Despite the situation, Erin smiled just a little at Trevor's black humor. "Yeah, I guess it would've been even worse down in your sub-sub-subbasement getting an exam. For me, and for your house." She looked up as another police siren went off, one more note in the symphony of emergency noises tonight. "And at least this way I can still help. If I'm really, really careful where I walk." Her voice was dubious, even a bit nervous, but tonight wasn't a night to let fears back her down. She extended her hand, palm-up, to the roof where Trevor stood, holding it flat like a platform. "You have better night vision than I do. You can probably get a pretty good view from up here."

Midnight gave her a slightly skeptical look from behind the ruby red goggles set in his featureless black mask, but nevertheless stepped forward and onto Wander's newly gargantuan hand. It was more than passingly odd to see lines he was so familiar with writ on so large a scale and he had to resist the urge to move his feet about when his subconscious realized what he was standing on without remembering the change in size.

Down below, Redbird quietly noted to herself, "Reconfiguring." As she did, both of the Night Cycle's wheels folded in upon themselves while simultaneously sputtering with deep red energy. In moments, the tires had been replaced with what appeared to be spheres of sanguine light which let out a sound like a flaring conflagration as they lifted the motorcycle into the air to hover alongside Wander's shoulder, patiently waiting.

Wander lifted Midnight carefully into the air, bringing him up close to her face both so that he could get a good look at the city and so she could get a closer look at him. He seemed so tiny, proportionately smaller than the Barbie dolls she'd played with as a child, and even more fragile than usual now that she was so impossibly outsized. What would happen to them if she stayed this size and couldn't go back? What would happen to her? Where would she go if it rained?

That train of thought was both fruitless and frightening, so she put it aside for the moment, merely cupping her palm slightly to ensure Trevor wasn't going to fall out. "Lots of air traffic tonight," she observed, watching as people zipped by, in or out of control, in the skies around her.

• 2 weeks later...

Midnight was slow to answer, consciously maintaining his trademark aplomb despite the taxing situation. If standing in Wander's now gigantic hand had been disconcerting, actually being next to her proportionally enlarged face was downright disorienting. The effect was compounded by how little the young man really wanted to dwell on the greater consequences of Erin's transformation; they simply didn't have time to fret over that yet and it wouldn't have resulted in anything productive anyway.

"Hn. Leave them to the fliers," he suggested finally, watching the crowded skyline. Even with Wander's new height, there were plenty of terrestrial concerns with which they could occupy themselves. As if to underscore that point, the sound of bending metal and crumbling stone came from behind them. One entire wall of the zoo's Lizard and Reptile House had been reduced to rubble and a good half dozen alligators, snakes and other scaled creatures the size of minivans clamoured out, hissing angrily. The rest of the structure soon followed as dark green, spine covered form erupted upward, the lizard growing first to comparable height to Erin herself, then even further until it towered over even her. A flick of its tail cracked the pavement of the pathway below as the monster focused on the only other moving thing large enough to draw its attention.

"I did not realize Earth fauna was so interesting," Redbird remarked curiously as the mutated beast and its smaller brethren charged.

"Ah, crap." Erin was used to dealing with bad guys and monsters who were twice her size or more, but usually that meant eleven feet, not a hundred-eleven feet. She was starting to get an odd feeling of vertigo from the height, but nothing that couldn't be shrugged aside. "It's not usually this weird," she told Redbird, then extended her hand to let Trevor board the motorcycle. "You go for the smaller ones," she told him, "I'll handle the big one." Hoping she wouldn't prove herself a liar, she stepped forward, putting Midnight and the bike behind her as the monster charged.

With no bat and no time for finesse, she drew back her arm and punched the giant lizard right in the abdomen, which seemed to knock the wind out of it at least. It was no pushover, though, and moments later returned a swipe at her that glanced off her shoulder and probably could've felled a building. "That's right," she told it, "keep looking this way." She resisted the urge to check how Midnight was doing with the others, trusting his skills to keep him safe, even on a night like this.

The great scaly beast gave a hissing roar at Wander's attack, the way it loomed over the heroine suggesting it was having much less trouble adapting to its new height. It was difficult to say if the lizard had originally been a crocodile like some of its truck-sized brethren or perhaps a gecko or snapping turtle. What it was now was clearly very large and very angry.

Showing an impressive amount of discretion for creatures so large, the relatively smaller animals lumbered away from the heavy footfall and raking claws of the larger combatants, making their way toward the zoo's gates. Midnight guided the floating Night Cycle downard to the ground in pursuit, the motorcycle's wheels reappearing just before it touched down on the pathway, Redbird reconfiguring its design and technology on the fly.

"Minimize injuries," Midnight instructed, rearing up on one wheel to hop the vehicle up onto a convenient ramp of rubble that had once been the corner of a souvenir shop. The concrete incline brought them up and over the rapidly crawling lizards and reptiles, ending in a screeching arc the turned them back around to face the horde. Simultaneously, a wide, slotted protrusion unfolded itself from the front of the Night Cycle, just in time to launch a sort of interlocking bola, a half dozen weighted magnets whipping about before crashing together and entangling the first escaped animal in steel alloy cables.

• 4 weeks later...

Wander ducked under the monster's attack, then weaved to avoid being hit by some light aircraft flying by. It was so fast she couldn't tell if it was a person or some sort of flying machine, but tonight anything was possible. She just didn't want it hitting her or getting stuck in her hair or something unpleasant like that. With a grunt of effort, she gave the kaiju another short-armed punch, trying to put it down without knocking it back into buildings or sending it toppling over. It roared, obviously hurt, but not enough.

For the first time, Wander began to wonder what was going to happen when this monster went down. She had to lure it away from the heavily populated area around the zoo. She looked around, trying to figure out the best way to lead it, and caught sight of Midnight handily dispatching most of the giant crocodiles. He was good. "How do I put this thing down without taking out a neighborhood?" she asked him quietly in a voice that boomed down to him.

Midnight wasn't able to respond immediately as the Night Cycle was beset by the remaining over-sized lizards and reptiles, the assorted scaly behemoths surrounding the motorcycle with worryingly pack-like efficiency. One took advantage of the harrying of its brethren to lay a nasty set of claws alongside the bike before being dissuaded by a swift booted foot to its snout. With a pneumatic sound, another set of steel cables whipped out to entangle the offending creature, fired not by the rider but the autonomic intelligence acting as co-pilot. "I cannot promise to minimize injuries," Redbird warned, her voice annoyed as it came from within the Night Cycle, "if they insist on damaging my paint."

"Noted," Midnight acknowledged, pulling out a compact cylinder of similar design to Wander's bat which extended into a full length staff with electricity crackling about both ends. Whirling the weapon in both hand without dismounting, the black-clad martial artist delivered powerful warning shocks to the mutated animals, knocking one out entirely and sending the remaining trio retreating back a few wary steps. Taking the moment to look upward, he called to the towering powerhouse,"Waterfront?"