Lord Steam and the Clockwork Assassins (OOC)

Taking 10 on a Knowledge (Technology) Roll for a result of 25, see what that shows!

Then I guess its a Search of the Area, taking 20 as we are not in a rush (2 minutes to Search a 5 by five area, so I guess we are looking at around 10 minutes to cover the immediate vicinity of the robot).

Rather than separating the results, I'll just explain what Lord Steam figures out;

1) This robot is indeed built with technology from his world. It's a steam-punk robot, with a few modern additions that let it work on this world.

2) Some of the key parts are made with extremely high tech ceramics and plastics, neither of which are found on Earth Victoriana. These specific compounds were created for the space program (the ceramics), and as-yet-released innovations in body armor (the plastics)

Taking 20 and Gathering Info on victims (Result 30).

If any Knowledge skill s relevant as reaction, with eidectic memory he takes 10 and gets 16 (knowledge Technology would score 25!).

Also see if the murder scene, where the body was found, has any clues. Taking 20 on search for a result of 30.

Both victims were regulars at a diner near the crime scene, about five miles away.

The first victim was Peter Hanson, he worked a few blocks away from the second victim's work place

Both victims were single men, ages 35-40 and independently wealthy from investments.

In addition, a discarded nightstick is found near the window the assassin fell out of, presumably thrown by the victim

The body reveals no other details other than the means by which he was killed. He was fairly healthy and active.

He's been dead less than two days.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to assume that Lord Steam can spot some minor details. After all, there's no danger, and he's actively looking. To get this moving, I'll assume he's taking 10 on the necessary checks. Unless you'd rather do otherwise, at which point I can edit.

In addition, to make this more convenient, I'll say that Lord Steam arrives around lunch time.

• 5 weeks later...

As I am feeling Lazy with Invisible Castle, rolling 5 d20s for base Search effects, applying them alphabetically.

1d20=16, 1d20=4, 1d20=19, 1d20=17, 1d20=6

So thats:

Archibald the Lawyer: 19

Boris the Groundsman: 8 (duh)

Blakely the Butler: 23

Kamil the chauffeur: 18

Molly the housekeeper: 12

Not bad, Blakely should at least find something!

Steam Himself: 1d20+10=29 very good.

Cant think of any other particular rolls to make at the moment (Steams weakness is Gather Info, he is too pompous!)

Everybody finds something, though not all of great value;

Archibald finds some suspicious looking documents in the office area, probably shipment manifestos

Boris and Molly stumble across a whole big pile of random scrap in one of the boxes

Blakely finds some suspicious looking pieces of tech

Lord Steam himself finds that the office is in great disarray, as if the last occupant was in a very great hurry to get out. Amidst the clutter, he finds a few small pieces of paper, namely passports with several different names and faces on them.

The manifestos seem to all be legitimate, though smuggling is possibly involved.

The tech includes more of the plastics and ceramics. In addition, there are other parts that look like parts of the machine assassin that killed the other men.

One of the manifestos features the name 'Walker Black', either an alias or a real name.

Ok, so if you are in agreement,

Lord Steam will use investigate skill on the tech he recovered, see if he can analayse any clues from it (fingerprints, where it was built, etc)

Investigate Roll using masterwork Investigative Tools, I may as well take 20 on this if time is not pressing...if not I will take 10. Result of 34 or 24 respectively.

Then, Gather Information, to see if he can track down Walter Black as per rules. I guess FC is a Metropolis, so its 4 Checks needed, DC 20. Walter can add Stealth or Streetwise skill to avoid being tracked down.

Firstly, his Lawyer, Archie, will use an Aid action:

1d20+6=19 fail.

Then Steam

1d20+10=15

You may allow a +6 bonus due to spreading wealth (he has wealth 3) but I guess that depends upon which kind of people Steam would usefully be asking around for.

So 1 hour wasted - and perhaps drawing attention to himself.

Next Hour:

Archie: 1d20+6=10 Fail

Steam: 1d20+10=12 Fail, so I guess another hour wasted and people definately noting he is looking for info.

Next Hour:

1d20+6=8 for Archie...sigh

1d20+10=29 at last! which exceeds by 9, counting as 2 checks.

Hour 4:

1d20+6=24 Yes! Archie with teamwork 3 skill gives a +5 bonus to steamy.

So, for final roll Steamy will take 10, with Archies bonus giving a +15 total bonus taking him to 25, and again counting as 2 checks.

Did my best there, let me know if i need to adjust for wealth bonuses or Blacks Streetwise / Stealth skill if he is avoiding...

Several prints are lifted from the tech, but nothing conclusive as they do not match any known persons. The ceramic and plastic parts were manufactured by a large corporation, seemingly not intended for the devices at all, merely adapted for them. What Steam does figure out, though, is that there are definitely parts made in Earth Victoriana. Specifically by a well-to-do manufacturing company, though again, they may not have been built with this use in mind. Most of the work in the machine is after-market adaptations, mainly a pair of poison injectors built into the hands, as well as several other parts designed to ensure they produce no metallic sound when moving. The face possesses certain components that are designed for more human-like faces, to be interchanged as needed.

All of this leads Steam to the conclusion that these devices were intended as assassination robots, bought from a manufacturer, adjusted with Earth Prime parts, and then with added after-market additions to make them suitable to the job.

Walker Black is likely an alias, created and established by a well-dressed British man who's real name is a mystery. He appeared in Freedom City a few months ago, with a lot of money and resources. He kept everything quiet, and it wasn't until Lord Steam bribed someone that he got a lead, which in turn lead to a better person to ask.

Walker lives in a deluxe apartment in one of the richest neighborhoods in town. How he rents the place without legitimate income is a mystery, as are where he came from and what his goals are. What is known is that he is very meticulous about his clothing and places of operation, liking things very neat and tidy.

Invention Time!

Lord Steam fancies some snooping around in the middle of the night up a skyscaper.

What does he need?

Some spring powered suction gloves and boots!

Supermovement 1 (Wall Crawling 1) (2PP)

Design DC is 12, and will take 2 hours. He will have time to have a -5 penalty, then take 10 and get a total result of 20, easily designing the suction devices in 1 hour.

Construction takes 8 hours base. The DC is 12 and I am presuming its Craft (Mechanical). Going to half the construction time by taking a -5 on check.

Kamil Singh will try to Aide him, 1d20+5=12 failing due to the -5 penalty.

So Steam will crack on: 1d20+15=29 easily making it.

So, 5 hours time to have some workable suction gloves and boots!

Also, can I check the following is ok?

For 1 HP, he will gain "Equipment 1" feat, giving him a "Breaking and entering" kit!

1 EP: Night Vision Goggles

1 EP: Masterwork Disable Device

1 EP: Camouflage Overalls (+5 Situational Stealth) - Black

1 EP: Binoculars

1 EP: Parabolic Microphone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

inside are some documents, specifically detailing Mr. Black's exact personal expenditures in the illegal matters. There are also blueprints for the designs, extensively detailing not only the information regarding the automatons, but also where the parts came from, which corporations contributed what, and, perhaps most of all, which Earth Victoriana corporations contributed to the designs.

Information about why exactly he's doing all of this, however, is not present.