Starlight's were meant to fly (IC)

Starlight hustled Synth into a side room where they could talk without worrying about members of the crew passing by and seeing them. "They are mercenaries," the alien explained. "They have been hired by... well, do you recall when we met Miss Hawthorne? She was being attacked by those pink blobby things? And I left you behind while I followed one back to its base? Well, it was being controlled by an octopus-like alien that called itself Nes. It seems that Nes' broodmates are accusing me of murder under the laws of the Lor Empire. And these mercenaries have some to collect me."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Synth looked alarmed.

"A Nes?" she asked, genuinely surprised.

"What have we got mixed up in here?" she asked. "Murder? if I recall we were trying to stop being murdered ourselves. And those...things, just disintegrated when we hit them..."

She struggled to get her head around the awful mess they were in, then shook her head. The world of Earth was confusing enough to her, this was on a while new level.

"So what do we do? I'm not letting you take the blame for this. Whatever their laws say..."

"I did not kill anyone," Starlight said, adding to herself, Not this time. "Whatever else you could say about the Lor, they do love to stick to their procedures and their procedures, if slow, do tend to reveal the truth in the end." The only problem was that sometimes the end was several months after any innocents were dead. Sometimes a more direct hand was needed, and that was where Starlight had usually entered the picture. "I am not sure what Nes' plan is here, but I cannot think it intends to execute me through the courts." She paused and added, "Which does not mean we are not in danger, of course."

"That's some relief then. I confess I know little enough about Earth. The...Lor..." she pronounced the word carefully "...and the worlds beyond earth, I know next to nothing about. I am completely out of my depth. Well, more out of my depth than normal" she chuckled slightly.

"In any case, I will try to remain incognito. I don't trust anyone, well except you. Not the Lor, not the Nes, not Nikki. But I really don't know how long I can remain undercover. It's just a matter of time, really..."

It turned out to be quite some time; it seemed that the less than a dozen warriors had little to do with the, apparently solo engineer. And the pair had plenty of time to explore the rather cramped crew areas of the ship.

Apart from the strange views of the hyperspace and the rather limited database of the ship there was very little to do on the starship. The Mercenaries bustled about in an efficient manner, and whilst they were all polite (and a few properly star struck), had little time to assist the pair.

So it was almost a relief when there heard the communication from the bridge.

“Starlight would you care to join me on the bridge?â€

Starlight and Synth had explored the starship together as well as they were able to, but eventually the alien had suggested that the pair split up to avoid further suspicion. Now the shapeshifter was checking out the emergency exits, formulating back up plans in her head. If they put the ship into a flat spin, most of the exits would be useless because they would be covered by the sublight drive's tail. But if the ship was going end-over-end...

Her planning was interrupted by the announcement over the comms. It took her a moment to orient herself, but soon enough she was striding onto the bridge.

The bridge was darkly lit and dominated by a large holographic table displaying what was apparently displaying the destination system.

“Ah there you are. We’re close enough to receive telemetry from the Tine system, and we picked up this.â€

She tapped an area of the display and it bought up an image of a starship, a massive slither of a craft that looked massive even at this scale.

“The Glorious Dawn pride of the Lor fleet. You don’t bring out a battleship like that for a simple local disagreement. That suggests another stellar power is involved here.†She gave a wide grin “Wouldn’t it be a shame if we came out of hyperspace too close to that ship?â€

Starlight swept her gaze over the ship's controls. She really didn't know much about flying starships; her powers provided for her when she needed to travel from star system to star system. The captain's remark tore her attention away from the consoles, however, and she quickly stepped up to the view screen. There was only one stellar power that Starlight was worried about. "Captain," she said, "you need to scan for Grue ships."

Lavender look thought for a few second expressing her thought out loud.

“Well the Grue like to hide their presence until there ready to strike… and we’re at the extreme range of our sensor. But the Grue will want them†she pointed at the holo of the Lor ship “to know they’re there. So we might have a chance.â€

She barked a series of orders and the rest of the crew went to work with a grim determination. After a few tense minutes the display flashed and bought up a grainy image from a smaller Gas Giant orbiting Soo-Tine VII. It was impossible to make out any details of the size or class of the craft but it was defiantly a Grue Saucer.

