"Yeah, gimme one sec," Erik told Mara, stepping around to face the remaining swordsman while Chris cuffed the wrists placed accommodatingly behind his back. He'd let the fire of his elemental sword die out and worked through the pains on the battle with crack of his neck and a roll of his bare shoulders. His posture said that the fight was over but the cold, steely look in his eyes was a far cry from the usual wry confidence his teammates were used to.

Before he could say anything, the battered but thinly smiling Dakanan interjected, "I'll save us some time, cousin: you needn't warn me of the consequences should we pay another unannounced visit. We only stopped by because your suitability to raise the child was in question but you've certainly laid any doubts as to your capabilities to rest." The bald man attempted something like a sardonic tone but the look he cast toward the unconscious red haired highlander cut through the shroud of humour. "There's a good chance the girl will be the next Jack after aough!"

His explanation was cut short as Erik delivered a merciless punch to his stomach, doubling the man over momentarily. "Don't let them anywhere near their swords," the fencer reminded Geckoman flatly, "and keep an eye on the witchy woman." Looking to the two women as well he added more quietly, "Thanks, guys." With that, he was sprinting back inside the house and toward the bedroom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ellie heaved a silent sigh of relief as Erik bounded past Gina and Yolanda and back into the bedroom, skidding to a stop beside the bed as his ingrained acrobatic grace just barely compensated for his reckless momentum. With the spell keeping their powers subdued dealt with the metamagi healer had gathered a soothing blue light around one hand but hadn't yet stepped in to apply its effects, sorely tempted though she had been. They'd agreed beforehand that considering the... unusual nature of the pregnancy, it was probably best to avoid introducing another source of supernatural energy unless there was an emergency. Fortunately, the stressed but still composed young woman's mundane skills and knowledge had so far been up to the task. "Well...?"

"We're good," her brother assured her, crouching back down next to Willow and enfolding the dryad's hand in both of his own. "Admittedly I probably can't give you a hard time about your crazy relatives any more, belleza," he told her with a faint smile before briefly glancing up as Ellie. "Also, your girlfriend set some guys on fire, it was pretty great. She's a keeper." Turning back to the white haired guardian, Erik tried to cover concern with a hasty grin. "So how's your day been?"

Geckoman held the doubled over swordsman up by the handcuff loop, and leant down to speak to him. "You know, that was not the smartest thing I ever heard someone say. Let's play a fun game of shut the fark up." He slapped the man's cheek roughly with one palm before ceremoniously dumping him to the ground.

"Alright, people, I want a simple handcuff and drop here," he pronounced. "Maybe stack their swords just out of reach? I dunno, I haven't really dealt with many swords before. Apart from this one time... hell, it's always Jack. He was there that time too."

Geckoman spun and prodded one fallen swordsman with his foot. "Also," he stated dramatically, pointing at Dragonfly. "Ohmygod, that thing with the wings, and the disappearing sword, and the shooting things from the hand! So cool! How does it work? Is it a particulate thing, or do you just pour enough energy into things until stuff happens?"

pour energy into - what? Dragonfly wasn't entirely sure whether she was supposed to be insulted or complimented, and hesitated a moment before deciding she should probably err toward the latter. [bg=#555555]"Mmh - spatial manipulation. Bend and twist space to do...things. Lots of science. Fun to build. Wings were difficult. In theory could dump energy until 'stuff happened', but would probably tear a hole in reality. Not really an improvement on idiots with swords. Probably not good for newborns."[/bg]

She glanced back at the somewhat singed lawn, and visibly cringed. [bg=#555555]"Not...as good without the suit. Had to improvise. ....owe Gina a new pressure cooker. Pretty sure I can repair the inside of the stove, though."[/bg]

• 2 weeks later...

From the time she had spent with and around the dryad, Ellie knew that Willow wasn't typically one for worry; the ancient guardian typically tackled problems and uncertainty in a very practical, often pragmatic, manner. Which meant metamagical medic was able to tell that her white-haired ward was troubled with, and distracted by, the problems occurring beyond the walls of the bedroom. Willow knew that Ellie knew she was worried for Erik, for the others, and that she was irrationally upset at being unable to face whatever danger was outside.

Seeing Erik alive and well allowed Willow to more easily focus on the task at hand; and a short while later a physically (and somewhat emotionally) exhausted Willow was cradling a new bundle of life in her arms. "Our daughter," Willow murmured, a note of pride in her voice.

Erik crouched next to the bed with one arm around Willow's shoulders and the other around her arms and the tiny person she was holding. "Dios, she is, too," he managed in reply, more than a little dumbfounded as he looked down at the child staring up at him with dark green eyes flecked with amber, blinking and yawning. A few, thin wisps of dusty brown hair lay above faintly pointed ears and the subtlest hint of angular features behind her round baby face. "Hey, gorgeous," the fencer whispered with a lopsided grin, extending a finger for the infant to grab reflexively with one hand. "Ha, nice grip you got there." With a small noise, the baby let go and closed her eyes, exhausted. After a long moment of quiet, Erik spoke up again, "Hey, Will, what do you think about 'Eden'? For a name, I mean."

The rest of the world ceased to exist for the time being as Willow rested comfortably in the bed, a satisfied half-smile on her face as she watched father and daughter greet each other for the first time. She shifted a little to give Erik an uncharacteristically gentle kiss on the cheek as he put his arms around her and the newborn.

Erik's question pulled her out of her reverie, and she made a thoughtful sound. "I like it," Willow said after giving it a moments thought. "What made you think of it?" she continued with a curious note in her voice.

"It was the name of a garden," Erik explained, looking away from the newborn to meet the dryad's eyes with a tired smile, brushing the white hair from her face. "The first garden, I guess. A perfect, beautiful place. Seems to fit." There was a brief pause before his grin widened and he sheepishly admitted, "Plus it starts with an 'E'." The swordsman looked back to his sleeping daughter, his expression turning quietly thoughtful, a strange look on the outgoing hero. "Names are important, I think."

"It feels right," Willow said, lightly brushing her daughters hair. "Eden," she repeated getting a feel for the way it sounded, "Is a good name. The right name." The dryad got quiet for a moment, a far away look in her amber eyes as though she were considering something important.

"I've been thinking about a name for myself like what you and Eliza and the others have," she said after a moment. "There is a certain wisdom to separating the two halves of ours lives as it provides a layer of protection between the dangerous existence we choose for ourselves and for our loved ones."

"Minerva. Minerva Salix," the ancient guardian said after a brief pause. "Minerva, the original that is, was always kind to me and wisdom was her purview. And Salix... because even behind my civilian guise I would still be Willow."

• 2 weeks later...

Erik blinked a few times before responding, his ability to quickly respond to the new and unexpected having been overextended for the day. "Min and Mini, huh?" he chuckled tiredly, looking from the dryad to the newborn in turn. "I like it. And you know... there's a lot of 'normal people' stuff we've never really gotten around to. I know we kinda did things out of order but you maybe want to go out some time? Dinner, movie, maybe some dancing..." The fencer couldn't quite keep a straight face as he asked, nose crinkling and smile tilting to one side.

Meanwhile, his sister had quietly excused herself once she was sure the infant was stable and made her way to those waiting outside. "They're busy being mortifyingly mushy in there, but it's a healthy baby girl! Sounds like they're calling her Eden."