Bishop

[floatr]Cutlass.gif[/floatr]

Player Name: Bishop

Character Name: Cutlass

Power Level: 10 (150/150PP)

Trade-Offs: None

Unspent Power Points: 0

Progress To Bronze Status: 0/30

In Brief: Swashbuckling water-controller with a really "cool" sword.

Alternate Identity: Sean McAlister

Identity: Secret

Birthplace: Freedom City

Affiliations: None

Family: Mother and Siblings

Description:

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Height: 5' 11"

Weight: 180 lbs

Eyes: Brown

Hair: Brown

(Describe what they look like!)

Power Descriptions:

Cutlass can create water and shape water. He uses blasts of water to propel himself in combat and shapes of "solid" water to protect himself and others, and to manipulate the environment.

History:

Sean is part of a long line of sailors and fishermen and he always loved the water. In high school, he was a champion swimmer, but he dropped out of school to help his family when his father died. Sean mostly worked on local fishing vessels and did the odd warehouse and longshoreman job.

A few months ago, a trawling vessel he was working on made an ill-advised run into a storm. The storm was worse than expected, and two crewmen were tossed overboard into the freezing sea. Without hesitation, Sean dove in after them. He dragged one back to the ship, got him on deck, then dove is a second time for the other crewman. Struggling against the crashing waves and freezing water, he managed to get the crewman to a tossed line, then succumbed to the sea and was lost.

Three days later, Sean was found washed up on shore miraculously unharmed. He claimed to have no memory of what happened to him.

He had, in fact, drowned that day. Marial, a powerful undine from the depths of the sea, watched his heroic feat and was impressed by the mortal. She fell in love with him, and saved him by sharing part of her spirit with him, making him as part of the sea as she was. For the next few days, Sean stayed with the undine, who showed him many of the secrets of the Great Deep.

Before he returned to the land, she gave him one of her most valuable possessions which she had safeguarded for hundreds of years: Frostbite, a sword forged in the Cold Deep for a legendary pirate king.

Personality & Motivation:

Sean is easy-going and friendly, but also hard-working. No matter how hard things get, he almost always has a smile. He tends to be brash and bold, happily taking on a Errol-Flynn-Pirate persona in his superhero identity.

He doesn't think twice about throwing himself into dangerous situations to help others. Although he loves the thrill of adventure, he is more driven by a need to protect the weak and innocent.

Powers & Tactics:

Sean is now a child of the sea. He is actually more comfortable under the sea than on land and can act freely and easily in either environment. His primary power is the ability to summon bursts of water and control them completely as long as the water is in contact with him. He uses this water-power mostly for defense, mobility, and "mook-sweeping."

His cutlass, Frostbite, brings the Cold of the Deep. It can freeze what it hits, weakening items by freezing them to the point they become brittle.

Complications:

Secret: Secret Identity. Sean leads a double life to protect his younger siblings and mother.

Blood is Thicker than Water: As much as he loves his powers and loves the seas, Sean feels a greater duty to, and love for, his family. He is the oldest of three siblings. He has a 17 year old brother David, and a 15 year old sister Heather. They live in a rowhouse with their widowed mother, 43 year old Julia McAlister, who works as a maid in a major downtown hotel.

Wealth - Struggling: Sean works the docks and on fishing trawlers to support the family.

The Sea is a Harsh Mistress: Because of his spirit-connection to Marial, she is a constant presence in his life. She is kind and wise, but can also be jealous of other women in Sean's life.

It's Time to Buckle Our Swashes! Cutlass tends to be flamboyant and risk-taking, especially when the lives of innocents are in danger. He tends to jump in without thinking things through, first.

Abilities: 4 + 6 + 6 + 2 + 4 + 6 = 28PP

Strength: 14 (+2)

Dexterity: 16 (+3)

Constitution: 16 (+3)

Intelligence: 12 (+1)

Wisdom: 14 (+2)

Charisma: 16 (+3)

Combat: 12 + 16 = 28PP

Initiative: +11

Attack: +8 Melee, +10 with Cutlass, +6 Ranged

Grapple: +10

Defense: +10 (+8 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +4 Flat-Footed

Knockback:

Saving Throws: 3 + 6 + 6 = 15PP

Toughness: +10 (+3 Con, +7 Protection)

Fortitude: +6 (+3 Con, +3)

Reflex: +9 (+3 Dex, +6)

Will: +8 (+2 Wis, +6)

Skills: 28R = 7PP

Acrobatics 7 (+10)

Bluff 3 (+6)

Diplomacy 7 (+10)

Gather Info 4 (+7)

Knowledge (Streetwise) 3 (+4)

Sense Motive 4 (+6)

Feats: 11PP

Attack Focus 2 (Melee)

Attack Specialization (Cutlass)

Attractive

Defensive Attack

Dodge Focus 2

Improved Initiative 2

Luck

Power Attack

Powers: 14 + 8 + 33 = 55PP

Device 4 ("Frostbite," the Cutlass from the Cold Deep; Cold, Cutting, 20PP Container) (Feats: Restricted 2 (Only he can use), Flaws: Easy to Lose) [14PP]

(18pp Array Feats: Alternate Power 1, Improved Sunder) [20pp]

Base Power: Damage 8 ( Extras: Penetrating 8; Feats: Mighty, Precise, ) Alternate Power: Drain Toughness 4 (Extras: Affects Objects;) linked to Snare 5 (Extras: Transparent; Flaws: Range [Touch]) [18PP]

Spirit of Water 4 (8pp Container)

Environmental Adaption (water) [1pp]

Immunity 1 (Breathes Water) [1pp]

Regeneration 4 (Bruised 1, Injured 1, Disabled 1, Ability 1) (Flaw: only in water) [2pp]

Super Movement: Swim 2 [2pp]

Protection 2 [2pp]

Water Command 15.5 (31pp Array; Feats: Alternate Power 2) [33pp]

Base Power:Create Object 10 (Extras: Movable; Feats: Tether)

Alternate Power:Move Object 10 (Grab Objects with Water)(Extras: Damage;Feats: Accuracy)

Alternate Power:

• Enhanced Skill: Acrobatics 4 (Feats: Acrobatic Feint, Fast Acrobatic Feint, Move-By Action)
    Flight 5 (Water Jets) (250mph, Flaws: Limited (must end move with weight supported, i.e.: on land, in water, holding a swing line)
    Protection 5(Water Shield)(Extras: Impervious 5)
    Trip 10 (Water Blast) (Extras: Area (General, Cone), Flaws: Range (touch); Feats: Improved Trip, Progression 1 [200' per side])

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

DC Block

ATTACK      RANGE     SAVE                        EFFECT

Unarmed     Touch     DC15 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Freeze      Touch     DC14 Fortitude              Drain Toughness

"           Touch     DC15 Reflex (Staged)        Snare

Cut         Touch     DC23 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Physical)

Water Blast 200'      See Description             Trip (M&M p159)

Totals: Abilities (0) + Combat (0) + Saving Throws (0) + Skills (0) + Feats (0) + Powers (0) - Drawbacks (0) = 105/105 (or 150/150) Power Points

• 1 month later...

Looks quite solid! Nice variety in what he can do, simple but effective backstory, and his being another aquatic hero, of course, gladdens my heart.

One thing though, in the most common formatting the ranks of Feats is simply displayed on the right-hand side. If this is just for ease of reference for you, sorry to bring it up.

Also, is the magic sword called 'Frostbite' or 'Shimmer'? The History section calls it 'Shimmer', but the Device is called 'Frostbite'.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm updating it.

I was going back and forth between the two names for the sword since I hadn't rested on exactly what it did, but I seem to have settled on a "freezing-to-the-bone" kind of thing, so "Frostbite" it is.

Of course, currently, I've set this one aside and I'm in the midst of working on yet another character concept. It's my curse. Even in regular pen-and-paper RPG's I spent WAY more time creating characters than playing them and I was always bringing new ones to the table. I just couldn't help it. I get enamored of a new concept I just have to try...

I think retiring Bishop, though, is a pretty good thing. It's funny. Just after creating him, I read an article about what superpowers NOT to write super-hero fiction about, and teleportation was the big one. Too hard to have a good plot, and that is certainly what I ran into. He's just not as interesting as I thought he'd be.