Starlight stepped back from the view screen as her heart skipped a beat. They were here, right here. Her creators, her siblings -- her worst enemies in the galaxy, were out in the star system where she was presumably supposed to testify against the Nes. This didn't bode well at all, and Starlight had the sudden, rash impulse to teleport away from all of this. But that would only send the mercenaries back to Earth to look for her, and that wouldn't end well for anyone. So she drew herself up and forced a blank look onto her face. "It is as I suspected," she said, hoping her voice didn't betray her apprehension. "The Nes must be some client species or off-shoot of the Grue. They use the same methodology, and I can't explain why else the Grue would be here."

“I’m not sure about that, the Grue play there card pretty close to their chest, but they certainly must have an interest to defend the Tine from the Lor.â€

She studied the display for a few second, seemingly lost in thought. Most races would considering dealing with both the Lor and the Grue a daunting prospect very few who got caught between the two races came out on top.

“Well I won’t say this doesn’t complicate thing, but owe you for all you’ve done for my species, and I’ve always wanted to test my mettle against the likes of this lot.†She gave an evil looking smile showing an array of perfect teeth. “I guess our contract with the Tine is null and void. You may not pay any better, or at all, but it going to be a much more interesting time. But I need to know what you've going to do, meet me in an hour in my cabin and have yourself something of a plan.†She leaned in to whisper “And you might as well bring that ally of yours that’s been skulking around…â€

"I would not recommend this ship attempt to fight the Unity," she said, "at least not at the moment. If the Lor are tolerating the presence of a Grue ship, there must be a reason, and likely they would not overly love someone breaking the peace. For now, proceed as you planned to before, and we shall see what develops." With that Starlight walked off the bridge and began looking for her compatriot. The revelation that Synth's disguise had been seen through was disconcerting, but not entirely surprising. In any case, at least it would make briefing the other shapeshifter a simpler matter.

Synth sidled up to Starlight, flexing her additional two limbs.

I quite like these.... she noted to herself. Four arms was definitely the way to go.

"Pssst!" she whispered in a perfectly pitched and controlled tone, as soft as she could.

"What's the update? I didn't catch all of that. Something about the Groo? the Law? I don't know anything about this. All I can do is watch your back right now...are we in any danger?"

She scanned around the deck, alert to any danger.

"Why did they bring you here? as guest or captive?"

Starlight stood in the corridor, not even trying to hide that she was talking to the four-armed alien. "They are called the Grue. G-R-U-E. They are a species of psychically linked shapeshifters, a sovereign power in space. They are also evil, tyrannical, the antithesis of liberty, and the grand enemies of the Lor Empire. For the Lor to allow them to view these proceedings, or worse to invite them here, would indicate that the situation is not nearly as clear cut as it may appear. The Nes, the creatures who claim I killed one of them, may be a protectorate or vassal state of the Grue. Or, as odd as the idea is, the Lor may have reached out to the Grue for consultation in matters of shapeshifting.

"I am here as a prisoner, to be brought to trail. However I think, if I applied pressure, the captain would fight to get me free. I feel she has no great sympathy for either the Nes or the Grue." Starlight smiled slightly. "You are not in any danger, at least. Except that they have seen through your disguise, Synth."

GM

"You are not in any danger, at least. Except that they have seen through your disguise, Synth."

Synth shrugged with all four arms.

"Can't say I'm surprised" she said, a hint of laughter in her voice. "I can barely pull of a disguise on earth, let alone an alien starship!"

Her skin changed back to human tones, and with a rippling and bulging that looked rather uncomfortable, Synth's body warped back to its resting human state.

She held her hands up to indicate peace.

"I surrender!" she called out. "I'm only here as an advocate for Starlight. I wish you no harm!" she declared.

"I hope you were right about not being in danger..." she whispered to Starlight.

Compared to austere military décor of the rest of the ship the Commander was homely and all in pink, looking for all the world like that of a teenage girl. Now out of her armour and dressed in a simple jumpsuit and t-shirt with the symbol of her ship she seemed much more relaxed.

“Ah on time I see, and you must be our mysterious sensor glitch. K’Lee wanted to space you for hurting her engines, but I convinced her otherwise.†She gave a broad grin

“My name is Lavender, Commander of this vessel. Welcome aboard my starship…â€

"Hello, Commander Lavender" said Synth, unsure how to greet the captain of the ship. She decided on a straightforward approach. She stood perfectly balanced, her arms folded and alert to any danger.

"I am truly sorry about your engineer...K'Lee..." she continued, as apologetically as possible.

