's standards as he whipped around to see who was hollering and making that whistling noise as they sailed through the air. He turned just in time to see the bouncer land on a few very surprised dancers before he brought them all crashing down to the floor from his weight. Y'know, I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't something to what the other guys at school keep saying, that this stuff just about ALWAYS happens when we go out he thought to himself as he dashed into the bathroom, slammed the stall door behind himself and concentrated.

Ye Lady, I request your power

Granted. Go forth, my Herald!]

With an explosion of golden light, Subito Sondo was clad in the garb of the Herald of Puerto Rico's Blue Dame of Victory. Shouldering the Banner emblazoned with its patriotic sign, he strode out of the bathroom, floated next to where the bouncer had crash-landed before pointing at the door and thundering "I am El Heraldo de la Dama Azure! A guardian of this city and her people! You, whoever has dared to attack this place, step forth and explain yourself before I crush the answer out of you!" he glared as hard as he could, hoping that whoever walked through that door was at least somewhat within his and Blodeuwedd's class. He turned to Cerys and discreetly gave her the thumbs-up.

Pushing away through the crowd the assailant came fully into view. He was a foot taller than most people here and looked to the entire world like a middle-aged man with a massive beard , that had begun to put on a weight. However he also had a massive pair of feathery wings and was dressed in some kind of medieval armor and carrying a massive hammer. Freedom city being what it was the crowd didn’t panic but instead formed a massive circle around the pair, whilst the music carrying on now playing a remix of an old 80’s classic.

His voice boomed, cutting even through the noise of the nightclub.

“YOU TINY HUMAN THINK YOU CAN STOP ME? IF YOU INSIST ON STANDING IN MY WAY THEN I WILL HAVE TO SHOW YOU THE ERROR OF YOUR WAY.â€