I know how much work the moderators put into approving a character, so I'm not officially submitting a new one for play until it's really polished AND I'm really sure I want to stick with it a good while. I'm now juggling three concepts, and I just haven't made up my mind. I don't want to ask anything of anyone's time with one until I do, but I certainly appreciate your look-over!

That article sounds intriguing, and I can well understand how giving a character the ability to teleport at will would be dangerous in a story. Maybe you could ask Azuth65 or one of the Refs about that issue? i'm sure they'd help iron out stuff like that.

The article was something on http://www.superheronation.com/ but I can't find it now. It was just making the point that teleportation tends to break plots and is not interesting to write about. It's something that sounds cool in theory, and is cool in small doses, or as a plot vehicle (to get characters to where the action is) but as a primary or sole power, is pretty bad. It's not something to fix, it's just how it is. So, I made new characters. :) Anyway, I have another new one that I'll be posting here soon and tinkering with a while. If I get it polished up enough, I'll probably play it.

[floatr]Marshal.gif[/floatr]

Character Name:The Marshal / Marshal Connors

Power Level: 10 150/150 PP

Trade-Offs: +4 Attack / -4 Damage

In Brief: An Old-West US Marshal who was kidnapped by aliens, now returned to Earth.

Alternate Identity: Brian Connors / Brian Stephens

Birthplace:Republic of Texas

Affiliations: Lor Republic, AEGIS

Family: None

Description:

Apparent Age: 30

Weight: 190

images.jpg

Brian tends to favor a "western" look when not in costume: a flannel shirt, denim jeans, a solid pair of leather shoes, and his favorite cowboy hat. He also, when he can get away with it, wears his favorite knife on his belt in a brown leather sheath. He doesn't mind wearing more appropriate attire when called for, such as a suit and tie, and does make an effort to "fit in" with his environment.

In his costumed identity as the Marshal, he plays up the "space cowboy" image. He wears a cowboy hat and brown duster with what resembles a Marshal's star on the left breast. Under that is a dark gray, skin-tight space-suit and an alien pistol holstered at his hip in a tooled leather "old west" style pistol belt.

Power Descriptions:

Brian has no superpowers, per se. His cybernetic augmentations have no obvious effects. Nanites in his bloodstream protect him from aging, disease, and poisons, and also augment his healing ability. Implants connect to his optical nerve and certain brain centers, allowing him to connect to various computer systems. He has a virtual HUD showing the status of his equipment, targeting information, and updates from Hudson, his ship's computer.

Brian's primary weapon is an ion pistol. It can fire a damaging blast of channeled, ionized plasma, or a powerful electrical blast along an ionized beam. The electrical blast can be modulated to cause a stunning effect, or to disrupt technological devices in a channeled EMP. When set to stun or EMP, the pistol fires a blue/white beam. When set to blast, it fires a brighter blue/white bolt of energy. Because the pistol was fabricated with nano-technology, it has no screws, bolts, or seams, being what appears to be solid metal and rubberized plastic.

Brian wears a reactive armored vac suit which consists of a thin, grayish, skin-tight material made with nano-technology. It can disperse energy such as heat, radiation, or electricity, and when it is hit with balistic attack, it momentarily becomes harder than steel at the point of impact. The suit can be comfortably worn under other clothing and gives no indication of its armored qualities. When it needs to be sealed in dangerous environments, the material quickly extends itself over his hands, feet, and head (with a transparent face). The suit includes a belt which holds its power supply, integrated computer / comlink, and oxygen scrubber. The belt has been customized to look like a tooled leather old-west pistol belt. When not in costume, he can wear the suit under regular clothes. He has a second belt that is ordinary looking with its bulkier components disguised as a cell phone.

800px-Wraith.jpg

Brian's starship is a Valeri scout ship designed for prolonged, unsupported excursions into the border areas. It is equipped with a cloaking device, a blaster cannon, and a short-range transporter. It is also fitted with a high-end sensor suite capable of detecting and analyzing a broad spectrum of energy emissions. The ship itself is compact and utilitarian-looking, dark gray and streamlined for atmospheric operation. It looks like the front end of a bullet train, cut off at about 80' long, with a bank of ion engines in the back. Due to its nano-tech construction, its outside surface has no seams, panels, or bolts, and is entirely smooth.

The ship's on-board AI-computer, Brian has named "Hudson." Because Hudson's exposure to the English language has been limited to interactions with Brian, it speaks with the same accent and speech patterns he does. It is capable of linking to other computers, analyzing data quickly, and operating the ship's systems.

History:

Brian Connors was born in 1841 in the Republic of Texas. His father was a rancher and he worked on his father's ranch until he turned 18 when he took work as a scout and eventually a Texas Ranger. After the Civil war, he moved farther west, to the New Mexico Territory, where he was appointed a federal marshal responsible for a handful of lands in present-day Arizona.

In 1871, he went to investigate reports of strange lights in the hills which turned out to be a scouting party of Gordar, a war-like alien race assessing Earth for possible future conquest. They captured Brian and took him to a mother ship. Brian managed to surprise and overcome the aliens, freed other enslaved aliens of various races and, with their assembled effort, escaped the Gordar in a stolen ship.

Two of the aliens in his ragtag group were of the Valeri race -- a peaceful civilization that fought constantly against Gordarian incursions. The group made its way to the Valeri homeworld where, as an honor for his bravery and service, (and, perhaps, to secure his continued usefulness), Brian was injected with nanities that would make him virtually immortal.

Unfortunately, the Valeri had no idea where Earth was and could not help Brian return home. Brian continued to serve the Valeri by patrolling the frontiers of their space, keeping the peace, and helping fend off the attacks of the Gordar, the Stellar Khanate, and various criminal elements.

About 50 years ago, the Valeri were incorporated into the Lor Republic and Brian continued working as frontier lawman, working in various sectors of the edges of Lor space. Recently, it was put together that the unknown, backwater world that Brian came from and the protectorate planet Earth was the same place. Brian could finally go home.

Brian was allowed to muster out of the patrol service and was only asked to continue to assist the Lor with Earth's "delicate situation" as he could on an informal basis. The Lor advised Brian to settle in the Freedom City area and to keep a low profile until he learned his way around better. Preferring a more direct approach, and seeing it as the only real way to get back to doing the only thing he'd ever done, he went straight to the local office of the US Marshal Service in the Freedom City Federal Building.

The Marshal's office verified, as best they could, that Brian was what he presented himself to be. But, this being a matter somewhat outside the Marshals' purview, Brian was referred to the 23rd floor -- the public offices of AEGIS. After much deliberation, it was decided that Brian would be enrolled provisionally as an AEGIS trainee. It was felt that, while Brian might be a tremendous asset, the gaps in his knowledge would have to be addressed before he could operate with the agency in a meaningful way.

Brian spent three months at the AEGIS base outside of Freedom City training and being evaluated. While there, his squad of trainees helped him put together a superhero identity as "The Marshal" after showing him how much people still glamorized the Old West in movies and TV shows. They also dubbed him with his official AEGIS codename: Cowpoke.

After the evaluations and basic training, it was clear where Brian's shortcomings were. As a result, he was recently given an undercover identity as Brian Stephens and enrolled as a part time student at FCU, where he is taking courses in criminal justice and remedial modern history.

Brian had always lived on the frontier, keeping the peace and fighting the good fight. Now he finds himself on the wildest frontier of his life.

Brian is motivated by a love of freedom and justice. He has always been fiercely independent, loving the wide open frontier. He has a strong sense of honor, and takes very seriously the oath he swore to defend the Constitution, even though he swore that oath over 150 years ago.

Brian tends towards extremes when spending his free time. He is comfortable around people, and can even be "the life of the party," but he also needs a lot more solitude than most and frequently takes long trips into space or the wilderness. He also chases new experiences and relishes luxury. Since his living expenses are minimal, he blows most of his money lavishly on gambling, fine foods, expensive hotels, and touring exotic locations.

