Contracts & Chopsticks [IC]

Azuth65

Mona shrugged and replied, "Sorry to tease you along like that, but I really don't have a clue. If someone knows anything for certain, he or she hasn't said anything definitive. Viktor usually keeps his ears open to 'big picture' pronouncements, even if he calls them 'magical hogwash'. Which sounds to me like either they don't know or like you said, it just happened." Her dwindling plate disappeared in two Mona-sized bites.

"In any case, makes me glad I moved back home," she added before a sip of tea. "Mentioning Hades and Omega makes me wonder how many smaller events have gone unnoticed or forgotten."

Mona nodded to Vicky, her face grave, "Yes. We must count our blessings," before laughing lightly, "General good fortune at least. Never been to Hoboken."

Her face lit up at Vicky's question, and she replied, "Catching those C2 guys is like bottling wind. I have no idea why they're not returning my calls. I swear it is a ruse. But...NYCC did..." A big smile crept up her face. "Care to take a guess?"

"I've found most of the little stuff usually gets noticed at some point," said Joe. "A few months back, there was this guy wandering about the Pine Barrens, possessed by a bodiless alien. Turned out he was tied back to this thing that happened in the mountains of Russia back in the Fifties, and the Soviets' attempt to weaponize it. Turned out the whole reason they were waking up was because the thing that cast 'em off was coming back. So, one guy spewing radiation in the ass end of New Jersey led to driving off an invasion." He took a swig of his beer, as if the attempt to downplay the scale was something that needed booze. "Just saying, these days it seems everything gets figured out eventually."

His anecdote done, he paused, waiting to hear Mona's big news from New York.

Vicky sipped her soda as she listened to Joe's story, thinking it would make for an interesting recurring character (after a few alterations for a dungeon punk fantasy comic) for an upcoming plot she had half-written. "The downside of a worldwide, nigh-instant communications network. Cable news networks, cameraphones, YouTube, freaking Twitter... Secrecy is pretty much dead in the twenty-first century," the artist added. "Then again, I saw one documentary that suggested Twitter and Facebook would be some of the more useful tools in fighting a plague."

Turning in her seat to look her boss in the eyes, she returned the fierce grin, "That's great Mona! So then, did they just want you on the panel? Or did they want Lou and I there too?"

"Fighting a plague? How so? Rapid response and epidemiological data collection?" asked Mona after Joe finished his story.

As for Joe's story itself, she grinned, "I see your point. Wow, that sounds like a wild one even for these parts. If it wasn't coming from you, I wouldn't believe it. That would make an amazing novel or graphic novel. How big of an invasion are we talking here?"

"You both make good points actually. I'm really surprised anyone can maintain a secret identity these days. Either of you seen that new daytime show, Cape Watch? The one where artists try to render what a hero looks like out of costume? I won't name names, but some of the cases are hitting a little close to home, if you know what I mean." She sipped her tea and glanced back-and-forth at the two.

Mona met Vicky's grin and held up three fingers, "All three, killer. And maybe a couple of other topic panels as well. They want a conference call next week. Probably Tuesday afternoon. You free?" She drummed her fingers lightly on the table, she lowered her voice, "They are absolutely stoked. I know you wanted to stay...well...incognito, but one of the reasons is having a hero/artist on the panel."

"Well, the thing itself was about the size of a small hurricane," Joe said. "Only had a handful of soldiers on Earth, though. But those guys were still dead Spetsnaz being ridden by radioactive alien lights." He contemplated that last sentence while sipping at his beer. "No, that's never gonna sound normal."

The Cape Watch thing was certainly news. "Huh," he said. "Man, it still feels weird to be on the other side of that one, you know? You grow up reading about the legends, and suddenly you're out there on the street next to them. I've run into Wail, fought with some of the bigger heroes in Russia --" He suddenly realized what it sounded like. "Uh... not like I'm trying to go for cred or anything..."

He raised his glass with appreciation at Mona's news. "Good luck in the Big Apple," he said. "Don't really know much about the business, but that's gotta be big."

Answering Mona's question a bit of embarrassed color came to Vicky's cheeks, "Well, admittedly the comment came from a special the History Channel had on zombies but after watching another documentary on the smallpox outbreak in Montreal in eighteen-eighty-five, I think rapid warning of and sharing of case files may well save hundred to thousands of lives."

