Sidekick / Minion for Supercape

Supercape

OK, so I have been wracking my brains about this one, so all thoughts gratefully received.

I am finding Supercape, as a character, "not bad" - he is quite interesting, but I think he needs something character development wise to stop him sagging a bit.

I have had various thoughts about this. None of them particularly satisfactory, but I think one thing he surely needs is an anchor, a relationship (in a romantic sense). A rather cerebral relationship, perhaps.

Thats about the one thing I think he needs. Something more to care about, to stop him getting too "Doc Manhattan". And to make him more human.

The difficulty is how to do this?

About the only PC I could ever have seen him having a relationship with was Gossamer, now retired. So scratch that.

As Supercape is a bit of a planet hopper, I was considering an alien scientist. Something like a Dejah Thoris Expy. But with clothes. And toned down. But the idea is kind of appealing as "alien princess" type fits with SC's truly galactic travels.

Next thing I was thinking of was making her (yes, its a her - I think), a doctor / medical person. Someone equally intelligent but in a different field (kind of equal but complementary scientists).

So, if doing a relationship, how to do it? It's not quite a sidekick, its something like a minion...or is it even that?

I have kind of drummed up a PL 2-4 Range Minion for this purposes - non-combat (well, could probably hold her own against a couple of thugs, buts thats it), but really I want a little help in what to do here.

An idea occurs to me. Earth is, to the Lor, a sort of nature preserve, set aside from the universe because of superpowers. What if that's what the scientist is studying? A biologist/anthropologist who comes to Earth to study human civilization, superpowers, and how the two interact.

I think that's fertile idea-land, Raveled!

Ok, So I am basically thinking of a minion Scientist, A kind of galactic xeno-biologist. Someone who is SC's intellectual equal (or even superior?) but not a Superhero. Just very very good at what she does. Thats enough for some kind of buddy-romance thing.

Hmmm, come to think of it, she may not even have to be Lor...I'll think on that a bit. But the whole Lor Scientist on Earth is a nice idea.

Ok in lines with Raveled excellent thoughts, my next draft!

This is basically a Lor Xeno-biologist come to earth. I quite like the idea of a that particular kind of friendship relationship with Supercape that has "romantic overtones" without it ever quite reaching that, and play it from there (I'm sure there is a trope for that kind of relationship...)

Anyway this is first draft, any suggestions or comments well received. I haven't quite fleshed out the background yet. I thought she could double up as the Lab's medical attendant (they need one!).

Player Name: Supercape

Character Name: Doctor D

Power Level: 5 (120/120PP)

Trade-Offs: +1 Attack/-1 Damage

Unspent Power Points: 0

In Brief: Lor Xeno Biologist Studying Earth

Alternate Identity: Doctor Cera Jaye Dhee (‘CJ’)

Birthplace: Lor Starbase

Affiliations: Lor Republic, the Lab

Family: Patricia Drummond (Mother), Barnak Dhee (Father)

Description:

Apparent Age: 30-40

Ethnicity: Lor!

Height: 5’6â€

Weight: 55 Kgs

Eyes: Brown

Hair: Red-Brown

Power Descriptions:

Doctor D’s only “superpower†is a bionic device: An artificial right eye (that looks just like her other one). The device is connected to an advanced cybernetic system that gives her exceptional diagnostic capabilities – the ability to look at cells, take temperature readings, and have X-Ray vision.

History:

Personality & Motivation:

Doctor D is an explorer. She has worked for the Lor for many years, honing her academic and practical skills on many field trips as a xenobiologist. Given the Earth’s particular status, and her own half-terran heritage, her most recent placement is on Earth, in Freedom City. She has struck up a relationship (as friends with romantic overtones) with Supercape, a man with similar intellectual faculties and interests as herself, and well versed with hopping around the universe.

Powers & Tactics:

Doctor D is not a fighter, but a scientist. If forced into confrontation, she will normally use her sedative ‘gun’ (Which is actually not a projectile weapon, but an advanced hypodermic syringe) as a non-lethal method of subdual. If out on the field she might wear her armoured exploration costume, but normally she will be in civilian or laboratory clothes. Her best defence is her skill with words.