Though he's not very "book-smart," Brian is cunning, resourceful, and tenacious. He has an indominable spirit, or "grit," as his father would put it. He excels at "thinking outside the box" and solving problems by intuition and instinct.

While Brian understands a much broader spectrum of technology than modern Americans, he lacks the vocabulary to describe it in English, since it all came about after his time. As a result, he speaks in an odd mixture of 1870's colloquial English and occasional alien jargon. He speaks with a strong West Texas accent. He doesn't even know the common words for his own equipment. For example, he refers to his sidearm as a "lightning pistol."

He is well mannered -- a true southern gentlemen, even though raised on the frontier, thanks to his mother's training. He has a friendly smile and is self effacing. Over scores of years of helping fringe world aliens defend their homes and fighting criminals and petty tyrants, he has learned to value friendship and social niceties.

He avoids combat when possible, preferring peaceful solutions. He's seen too often what can go wrong in a fight. But, when push comes to shove, he tries to end his fights quickly and efficiently.

Powers & Tactics:

Outside of the Marshal's shiny toys, his greatest asset is his experience and strong will. He is highly observant, creative and resourceful. He is most skilled in investigating crimes and resolving disputes -- skills that have been honed from over a century and a half of frontier peace-keeping.

He uses his social skills to try to resolve situations without combat. When that fails, he uses feints and misdirection when possible to maximize his advantage and land powerful stunning attacks with his sidearm.

His primary attack is the ion pistol, which has three modes of operation: a damaging blast, an electrical stun, and an EMP that can temporarily disable most technological devices. He doesn't use the damaging attack unless he is targeting a construct of some kind or as last resort. The pistol has integral circuitry which polls Brian's implants for a unique security code, allowing the weapon to only be used by him. It also interfaces with his implants to improve accuracy.

Brian makes frequent use of his ship and its computer as field support and is in near constant contact with Hudson. It has been his partner and only backup for many years. He often has it performing overwatch, online research, and analyzing clues as it sits cloaked in near orbit.

Brian's implants allow him to interface with computers he is in physical contact with. He is normally interfaced with his handgun's circuitry and his suit's comlink, which allows him to subtly communicate with his ship.

Complications:

Out of Touch: Brian has had no exposure to popular culture and the events of the past 140 years, so there are many things he doesn't understand.

A Man of Honor: He keeps his word, pays his debts, and will not cheat or steal. He will lie, though not to defraud. He will not stand for injustice or evil. He strongly believes in the principles of the Declaration of Independence.

Livin' Large: He has always believed in living with gusto, but over 150 years of living has jaded him to the point he is only really satisfied by extremes. On his weekends, he could easily be gambling in Monaco, visiting ancient ruins, dining in Paris, or relaxing on one of Jupiter's moons.

Alien Technology: Brian is very skilled in using the technology he has, and has a working understanding of its operation, but he doesn't fully understand it. It may have a number of "features" he is as yet unaware of.

Government Agent: While he is not currently fully sanctioned by AEGIS, he does have to "go by the rules." He is also subject to be called upon for training or an assignment under supervision.

Owes the Lor Republic and the Valeri: He may be called upon from time to time to assist the Lor or the Valeri. He will not act in any way against the interests of the U.S. or his conscience, but still could be easily and seriously inconvenienced.

Secret Identity: Technically, "Brian Stephens" is just a cover identity, but since his real identity has no birth certificate, credit, high school records, and such, it is pretty important that he maintains it.

College Student: Brian's studies at FCU are not just part of his cover. Rather, his cover identity was created so that he could study and learn what he needs to know. AEGIS has no major training facilities of its own, so civilian college courses were seen as the most efficient solution to Brian's huge gaps in common knowledge and lack of experience with current law enforcement procedure. If he does poorly in his classes, it will severely affect his standing with AEGIS.

Abilities: 0 + 2 + 6 + 2 + 12 + 6 = 28PP

Strength: 10 (+0)

Dexterity: 12 (+1)

Wisdom: 22 (+6)

Combat: 10 + 12 = 22PP

Initiative: +5

Attack: +5 Melee, +8 Ranged, +14 Ion Pistol

Grapple: +5

Defense: +10 (+6 Base, +4 Dodge Focus), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -0

Saving Throws: 5 + 5 + 5 = 15PP

Toughness: +10 (+3 Con, +7 Vac Suit)

Fortitude: +8 (+3 Con, +5)

Reflex: +6 (+1 Dex, +5)

Will: +11 (+6 Wis, +5)

Skills: 96R = 24PP

Bluff 12 (+15) Skill Mastery

Diplomacy 7 (+10)

Gather Info 12 (+15) Skill Mastery

Handle Animal 2 (+5)

Intimidation 7 (+10)

Investigate 8 (+9) Skill Mastery

Knowledge: Tactics 4 (+5)

Language 3: (Lor, Spanish, (English Native), Valerian)

Notice 9 (+15)

Pilot 4 (+5)

Ride 2 (+3)

Search 9 (+10)

Sense Motive 9 (+15) Skill Mastery

Stealth 4 (+5)

Survival 4 (+10)

Feats: 32PP

Attack Focus 3 (Ranged)

Attack Specialization (+2 with Ion Pistol)

Defensive Attack

Dodge Focus 4

Equipment 13 (65ep)

Environmental Adaption (Zero Gravity)

Improved Initiative

Luck 2

Minion 3 ("Hudson")

Power Attack

Skill Mastery (Bluff, Gather Info, Investigate, Sense Motive)

Quick Draw

Strength 40 (Medium load = 2 tons), Speed 8 (Flight) [16ep], Toughness 11, Defense 6, Size: Gargantuan [3ep]

Features: Communications, Computer, Holding Cell (Nullify 10), Lab (Flaw: Investigation Only), Self-Repairing, Workshop (Nanite Fabricator)

Ship Systems 10 (20pp Array, Feats: Alternate Power 3)[23ep]

Base Power: Blast 10 (Blaster Cannon, Energy) [20pp]

Alternate Power: Space Flight 12 (12,000c = 1 ly per 45 min) [12pp] + Flight 4 (50,000 mph) [8pp] (Warp Drive)

Alternate Power: Concealment 5 (all vision and radar) [10pp] (Cloaking Device)

Alternate Power: Teleport 6 (Warp Portal)(20 mile range) (Feats: Progression (10'x 10'); Extras: Accurate, Portal (+2), Flaws: Others Only, Limited - only to/from ship)(Note: the portal is actually a rectangle about 6' wide and 8' tall, with rounded corners - the same size and shape as the ship's airlocks) [19pp]

Super Senses 17 (Radio [Accute, Radius, Ranged], Accurate (Radio Sense), Analytical (Radio Sense), Detect EM Energy (Radio Sense), Extended 5 (~200 mile increment), Tracking 2 (Full Move)) [17ep]

Abilities: Str -, Dex 10, Con -, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha - [-24pp]

Combat: Offense +1 (+3 w/Blaster Cannon), Defense +0

Skills 68pts [17pp]: Computers 12 (+15), Craft 5 (+8) (artistic), Craft 5 (+8) (chemical), Craft 7 (+10) (electronic), Craft 5 (+8) (mechanical), Investigate 10 (+13), Notice 10 (+10), Pilot 4 (+4), Search 10 (+10)

Feats: [4pp]:

Attack Specialization (Blaster Cannon +2), Computer Research, Eidetic Memory, Inventor

Powers: [46pp]

Comprehend 3 (Speak, Read, Hear all Languages) [6pp]

Datalink 6 (20 mile range) [6pp]

Immunity 30 (Con Effects) [30pp]

Quickness 8 (Flaws: Mental Only) (x500 speed) [4pp]

Powers: 6 + 11 + 12 = 29PP

Device 3 (Ion Pistol, technological, electricity; 15pp Container; Extras: Restricted 2 (Only him), Flaws: Easy to Lose) [11pp]

Array 6 (Extras: Accurate (+2 Attack), Alternate Power 2) [15pp]

Base Power: Blast 6

Alternate Power: Nullify 6 (All Technological)

Alternate Power: Stun 6

Device 3 (Reactive Armor Vac Suit; 15pp Container; Flaws: Hard to Lose)[12pp]

