Unspent PPs: 4

Character's Name: Blue Blaster

Alternate Identity: Oliver Knight

Height: 5' 8"

Weight: 154 lbs.

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Hazel

Description:

Oliver isn't bad-looking, but he doesn't really catch anybody's eyes. He's actually begun getting a stronger build since he started going on patrols during school - not that he was weak before, however.

In costume, the Blue Blaster has a fairly simple looking costume based on his mother's retired designs. It's made of an absorbant padding covering nearly his entire body and has a simple headpiece with heat-sensors in the visor. His jetpack is attached to the costume, just barely better than straps over the shoulders.

In his right hand is his signature weapon, which is also based on his mother's design and appears to be a standard energy gun. Despite that, it is not designed to be lethal (although Oliver suspects a high enough setting could make it potentially lethal).

History:

Oliver Knight thought he was a fairly normal kid. Both his parents were alive, together and happy. They lived in Kingston in North Freedom his whole life and he liked going to Franklin D. Roosevelt High in Midtown. It had problems, but it was good enough for him.

Up until high school, Oliver tried to fit into a couple different groups. Slowly, he began to develop a dislike of things that were done to fit in around the same time he was feeling that he didn't want to be in the crowd.

He started to discover his abilities while helping some friends set up for a play. Some of the scenery was quite heavy, so he was helping to carry pieces around. As he and his friend were positioning the tree, he got a sudden headache and passed out, nearly knocking over the tree. When he came to, he was getting memories coming up in his head that he didn't remember. It got wierder when he mentioned names and places from them, because his friend recognized them - and knew he hadn't told anyone else.

The trio began to try figuring it out, quickly coming to the conclusion that Oliver could read peoples thoughts after a few seconds of contact. Oliver realized what it meant, that he could learn anything nearly instantly. He realized that if he could gain the memories of the brainier students, he could easily keep his grade up without actually having to sit through the class. All it would take is a few seconds of physical contact and it would be like he was there and paying attention.

To further this end, he began palm-reading for students at very cheap costs. Thanks to his abilities, he could pick up knowledge from them to 'prove' he wasn't faking as well as knowing what they want or expect to hear.

After a while, people began noticing that he'd have little changes day to day. Maybe it would be his eye color changed, maybe he seemed a little bigger, maybe a little more sure of himself.

It changed a bit when he decided to go on a larger scale. His dad, Shane, was a programmer for USNet, and Oliver thought it could be useful to have some of the information from him and planned to write it down so he'd remember it after he returned his head to normal.

Before he did so, however, he thought he'd also borrow his mother's, Jamie's, memory to gather the family memory into one. That's when he got a bit of a shock. He thought his mom just stayed home, but in fact she had been a Gadgeteer, having retired when he was born. She wasn't one of the greats, but he could see the skill behind the stuff she built while she was active. Even better, he realized that he also knew how to duplicate them.

Stats:

Strength: 12 (+1)

Dexterity: 10 (+0)

Constitution: 14 (+2)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Wisdom: 16 (+3)

Charisma: 14 (+2)

Combat:

Attack +2, +4 [Ranged], +6 [blaster]

Grapple +3

Damage +1 [unarmed]

Defense +6, +2 [flat-footed]

Initiative +4

Saves:

Toughness +4, +6 [Energy] (+2 natural)

Fortitude +3

Reflex +2

Will +4

Skills:

Bluff 3 (+5)

Computers 4 (+6)

Disguise 3 (+5)

Intimidate 4 (+5)

Knowledge [Popular Culture] 6 (+8)

Notice 3 (+6)

Sense Motive 1 (+4)

Feats:

Ambidexterity

Attack Focus 2 [Ranged]

Attack Specialization [blaster]

Beginner's Luck

Benefit [Wealth]

Dodge Focus 2

Improved Initiative

Well-informed

Powers:

Blaster 4 [Easy to Lose Device, gives 20 device points] (12p)

Rocket Pack 1 [Easy to Lose Device, gives 5 device points] (3p)

Costume 1 [Hard to Lose Device, gives 5 device points] (4p)

