Question(s) on Variable/Gadgets

I know Variable Powers tend to get axed here, and Gadgets has never been approved. However, one thing I'd eventually like Doktor Archeville to have are a set of ultra-tech goggles/a tricorder-like thing, which seems like it could most easily be done via a Variable power.*

Normally, a Hard to Lose Gadget costs 7pp/rank. But, that's the "any combination of traits" level of Variable Power (8pp/rank), with -1 for being a Hard to Lose Device.

Reducing it to "multiple traits of a particular type (powers of a particular type or descriptor)" -- in this case the Sensory type -- would reduce it from 8pp/rank to 6pp/rank (and to 5pp/rank for being a Hard to Lose Device, or 4pp/rank for being an Easy to Lose one).

However, "Sensory Powers" covers quite a bit: Communication, Comprehend, Concealment, Confuse, Dazzle, Emotion Control, ESP, Illusion, Mind Control, Mind Reading, Obscure, and Super-Senses. However, all but two of those -- Comprehend and Super-Senses -- are active powers, so I'm thinking that limiting it further to "only passive Sensory powers" would be worth another -1/rank, bringing the cost of the Omni-Goggles to 4pp/rank (or 3pp/rank for the easy-to-lose Tricorder model). (Comprehend function puts subtitles for everyone's speech as text at the bottom of the screen, like subbed anime ;) )

Does the math look right on this? More importantly, would something like this be allowed?

* There's actually one other form of Gadgets I'm hoping Doc can get someday, for the HQ he eventually makes. HQs can have powers, so I got to thinking that Gadgets would be the perfect way to represent the dozens of experimental and half-finished devices he'd have lying around his HQ (especially in his laboratory). Since they'd be bought via the HQ feature, they'd have one big built-in flaw: they can only be used while actually inside the HQ, a situation I'd predict wouldn't come up in most adventures. Would something like this be allowed?

I know Variable Powers tend to get axed here, and Gadgets has never been approved. However, one thing I'd eventually like Doktor Archeville to have are a set of ultra-tech goggles/a tricorder-like thing, which seems like it could most easily be done via a Variable power.*

Normally, a Hard to Lose Gadget costs 7pp/rank. But, that's the "any combination of traits" level of Variable Power (8pp/rank), with -1 for being a Hard to Lose Device.

Reducing it to "multiple traits of a particular type (powers of a particular type or descriptor)" -- in this case the Sensory type -- would reduce it from 8pp/rank to 6pp/rank (and to 5pp/rank for being a Hard to Lose Device, or 4pp/rank for being an Easy to Lose one).

However, "Sensory Powers" covers quite a bit: Communication, Comprehend, Concealment, Confuse, Dazzle, Emotion Control, ESP, Illusion, Mind Control, Mind Reading, Obscure, and Super-Senses. However, all but two of those -- Comprehend and Super-Senses -- are active powers, so I'm thinking that limiting it further to "only passive Sensory powers" would be worth another -1/rank, bringing the cost of the Omni-Goggles to 4pp/rank (or 3pp/rank for the easy-to-lose Tricorder model). (Comprehend function puts subtitles for everyone's speech as text at the bottom of the screen, like subbed anime ;) )

Does the math look right on this? More importantly, would something like this be allowed?

* There's actually one other form of Gadgets I'm hoping Doc can get someday, for the HQ he eventually makes. HQs can have powers, so I got to thinking that Gadgets would be the perfect way to represent the dozens of experimental and half-finished devices he'd have lying around his HQ (especially in his laboratory). Since they'd be bought via the HQ feature, they'd have one big built-in flaw: they can only be used while actually inside the HQ, a situation I'd predict wouldn't come up in most adventures. Would something like this be allowed?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry that this went unanswered for so long. I could blame it on my fever last week, but the truth is I probably just accidentally marked this forum "read" and never looked back. :cry:

The answer to your question is simple and is posted in our Game Rules thread:

The Refs will not approve "from scratch" variable arrays, but will consider the use of pre-constructed variable arrays in UP (Shapeshift, Adaptation, etc.) on a case-by-case basis.

So, no. Sorry.

