Help With HQs!

Seeing as I don't think I'm going to find it within myself to maintain a 3rd character for a while, as much as I've been struggling just to feed 2...

I've got a Silver Reward that can equal 15PP for Equipment.

As shown in this thread, a few Power Points can go a long way toward making a good Headquarters.

Here's the thing; I've never been able to wrap my head around making an HQ in M&M 2e. :( Something has yet to "click" on it. So I'm asking for help, as much as people are willing to give me.

So, here are my ideas. The above thread makes me think I can do a lot with 4-5pp if I'm not trying for anything really fancy..

1.)Underground Base for Cobalt Templar. This one's being planned out a bit in Vault Construction 101 right now (though that's about to get interrupted!).

Key Features:

*Underground

*Out in the forests away from the city proper

*Very hard to get into if you're not invited; defenses mundane and mystical. A mix of natural defense (inside a giant mound of granite that's masquerading as an average hill), technological defense (structural reinforcements and such), and magical defenses (wards and the like).

*Internal defenses (still being worked out in the thread, but probably stuff like sonic emitters, restraints, that sort of thing)

*A doubly-secure vault in the middle of the whole complex

*Living quarters for maybe a half-dozen people

*Space to hold maybe a half-dozen people for a day or two as detainees

*Maybe a bit of training space?

I'm open to other suggestions, but this hits the high points. It's not intended as a full-time living space necessarily, at least not for now. Maybe one day he'll build a house next to it or something though. :P

2.)HQ for Gabriel. I'm communicating with Electra about this, but it may well be housed on Sanctuary. Possibly built with aid of Gaian Knight among others. Big thing, in-character, is that even if GK did all the rock-moving I'm not totally sure how to get, well, much of anything else.

Visual inspiration, though perhaps not totally to scale.

Notes:

*Contemplation states it may be best if this is a sort of "staged" development, where he works to build it up in stages. Maybe a more modest monastery/home that ends up growing to a fortress-monastery that sits on a large hill and may have a small town attached.

*I'm not actually sure what features might be good here; I guess it would need some to represent it being on another Earth entirely (he's going to have Dimensional Travel on his spear, so no worries about getting back and forth). But otherwise I don't know.

*Part of me thinks staffing would be interesting, but again resources come into play as an in-character limitation. Between Sanctuary's low population and Carson Keefe's not-groundbreaking income...

3.)A 2nd HQ for Corbin. While the other one is a sort of vault/"fallback point", this one would be more of an observation/warning system/forward operating base. Which, considering right now I have no idea what he's doing after graduation...yeah.

Notes:

*It is not the size of New Oa; this is much much smaller. At least for a good long while. I don't foresee its initial form to be bigger than perhaps one or two Claremont buildings, not even the whole campus. Maybe if he ends up on some totally new superteam or something that's in need of a base we could shift things around.

*Living quarters for sure.

*Maybe it has some means of teleporting people up to it.

*Security systems.

*Lots of sensor-type stuff, surveillance, news feeds, translator programs, that sort of stuff.

*No holding cells here.

*Tough, hard to hurt, but probably no actual weapon systems for a while.

*Likely not just a "hard light construct". Perhaps he has help making it, or he finds something adrift somewhere and brings it back, using his ring to "kick-start" it or something?

*Not so sure about giving it an Artificial Intelligence, but maybe a Virtual Intelligence?

*Again, open to suggestions on general features here.

So yeah. Lots of basic ideas, nothing concrete yet. Ideally I'd only have to dip into my Silver reward. Worst case, Gabriel has more free PP than CT, so reward PP would go to CT first then Gabe if there was room. I'd have to see how the math worked out.

I know a thing or two about HQs, so let me see what advice I can give:

1.)Underground Base for Cobalt Templar. This one's being planned out a bit in Vault Construction 101 right now (though that's about to get interrupted!).

Key Features:

*Underground

*Out in the forests away from the city proper

*Very hard to get into if you're not invited; defenses mundane and mystical. A mix of natural defense (inside a giant mound of granite that's masquerading as an average hill), technological defense (structural reinforcements and such), and magical defenses (wards and the like).