The young artist quirked an eyebrow at his comments about fighting some of the heroes in Russia, "My mother's told me stories about some of the heroes she worked with back in Moscow. She also shared the story of why I've never met her brother, my uncle Nikolai. She defected about twenty-five years ago but she went back for a visit after the formation of the Russian Federation, it didn't go well. She and uncle Nikolai came to blows which, when you're talking about a meta-human and a guy with power armor, takes on a whole new meaning..."

The Cape Watch description sent a shiver down her spine. "As if I didn't have enough trouble keeping my identity a secret," she groaned. "I really need to get my hands on some sort of hologram projector or something. Doubly so if we're doing a panel at a major convention like New York."

Her own mentioning of New York brought her back on topic, "Tuesday afternoon? Sure, I can be in the office by three-fifteen. Earlier if I can talk to my teacher and just duck right out of study hall. Half the time I only end up using it for work anyway," she answered. "As for remaining incognito, I can probably get a bottle of hair dye similar to my pre-breakout color and claim eye-strain for wearing sunglasses during the convention."

Answering Joe she smiled brilliantly, "Oh it is, one of the big ones on the East Coast. It doesn't get as much coverage as San Diego or Emerald City but it doesn't have every form of media debuting things either. Still, huge first step for the company."

"And we come full circle concerning normal," nodded Mona before standing up. "Think I'm game for another plate."

Returning shortly, she slid into her seat and the conversation, "I don't doubt it. Cape Watch makes me nervous too, and...well...I don't have a secret identity. They're pretty good too, but I'm not going to tell them that." She chuckled, an honest little laugh given the uncomfortable subject. "As far as being on the other side, it does feel weird. And awesome!"

"Don't worry, you have plenty of cred with us," she replied, patting him on the arm gently.

Then she fell silent as Vicky gave her another glimpse into her past. Some of it wasn't news to Mona, but she listened attentively and picked at her food a pick. Truth be known, hearing about the lives of other heroes and their families fascinated her. An eyebrow went up at that particular family squabble.

"Those custom, over-sized contact lenses are worth researching too. If they can turn a singer's irises white and retinas black, I bet they'd have something for you."

"Thank you," Mona replied to Joe, smiling wider. Vicky's smile was infectious like that. "This actually works out well. I wanted a smaller venue initially. That way we can think big but still control our own PR. Like you said, less risk of a full-blown media storm. Not to mention fewer creepers." She winked to her.

"May be a bit late for lenses, in my case," Joe said. "My helmet shows off a bit, but not enough that you'd be able to pick me out of a lineup. But if I go out into the field and suddenly I've got blue eyes, then it's kinda drawing attention, isn't it? Think I should stick with what I've got. I mean, either that or do a complete redesign, and I don't think I'm ready for that yet. I like to wear the colors I've got."

As more shop talk filled the air, he started to think more about the whole prospect of the book. "Y'know... maybe I should go up to one of these conventions. See what it's like. Been a while since I picked up one of these books, and... well, I'm kinda curious how they go about adapting all this stuff."

Vicky contemplated the idea of the contacts, "Definitely something worth looking into. After a while of wearing sunglasses indoors you start to look like kind of odd. It's one of the things I like about school, white hair and black sclera with red irises are some of the least unusual thing you'll see in a given class."

"Well, you do have a distinctive look Joe, don't let anyone try and change it on you," she said, remembering the helmet more than anything else of his costume.

Returning the wink to Mona before asking with a laugh, "Think they'd get mad if we got in costume and took a picture on top of the Statue of Liberty's crown?"

"I know a shop over in the West End, one of the better selections in town. Might be worth the time to grab a few of these trade paperbacks," she said jotting down a list of titles on the back of business card.

"Definitely," chuckled Mona, "Just visiting campus opened my eyes. I've never seen so many metahumans concentrated in one place. Do you know the girl with green, feathery wings?"

Turning to Joe, Mona asked, "Do you happen to have a picture of your costume? I haven't had the pleasure and would love to see it please."

