Slave to Time (IC)

"'Pay for that'?" laughed El Heraldo "I dare say I will, but that will have to wait until we return to the future. You, in the meanwhile, are paying for your crimes right now" he leaned on the Banner, looking down at Lorenzo. "Yield. You are beaten, you have been thrown down by us time and again, we can easily catch you if you try to run. You cannot best us, traitor, so save yourself from our vengeance and surrender."

Shouldering the Banner, he added grimly "I doubt the courts will have any laws about 'selling out humanity to the Serpent People in the past', but I'm sure your kidnapping of the librarian won't go unpunished."

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

From the bottom of the dank, wet floor of the tunnel, Lorenzo Vile clutched the chains of Lemuria, now wet too. Despite the pain of cracked ribs and bruises, he laughed.

"I will not be judged by the slave race" he said his voice cold but firm in the darkness.

"Does the ant judge the boot? Does the deer judge the wolf? No, it is for fang and sinew to judge, that is the only law, from the dawn of men forever more!"

In the oily darkness of foul Lemuria, Young Brittania and El Heraldo could here the man breathing hard and start to rise again...battered but not yet broken.

The dark didn’t feel quite as oppressive as before, but it still made it impossible to hit anything. And boy was Lorenzo was beginning to get annoying.

“If animals created gods they too would create them in their own image, that Xenophanes by the way. Much better than all the Social Darwinism you pushing, you probably want to try and read some other books that aren't filled with so much hate. I'm pretty sure that one of us is going to have a invoke Godwin’s laws soon and thats just going to get nasty.â€

GM

Vile rose, the thin water falling off him as he did.

"I wont discuss philosophy with you, slave!" he retorted "your feeble mind could not begin to understand the mysteries of the universe. You are but an ant, unknowing, unseeing. The Yellow Sign know all! The Unspeakable one sees all!"

He cackled, not without some pain.

Then, turning heel, he shuffled, then hobbled, then ran, down the black tunnel to the sound of the sea beyond.

El Heraldo hadn't the faintest idea who or what the 'Unspeakable One' was, but he had absorbed enough general Lovecraftian lore by osmosis to know his had similar titles. "So your patrons worship some fell beast from beyond, do they?" He listened to the loud thuds of the escaping man's feet down the narrow tunnel, tracking him by the changing volume of his feet slamming into the ground.

Lifting off into the air with a flare of golden light, he soared after the man, fell to earth just behind Lorenzo, and punched him right between his shoulder blades. "It won't matter, we'll never be slaves again now! Not while the Spirits of Justice and Victory stand to send champions into the fray!"

GM

Lorenzo had not got far when El Heraldo slammed into him like a cannon ball. He went flying, tumboing over and over through the tunnel and eventually coming out, into the open air, the dusky night, and thundering into the sea, out cold.

The chains of Lemuria slipped from his slack fingers, flying into the sea behind him.

There was no doubt that the man had been knocked out cold by the full force of the furious El Heraldo. And now, his unconscious body was sinking beneath the waves...

She may not particularly like the man but bugger if she was going to let him drown. Without a pause she dived into the water to fish the man out. Cause it helped that she didn’t need to breathe...

She carefully put Lorenzo at Subito feet. . God it was good to be out of the darkness.

“Keep an eye on him, I’m going to try and find that chain. Better keep him away from the Adams family up there as well; they seem to dislike him almost as much as us.â€

With that she dived into the water search to search for the chain, the water softly glowing with her aura.

GM

The water was dark, and murky, it was hard to see further than a few yards at best, especially at night - but the soft glow of Young Brittania turned a difficult task into a straightforward, if somewhat tedious task.

The chains of Lemuria glistened in the ocean bed, its iron rings clinking softly with the ebb and flow of the sea. It had not travelled far out, as if it almost wanted to be found.

Meanwhile

Vile was cold and wet, his body bruised and battered by the pummeling he had received from the two heroes. He lay on the beach, still and cold, until he started coughing, heaving, and spluttering. With a shake of his head his eyes started to flicker open...

Subito had in fact almost lifted off to snatch the man out of the water before his comrade sailed overhead. Dropping to the ground he shrugged to himself Eh, shouldn't get mad just 'cause I can't do everything he thought, listening to the splashing noises of the quick rescue, and watching her dump the man at his feet.

Keep an eye on him, I’m going to try and find that chain. Better keep him away from the Adams family up there as well; they seem to dislike him almost as much as us.