*Internal defenses (still being worked out in the thread, but probably stuff like sonic emitters, restraints, that sort of thing)

*A doubly-secure vault in the middle of the whole complex

*Living quarters for maybe a half-dozen people

*Space to hold maybe a half-dozen people for a day or two as detainees

*Maybe a bit of training space?

I'm open to other suggestions, but this hits the high points. It's not intended as a full-time living space necessarily, at least not for now. Maybe one day he'll build a house next to it or something though. :P

* “Underground” & “Out in the Forests” both say Concealed (hidden from the outside world, difficult to fin) and possibly Isolated (difficult to reach).

* “Very hard to get into” would be Security System.

* Defenses (both external and internal) would be the Defense System feature. With that, you build an Attack effect on up to (2 x PL) points, and its attack bonus equals your PL. Blast at your PL is the most common, but by lowering the rank you could free up points to add things like Variable Descriptor or such. You could also do other Attack effects, like Snare, or Ranged Paralyze, or whatever.

* “Doubly secure vault” could be the Holding Cell feature (using the “increased toughness” option). You could potentially also do it as a secondary, smaller HQ within the main one, with higher Toughness and Security System than the main HQ, though since both HQs would need to be accessible simultaneously you could not put them in an Array, you’d have to have both ‘active’ at a time.

* Living quarters would be... Living Space.

* Holding folks as detainees would be holding Cell.

* Training space would be the Combat Simulator feature, and/or possibly the Gym feature.

2.)HQ for Gabriel. I'm communicating with Electra about this, but it may well be housed on Sanctuary. Possibly built with aid of Gaian Knight among others. Big thing, in-character, is that even if GK did all the rock-moving I'm not totally sure how to get, well, much of anything else.

Visual inspiration, though perhaps not totally to scale.

Notes:

*Contemplation states it may be best if this is a sort of "staged" development, where he works to build it up in stages. Maybe a more modest monastery/home that ends up growing to a fortress-monastery that sits on a large hill and may have a small town attached.

*I'm not actually sure what features might be good here; I guess it would need some to represent it being on another Earth entirely (he's going to have Dimensional Travel on his spear, so no worries about getting back and forth). But otherwise I don't know.

*Part of me thinks staffing would be interesting, but again resources come into play as an in-character limitation. Between Sanctuary's low population and Carson Keefe's not-groundbreaking income...

You can certainly increase the Size of an HQ as play progresses, so “growing” the fortification is no problem.

Isolated would be needed, for being on another dimension. Concealed would not be needed, since it seems rather obvious.

Even with the Spear, you may want to add Power (Super-Movement [Dimensional]) to the HQ, so you can get to/from it without the Spear.

One idea for Personnel: monks from Earth, seeking a new place for a monastery. Or, refugees from some other dimension YF has aided.

3.)A 2nd HQ for Corbin. While the other one is a sort of vault/"fallback point", this one would be more of an observation/warning system/forward operating base. Which, considering right now I have no idea what he's doing after graduation...yeah.

Perhaps unshockingly, Visual inspiration.

Notes:

*It is not the size of New Oa; this is much much smaller. At least for a good long while. I don't foresee its initial form to be bigger than perhaps one or two Claremont buildings, not even the whole campus. Maybe if he ends up on some totally new superteam or something that's in need of a base we could shift things around.

*Living quarters for sure.

*Maybe it has some means of teleporting people up to it.

*Security systems.

*Lots of sensor-type stuff, surveillance, news feeds, translator programs, that sort of stuff.

*No holding cells here.

*Tough, hard to hurt, but probably no actual weapon systems for a while.

*Likely not just a "hard light construct". Perhaps he has help making it, or he finds something adrift somewhere and brings it back, using his ring to "kick-start" it or something?

*Not so sure about giving it an Artificial Intelligence, but maybe a Virtual Intelligence?

*Again, open to suggestions on general features here.