Feature 1: Computer with Comlink

Immunity 6 (Heat, Cold, Radiation, Suffocation (all), Vacuum)

Protection 7 (Extra: Subtle)

Nanite Technology and Implants (6pp Container) [6pp]

Feature 1 adds Power Feat: Subtle to computers ("data jack" - can interface with computers mentally if he is physically in contact with them) [1pp]

Immunity 3 (Aging, Illness, Poison) [3pp]

Regeneration 2 (Injured 20 mins, Disabled 5 hours) [2pp]

Drawbacks: 0PP

DC Block

Blast       600'      DC21 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Energy)

Stun        600'      DC16 Fort                   Daze / Stun

Nullify     600'      DC16 Reflex / Power         Tech Powers Nullified

Totals: Abilities (28) + Combat (22) + Saving Throws (15) + Skills (24) + Feats (32) + Powers (29) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

Working on some new builds for Marshal's Gear. I'm just putting my rambling notes here until I figure out what I'm going to do. Comments are welcome. I could use all the help on this I can get. :)

Current Builds:

Strength 40 (Medium load = 2 tons), Speed 8 (Flight) [16ep], Toughness 11, Defense 6, Size: Gargantuan [3ep]

Features: Communications, Computer, Holding Cell (Nullify 10), Lab (Flaw: Investigation Only), Self-Repairing, Workshop (Nanite Fabricator)

Ship Systems 10 (20pp Array, Feats: Alternate Power 3)[23ep]

Base Power: Blast 10 (Blaster Cannon, Energy) [20pp]

Alternate Power: Space Flight 12 (12,000c = 1 ly per 45 min) [12pp] + Flight 4 (50,000 mph) [8pp] (Warp Drive)

Alternate Power: Teleport 6 (Warp Portal)(20 mile range) (Feats: Progression (10'x 10'); Extras: Accurate, Portal (+2), Flaws: Others Only, Limited - only to/from ship)(Note: the portal is actually a rectangle about 6' wide and 8' tall, with rounded corners - the same size and shape as the ship's airlocks) [19pp]

Super Senses 17 (Radio [Accute, Radius, Ranged], Accurate (Radio Sense), Analytical (Radio Sense), Detect EM Energy (Radio Sense), Extended 5 (~200 mile increment), Tracking 2 (Full Move)) [17ep]

Abilities: Str -, Dex 10, Con -, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha - [-24pp]

Combat: Offense +1 (+3 w/Blaster Cannon), Defense +0

Skills 68pts [17pp]: Computers 12 (+15), Craft 5 (+8) (artistic), Craft 5 (+8) (chemical), Craft 7 (+10) (electronic), Craft 5 (+8) (mechanical), Investigate 10 (+13), Notice 10 (+10), Pilot 4 (+4), Search 10 (+10)

Feats: [4pp]:

Attack Specialization (Blaster Cannon +2), Computer Research, Eidetic Memory, Inventor

Now, here is a big problem: teleport. That seems to be the big sticking point. Actually, my original design didn't have teleport, but I felt I needed to put it in for fluff, and as a way to make sure he can be where he needs to be. Why fluff? The ship is basically from the Lor Republic, who cannonically have short-range teleport technology. I feel I'd have to explain why the ship doesn't have a teleporter if I left it out.

Possibility: it's a Valeri design, not originally part of the Republic. Maybe it's so dated, it couldn't be retrofitted, or transporters require too much power for a scout ship, which has sensitive scanners and such.

First idea: make the ship an HQ instead of a vehicle. I toyed with this before, and rejected it due to the teleport and general usefulness. Well, if we do away with the teleport, then...

Toughness 15 [2ep]

Size: Medium [1ep]

Features: Communications, Computer, Infirmary, Isolated, Holding Cell (Nullify 10), Lab, Library, Living Space, Power System, Security System, Self-Repairing, Workshop (Nanite Fabricator)

Powers

Blast 10 (Blaster Cannon, Energy)

Space Flight 10

Concealment 5 (all vision and radar)(Cloaking Device)

Super Senses 10 Radar, Acute, Extended 6 (~2,000 mile increment)

Super Senses 10 Detect EM Energy (Radio) Acute, Analysis, Extended 5 (~200 mile increment)

hmm... another concern was lots of supersenses real cheap and it's getting there. I want to put on some telescopic vision and such, so, yeah, that's a problem, too.

But, there would be plenty of points freed up, and there could be a shuttle or something. The teleport power could be bought personally instead of on the ship, too.

But, what if we go back to the vehicle idea and maybe take the cannon off? It's not really a combat vehicle, anyway. Streamline everything a bit and maybe give the sensor suite modes of operation.

Features: Communications, Computer, Holding Cell (Nullify 10), Lab (Flaw: Investigation Only), Remote Control, Self-Repairing, Workshop (Nanite Fabricator)

Ship Systems 5 (10pp Array, Feats: Alternate Power 2)[12ep]

Base Power: Space Flight 10 (Warp Drive)

Alternate Power: Teleport 5 (5 mile range) (Extras: Accurate, Usable By Others [+0], Flaws: Long Range Only)[10pp]

Sensor Array 5 (10pp Array, Feats: Alternate Power)[11ep]

Base Power:Super Senses 10 Radar, Acute, Extended 6 (~2,000 mile increment)

Alternate Power: Super Senses 10 Detect EM Energy (Radio) Acute, Analysis, Extended 5 (~200 mile increment)

Okay, so it does still have a transporter, but it's short range and one-way. No guns. No need for the AI to be tied into it, so we can fix the CHA issue, etc:

Abilities: Str -, Dex -, Con -, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 4 [-30pp]

Skills 64pts [16pp]: Computers 12 (+15), Craft 5 (+8) (artistic), Craft 5 (+8) (chemical), Craft 7 (+10) (electronic), Craft 5 (+8) (mechanical), Investigate 10 (+13), Notice 10 (+10), Search 10 (+10)

Feats: [3pp]:

Computer Research, Eidetic Memory, Inventor

He's got 10 points free, now. I'll figure out what to spend them on later.

So, with the ship cheaper, that frees up 3 pp. He'd use that for some kind of one-way teleport back to the ship, I think, as a personal power. Also, I have to figure out what to do about the serious problem with his pistol: stun having no range.

I'll get back to looking at it some more later.

Quick new thought: the point of teleport is, fluff wise too, that he should be expected to deploy quickly to hotspots. Maybe just use personal flight, instead. Hell, he could be dropped in from orbit if he needed to be, given his vac suit, then return to the ship by personal flight, too. (That was actually one of my original concepts: some kind of drop-pod deployment kind of thing before I went to teleport for fluff reasons). So much to think about.

If you're going to drop him in from orbit, better give him a way to handle a rank 20 Damage effect. :P

Yeah, he'd be pretty squishy as he is written right now. I was thinking some kind of flight, basically.

Okay, so to help me organize my thoughts and options, I'm doing a "functional analysis" of what he's got, why he's got it / what function it is intended to serve, and other possibilities:

Ship

• An explanation of how he got here
    A plot vehicle to get him into stories IN SPAAACE
    A set for scenes doing sci-fi-ish stuff.

Alternatives:

• He got dropped off by the Lor. "See ya!"
    A vastly trimmed down ship. The "good" ship he used in alien border patrol was government property, but he got his hands on / was given a "civilian" model.

Ship guns

• Assuming the ship is the one he's been using for year enforcing space frontier law, it seems it should have guns. I didn't really anticipate using them, since ship-to-ship combat is not something I'm foreseeing. It just seemed necessary to make the ship credible for what it's stated role was

Alternatives
  • Drop the cannons, obviously. It's either a civilian model, or simply not intended for ship-to-ship combat.

Teleport

• For fluff: Lor has teleport technology.
    A practical way to get around, assuming he can't fly or drive and doesn't want the hassle of landing a huge starship downtown.

Options:

• Drop it for flight. There would have to be some good fluff reason not to have it: the Lor have the technology, but it's expensive or power hungry or impractical on the scale he's using or simply out of his reach. I don't have enough detail about the Lor to really know for sure.
    Rebuild it in an acceptable way. Teleporter is one-way out. Teleporting back is technically a personal power, but explained as using a teleport transponder or something.