"Sure thing YB, he won't get away" he said, a little distantly, his eyes fixed on the face of their enemy. He had only briefly caught glimpses of it during most of their adventure, and he was curious what the man would look like not shrouded in darkness or in the haze of a sewer. Huh..he looks like an ordinary man he thought in surprise That is how it usually is, yes

He glanced over at the nearby water, watching the play of light coming from Agnes for a second before turning back to his charge, starting when he saw the man's eyes begin to open. "You weren't out long, Lorenzo, must not have hit you hard enough. Just so you know, if you try and escape now, I won't make that mistake" he said companionably "How about you start talkin' about how you started working for the Serpent People?"

GM

"You weren't out long, Lorenzo, must not have hit you hard enough. Just so you know, if you try and escape now, I won't make that mistake" he said companionably "How about you start talkin' about how you started working for the Serpent People?"

Lornezo coughed up the last of the seawater, and lay flat on his back, heaving for breath.

"The chains...the chains..." he muttered, in a distraught and almost sad voice.

"How could you have beaten me? how? a new golden age..."

His eyes swivelled to El Heraldo.

"I have serpent blood in me, robber!" he answered "I always had a talent for the sorcerous arts. I could feel the blood calling to me. My superior intellect and insight, combined with methodical research and examination of the rarest and most exquisite tomes of arcane lore soon divined the truth. Now, I serve as one of them muahahaha!"

He coughed again.

"You may have beaten me today, but the day will come when the people of the snake rise once more, and put you slaves in place!"

Agnes paused a little just above the chain. The whole wanting to be found made her nervous it reminded her of the whole One Ring thing from Lord of the Rings. And she wasn’t exactly keen on being the Chains equivalent to Gollum.

But there was a good chance that they need this bloody thing to get home and she was ready to live another lifetime stuck in the past without her iPhone and Mocha coffees, amongst much more personal items…

Trying to minimize the contact between her and chain she gingerly pick it up and made back towards the surface.

"

"I have serpent blood in me, robber!"
"

Subito looked at the man in front of him with no little shock. Staring at him silently for a few moments he managed "Serpent blood? You mean...you're related to those Serpent People somehow?" he wasn't able to keep the revulsion from his voice "Don't tell me how that happened. But I gotta ask:" he squatted down nearby the magician and asked bluntly "Why do they want slaves? What do they gain from it that swallowing their pride and joining forces with us wouldn't get them even more? What do they get out of digging themselves deeper and deeper into the pit of being our eternal enemies?" he asked the question with real curiosity, his reaction at finding out about the blood in Lorenzo's veins gradually forgotten as this new idea presented itself to him.

GM

As Young Brittania touched the Chains of Lemuria, she could feel a coldness, an insipid voice inside her mind.

Yessss...Yesss.....feel the power. The chains.....use them....use them....you can make anybody obey you...the chains can make anybody be you sssssslave....yesssss.....yessss.....

The voice was not so much heard, as understood. She could instictively feel the power of the chains in her hands, both light and heavy at once. They were an instrument, allowing the holder to command any who fell to the touch, to break the will. She could feel the power, seductive. And she knew, somehow, that the power was real, a power she could command.

The voice which was not a voice grew stronger as she rose to the surface. It was not quelled by its promixity to its previous owner. The chains had no loyalty, they merely served as commanded by its holder.

GM

"Why do they want slaves? What do they gain from it that swallowing their pride and joining forces with us wouldn't get them even more? What do they get out of digging themselves deeper and deeper into the pit of being our eternal enemies?"

"Yes, I have serpent blood in me, fool! and I am proud of it! I belong to the true masters of the world!" he said, almost laughing at El Heraldo's ignorance.

"You really are unspeakably foolish, human. Do you not know of the Serpent People? they are here, there, everywhere. Their eyes all around you. We have infiltrated your society, and by Set and the Unspeakable one, we will crush it and be masters once again!"

"You ask why? it is destiny. It is our nature to rule, and yours to serve, just as you did aeons ago. Do not resist your nature, slave. Are you not truly more content in servitude? do you not serve now? to a fickle, chaotic and infested world?"

The siren song of the chain didn’t exactly fall of deaf ears. Not long ago Agnes was a complete diva who cared nothing except what she wanted. And the Spirit of Justice? Well people forget that with justice there was someone had to do all the messy business. And real justice, the justice the spirit represented, didn’t always happen in a clean courtroom.