For a VI, I’d go with some combination of Library (it’s a really good card catalog), Masterwork Library (I believe Scarab has it on her HQ), and Think-Tank (from Agents of Freedom). Could also be Personnel.

Surveillance & news feeds can be done with the Communications feature.

“Tough & hard to hurt” can be both a high Toughness and Power (Impervious Toughness).

Translators would be Power (Comprehend [Languages]); Sensors would be Power (Super-Senses).

Teleporter would be Power (Teleport), possibly with the Portal extra. Note that the Portal extra for HQ Teleporters is only a +1 Extra, since the power user (i.e., the HQ) can’t go with you.

I know a thing or two about HQs, so let me see what advice I can give:
Hooray! Advice from one of the Masters! :D

Anyways, I'm going to try breaking down what I understand about this and trying to price out your suggestions...

Well, that and buying the "base" features like size and toughness I guess.

* “Underground†& “Out in the Forests†both say Concealed (hidden from the outside world, difficult to fin) and possibly Isolated (difficult to reach).

* “Very hard to get into†would be Security System.

* Defenses (both external and internal) would be the Defense System feature. With that, you build an Attack effect on up to (2 x PL) points, and its attack bonus equals your PL. Blast at your PL is the most common, but by lowering the rank you could free up points to add things like Variable Descriptor or such. You could also do other Attack effects, like Snare, or Ranged Paralyze, or whatever.

* “Doubly secure vault†could be the Holding Cell feature (using the “increased toughness†option). You could potentially also do it as a secondary, smaller HQ within the main one, with higher Toughness and Security System than the main HQ, though since both HQs would need to be accessible simultaneously you could not put them in an Array, you’d have to have both ‘active’ at a time.

* Living quarters would be... Living Space.

* Holding folks as detainees would be holding Cell.

* Training space would be the Combat Simulator feature, and/or possibly the Gym feature.

Features: Costs

*I think we'll make it Large, to make it essentially a "cave complex": 2 EP

*This thing's buried pretty well, and will have reinforcement. Let's go with a +10 Toughness for the "Main Base": 1 EP

*Security System. DC 20 Disable Device: 1 EP

*Defense System (Paralyze 12, Attack Bonus +12 Targeted Shapeable Area, Flaw: Full-Round Action): 1EP (I think)

*Concealed: 1EP

*Isolated: 1EP

*Living Space: 1 EP

*Holding Cell (Extra Toughness): 1EP

*Gym: 1EP

*Power System: 1EP

**Vault: 2nd HQ:

***Fine Size: -3EP

***Toughness +20: +3EP

***Security System DC 35 Disable Device: 4EP

Total EP Cost (Vault's Size and Toughness Cancel out): 15 EP. Exactly 3PP.

You can certainly increase the Size of an HQ as play progresses, so “growing†the fortification is no problem.

Isolated would be needed, for being on another dimension. Concealed would not be needed, since it seems rather obvious.

Even with the Spear, you may want to add Power (Super-Movement [Dimensional]) to the HQ, so you can get to/from it without the Spear.

One idea for Personnel: monks from Earth, seeking a new place for a monastery. Or, refugees from some other dimension YF has aided.

Starting Features:

*Size: Huge: 3EP

*Toughness +10: 1EP

*Power (Super-Movement [Dimensional]) (Since if I'm adding monks they ought to be able to occasionally get supplies on their own; I'm not sure how much more detail needs to be added to this power to basically say "it's a portal"): 1EP (maybe? It'd be for Prime<->Sanctuary, nothing more)

*Living Space 3 (since I'm thinking at least a couple dozen guys right now): 3EP

*Personnel: Monks!: 1EP

*Gym (Gotta stay in shape for the Lord!): 1EP

*Infirmary: 1EP

*Library: 1EP

*Animal Pens: 1EP

*Chapel: 1EP (it's a very nice chapel!)

Total: 15EP aka 3PP

Specifically for this one I'm thinking some subset of the Cistercians, ans they already often do what I'm envisioning these guys doing (helping raise crops, animals, produce basic foodstuffs, provide care to the natives of the dimension, educate them, etc; that's where growth of the base comes in as more and more is added to their duties!).

