Earth Victoriana: Beyond Bedlam (IC)

Standing at attention she listened to him, it seemed getting the information wouldn't be too hard. But at the same time, it made it less reliable, people loved to gossip, second hand knowledge was never as reliable as something directly from the source. Either way, it would give her some of the picture just asking around, even if it was bound to be skewed it was a start.

"Here for working, just got to keep a paycheck coming so my grandparents stay nice and comfy, bless their hearts. Took me in when my dad died and my mom ran away with a Frenchman. Now that they cannot work, got to repay the favor."

She handed the man her papers,

"Came over from the colonies to look after them, so forgive me if I am a bit slow on the currents and such. I have not been around here long, but I can handle patients just as well."

Reaching down she picked up the tea cup and smiled,

"Let me get you a refill, how much sugar you like in your tea?"

GM

Doctor Meddows' face brightened up considerably at the mention of tea.

"One spoonfull normally, but blast, I was up all last night trying to sedate Mr. Crimble. What a tricky chap he is. Epileptic, and quite psychotic when having one of his turns. He is booked in for insulin induced coma therapy this afternoon. Hope that sorts the poor soul out. Kept raving about Dr, Janus, quite paranoid...quite, quite paranoid..."

he looked uneasy for a moment, but brightened up.

"Still, a few days in a coma should sort the chap out. Re-equilibriate the old grey matter eh?" he smiled, tapping the side of his head.

Carrie was halfway to the teapot when she dropped the cup. It hit the floor and cracked and she had to grab her hand and hide her head at the shock. A coma, they were putting patients in comas? What in the world were they thinking? She was stiff as she turned her head back,

"Umm, Doctor, are you sure that is, wise?"

She bent down knees first (which was rather difficult in the dress), and picked up the teacup as she spoke, grabbing the little chip that fell off when it hit the floor,

"I mean, he's not a machine. You just can't turn him off for a little while and expect him to get better, I mean, he might not come back."

GM

"I mean, he's not a machine. You just can't turn him off for a little while and expect him to get better, I mean, he might not come back."

"Oh certainly" said Dr. Meddows stiffening at Carrie's question.

"Its part of the science of Psychiatry! I wouldn't expect you to understand, of course...its all to do with the resetting of the electrical circuitry of the brain you see. Hypoglycaemic depression of neurotransmission in the temporal lobes...." he said, somewhat annoyed at a nurse questioning medical procedure.

"I'm sure once you gain a bit more experience you will come to see the wisdom of medical practice. All a bit shocking at first, I know..." he said, giving some slack and softening slightly. "Just have to keep up a jolly good spirit, you see. Can't have the patient's seeing you get all wibbly-wobbly!"