As for your math . . . if this were my personal game and I was inclined to allow variable arrays (which I'm typically not), I certainly would not allow you to take "sensory" as your descriptor for the 6 PP version of the Variable Structure and then whittle it down to a 3 PP/rank device. I may allow "passive sensory powers" or "High-Tech Sensor Array Type Stuff" for the 6 PP version though. That makes Variable around a +3 extra (if you account for the standard action to reconfigure and don't account for the freebie alt powers you don't have to buy). That's about where I like it.

I'm sorry that this went unanswered for so long. I could blame it on my fever last week, but the truth is I probably just accidentally marked this forum "read" and never looked back. :cry:

The answer to your question is simple and is posted in our Game Rules thread:

The Refs will not approve "from scratch" variable arrays, but will consider the use of pre-constructed variable arrays in UP (Shapeshift, Adaptation, etc.) on a case-by-case basis.

So, no. Sorry.

As for your math . . . if this were my personal game and I was inclined to allow variable arrays (which I'm typically not), I certainly would not allow you to take "sensory" as your descriptor for the 6 PP version of the Variable Structure and then whittle it down to a 3 PP/rank device. I may allow "passive sensory powers" or "High-Tech Sensor Array Type Stuff" for the 6 PP version though. That makes Variable around a +3 extra (if you account for the standard action to reconfigure and don't account for the freebie alt powers you don't have to buy). That's about where I like it.

Pooh. :( It so in-genre, too. And so limited (can only be used in the HQ); I'd think that would alleviate a good deal of the trepidation. May I ask what concerns still exist?

The gadget power isn't in-genre any more than any other system component is (or isn't). What effect you are trying to "build" may be in-genre, but you can accomplish what you want to accomplish without any Variable arrays at all . . . by using extra effort and/or HPs to Alt Power a limited version of whatever you might need from an existing Device power that you bought.

Pooh. :( It so in-genre, too. And so limited (can only be used in the HQ); I'd think that would alleviate a good deal of the trepidation. May I ask what concerns still exist?

The gadget power isn't in-genre any more than any other system component is (or isn't). What effect you are trying to "build" may be in-genre, but you can accomplish what you want to accomplish without any Variable arrays at all . . . by using extra effort and/or HPs to Alt Power a limited version of whatever you might need from an existing Device power that you bought.

That's what I meant, the overall effect -- a Tech-Head having lots of tech laying around their laboratory-home (or a wizard having lots of artifacts lying around his tower).

The only problem I see with the option you present is that, if the "lots of tech lying around Doc's house" is done by just doing power stunts off his existing Devices, he's going to be somewhat limited (how limited being up for debate) in what he can have since an alt power must be thematically tied to the base power. For example, under his current build, he could never have a "healing chamber" in his home, nor a "tangleweb gun" that fires sticky nets, because none of his existing Devices (Electromagnetic Screwdriver, Gravimetric Belt, and Lab Coat) can/should have Healing or sticky net-based Snare as an alternate power.

Or would an ability to stunt off nearly any effect from existing Devices while in a laboratory- and workshop-equipped HQ be a perk of having such an HQ? Or, if not an inherent perk, something that could be bought (as a Feature)?

That's what I meant, the overall effect -- a Tech-Head having lots of tech laying around their laboratory-home (or a wizard having lots of artifacts lying around his tower).

The only problem I see with the option you present is that, if the "lots of tech lying around Doc's house" is done by just doing power stunts off his existing Devices, he's going to be somewhat limited (how limited being up for debate) in what he can have since an alt power must be thematically tied to the base power. For example, under his current build, he could never have a "healing chamber" in his home, nor a "tangleweb gun" that fires sticky nets, because none of his existing Devices (Electromagnetic Screwdriver, Gravimetric Belt, and Lab Coat) can/should have Healing or sticky net-based Snare as an alternate power.

Or would an ability to stunt off nearly any effect from existing Devices while in a laboratory- and workshop-equipped HQ be a perk of having such an HQ? Or, if not an inherent perk, something that could be bought (as a Feature)?

The only problem I see with the option you present is that . . .

It is not a perfect solution, though I do think some of those examples you give would be a good use of a HP if the circumstances were right. In our estimation, however, it is a better solution than allowing Variable arrays into a game like this.

The only problem I see with the option you present is that . . .

It is not a perfect solution, though I do think some of those examples you give would be a good use of a HP if the circumstances were right. In our estimation, however, it is a better solution than allowing Variable arrays into a game like this.