For a VI, I’d go with some combination of Library (it’s a really good card catalog), Masterwork Library (I believe Scarab has it on her HQ), and Think-Tank (from Agents of Freedom). Could also be Personnel.

Surveillance & news feeds can be done with the Communications feature.

“Tough & hard to hurt†can be both a high Toughness and Power (Impervious Toughness).

Translators would be Power (Comprehend [Languages]); Sensors would be Power (Super-Senses).

Teleporter would be Power (Teleport), possibly with the Portal extra. Note that the Portal extra for HQ Teleporters is only a +1 Extra, since the power user (i.e., the HQ) can’t go with you.

(Note: This one will likely take the longest to acquire in-game, and I'm really not sure how to manage it yet. I'm also not sure how he'd use it, but I do think it'd be nifty to turn into a Team HQ, though I don't mind paying for it all myself.)

Features:

*Size: Gargantuan: 4EP

*Toughness +25 (It's in orbit! It needs to stand up to wear and tear!): 4EP

*Communications: 1EP

*Computer: 1EP

*Gym: 1EP

*Hangar: 1EP

*Infirmary: 1EP

*Power 4 ( (Comprehend [Languages; Speak/Read/Understand All]); (Super-Senses (I don't know quite what ranges to give here...); (Teleport 8 (800ft/2,000mi): Extra: Portal); (Impervious Toughness 20) ): 4EP (I think?)

*Living Space: 1EP

*Security System 3 (DC 30): 3EP

*Virtual Intelligence (Library, Think Tank, Personnel): 3EP (Not sure what Masterwork Library does, so not adding it in yet)

Total: 26EP, 6PP (with 4 unspent EP as of yet)

That's a grand total of 12PP spent, 3 free. So, room to grow some stuff.

Very helpful suggestions from Dok so far. More suggestions welcome!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Right, hopefully final draft for Gabriel's HQ:

Headquarters

Rising well above the fairly flat area surrounding it, the new Cistercian monastery present on Sanctuary is a slightly unusual, but very welcome sight. The large building sits on a slight hill, its steeple almost doubling its height. The stone walls are a light brown, softening its imposing bulk and giving it a vaguely homey feel; this is augmented by the blue roof tiles that add a touch of cheer to its facade.

The interior of the building is a strange blend of ancient and modern, with plenty of electrical lighting, central air/heating, and interior plumbing making the prospect of staying in a stone building more appealing. Approximately 35 Cistercian monks, of varying ages and skillsets, call the monastery their home. They cultivate a large garden on-site, as well as engaging in a bit of trade with the villagers present, and the occasional shipment from Earth-Prime. To supplement the garden, they have a decent amount of livestock they keep; quite a few chickens, and a few cows (solely for milk at the moment) help provide meat, milk, and eggs to supplement their diet. But more important than the facilities to keep themselves sheltered and fed are the ones to help the natives of this battered world.

The library is well stocked with both theological works, and a large variety of teaching materials; a full third of the brothers at the monastery hold degrees in education, and freely provide classes for both children and adults, on subjects ranging from basic reading and math, to advanced agriculture and animal husbandry. Just as valuable, perhaps, is the very modern and fully stocked infirmary, providing care for both regular checkups and more critical care for injuries and illness. Five of the monks have medical education, with one of them being a qualified surgeon who plans to dedicate the rest of his life to helping those in a much less fortunate position. The rest of the brothers, besides possessing the skills to help maintain the monastery itself, are free to provide counseling, theological instruction, or even just a friendly helping hand and listening ear whenever the people may require it.

All in all, the Abbey of Saint Marcellin Champagnat on Sanctuary is a place of learning and hope, hope for a growing future for these people and this world.

• 4 months later...