Ship sensor array

• Mostly to make the ship credible for its stated role: operating as a border patrol ship.
    In conjunction with Hudson, used for overwatch / situational awareness (though, as written, not very good for it.)

Options

• Simplify it, since it's mainly used to satisfy fluff, really. Say it's intended to detect BIG things - other ships, bases, etc. Leave personal powers (a tri-corder?) for more localized "sensing."

Hudson
  • A foil for the main character.
    An explanation for the occasional one-off gadget he might need
    A way to have some skills Brian needs to be a credible investigator, but doesn't have due to his background: mainly computer research skills.
    a provider of overwatch / intelligence support

Options

• Brian would be paying hero points every time he uses a gadget anyway, and doesn't build them himself. It sounds like the Connected feat, but "connected" to the ship in some way? Maybe as the benefit feat, instead, since using diplomacy on his ship wouldn't make much sense.

What if the AI is entirely fluff and it's bought as a device with an array of powers / skills? It only really does a few things, anyway. It would cost more points, but the resulting device could be useful to stunt off of. Also, having his tools in hand rather than floating in the sky make sense fluff-wise, too: signals could be jammed / interrupted very easily.

What if Hudson was a flying / hovering drone? That could be interesting. But weird. He'd have to have some kind of cloaking device, or just fly really high most of the time. As I was falling asleep, I had the idea of making him a flying robot that doubled as a jetpack. Cool, kind of, but too... I don't know... silly sounding, although it also seems very practical. If Hudson could fly, why not design it so it could carry Brian, too?

Okay, so I'm going to try to go with the ship as an HQ, and pare it down to stuff not-too-cheesy.

Toughness 10 [1ep]

Size: Small[1ep]

Features: Communications, Computer, Crew, Isolated, Lab, Library, Power System, Security System, Self-Repairing, Workshop

Powers

Blast 10 (Blaster Cannon, Energy)

Space Flight 10

Super Senses 10 Radar, Acute, Extended 6 (~2,000 mile increment)

Super Senses 10 Detect EM Energy (Radio), Accurate, Acute, Extended 4 (~20 mile increment)

Total cost = 15ep = Equipment 3

Doesn't have a teleporter. It's too small for one and they take too much energy. It has a credible sensor array, but it's not powerful enough to be useful in most adventuring situations. Since the ship has to stay in orbit, EM detection would be -4 to -6 or so on detection rolls to pick up things in the city. It's mainly for identifying things close by ("He's powering up weapons!") and being able to say, "yeah, there's a city down there."

The "Crew" is, basically, its AI and automated systems. Damn thing is a spaceship! Gorran right it needs some kind of AI! This way, it has its AI, but it's just in the background taking care of minor details.

Here is a work-in-progress version of Hudson as a flying drone / backpack:

Device 4.4 [22dp] (Flaw: Hard to Lose) [17.6pp]

Communication 7 (Radio) [7pp]

Well Informed [1pp]

Array 6 (12 pt Array; Feats: Alternative Power 2) [14pp]

Base Power: Enhanced Skill: Computer 8, Feat: Computer Research,

+ Quickness 6 (Flaws: Mental Only) (x100 speed) [3pp]

+ Comprehend 3 (Speak, Read, Hear all Languages) [6pp]

Alt Power: Flight 6 [12pp]

Alt Power: ESP 4 (1 mile range) (Visual and hearing (so, base 3per level)(Extras: No Conduit, Simultaneous, Flaws: Feedback, Limited (has to be physically able to reach the location); Drawbacks: Noticable (a flying drone)) + Supersense 1 (Infrared)

It's communication power is to be able to contact the ship, monitor radio traffic, and connecting to cellular networks for computer use / phoning people. It has Well Informed" because it is constantly scanning the 'net and the radio waves for useful information and compiling it into databases anticipating Brian's needs for infomation. It can also network with other computers through the radio link (as cellular, bluetooth, etc.) and perform database searches very quickly. It can perform these functions flying around.

It does not multitask very well. If it is flying Brian around, it is devoting most of its processing power to flight control. (I know that really shouldn't be THAT processor intensive, but cut me some slack. I don't know, maybe it's that the energy output for that much flight thrust interferes with the something or other) It's ESP power represents it flying around by itself, relaying info to Brian. If it is attacked, there is feedback to his implants. If it is cut off from being able to get to his back and fly him around... maybe a complication?

A huge point sink is the Communication 7 sitting outside the array. (Something my original build didn't have, come to think of it. Just how the hell was he supposed to "be in constant contact with Hudson," anyway? Oh, right, I cheesed it by giving Hudson Datalink and having Hudson hook into his vacsuit computer.) Maybe I can roll it into the array somehow, but that doesn't seem to make sense, except that it could make the base power bigger, and so better for stunting. (ARRGH! Stop the cheese!)

But anyways, at 18 pp, that leaves a 5 pp deficit after pulling points out of Equipment and Minion, and still no answer for the Ion Pistol problem, which seems to be most easily solvable with an infusion of pp. (Or just making it Stun 4 with range... and being under caps on what should be my most used attack... not a good idea.)

Okay, so how about Hudson as a flying AI drone minion that can latch onto his back and fly him around if he needs to?

I can smell cheese already, but conceptually, this might work.

'Hudson' the AI "Flying Drone Partner" [60pp = Minion 4]

Abilities: Str 4, Dex 4, Con -, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 4 [-22pp]

Skills 44pts [11pp]: Computers 12 (+15), Investigate 10 (+13), Notice 10 (+10), Search 12 (+10)

Feats:

Computer Research, Eidetic Memory

Powers:

Communication 7 (200 mile range) [7pp]

Flight 6 (Extra: Usable by Others) [18pp]

Supersenses (4 points worth of stuff)

Well, that would certainly leave enough points for his upgraded gun.

Cheezy? Well, we have a minion buying a power for the main character to use.

Yeah. Cheezy. Back to the drawing board.

Maybe buy the Flight down a bit, make him something small and portable, and not a flight source.

Or, make him a sidekick? That's 12 points instead of 4. It's more expensive flight than with a vehicle, then (having to buy usable by others). I imagine that would cut down the cheese factor significantly. Would only have a 1 pp shortfall, which is easy to fix. Sounds good so far.

So, now maybe I can turn my attention to his iconic Ion Pistol...

oooh... wait wait wait. What if we had a small ship, a shuttle of some kind. Hudson could do his thing (as an un-cheezy minion) from the smaller ship. Let's see...

Strength 30 (Medium load = ?), Speed 8 (Flight) [16ep], Toughness 9, Defense 8, Size: Huge [2ep]

Features: Communications, Computer

Concealment 5 (all vision and radar) [10pp] (Cloaking Device)

Super Senses 6 Radar, Extended 3 [6pp]

Super Senses 4 Detect EM Energy (Radio Sense) Accurate, Acute [4pp]

= 38ep = Equipment 8 (with 2ep left over)

Total equipment cost, with the HQ, would be 11. This has possibilities.

I appreciate your cheeze-dar! well done.

I would take a step back here and think what you think will make good stories. "Hudson" would work fine to me as a inanimate computer. Your cheeze-dar is pinging, rightly, at the thought of a computer you can access and talk to and who does all your brain functions remotely - effectively giving you all those skills at a massive discount. the same goes for an HQ/Vehicle that uses powers for you.

This is a solid fun character to my mind - a man out of time.

Weapons on a vehicle is fine by me: a cheeze problem is having the vehicle operate independently of you, having a weapon station that attacks in addition to your own actions - that is effectively what a sidekick or minion does.

But may be step back and look at what complications you have. Conflict drives stories, and the more you can inject into the character the more interesting and fun you will have.

E.g Hudson could be a pacifist AI programmed for extreme non-violence. OK, so it will obey you, but you have to lie to it about what you are doing. Or it has a morph ability allowing it to transform into household objects, and demands to be taken everywhere to protect you, even though it has no DEX... or, say, it was programmed to be "user friendly", so has taken on an extreme Cowboy (or Indian) persona in order to "interact with you on your level..." just some mad ideas about what could drive conflict and interest.