"It was not my intention to cause harm, only to protect your...guest here from forces unknown. It was a desperate gamble on my part, I know, but one I would take again. Starlight is innocent of any crimes, Lavender...any violence she has committed has been strictly necessary to preserve life...including my own, I might add!"

“Please to meet you Synth. And don’t worry Synth; K’Lee has a hard head and big hearts. Though she probably want her clothes back at some point.†She looked at the flower festooned jumpsuit Synth was wearing.

“And Starlight isn’t in any kind of trouble; in fact she’s a hero among our kind because of past actions. I’m surprised she’s never told you the tale of how she freed the Trine people from potential tyranny.â€

She took a seat in one of a number of large rounded chairs and indicated for the two heroes to do the same.

“If you wish I can have refreshment bought into this council of war. Now tell me exactly what do you want us to do about this whole situation with the Tine?â€

Synth took off the jump suit to reveal the silver coloured spandex below.

"Too big for me anyway" she replied, handing it away. Now she was back to her own size, shape, and form, it ballooned on her like a tent.

In response to the commanders question she glanced at Starlight.

"I just want to satisfy myself that Starlight comes to no harm. Intergalactic politics...shouldn't use people as political pawns" she started, taking in a deep breath.

"What are the options?" she asked, straight faced.

"You stay on board," Starlight said firmly. "Captain, Synth. I thank you for your offers of help, but I have been called here, to answer for my crimes." She took a deep breath. "I am the champion of freedom, of liberty. But liberty is just a word if one is not willing to take responsibility for one's actions. I will plead my case before the Lor, the case of the whole of the Earth, but if they decide that my actions were misguided and that I shall be punished, then I would not have either of you come to harm for defending me in this matter. These are my sins, and mine alone. Others should not have to suffer for them."

Synth held her head in her hands, a little shudder of anger hitting her.

"But you have committed no sins!" she said, her voice rising in volume.

"It's not wrong to protect yourself, or your friends. Any death is horrible, but you didn't seek death, or even a fight!"

Synth hated fighting, and abhorred death, but this was just making what had happened even worse.

"In any case, I am with you in this till the end. You fought for me, and I know what happened..." she concluded, sitting back and gripping the chair in defiance.

Starlight smiled at Synth's outburst. "I did not say that I would allow them to kill me," she said. "The Lor control a great deal of space; if they are angry with me or looking for me, I have to know why so that I know what to avoid. If I can never clear my name with them, well, it will be very awkward moving through their space." Her eyes unfocused as she stared off into the distance. "To be frank, I am not sure the Lor can design a prison cell that will hold me, without my consent."

“I’m with the little human, except for the death part I’ve got a backup plan.†She gave a wide grin “But there are many ways the Lor could punish even the like of your Starlight. They have prison planets, with inhibitors of cause, cryogenics or even digital storage. It would get worst if the Grue had a claim in you, there don’t have the same ideas of justice as the Lor.â€

She stood and made her way to the comm panel.

“I’ll order the ship to drop out near the Glorious Dawn. The Lor will want to talk with us either way, we may have had tussle in the past. Then you can see what they want to do about this whole situation.â€

• 2 weeks later...

"That seems most sensible," Starlight agreed. "The Tine no doubt have an exaggerated idea of their grievance with me, and it is just possible that if we were to contact them directly they would try to attack this ship and take me prisoner. Meanwhile, Lor," she continued, "are the ones who seem to be presiding over all of this. It is ultimately their opinion that I -- that we," she amended quickly, glancing at Synth, "will have to sway."

• 4 weeks later...

Grue Embassy, Soo-Tine VII

The Grue Ambassador sat in the darken room sat as though meditating, though he was instead monitoring the Grue ships currently in the system. As he did he again mused on his simple plan to capture the rogue Grue and sort out the problems of the Tine.

It was a simple plan bring the Rogue Grue here using its warped sense of honor, then capture and reintroduce it into the Unity. Then the Rogue Grue would admit it planned the incident on Earth, with a Renegade Tine, to discredit the species. The Lor would leave to continue their infernal meddling elsewhere, the Tine would share there secrets with the Grue and they would be able to pick apart this Rogue Grue and learn the secret of its magical powers.

He smiled it was almost too easy…

Soo-Tine System

With a burst of photons, neutrinos and more exotic particles the Sleipnir returned to normal space. No massive Lor ship was ready to receive its arrival however, but a smaller circular Grue ships powered it up and began to make its way rapidly towards the Sleipnir.