"I'd hope not! Maybe we'd better do it during normal touring hours though. We don't want to be shot at overzealous security." She finished her tea with a small gulp. "You'd think they'd be used to that though. If Centurion's statue has that many flying/teleporting/gliding visitors, you'd think the Statue of Liberty would have a few too."

"Oh...I remember that shop. She's right. Fabulous selection and pretty good prices too." Tapping her chin in thought, she listed off a couple of recommendations as well.

"I'd love if you could attend ours, incognito or otherwise. I may be able to swing another guest badge and bring you behind-the-scenes. Really get a sense of how the magic happens," she added to Joe after flagging down the waitress for a tea refill.

"Speaking traveling arrangements, Vicky, how do you want to do this? Our travel budget is...negative right now. I'll cover the rooms, but maybe we can fly up there?" Glancing to Joe, she added, "Fulcrum Airlines is fast and free, but the turbulence is a bit rough."

• 2 weeks later...

"Like I said, I'll see what I can do," said Joe. "I could probably hopscotch from here to Manhattan. Might take a little while, but I can definitely clear the distance. Though if it'd get me there faster, I could definitely book a flight on that airline. Don't think turbulence is gonna be a big issue with me."

"Don't exactly have a photo of the costume on me," he said, "but I'm pretty sure it's online." After borrowing a smart phone from one of his dinner mates, he was able to call up a website that showed him in costume - red MA-1 flight jacket, white T-shirt with the cannon firing insignia, black jeans and combat boots, and a steel Spartan-style helmet. "Gotta love Wikipedia. I know it's not the fanciest thing in the world, but I figure I gotta wear something that represents where I come from, y'know?"

Vicky tried to recall the name of the girl Mona had described, frowning in concentration, "Nicole? We've met, compared notes during study hall a few times. We've saved each other from misremembered dates a couple times on history papers."

The younger artist shrugged a little, "True enough. Up on the Centurion's statue there's a handful of those what-a-chairs stashed under a hatch. Like it was installed just for heroes gathering on his head."

"Fulcrum Airlines does sound like a solid way to get to various conventions. What's the carry-on limit? And is there an inflight movie?" she asked with a smile touching her eyes. "Seriously though, it beats the bus or Joe and I leap-frogging all the way there. Especially given the calories each of my jumps burns. You've seen the lunches I bring into the office and those small mountains of food are for light days..."

Taking her phone back, she nodded, "It is a good costume."

"Up to you, Joe," she nodded, "Just give me a call if you need a ride. I don't mind at all."

Mona's eyes sparkled as she examined Joe's costume. "Oh yes, have to represent your background. That's gorgeous! I mean it. Simple, utilitarian yet filled with layers of meaning. Really inspired! Now that is an outfit that says 'kick ass and take names'." She nodded in appreciation, a serious look on her face. "How did you develop the helmet? It fits the ensemble well but has a unique flare all its own."

Once her initial fervor died down, she asked Vicky, "So no idea why, not just wings, but green wings?"

"I always figured that hatch was for roof access. I had no idea. Never wanted to be rude enough to poke around inside his head, if you know what I mean."

"Carry-on is only limited by bulk, not weight. If you can pack that much, I'll be impressed. Inflight movie? Hmm...depending on how robust you are, I can show you the most beautiful stars, or if a little more time, visit the International Space Station." Meeting Vicky's gaze, she raised an eyebrow and added, "I hope someday to have a private jet you know."

"Yeah, it works for me," said Joe as he tucked the phone away. "Tears and rips some times, especially when dealing with the bigger threats or fires or things like that. Trying to work on a morphic equivalent, but... I dunno. Doesn't seem to come together right." He shook his head. "Call me picky. But yeah. Figured I needed to make myself a symbol. As for the helmet, made it myself. We had some cast-off stuff at work - steel that wasn't the right mixture, or which had enough impurities it wasn't fit for the market. Took me a long weekend and a blowtorch, but I was able to get it done. Being able to shape molten metal with your bare hands really helps there."

Joe was slightly awestruck by Mona's offer for an "inflight movie." He'd been in space once- and it had been a hell of an experience - but there was much one could see from those heights. "I'm pretty good at holding my breath, if that helps..."

