A Fool's Errand (IC)

GranspearZX

"You give me Trigger and we don't have to find out what the melting point of bone is. How's that for a deal?!"

"Bones don't melt, they burn. Its the Calcium phosphate content. At exceptional heat they will sublime..." said Supercape, off topic.

"But..*ahem*...to the question at hand. I doubt you could burn me, at least not before I have completely irradiated you...." he brushed aside some steam.

"And I can see you perfectly through this smoke. I, sir, have the upper hand. And I don't intend to deal it away, at least not until I know what is going on here. Why are you at this building?"

"If you want to try and burn me, then go ahead, but next time, I won't hold back!"

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

"I... w-what?"

For a second, Smokey was flustered by the explanation. He snorted a burst of smoke. "You KNOW what I meant!"

They seemed to be at an impasse; the realization that his smoke form simply wasn't going to protect him--or Trigger--from being irradiated was pretty plain on his face. "Look, we're just watchin' the guy, okay?! Some woman paid us to watch Knives while he got his little power trip on, that's it! It's not like you wanna go down there anyway... all that 'blah blah dimensions, blah blah vessel' crap ain't got all that much to do with us."

Somewhere behind Supercape, Trigger started to stir as well--certainly not in any condition to retaliate, but he was at least conscious.

GM

"Look, we're just watchin' the guy, okay?! Some woman paid us to watch Knives while he got his little power trip on, that's it! It's not like you wanna go down there anyway... all that 'blah blah dimensions, blah blah vessel' crap ain't got all that much to do with us."

"Really?" replied Supercape, leaning forward through the smoke, full of interest.

"It just so happen's I am very interested in dimensions and all that blah blah stuff. And I can assure you that when it comes to dimensions and blah blah, it has an awful lot to do with you. A lot to do with everyone. Playing around with that stuff and your very existence can be threatened, do you understand?" he asked, tapping Smokey on the head.

"So, whilst normally I would be inclined to take your petty criminal activities more seriously, I have, as they say, bigger fish to fry. So, if you know what's good for you, spill the beans. I have a dimensional catastrophe to stop!"

GM

Smokey smacked Supercape's hand away, scowling and blowing a hefty cloud of cigar smoke into the superhero's face. "Yeah, yeah, whatever... All we were supposed to do was watch the door. Make sure no one goes in. For their own sakes, according to what we were told."

Trigger eventually came staggering out of the smoke cloud. He'd found his glasses and his footing, but still looked a bit wobbly on his feet, even while using his telescoping staff as a walking stick. "...you go down there, you're not coming back." He didn't say it in a threatening manner, but simply as a matter of fact not up for dispute. As the steam began to clear from the room, Trigger adjusted his fogged-up glasses. "Whatever's going down underneath here's already started, so..." He shrugged, indifferent as ever.

"Whatever's going down underneath here's already started, so..."

Supercape turned to face Trigger and reply.

"Already started? Then time is even more pressing. Look, even if you don't realise it, your very lives are in danger. Not just yours, any family, and friends, everyone you know...And I don't have time to play games arguing the philosophy of this. If you knew what was good for you, you'd be rushing to help me and stop this. But I doubt you will believe me. What you need to do is tell me where to go, and do so now...unless you want to be hurled into a nuclear explosion, or worse!"

He slammed his fist into an open palm, exciting a few molecules into a display of menacing orange radiation as he did so.

"So...help me, or at least point me in the right direction...but don't get in my way...."

GM

Having taken the majority of the pounding from the caped hero, Trigger flinched a little bit at the threat. Smokey was just about ready for round two, but Trigger just gave a lazy shrug. "Fine, fine... geez. What a bother..."

"Now wait just a damn minute--"

"It's not like we owe Knives anything. Hell, maybe it'll put us in good with the old man again."

"...tch." Smokey sighed in concession, turning to walk away. "You know how to reach me." With that, Smokey's entire body went up in a burst of flame and cigar smoke, disappearing entirely. Trigger turned to Supercape, lightly rubbing at his sore jaw before pointing towards the end of the room, along with two broken strips of yellow caution tape. "This way to your doom... or whatever."

Whilst Supercape didn't trust, or even like, Trigger, he swallowed his reaction and maintained his composure.

"Thank you, much appreciated!" he said as politely as he could.

He was still not sure if this was a good idea...Trigger seemed to only look after number one, but then, hopefully he would have the common sense to realise his goal of self-preservation would be best served by helping Supercape this once.

With some reluctance, he turned his back to Trigger, and spent a moment to analyse and reaffirm his force field, before brushing aside the broken caution tape and striding forward...

GM

"...whatever. I'm not responsible if something happens..." Trigger didn't seem to care one way or another. It all could have been an act, but if it was, it was a fairly consistent one. If the weapons he carried on his belt were any indication--several metal rods--than he was definitely more intelligent than he let on. With Supercape's back turned, though, Trigger didn't try to hit him and run; instead, the young man simply collapsed the staff and walked forward, leading Supercape to the room beyond the door.