As for the ship, you could add slow fall to your vacc-suit if you want a nice drop-attack! teleport is fine one way, and the supersenses are ok to - after all, you cant bring your space ship to many fights.

Anyway good luck with this, my advice is take a step back and think what would make good threads and keep up your interest, then build the crunch around that.

The Cheeze can be avoided in any concept.

"Taking a step back" was exactly what I was thinking, too. This is my favorite concept, so far, and I want to make it work.

And you're right about the story - that's my main focus, too.

I hadn't thought of those kinds of interesting twists on Hudson, though. Food for thought.

The main point of Hudson is that, fluff wise, Brian had to be expected to be able to operate in varying and unique cultural and social environments, and had to have some kind of support given he was lightyears from help. I'm not thinking he should be able to do everything, though. Exactly where to draw the line where it maximizes interesting-ness is the tricky part.

I think I'll put that aside a while, though, and ruminate.

So, turning my attention to his iconic Ion Pistol. I mean, what kind of space cowboy would he be with his cool pistola?

Here is how it stands now:

Device 3 (Ion Pistol, technological, electricity; 15pp Container; Extras: Restricted 2 (Only him), Flaws: Easy to Lose) [11pp]

Array 6 (Extras: Accurate (+2 Attack), Alternate Power 2) [15pp]

Base Power: Blast 6

Alternate Power: Nullify 6 (All Technological)

Alternate Power: Stun 6

Stun has got to be ranged. No way around it. That brings the Array to 18 points each slot, and at 5 dp per level of device, would come to a nice, even 20dp if the accurate level weren't there. It makes sense to me that the thing would have some kind of futuristic aiming assistance, but, oh well. And, to save points, the Restricted 2 will have to go. Don't leave it laying out where kids could get to it, Brian.

Device 4 (Ion Pistol, technological, electricity; 20pp Container; Flaws: Easy to Lose) [12pp]

Array 9 (18 point array), Alternate Power 2) [20pp]

Base Power: Blast 6 (Extras: Penetrating 6)

Alternate Power: Nullify 6 (All Technological) (Extras: Duration - Concentration)

Alternate Power: Stun 6 (Extras: Range - Normal)

Okay, not too bad. Costs an extra 2 points (since he is going to have to buy another rank of the Attack Specialization feat), but gains a LOT of ability. The nullify is much more useful. It's concentration duration because he has to keep the beam tracking on the target. (Maybe a complication: power drops if beam is broken / target goes out of range).

The blast is a bit nicer and can punch some big holes in people who need big holes punched in them. Yeah, this is not bad at all.

Another shot at Hudson, the Flying Droid Partner [75pp = Minion 5]

Abilities: Str -6 (-8 from shrinking), Dex 4, Con -, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 4 [-24pp]

Attack +2 (Size), Defense +2 (Size), Toughness 8 (Shrinking -2, Protection 10)

Skills 24pts [6pp]: Computers 12 (+15), Notice 5 (+5), Search 7 (+10)

Feats: [3pp]

Computer Research, Eidetic Memory, Second Chance (Computer)

Powers: [89pp]

Communication 7 (200 mile range) (Extras: Area, Feats: Selective, Subtle) [16pp]

Concealment 4 (All Vision) (Flaws: Blending) [4pp]

Datalink 2 [2pp]

Flight 4 [8pp]

Protection 10 [10pp]

Shrinking 8 (Feat: Innate; Flaw: Permanent) (Size:tiny) [5pp]

Super-Senses 6 (Extended 2 (Vision), Extended 2 (Hearing), Radio, Time Sense) [6pp]

Hudson, when in flight mode, is a disk about 15" in diameter and an inch thick. It folds in half and attaches to the left side of his belt.

I like some of SC's ideas about its personality. I already gave it a "cowboy" accent, given Brian was the only source of English it's heard before coming to Freedom City. It makes sense, on top of that, that it would further awkwardly try to imitate Brian's mannerisms and style. Since it was built to serve as "backup" to Brian, it might come up with creative ways of interpreting its primary mission. It's not fanatic, only helpful, so it could conceivably balk at its instructions if it doesn't feel they are appropriate.

This seems to work and doesn't have a strong cheesy odor. It's strong with computer skills, but, all the reporting Brian gets from Hudson after it researches is filtered through Hudson's CHA 4 personality.

It's credible given the concept fluff. It handles basic support, research, communication, translation, etc. Translation should be interesting, given its low CHA.

Crunch draft 2.0

Tradeoffs: -3 DC / +3 Attack

Attack: +5 Melee, +7 Ranged, +13 Ion Pistol

Saving Throws: 5 + 5 + 4 = 14PP

Will: +10 (+6 Wis, +4)

Skills: 80R = 20PP

Bluff 12 (+15)Skill Mastery

Diplomacy 7 (+10)

Gather Info 12 (+15)Skill Mastery

Handle Animal 1 (+4)

Intimidation 7 (+10)

Investigate 9 (+10)Skill Mastery

Notice 9 (+15)

Ride 1 (+2)

Search 9 (+10)

Sense Motive 9 (+15)Skill Mastery

Survival 1 (+7)

Feats: 26PP

Attack Focus 2 (Ranged)

Benefit: Can access inventions from ship. (Only "standard" Lor devices)

Defensive Attack

Dodge Focus 4

Equipment 5 (25ep)

Improved Initiative

Luck 2

Minion 5 ("Hudson")

Power Attack

Quick Draw

Toughness 10 [1ep]

Size: Medium[1ep]

Features: Communications, Computer, Crew, Holding Cell (Nullify 10), Interrogation Room, Isolated, Lab, Library, Living Quarters, Power System, Security System, Self-Repairing, Teleport Anchor, Workshop

Powers

Blast 10 (Blaster Cannon)

Space Flight 10 (Warp Drive)

Super Senses 10 Radar (Radio), Acute, Extended 6 (~2,000 mile increment) (Sensor Array)

Super Senses 10 Detect EM Energy (Radio), Accurate, Acute, Extended 4 (~20 mile increment) (Sensor Array)

Teleport 7 (200 mile range; Extras: Accurate, Affects Others (+0); Flaws: Long-Range; Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity) (Transporter)

Abilities: Str 1, Dex 4, Con -, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 4 [-25pp]

Attack +4 (Size), Defense +4 (Size), Toughness 6 (Shrinking -4, Protection 10)

Skills 32pts [8pp]: Computers 12 (+15), Disguise 4 (+11), Notice 5 (+5), Search 7 (+10), Stealth 4 (+13)

Communication 7 (200 mile range) (Extras: Area, Feats: Selective, Subtle) [16pp]

Datalink 2 [2pp]

Flight 3 [6pp]

Morph 2 (Machines) [4pp]

Protection 10 [10pp]

Shrinking 12 (Feat: Innate; Flaw: Permanent) (Size: diminutive) [7pp]

Super-Senses 4 (Extended (Vision -1/100'), Extended (Hearing -1/100'), Radio, Time Sense) [6pp]

Powers: 15 + 20 + 5 = 40PP

Device 5 (Ion Pistol 25pp Container; Flaws: Easy to Lose) [15pp]

• Ion Pistol 10.5 (21 point array)Feats: Accuracy 2, Alternate Power 2) [25pp]
Base Power: Blast 7 (Extras: Penetrating 7)
Alternate Power: Nullify 7 (All Technological) (Extras: Duration - Concentration)
Alternate Power: Stun 7 (Extras: Range - Normal)

Device 5 (Reactive-Cloth Vac Suit; 25dp Container; Flaws: Hard to Lose)[20pp]

• Com Unit 3.5 (7pt array) (Feats: Alternative Power) [8dp]
Base Power: Communication 7 (200 mile range) (Radio)
Alternative Power: Teleport 7 (200 miles) (Flaws: Anchor (Starship), Long-Range; Feats: Change Velocity, Change Direction)

Flight 1 (Flaw: Distracting) [1dp]
Immunity 7 (Heat, Cold, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation (all), Vacuum)[7dp]
Power Feat: Quick Change 2 [2dp]
Protection 7 [7dp]

Nanite Injection (5pp Container) [5pp]

DC Block

Blast       700'      DC22 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Energy)

Stun        700'      DC17 Fort                   Daze / Stun

Nullify     700'      DC17 Reflex / Power         Tech Powers Nullified

Totals: Abilities (28) + Combat (22) + Saving Throws (14) + Skills (20) + Feats (26) + Powers (40) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

[floatr]Marshal.gif[/floatr]

Character Name:The Marshal / Marshal Connors

Power Level: 10 150/150 PP

Trade-Offs: +3 Attack / -3 Damage

In Brief: An Old-West US Marshal who was kidnapped by aliens, now returned to Earth after a 150-year career as a space frontier lawman.