Smoke Pellets 1 [Visual Obscure; Extra: Independent; Flaw: Limited (Normal Vision only)] (1p)

Mind Reading 6 [Extra] (4p)

Shapeshift 2 [Extra] (10p)

Improved Size Changing 2 [Array; Extra: Linked (Shapeshift); Feat: Alternate Power] (5p)

BP: Growth 4 [Flaw]

AP: Shrinking 4 [Extra]

Cost:

Abilities (20) + Combat (12) + Saves (4) + Skills (6) + Feats (9) + Powers (39) = 90/90 points

Devices:

Blaster (Designed to attack the nervous system, the Blue Blaster's blaster is designed to incapacitate without causing lasting injuries. Not intended for use against the non-living.)

Stun 6 [Extra] (20p)

AP: Nauseate 6 [Extra]

AP: Paralyze 6 [Extra]

Rocket Pack (The Rocket Pack is a fairly cheaply made method of transportation for when others are just too slow. It's quite rigid, so turns can't be made too sharply but responds quickly.)

Flight 2 [25mph; Drawback: Wide Turns] (3p)

Super-Movement 1 [slow Fall] (2p)

Costume (The Blue Blaster's costume is made of layered padding that dissipates energy (including, to a lesser degree, kinetic) to the entire body, resulting in less damage being done to the wearer. This also allows it to retain warmth in the coldest of climates. A minor adjustment was made when it was made to include a mask, adding a visor that would read heat signatures and a simple voicechanger to protect the user's identity.)

Protection 4 [Flaw] (3p)

Immunity 1 [Environmental Cold] (1p)

Super-senses 1 [infravision] (1p)

Player's Name: Seren

Power Level: 7 (94 PPs)

Unspent PPs: 4

Character's Name: Blue Blaster

Alternate Identity: Oliver Knight

Height: 5' 8"

Weight: 154 lbs.

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Hazel

Description:

Oliver isn't bad-looking, but he doesn't really catch anybody's eyes. He's actually begun getting a stronger build since he started going on patrols during school - not that he was weak before, however.

In costume, the Blue Blaster has a fairly simple looking costume based on his mother's retired designs. It's made of an absorbant padding covering nearly his entire body and has a simple headpiece with heat-sensors in the visor. His jetpack is attached to the costume, just barely better than straps over the shoulders.

In his right hand is his signature weapon, which is also based on his mother's design and appears to be a standard energy gun. Despite that, it is not designed to be lethal (although Oliver suspects a high enough setting could make it potentially lethal).

History:

Oliver Knight thought he was a fairly normal kid. Both his parents were alive, together and happy. They lived in Kingston in North Freedom his whole life and he liked going to Franklin D. Roosevelt High in Midtown. It had problems, but it was good enough for him.

Up until high school, Oliver tried to fit into a couple different groups. Slowly, he began to develop a dislike of things that were done to fit in around the same time he was feeling that he didn't want to be in the crowd.

He started to discover his abilities while helping some friends set up for a play. Some of the scenery was quite heavy, so he was helping to carry pieces around. As he and his friend were positioning the tree, he got a sudden headache and passed out, nearly knocking over the tree. When he came to, he was getting memories coming up in his head that he didn't remember. It got wierder when he mentioned names and places from them, because his friend recognized them - and knew he hadn't told anyone else.

The trio began to try figuring it out, quickly coming to the conclusion that Oliver could read peoples thoughts after a few seconds of contact. Oliver realized what it meant, that he could learn anything nearly instantly. He realized that if he could gain the memories of the brainier students, he could easily keep his grade up without actually having to sit through the class. All it would take is a few seconds of physical contact and it would be like he was there and paying attention.

To further this end, he began palm-reading for students at very cheap costs. Thanks to his abilities, he could pick up knowledge from them to 'prove' he wasn't faking as well as knowing what they want or expect to hear.

After a while, people began noticing that he'd have little changes day to day. Maybe it would be his eye color changed, maybe he seemed a little bigger, maybe a little more sure of himself.

It changed a bit when he decided to go on a larger scale. His dad, Shane, was a programmer for USNet, and Oliver thought it could be useful to have some of the information from him and planned to write it down so he'd remember it after he returned his head to normal.