The subsequent hallway was just as dimly lit at the rest of the building, but from here, there was a strange echo and rumbling. Supercape's senses didn't pick up any additional disturbance from whatever dimensional happenings were going on below their feet, but it was steady and forceful enough to knock loose dust from the ceiling. Towards the end of the hallway was another door with no discernible handle; Trigger placed his hand against it and, after about thirty seconds, the door slid to one side, revealing an elevator.

The smell of sulphur and a wave of heat struck almost instantly when it did, followed by another solid rumble from below.

Supercape breathed an almost silent sigh of relief when Trigger lead him on. He had been half expecting the man to literally stab him in the back. Despite the man's nonchalance, he dared hope that Trigger would actually help.

"Is this an elevator, or a death trap?" said Supercape, stepping in without delay. Whilst he was rightly anxious, he had clarity of purpose now. Danger was inevitable. All he could do was face it.

He rolled his neck, closed his eyes and breathed out deeply, focussing his mind.

"Coming?" he asked Trigger, gently sweeping his arm and cape in invitation.

"If I fail, you may not be safe..."

GM

"...I think I'll manage."

Trigger reached into his pocket, producing a small lighter. Flicking it back and forth, he stepped into the elevator, letting it close behind him. Its descent was rather smooth, despite the rumbling coming from below. "This isn't a death trap. At least, it's not supposed to be. But things happen."

Reaching into the folds of his jacket, he produced what looked like a rebreather and a pair of goggles. He very calmly put both on, and as the doors opened, it was apparent why. The heat was outright oppressive--nearly 20 degrees higher than it had been upstairs. The corridor beyond wasn't a hallway; it looked more like a cavern. There was no telling how far down they'd gone, but apparently it was far enough that it tapped into something else... a thermal pocket, perhaps? There really was no way for anyone with normal senses to be sure.

The most disturbing aspect, though, was the screams. That was really the only thing that gave Trigger pause. The cavern curved and the clearly painful, vaguely human cries didn't stop... nor did the dimensional disturbance coming from the same direction.

• 3 weeks later...

"That doesn't sound good..." acknowledged Supercape, who was sorely tempted to put his fingers in his ears to block out the terrible sound. However, he needed all his wits about him...

It doesn't feel to heart-warming either he told himself, as his uncanny senses picked up the dimensional tear.

At least it isn't getting bigger... he told himself, clinging to some hope.

The temptation to run and get help from the Lab, or Doktor Archeville, lay strong. But he simply didn't have the time. Anything could happen, and anything could happen now

"No time like the present..." he told Trigger, before marching at full speed towards the disturbance...

GM

The tunnel started to widen the further down the pair went, eventually opening up into a large cavern, more or less directly underneath the apartment building, miles below the surface. Black stone pillars, etched with glowing red symbols, surrounded a large platform. Atop the platform was a figure on all fours chained to the ground, thrashing violently against some unseen force--or, at least Trigger couldn't see it. Above the man was the dimensional disturbance, distorting the air in the entire area like heat. There was plenty of heat as it was, making it difficult to breathe normally. The dimensional tear itself was a red and black-streaked affair that, combined with the distortion it was creating around it, looked like an enormous eye, bombarding the human below it with an unidentified energy pouring out of it at a steady, disturbingly rapid rate.

"This doesn't look good either"

He had the horrible feeling, with the sounds and the signs, that this had an eldritch flavour. If not in actuality, then perhaps it was being worshipped as one.

Whatever was going on, dimensional tears were bad business. The only question was how bad. He was torn between the urge to immediately send his mental power full force into the breach to close it, and study it first.

And what of this chained figure.

"Hello!!!" he called out, loud but uncertainly, to the man - or woman - or...whatever...

"Can you hear me? what is going on?" he called, approaching him cautiously.

GM

The figure shuddered violently and looked up as Supercape and Trigger, his face black and charred. All at once, his eyes lit up light torches and a laughter that could only be described as sinister filled the cavern. He rose, snapping the bonds that held his still growing body to the ground snapping with virtually no effort. Trigger took a step back, not entirely sure if he should stand with Supercape or run. Either way, the figure's soulless eyes focused on the caped hero, his tone one of extreme amusement as he spoke.

"WHAT'S GOING ON... IS THE END. OF EVERYTHING."

"WHAT'S GOING ON... IS THE END. OF EVERYTHING."

Supercape dared not look back at Trigger, although he wanted to impress upon the man some courage.

"Not if we have anything to do about it!" he said, defiantly. His gaze levelled at the man directly.

"If it is to be the end of everything, then we have nothing to lose" he said pointedly, his words directed at Trigger even though he looked directly at the figure.

"And everything to fight for!" he added.

Even as he spoke, his uncanny senses were gazing over the rift, trying to discern what was going on.

"So tell me, how is the end of all things to happen? with a song, a dance? or some vague threats from a chained man?"

"Perhaps I should throw you back into that rift!" he added, his voice firm. If this was going to be an end, he would go down fighting, that was for sure.

GM

"Arrogant human." The figure placed his hand on one of the shackles on his wrist. There was a brief, reddish-black glow before the metal simply melted away. "You should chose your last words more carefully. Besides... you can do nothing without dooming this vessel to the same fate. But I am not without mercy... surrender and your demise will be relatively painless."