Alternate Identity: Brian Connors / Brian Stephens

Birthplace:Republic of Texas

Affiliations: Lor Republic, AEGIS

Family: None

Description:

Apparent Age: 30

Weight: 190

images.jpg

Brian tends to favor a "western" look when not in costume: a flannel shirt, denim jeans, a solid pair of leather shoes, and his favorite cowboy hat. He also, when he can get away with it, wears his favorite knife on his belt in a brown leather sheath. He doesn't mind wearing more appropriate attire when called for, such as a suit and tie, and does make an effort to "fit in" with his environment.

In his costumed identity as the Marshal, he plays up the "space cowboy" image. He wears a cowboy hat and brown duster with what resembles a Marshal's star on the left breast. Under that is a dark gray, skin-tight space-suit and an alien pistol holstered at his hip in a tooled leather "old west" style pistol belt.

Power Descriptions:

Brian has no superpowers, per se. His cybernetic augmentations have no obvious effects. Nanites in his bloodstream protect him from aging, disease, and poisons, and also augment his healing ability.

Brian's primary weapon is an ion pistol. It can fire a damaging blast of channeled, ionized plasma, or a powerful electrical blast along an ionized beam. The electrical blast can be modulated to cause a stunning effect, or to disrupt technological devices in a channeled EMP. When set to stun or EMP, the pistol fires a blue/white beam. When set to blast, it fires a brighter blue/white bolt of energy. Because the pistol was fabricated with nano-technology, it has no screws, bolts, or seams, being what appears to be solid metal and rubberized plastic. It looks like a large 50's style ray gun. Unlike most of Brian's equipment, the ion pistol cannot morph due to the nature of its components: high energy batteries, capacitors, and reaction chambers.

Brian wears a reactive-cloth vac suit which, in its default setting, consists of a thin, grayish, skin-tight material made with nano-technology. It can disperse energy such as heat, radiation, or electricity, and when it is hit with a ballistic attack, it momentarily becomes harder than steel at the point of impact. When it needs to be sealed in dangerous environments, the material quickly extends itself over his hands, feet, and head (with a transparent face). The material of the suit can reconfigure itself to look like any suit of clothing that is programmed into its repertoire.

Built into the suit is a communications system that also acts as a teleport beacon, allowing him to be teleported back to his ship. Additionally, the suit is equipped with emergency gravitonic thrusters. They are intended for maneuvering in space, but can be used to fly slowly and sluggishly in a pinch.

800px-Wraith.jpg

Brian's starship is a Valeri scout ship designed for prolonged, unsupported excursions into the border areas. It is equipped with a cloaking device, a blaster cannon, and a short-range transporter. It is also fitted with a high-end sensor suite capable of detecting and analyzing a broad spectrum of energy emissions. The ship itself is compact and utilitarian-looking, dark gray and streamlined for atmospheric operation. It looks like the front end of a bullet train, cut off at about 120' long, with a bank of ion engines in the back. Due to its nano-tech construction, its outside surface has no seams, panels, or bolts, and is entirely smooth.

For his safety and to assist him in investigations on alien worlds, Brian is partnered with a small AI unit he has named "Hudson." Hudson, in his default state, is a gray block about 6" by 4" and 1/2" thick. However, due to its nano-tech construction, it can morph its appearance to look like any small mechanical device. It can morph itself manipulator arms if needed, but is very limited in its strength and manual dexterity. It is capable of linking to other computers, analyzing data quickly, advising Brian, and handling translation and communication. In Brian's civilian identity, Hudson is disguised as a smartphone.

History:

Brian Connors was born in 1841 in the Republic of Texas. His father was a rancher and he worked on his father's ranch until he turned 18 when he took work as a scout and eventually a Texas Ranger. After the Civil war, he moved farther west, to the New Mexico Territory, where he was appointed a federal marshal responsible for a handful of lands in present-day Arizona.

In 1871, he went to investigate reports of strange lights in the hills which turned out to be a scouting party of Gordar, a war-like alien race assessing Earth for possible future conquest. They captured Brian and took him to a mother ship. Brian managed to surprise and overcome the aliens, freed other enslaved aliens of various races and, with their assembled effort, escaped the Gordar in a stolen ship.

Two of the aliens in his ragtag group were of the Valeri race -- a peaceful civilization that fought constantly against Gordarian incursions. The group made its way to the Valeri homeworld where, as an honor for his bravery and service, (and, perhaps, to secure his continued usefulness), Brian was injected with nanities that would make him virtually immortal.

Unfortunately, the Valeri had no idea where Earth was and could not help Brian return home. Brian continued to serve the Valeri by patrolling the frontiers of their space, keeping the peace, and helping fend off the attacks of the Gordar, the Stellar Khanate, and various criminal elements.

About 50 years ago, the Valeri were incorporated into the Lor Republic and Brian continued working as frontier lawman, working in various sectors of the edges of Lor space. Recently, it was put together that the unknown, backwater world that Brian came from and the protectorate planet Earth was the same place. Brian could finally go home.

Brian was allowed to muster out of the patrol service and was only asked to continue to assist the Lor with Earth's "delicate situation" as he could on an informal basis. The Lor advised Brian to settle in the Freedom City area and to keep a low profile until he learned his way around better. Preferring a more direct approach, and seeing it as the only real way to get back to doing the only thing he'd ever done, he went straight to the local office of the US Marshal Service in the Freedom City Federal Building.

The Marshal's office verified, as best they could, that Brian was what he presented himself to be. But, this being a matter somewhat outside the Marshals' purview, Brian was referred to the 23rd floor -- the public offices of AEGIS. After much deliberation, it was decided that Brian would be enrolled provisionally as an AEGIS trainee. It was felt that, while Brian might be a tremendous asset, the gaps in his knowledge would have to be addressed before he could operate with the agency in a meaningful way.

Brian spent three months at the AEGIS base outside of Freedom City training and being evaluated. While there, his squad of trainees helped him put together a superhero identity as "The Marshal" after showing him how much people still glamorized the Old West in movies and TV shows. They also dubbed him with his official AEGIS codename: Cowpoke.

After the evaluations and basic training, it was clear where Brian's shortcomings were. As a result, he was recently given an undercover identity as Brian Stephens and enrolled as a part time student at FCU, where he is taking courses in criminal justice and remedial modern history.

Brian had always lived on the frontier, keeping the peace and fighting the good fight. Now he finds himself on the wildest frontier of his life.

Brian is motivated by a love of freedom and justice. He has always been fiercely independent, loving the wide open frontier. He has a strong sense of honor, and takes very seriously the oath he swore to defend the Constitution, even though he swore that oath over 150 years ago.

Brian tends towards extremes when spending his free time. He is comfortable around people, and can even be "the life of the party," but he also needs a lot more solitude than most and frequently takes long trips into space or the wilderness. He also chases new experiences and relishes luxury. Since his living expenses are minimal, he blows most of his money lavishly on gambling, fine foods, expensive hotels, and touring exotic locations.

Though he's not very "book-smart," Brian is cunning, resourceful, and tenacious. He has an indominable spirit, or "grit," as his father would put it. He excels at "thinking outside the box" and solving problems by intuition and instinct.

While Brian understands a much broader spectrum of technology than modern Americans, he lacks the vocabulary to describe it in English, since it all came about after his time. As a result, he speaks in an odd mixture of 1870's colloquial English and occasional alien jargon. He speaks with a strong West Texas accent. He doesn't even know the common words for his own equipment. For example, he refers to his sidearm as a "lightning pistol."