Before he did so, however, he thought he'd also borrow his mother's, Jamie's, memory to gather the family memory into one. That's when he got a bit of a shock. He thought his mom just stayed home, but in fact she had been a Gadgeteer, having retired when he was born. She wasn't one of the greats, but he could see the skill behind the stuff she built while she was active. Even better, he realized that he also knew how to duplicate them.

Stats:

Strength: 12 (+1)

Dexterity: 10 (+0)

Constitution: 14 (+2)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Wisdom: 16 (+3)

Charisma: 14 (+2)

Combat:

Attack +2, +4 [Ranged], +6 [blaster]

Grapple +3

Damage +1 [unarmed]

Defense +6, +2 [flat-footed]

Initiative +4

Saves:

Toughness +4, +6 [Energy] (+2 natural)

Fortitude +3

Reflex +2

Will +4

Skills:

Bluff 3 (+5)

Computers 4 (+6)

Disguise 3 (+5)

Intimidate 4 (+5)

Knowledge [Popular Culture] 6 (+8)

Notice 3 (+6)

Sense Motive 1 (+4)

Feats:

Ambidexterity

Attack Focus 2 [Ranged]

Attack Specialization [blaster]

Beginner's Luck

Benefit [Wealth]

Dodge Focus 2

Improved Initiative

Well-informed

Powers:

Blaster 4 [Easy to Lose Device, gives 20 device points] (12p)

Costume 1 [Hard to Lose Device, gives 5 device points] (4p)

Smoke Pellets 1 [Visual Obscure; Extra: Independent; Flaw: Limited (Normal Vision only)] (1p)

Mind Reading 6 [Extra] (4p)

Shapeshift 2 [Extra] (10p)

Improved Size Changing 2 [Array; Extra: Linked (Shapeshift); Feat: Alternate Power] (5p)

BP: Growth 4 [Flaw]

AP: Shrinking 4 [Extra]

Cost:

Abilities (20) + Combat (12) + Saves (4) + Skills (6) + Feats (9) + Powers (39) = 90/90 points

Devices:

Blaster (Designed to attack the nervous system, the Blue Blaster's blaster is designed to incapacitate without causing lasting injuries. Not intended for use against the non-living.)

Stun 6 [Extra] (20p)

AP: Nauseate 6 [Extra]

AP: Paralyze 6 [Extra]

Rocket Pack (The Rocket Pack is a fairly cheaply made method of transportation for when others are just too slow. It's quite rigid, so turns can't be made too sharply but responds quickly.)

Flight 2 [25mph; Drawback: Wide Turns] (3p)

Super-Movement 1 [slow Fall] (2p)

Costume (The Blue Blaster's costume is made of layered padding that dissipates energy (including, to a lesser degree, kinetic) to the entire body, resulting in less damage being done to the wearer. This also allows it to retain warmth in the coldest of climates. A minor adjustment was made when it was made to include a mask, adding a visor that would read heat signatures and a simple voicechanger to protect the user's identity.)

Protection 4 [Flaw] (3p)

Immunity 1 [Environmental Cold] (1p)

Super-senses 1 [infravision] (1p)

Most everything on your character looks good. You could go with the smoke pellets as equipment if you wished, but if you want something that only blocks normal vision (say, so your Infravision works through it), your power seems fine. I have it coming in with an initial radius of 100 feet, fading back at one step on the Progression table per round.

The problem I see is with the Linking of Shapeshift, Mind Reading, and Growth. Per the rules for Linked, you can only link powers with the same range. Shapeshift and Growth are both Personal range, while you can only reduce Mind Reading to Touch range. You also have it bought at the +0 value, which means you would have to change shape to become the same size as whomever's mind you read and powers you gained.

I also can't get the Size-Changing array to add up. With a cost of 3 pp/rank and a Limited (-1) flaw, Growth 4 would require 8 pp, not 4. The Shrinking also comes in at 8 pp, though I am discussing whether the Normal Toughness extra is appropriate with the other referees. If that were removed, you'd go down to 4 pp on that half of the AP.