Vicky winced at Joe's explanation of how he made his helmet. "Ouch. I might heal fast but I still feel the damage. Must be nice shrugging off that kind of damage."

Returning Mona's gaze she replied in voice vaguely implying her words came from a song, "Can you show me the world? Shining, shimmering, splendid?" before laughing and saying, "Sorry, sorry. Aladdin was one of my favorite Disney movies as a kid. Seriously though, space is a bit out of my range. I can't even hold my breath for more than a minute or two in the school's pool."

"Yeah, I was just up there when one of the maintenance guys came up, mentioned I was the fifth person he'd seen up there that week and showed me where some of the others have stashed their makeshift meeting gear. Last time I was up there I left a six pack of soda and a thank you note in the compartment."

Shrugging the teleporter replied to Mona's inquiry about the winged teen, "Nope. She wasn't bitten by a radioactive parrot or anything. When we shared breakout stories, she said she went to bed one night with an itching back and woke up enveloped in her own wings. And don't let the beauty of the wings fool you, I've seen her crack concrete with a well timed snap of one of them."

"I bet it does," quipped Mona to Joe's metalworking ability. "An impressive piece of work there. May not be your interest, but have you ever tried sculpting? I work with all sorts of materials, if you're interested. Speaking of which, how much cast-off do you think is available? I'm in the market and it doesn't have to be anywhere near market grade."

"Oh yeah, I also know a discreet designer and seamstress that could help you out with costume repairs. Works with heroes with or without morphic-molecule suits," she said before digging around for a business card. Finding only one of their own, she penciled Carrie's name on the back and offered it to Joe. "She's really good, fast, and reasonably rated."

As to the space jump, she actually looked a little disappointed at their reactions, but didn't show it too much. "Oh, well. Little more to it then holding your breath. Worth a try anyway. Still my offer of transportation stands."

"Although a radioactive parrot would be an interesting, if odd, power source. But those are my kind of wings. I wonder if individual feathers could used as darts..."

"It's not exactly a picnic," Joe said. 'I still feel it. There's still that part of my body telling me, 'That's hot, idiot.' Difference is, when I take my hands away, I don't have the blisters to match." He shrugged his shoulders. "Ever since I came into this, I've kinda learned to recalibrate the whole pain thing. If something hurts me these days, it really hurts. I've learned to pay attention to that stuff more than the little things."

He kicked Mona's words around in his head. "You know," he said, "I never really did think about art. Not exactly a life model kinda guy. But... I could probably do some of that abstract stuff. I know a place near my apartment that's like a graveyard for industrial equipment. I could try and put it to some use..." He smiled. "And I'll definitely take you up on the tailor offer."

Vicky let out a contemplative noise, "We didn't have much combat practice together so I'm not sure if she can use her feathers like that." Adding with a grin, "But that would be pretty awesome."

She felt a tad chagrined at Joe's comment of still feeling the heat, "Oh. Yeah, that would make sense. I've been... less successful in the ignoring of smaller pains. Every punch, shard of glass, everything; they all still suck but the actual wounds at least fade quickly."

When the subject of the industrial equipment graveyard she interjected, "I doubt either of you need it but, if you want a hand moving some stuff around, you know where to find me."

• 3 months later...

Fulcrum smiled and produced a business card for Carrie Wendle. She offered it to Joe and nodded, "She really is great."

Turning to Vicky, she looked to say something before her commlink beeped. Placing the earpiece, she spoke quietly, "Jill? What? My Mom? Oh...oh. Okay, I'll be there in a few minutes."

Pulling out the commlink, she turned to her companions, "Sorry to cut things short, but family calls."

She rifled through her file, layering a few papers on top before sliding the thick bundle to Joe. "Have a look and give me a call at your convenience. My card is on the inside cover. I've included art samples, writing samples, and some contractual stuff. I'm all for giving people a fair deal, but you may still want someone to look over it before getting together to negotiate. I'd really like to have you on board, Joe."

She waved over the waitress and took the check, "As an added bonus, being an anthology gives us more room for articles and editorials. Interested in doing an opinion piece sometime?"

The bill for all three handled neatly, despite any protests, Fulcrum stood and smiled widely at two. "Anything else? If not I'll see you two later. Great to meet you, Joe."