He stepped down from the place where he'd been shackled, flames erupting from his neck and engulfing his head, leaving a sinisterly grinning black skull amidst the fire. "None will stand against the will of Taraxus. If you are this world's vanguard... heh."

"I...err...Taraxus....yes...very pleased to meet you..." mumbled Supercape, at a loss for words.

Involuntarily, he backed off a few steps as Taraxus spoke.

"I...errr...well, that is...I'm not really that inclined to surrender, you see. What with you apparently wanting the destruction of the universe. Not really my cup of tea, that. I'm quite attached to this universe, really. Some splendid sights. Why, there is this one magnificent moon just of the shoulder of Orion..."

His eyes widened when Taraxus head burst into a flaming black skull.

"Oh dear..." he mumbled to himself, even as his force field shone brighter.

GM

Taraxus only seemed to grow more annoyed as Supercape spoke. Not unlike the fire-wielding thug from upstairs, the interdimensional conqueror extended his right hand, deep red flames bursting from his palm at the white-caped hero. The force field seemed to hold, but even without having the explicit ability to sense such things, it somehow felt evil.

Trigger, still behind Supercape, backed up even further, eyes wide as he watched the assault begin. The dimensional rift behind Taraxus shuddered, making the ground beneath and above rumble violently; that didn't exactly inspire confidence in the young man either.

"Nasty business, all this fire..." replied Supercape, more than pleased his forcefield had been able to withstand the blast. With trans-dimensional ruptures, one never entirely knew what was going to happen.

As he spoke, he arose, floating off the ground, his magnificent blue cape wafting and expanding, as his entire costume started sparkling and then glowing with a soft, but powerful greeny-blue hue.

"Now, let me show you why they call me Supercape..." he said in a firm voice. Whilst his insides rumbled with fear and uncertainty, he knew that he had to put his all into this.

He leaned forward, into a dive, whipping straight up to the mysterious figure, his cape expanding, and then, like a whip, lashing forward into the figure, with the unstable molecules of the cloth exited into a radioactive frenzy...

GM

Taraxus didn't seem terribly concerned or impressed--at least not until Supercape's assault actually connected, sending the huge figure staggering backward several yards. His footfalls tore gouges in the black rock at his feet; any lesser being might have gone flying much further. It was clear that he hadn't expected that kind of power, but he still shrugged it off, even as he staggered a little to regain his balance.

"I actually felt that. Color me impressed."

Supercape risked a quick glance back at Trigger. Of course, he was more than able to keep track of the flaming figure behind him, his acute supersenses picking up every fluctuation in electromagnetic energy around him.

"Come on...we need to stop this! we can stop him!" he yelled.

"Before all hell breaks lose!" he added, pointing to the dimensional tear.

He closed his hand into a fist.

"And as for you, my friend. I am delighted you are impressed. You wont be disappointed! there is plenty more of that from whence it came!" he said, his fist exploding with the same blue green light and snapping into the figures face...

GM

"You say 'we' but..." Trigger's voice trailed off as the fighting continued. He stood upright amidst the shaking room, removing one of the cylinders from his belt. He sighed as it extended into a staff. "I must be crazy."

Taraxus managed to shake off his initial surprise at Supercape's power, hellfire surrounding his hands again. This time it wasn't the same sinister looking red; it somehow seemed much darker. As Supercape nailed Taraxus in the face, he struck back with a blow of his own, aimed squarely at Supercape's chest.

GM

"...I suppose I have to be 'serious' now."

Trigger adjusted his glasses and faint blue lines streaked across his lenses. Even as Taraxus was pushed backward by the aura surrounding Supercape, Trigger moved quickly to his right along the wall. He squeezed the staff and it bent towards him into a bow, a single white beam of light serving as its string. He drew it back and fired an energy arrow at Taraxus, frowning as it bounced harmlessly off his chest plate.

"...this may take a while."

Supercape flashed a smile and a thumbs up a Trigger.

"Saving the universe!" he said to the reluctant hero. "You can put that on your resume. It won't look to bad, I promise!"

He returned his attention to Taraxus.

"Bitten off more than you can chew today, my friend!" he said, smacking his fist into his palm.

Damn my chest hurts. It feels like he pulled my lungs out out through my ribs...

"Let me show exactly how much..." he added, as his cape and cloth exploded with even greater radiance, burning with purple brilliance, and another clenched fist, draped in radiation, met the burning man...

GM

Taraxus reeled after yet another blow to his flaming skull, driven back even further by Supercape's assault. "You... are starting to annoy me." It was an obvious bluff; though it was visibly difficult to tell whether or not he was in pain, his movements were far slower than they had been at the start of the confrontation. By now, Supercape had driven him further back into the cavern, and he was no longer directly underneath the dimensional disturbance--that alone seemed to be causing it to stabilize and start to close.

Not to be outdone, Trigger continued to strafe along the wall, letting another energy arrow fly at Taraxus. Another direct hit, but the demonic entity only seemed to shrug it off.