Most everything on your character looks good. You could go with the smoke pellets as equipment if you wished, but if you want something that only blocks normal vision (say, so your Infravision works through it), your power seems fine. I have it coming in with an initial radius of 100 feet, fading back at one step on the Progression table per round.

The problem I see is with the Linking of Shapeshift, Mind Reading, and Growth. Per the rules for Linked, you can only link powers with the same range. Shapeshift and Growth are both Personal range, while you can only reduce Mind Reading to Touch range. You also have it bought at the +0 value, which means you would have to change shape to become the same size as whomever's mind you read and powers you gained.

I also can't get the Size-Changing array to add up. With a cost of 3 pp/rank and a Limited (-1) flaw, Growth 4 would require 8 pp, not 4. The Shrinking also comes in at 8 pp, though I am discussing whether the Normal Toughness extra is appropriate with the other referees. If that were removed, you'd go down to 4 pp on that half of the AP.

Most of that appears to be correct.

The smoke pellets are mainly for when he gets into trouble and needs to get out, as you'll note his non-blaster abilities are limited. They're easily made and small enough to keep on him (also allowing him an escape to change if none are available). They work better than I thought (which is fine - he can use the extra time).

For the Linking, the +0 value is correct (change size with shape) - it just helps him duplicate the target if he's trying to.

That is a point about the range - the idea being that the subject now required by both (Shapeshift and Size Changing) would have to be at touch range. Although it would be the same cost and still work without linking the Mind Reading in it - meaning he'd need 2 rounds to change physically and add their thoughts to his mind, but he could also pick up what the person's thinking about without it (and fast enough to do other stuff).

In short, if needed, I think removing the Link to Mind Reading would be just fine.

As for the Size Changing array, I asked here (admittedly, it was about Mimic specifically), and you gave it as a -2 flaw.

You also put the Normal Toughness in.

If it would help, I would go for the +1 Linked (which, if I remove it from Mind Reading), would be from just the array before buying off the Limited flaw from Shapeshift (which would be rank by rank) - with the Size Changing still requiring a subject but able to become other shapes (spending the points on size if I had no subject but wanted to grow).

Or would that just be an AP of a non-linked Shapeshift? I seem to remember seeing something like that, but I forget where.

Most of that appears to be correct.

The smoke pellets are mainly for when he gets into trouble and needs to get out, as you'll note his non-blaster abilities are limited. They're easily made and small enough to keep on him (also allowing him an escape to change if none are available). They work better than I thought (which is fine - he can use the extra time).

For the Linking, the +0 value is correct (change size with shape) - it just helps him duplicate the target if he's trying to.

That is a point about the range - the idea being that the subject now required by both (Shapeshift and Size Changing) would have to be at touch range. Although it would be the same cost and still work without linking the Mind Reading in it - meaning he'd need 2 rounds to change physically and add their thoughts to his mind, but he could also pick up what the person's thinking about without it (and fast enough to do other stuff).

In short, if needed, I think removing the Link to Mind Reading would be just fine.

As for the Size Changing array, I asked here (admittedly, it was about Mimic specifically), and you gave it as a -2 flaw.

You also put the Normal Toughness in.

If it would help, I would go for the +1 Linked (which, if I remove it from Mind Reading), would be from just the array before buying off the Limited flaw from Shapeshift (which would be rank by rank) - with the Size Changing still requiring a subject but able to become other shapes (spending the points on size if I had no subject but wanted to grow).

Or would that just be an AP of a non-linked Shapeshift? I seem to remember seeing something like that, but I forget where.

I told you that I was hoping to be the bearer of good news. The "Game Rule Clarifications" section of our site has been updated. Here's the relevant addition for your character.

The Ultimate Power version of Shrinking is in use, with the following changes:

The Normal Abilities extra is eliminated.

The Normal Movement extra is now the Normal Movement power feat, giving all of its benefits for a single power point.

The Normal Toughness extra is now the Normal Toughness power feat. One rank of Normal Toughness keeps your Toughness modifier unchanged at Small and Tiny sizes; two ranks of Normal Toughness keep your Toughness modifier unchanged at any size smaller than Medium.