He is well mannered -- a true southern gentlemen, even though raised on the frontier, thanks to his mother's training. He has a friendly smile and is self effacing. Over scores of years of helping fringe world aliens defend their homes and fighting criminals and petty tyrants, he has learned to value friendship and social niceties.

He avoids combat when possible, preferring peaceful solutions. He's seen too often what can go wrong in a fight. But, when push comes to shove, he tries to end his fights quickly and efficiently.

Hudson's Personality and Motivations

Hudson's base programming is to operate as a partner to Brian in the enforcement of frontier law. He takes this job seriously. While he understands he is a "junior" partner, and is to assist and follow Brian's lead in general, he considers himself a partner nonetheless and will push back if his opinions are disregarded.

Hudson's primary role in frontier space was as a translator. When speaking to someone, he attempts to match their accents and speech patterns. While that works fairly well translating one language to another, it can be annoying among a group speaking the same language. Because he's socially inept, he can come across as mocking or, at least, annoying.

He is fascinated by people and likes to "make friends." He can get peevish if he's not allowed to talk to people enough.

Powers & Tactics:

Outside of the Marshal's shiny toys, his greatest asset is his experience and strong will. He is highly observant, creative and resourceful. He is most skilled in investigating crimes and resolving disputes -- skills that have been honed from over a century and a half of frontier peace-keeping.

He uses his social skills to try to resolve situations without combat. When that fails, he uses feints and misdirection when possible to maximize his advantage and land powerful stunning attacks with his sidearm.

His primary attack is the ion pistol, which has three modes of operation: a damaging blast, an electrical stun, and an EMP that can disable most technological devices for as long as its beam is trained on them. He doesn't use the damaging attack unless he is targeting a construct of some kind or as last resort.

Hudson has been his partner and only backup for many years. Brian often has it performing overwatch and online research. When communicating with Hudson, he often uses the Valeri language. It is Hudson's "native" language and is the only way they can covey technical information.

Complications:

Out of Touch: Upon his arrival in Freedom City, Brian had had no exposure to popular culture and the events of the past 140 years, so there are many details he doesn't know. He is good at compensating, and he may fill in the major blanks quickly, but he'd never win a pop-culture trivia contest.

A Man of Honor: He keeps his word, pays his debts, and will not cheat or steal. He will lie, though not to defraud. He will not stand for injustice or evil. He strongly believes in the principles of the Declaration of Independence.

Livin' Large: He has always believed in living with gusto, but over 150 years of living has jaded him to the point he is only really satisfied by extremes. On his weekends, he could easily be gambling in Monaco, visiting ancient ruins, dining in Paris, or relaxing on one of Jupiter's moons.

Alien Technology: Brian is very skilled in using the technology he has, and has a working understanding of its operation, but he doesn't fully understand it. It may have a number of "features" he is as yet unaware of.

Government Agent: While he is not currently fully sanctioned by AEGIS, he does have to "go by the rules." He is also subject to be called upon for training or an assignment under supervision.

Owes the Lor Republic and the Valeri: He may be called upon from time to time to assist the Lor or the Valeri. He will not act in any way against the interests of the U.S. or his conscience, but still could be easily and seriously inconvenienced.

Secret Identity: Technically, "Brian Stephens" is just a cover identity, but since his real identity has no birth certificate, credit, high school records, and such, it is pretty important that he maintains it.

College Student: Brian's studies at FCU are not just part of his cover. Rather, his cover identity was created so that he could study and learn what he needs to know. AEGIS has no major training facilities of its own, so civilian college courses were seen as the most efficient solution to Brian's huge gaps in common knowledge and lack of experience with current law enforcement procedure. If he does poorly in his classes, it will severely affect his standing with AEGIS.

The Odd Couple: Brian and Hudson have worked together for many years, but Hudson's eccentricities do cause a problem from time to time. He has a strong urge to make friends, and can get cloying. Also, he takes his role as a partner very seriously, possibly even disregarding orders if he feels Brian's safety, or closing a case, is at stake.

Attack: +5 Melee, +7 Ranged, +13 Ion Pistol

Saving Throws: 5 + 5 + 4 = 14PP

Will: +10 (+6 Wis, +4)

Skills: 80R = 20PP

Bluff 12 (+15)Skill Mastery

Diplomacy 7 (+10)

Gather Info 12 (+15)Skill Mastery

Handle Animal 1 (+4)

Intimidation 7 (+10)

Investigate 9 (+10)Skill Mastery

Notice 9 (+15)

Ride 1 (+2)

Search 9 (+10)

Sense Motive 9 (+15)Skill Mastery

Survival 1 (+7)

Feats: 26PP

Attack Focus 2 (Ranged)

Benefit: Can access inventions from ship. (Only "standard" Lor devices)

Defensive Attack

Dodge Focus 4

Equipment 5 (25ep)

Improved Initiative

Luck 2

Minion 5 ("Hudson")

Power Attack

Quick Draw

Toughness 10 [1ep]

Size: Medium[1ep]

Features: Communications, Computer, Crew, Holding Cell (Nullify 10), Interrogation Room, Isolated, Lab, Library, Living Quarters, Power System, Security System, Self-Repairing, Teleport Anchor, Workshop

Powers

Blast 10 (Blaster Cannon)

Space Flight 10 (Warp Drive)

Super Senses 10 Radar (Radio), Acute, Extended 6 (~2,000 mile increment) (Sensor Array)

Super Senses 10 Detect EM Energy (Radio), Accurate, Acute, Extended 4 (~20 mile increment) (Sensor Array)

Teleport 7 (200 mile range; Extras: Accurate, Affects Others (+0); Flaws: Long-Range; Feats: Change Direction, Change Velocity) (Transporter)

Abilities: Str 1, Dex 2, Con -, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 4 [-27pp]

Attack +4 (Size), Defense +4 (Size), Toughness 6 (Shrinking -4, Protection 10)

Skills 40pts [10pp]: Computers 12 (+15), Disguise 4 (+11), Knowledge (Civics) 8 (+11), Notice 5 (+5), Search 7 (+10), Stealth 4 (+13)

Datalink 2 [2pp]

Flight 3 [6pp]

Morph 2 (Machines) [4pp]

Protection 10 [10pp]

Shrinking 12 (Feat: Innate; Flaw: Permanent) (Size: diminutive) [7pp]

Super-Senses 4 (Extended (Vision -1/100'), Extended (Hearing -1/100'), Radio, Time Sense) [6pp]

Powers: 15 + 20 + 5 = 40PP

Device 5 (Ion Pistol; Technological, Electric; 25pp Container; Flaws: Easy to Lose) [15pp]

• Ion Pistol 10.5 (21 point array)Feats: Accuracy 2, Alternate Power 2) [25pp]
Base Power: Blast 7 (Extras: Penetrating 7)
Alternate Power: Nullify 7 (All Technological) (Extras: Duration - Concentration; Complication: power is cut off if line-of-sight to target is lost)
Alternate Power: Stun 7 (Extras: Range - Normal)

Device 5 (Reactive-Cloth Vac Suit; 25dp Container; Flaws: Hard to Lose)[20pp]

• Com Unit 3.5 (7pt array) (Feats: Alternative Power) [8dp]
Base Power: Communication 7 (200 mile range) (Radio)
Alternative Power: Teleport 7 (200 miles) (Flaws: Anchor (Starship), Long-Range; Feats: Change Velocity, Change Direction)

Flight 1 (Flaw: Distracting) [1dp]
Immunity 7 (Heat, Cold, Pressure, Radiation, Suffocation (all), Vacuum)[7dp]
Power Feat: Quick Change 2 [2dp]
Protection 7 [7dp]

Nanite Injection (5pp Container) [5pp]

DC Block

Blast       700'      DC22 Toughness (Staged)     Damage (Energy)

Stun        700'      DC17 Fort                   Daze / Stun

Nullify     700'      DC17 Reflex / Power         Tech Powers Nullified

Totals: Abilities (28) + Combat (22) + Saving Throws (14) + Skills (20) + Feats (26) + Powers (40) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points