Finalizing this HQ

Equipment 3 (15EP) (+3 Veteran Silver Reward)

Equipment 3PP = 15EP

Headquarters (Underground Base)

Size: Large (2 EP)

Toughness: +10 (1 EP)

Features: Concealed, Defense System (Paralyze 12, Attack Bonus: +12, Extras: Targeted Shape-able Area, Flaw: Full-Round Action), Gym, Holding Cell (Extra Toughness, +15 Toughness Save), Isolated, Living Space, Power System, Security System (DC 20 Disable Device) (8 EP)

Vault :

Size: Fine (-3EP)

Toughness: +20: (3EP)

Features: Security System (DC 35 Disable Device) (4EP)

Templar's Forest Vault

While it's name is somewhat deceiving, the Forest Vault is indeed quite a secure location. Buried in a hill that Corbin found, it's embedded in a granite hillside that stretches several hundred feet around, a couple hundred feet down, but only about 75 feet above the ground around it. Running through the center of that is the reinforced bunker-like complex Corbin has transformed into a home away from home.

The entrance is a disguised door that seems a smaller copy of the door to Cheyenne Mountain; a mix of a layer of dirt over natural granite over steel-reinforced concrete with a thin layer of mystically-engraved lead sandwiched in there. It leads through a short hallway that takes a right turn into a similar door. Through that door is an "entry hall", one that even has an area for people to leave coats and muddy/wet shoes (and with several sizes of basic house shoes included!).

Past the entry hall is a common room, rather large, enough to have several couches, chairs, and a couple coffee tables; there's a large TV present, as well as a subtle surround-sound system. The lighting is muted and warm, and special circulation systems ensure a plentiful supply of fresh air is constantly flowing into the entire complex (heated or cooled as needed). The common room's walls are sheetrocked and sound-insulted (to help movie viewings); a few doors lead to various other sections of the complex.

One door leads to a large kitchen with a fully-stocked pantry and refrigerator (though most of the food is the sort that keeps long-term, rather than choice, fresh items), with a couple of attached dining rooms. Another heads toward the gymnasium (with both exercise machines and open mat areas) with small locker/shower rooms to one side. Yet another leads to several basic bedrooms; bed, nightstand, small dresser and closet, but no real decorations. Each bedroom has a small bathroom, with a couple extra besides. All in all, it seems a place designed to house several people long-term, though it rarely has anyone besides Corbin in it for any length of time.

Deeper in, any attempt to make the place "comfortable" disappears; the hall becomes bare concrete with a few vents and pipes along the ceiling. The next "story" below the main living area (which itself occupies a couple of levels) has approximately 10 feet of solid rock between it and the upper levels. It has a half-dozen spartan holding cells, designed to restrain powerful but comparatively un-powered individuals; Cobalt Templar is ready to, if necessary, detain up to 6 former Ring-Bearers at a time. After his last encounter with one, it seems a wise precaution.

Another 10-foot rock layer occurs, and then there's the major pieces of machinery, including the main component of the geo-thermal power generator (supplemented by arrays of small, discrete solar panels at the surface), as well as water refining machines and other major components of the necessary upkeep of a structure like this. Pipes and machinery are, of course, scattered about the complex, and some pipes (mainly the geothermal tap) run a fair bit down below anything else; said deep pipes are set on the far side of the complex from the final "layer".

20 feet below the Machinery Room, there is a 50-foot hallway lined with surveillance cameras, magical wards, and an extra helping of the sonic disabler system laced throughout the whole bunker. At the end of the hall, embedded over 100 feet below ground level and more than 200 feet from the edge of the huge chunk of granite housing the entire complex, there is a room encased in concrete, steel, lead, and copper. Shielded from electronics and magic alike, reinforced with science and mystical arts, and with a complex locking system designed to allow only Corbin and perhaps a handful of other people, there is a true vault. Within this vault, observed by yet more sensors and secured behind transparent alloys, there is a pedestal with 7 individual cases that are themselves locked. Each case can hold a single human-sized ring, and each "slot" bears a muted shade of a color, plus a "nametag" indicating which Ring goes where. Corbin has prepared for a day where none of the Rings, not even his own, have worthy holders. They will be secure, and if necessary they will be forgotten for a time.

In the meantime, it gives him a retreat from his home, and occasionally a place to have a simple get-together with friends.