This was done because Normal Movement and Normal Toughness were tremendously overcosted for their relative effects (based on Speed and Protection, respectively). Note that these changes also allow for the Compression extra to be obtained as long as you have the Normal Strength extra and enough ranks of Normal Toughness for your minimum size.

It only saves you one pp on your alternate power, but that's enough that you can get the Normal Movement power feat as well if you so desire. If that's the only change you make, then you're approved by me.

I told you that I was hoping to be the bearer of good news. The "Game Rule Clarifications" section of our site has been updated. Here's the relevant addition for your character.

The Ultimate Power version of Shrinking is in use, with the following changes:

The Normal Abilities extra is eliminated.

The Normal Movement extra is now the Normal Movement power feat, giving all of its benefits for a single power point.

The Normal Toughness extra is now the Normal Toughness power feat. One rank of Normal Toughness keeps your Toughness modifier unchanged at Small and Tiny sizes; two ranks of Normal Toughness keep your Toughness modifier unchanged at any size smaller than Medium.

This was done because Normal Movement and Normal Toughness were tremendously overcosted for their relative effects (based on Speed and Protection, respectively). Note that these changes also allow for the Compression extra to be obtained as long as you have the Normal Strength extra and enough ranks of Normal Toughness for your minimum size.

It only saves you one pp on your alternate power, but that's enough that you can get the Normal Movement power feat as well if you so desire. If that's the only change you make, then you're approved by me.

I am ready to Approve you as well (if you're done making changes). My only concern was with . . .

. . . I'm having trouble imagining a Rocket Pack that is easy to lose. Perhaps an explanation of how it works/looks? :D

I am ready to Approve you as well (if you're done making changes). My only concern was with . . .

. . . I'm having trouble imagining a Rocket Pack that is easy to lose. Perhaps an explanation of how it works/looks? :D

Alright, I do agree with that - cheaper for higher ranks to buy Protection linked with Shrinking at 5 points per size category rather than Shrinking + Normal Toughness at 8 points per size category.

I went ahead and added the Normal Movement feat. At lesser distances, I've noticed that shorter people seem to be faster - maybe I just know more short athletes and tall non-athletes than normal... Anyway, for longer distances (in costume), I can use my Rocket Pack (which if I happen to be shrunk shouldn't be reduced - so it makes sense).

Speaking of the Rocket Pack, however...

This is actually something I decided early on point-wise, so it wasn't just a matter of needing the point.

Because of how the armor pads are set up, as well as how the rocket pack was designed, Oliver found that he couldn't attach them together well. So, the pack is connected in a similar manner to a backpack's straps. People with a fair amount of experience (make a successful disarm attack) can find a point that will snap it's connection with the suit, causing it to become unattached (or, the weapon gets caught in the armor's padding)

If not in use, it'll generally drop to the ground (or be grabbed if done unarmed, of course). If it is in use, however - well, Oliver's in trouble. It'll stop fairly quickly, as will Oliver, but not in the same place. That's why he tends to stay low to the ground when he does fly.

Alright, I do agree with that - cheaper for higher ranks to buy Protection linked with Shrinking at 5 points per size category rather than Shrinking + Normal Toughness at 8 points per size category.

I went ahead and added the Normal Movement feat. At lesser distances, I've noticed that shorter people seem to be faster - maybe I just know more short athletes and tall non-athletes than normal... Anyway, for longer distances (in costume), I can use my Rocket Pack (which if I happen to be shrunk shouldn't be reduced - so it makes sense).

Speaking of the Rocket Pack, however...

This is actually something I decided early on point-wise, so it wasn't just a matter of needing the point.

Because of how the armor pads are set up, as well as how the rocket pack was designed, Oliver found that he couldn't attach them together well. So, the pack is connected in a similar manner to a backpack's straps. People with a fair amount of experience (make a successful disarm attack) can find a point that will snap it's connection with the suit, causing it to become unattached (or, the weapon gets caught in the armor's padding)

If not in use, it'll generally drop to the ground (or be grabbed if done unarmed, of course). If it is in use, however - well, Oliver's in trouble. It'll stop fairly quickly, as will Oliver, but not in the same place. That's why he tends to stay low to the ground when he does fly.