Abilities: 0 + 4 + 4 + 10 + 10 + 6 = 34PP

Strength: 10 (+0)

Dexterity: 14 (+2)

Constitution: 14 (+2)

Intelligence: 20 (+5)

Wisdom: 20 (+5)

Charisma: 16 (+3)

Combat: 10 + 12 = 22PP

Initiative: +2

Attack: +5 Melee, +7 Hypodermic

Grapple: +5

Defense: +6 (+6 Base), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -3, -1 Unarmoured

Saving Throws: 2 + 2 + 3 = 7PP

Toughness: +6 (+2 Con, +4 Armoured Suit)

Fortitude: +4 (+2 Con, +2)

Reflex: +4 (+2 Dex, +2)

Will: +8 (+5 Wis, +3)

Skills: 98R = 25PP

Bluff 7 (+10)

Craft (Chemical) 5 (+10)

Diplomacy 7 (+10)

Handle Animal 7 (+10)

Knowledge (Galactic) 5 (+10)

Knowledge (Behaviour Sciences) 5 (+10)

Knowledge (Earth Sciences) 5 (+10)

Knowledge (History) 5 (+10)

Knowledge (Life Sciences) 10 (+15)

Languages 4 (Lor [Native], English, French, Spanish)

Medicine 10 (+15)

Notice 5 (+10)

Search 5 (+10)

Sense Motive 5 (+10)

Stealth 8 (+10)

Survival 5 (+10)

Feats: 18PP

Animal Empathy

Attack Specialization 1 (Hypodermic Gun)

Attractive

Benefit 1 (Extraterrestrial Culture: Lor)

Distract (Bluff)

Equipment 4

Fascinate (Bluff)

Jack of All Trades

Second Chance (Bluff)

Skill Mastery 1 (Medicine, Survival, Animal Handling, Diplomacy)

Taunt

Teamwork 3

Track

Equipment [20 EP]

Armoured Exploration Suit (Protection 4) [4EP]

Hypodermic ‘Gun’ (Fatigue 5, Extras: Poison, Sleep) [15EP]

Masterwork Medical Kit [1EP]

Powers: 14= 14PP

Super senses 14 (Analytical [All Vision], Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Extended 1 [All Vision], Infravision, Microscopic Vision 2, Radio, Time Sense, X-Ray Vision) [14PP] Cybernetic Implant (Diagnostic Eye)

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

DC Block

(see below)

Totals: Abilities (34) + Combat (22) + Saving Throws (7) + Skills (25) + Feats (18) + Powers (14) - Drawbacks (0) = 120/120 Power Points

Incidentally, this is pic I had in mind for her.

sci-fi-concept-art.jpg

Discussing with Dok in chat, I am somewhat stuck here. Because I am (like others) concerned about controlling a possible romantic partner as well as the PC. However, I think my solution is this: Firstly, as a minion, technically the character is not under my control. Secondly, Supercape being an intellectual, this is an intellectual relationship. I struggle to encapsulate this fully, but it is something like the "Moonlighting" relationship (i.e. nothing actually happens...) on the background of CSI.

I don't think being part of Lor culture would require a Benefit, nor is there really a Know/Galactic; there are a few Reputation tables that mention that only a person who has exposure to the greater galaxy would know something, but that's about it.

You might want to buy her a Comprehend power/Device instead of having her learn several Earth languages. Similarly, I would separate the S-Senses into Visual, Auditory, Radar, et cetera; IMO it makes it easier for a GM to see it all at a glance.

Medicine +15 with Skill Mastery makes her equivalent to a neurosurgeon. Keep that in mind.

I don't know if the hypodermic gun and suit will be allowable as Equipment. They're pretty powerful in that regard.

I don't think there's an inherent problem with a single player controlling both PC and romantic interest, but if you're really worried talk to KD. He controls both Sonja and Gabriel, after all.

I don't think being part of Lor culture would require a Benefit, nor is there really a Know/Galactic; there are a few Reputation tables that mention that only a person who has exposure to the greater galaxy would know something, but that's about it.

Coming Soooooon! [TM]

Other points noted, I will take a look. Personally I havent got a huge problem with Hypodermic Gun as Fatigue 5: Regular equipment allows up to Stun 7 for a stun rod, and analgesic guns are pretty "doable" even today. But Equipment is one of those difficult grey areas. Similarly, Armoured Jumpsuit (a core book power) is +3 Toughness, and some equipment like Plate Mail is +6. Equpiment comes with lots of problems, like being destroyed very easily, and taken away with impunity.

A comprehend device sounds a good idea!