“So you’re a half-breed? That must really burn that you're not a pure blood.†It was meant to sound off the cuff but the tone was harsher than she had intended.

“Let’s go I want to be somewhere much safer than this as soon as possible.â€

GM

Lorenzo Vile coughed, a few specks of blood coming out from a bloodied jaw. He gingerly felt his left rib cage, his breathing laboured.

“So you’re a half-breed? That must really burn that you're not a pure blood.â€

"I have enough of the serpent in me, slave" he retorted, his eyes flashing anger at the nerve that had been touched. His mouth twisted slightly, full of cruelty.

"And there are other things that flow in my veins, child. The likes of which are beyond your imagination, and which I will not speak!" he said defiantly.

“Let’s go I want to be somewhere much safer than this as soon as possible.â€

He sneered.

"And where will you be going slave?" he laughed "You didn't think of that, did you? Off the cold coast of Fang and their mongrol deep one clan. In a century without electricity let alone time travel. Yes, tell me, what exactly is your plan? you may have the strength, but not the guile. Your lives remain mine to command! only I can return back to our hometime!"

Agnes gave a wicked little smile. “Wow you’re so caught up in your little World of Hate you have no idea exactly who we are. We’re bloody embodiments of spirits that have existed down the ages. I’ve personally known at least two Master Mages. The one active now should be able to help us out just fine.†She was pacing and waving her arms wildly she was unashamedly showing off “Or I can just drop a message to my past self, get them to send one of the Time traveling heroes to pick us up. I could even pull a Bill and Ted and just pick up a time belt we’d had planted earlier.â€

Okay maybe she didn’t have quite that much pull among the hero community, but it felt nice to deflate the idiots ego.

“You know maybe I was wrong, maybe we should leave you for the villagers. It means one less person around to mess about with the timeline.â€

The scary part was she wasn’t quite sure if she’d meant it as a threat or a promise.

GM

“Wow you’re so caught up in your little World of Hate you have no idea exactly who we are. We’re bloody embodiments of spirits that have existed down the ages. â€

"So that's your little secret, is it?" smiled Vile, looking at both of the heroes. He looked interested but ultimately unimpressed.

“I’ve personally known at least two Master Mages. The one active now should be able to help us out just fine.Or I can just drop a message to my past self, get them to send one of the Time traveling heroes to pick us up. I could even pull a Bill and Ted and just pick up a time belt we’d had planted earlier.â€

Vile frowned slightly, annoyed that Young Brittania may have indeed found a way. "Broken Crow? And how will you find him?" he said, trying to inject uncertainty into her.

“You know maybe I was wrong, maybe we should leave you for the villagers. It means one less person around to mess about with the timeline.â€

"The villagers of Fang? feeble inbred half bloods!" he spat "useful for their purpose, and in their own warped way, they understood the ancient histories of the world. And kept the chains safe when the empire of Lemuria fell. By all means, leave me to them...see what happens! they know their place!" he growled.

Subito had been busy digesting Lorenzo's words when Agnes had re-appeared with the Chains of Lemuria. Giving her a wave he listened as the two argued, eyes flicking back and forth as they spoke. He gave a sigh of relief when he learned that Young Britannia knew a way to return to their own time. I never even thought about that part he admitted to himself, rolling his eyes as the Blue Dame retorted None are surprised..though I confess to have been focused over-much on our central aim as well. A lesson for us both he gave a nod directed at the Spirit of Justice "A man named Broken Crow? I admit, I have never heard of him. Well, I dare say somebody will know where he is, might as well start" he turned to Lorenzo with a thoughtful look "I don't really think we should leave him here. Like he said, these people are of the same allegiance as him, no sense handing one of their strongest fighters back" lifting up the servant of the Serpent People, h carefully draped the man over his left shoulder "I say we take him with us, as he is he won't be nearly as dangerous if we keep our eyes on him, and he ought to answer for his crimes done in our period of history. Leaving him to rot in the past, even among people like him, would just be petty" he shrugged "Maybe there's more to it than that but I wouldn't know. What d'you say?" he asked Agnes seriously.

Wait what was she thinking? Maybe this chain was having more of an effect on her than she realized. With some effort she put the chain in her bag and sent it to whatever dimension it all went, hopefully far enough away to reduce it influence.

“Yeah of cause, just make sure he’s properly bound and preferably gagged. All his babbling is giving me a headache. I’m not sure where Broken Crow is, last I remember him was in the 18th Century. We might be able to put a call out on the Astral Plane for him, but I’m still fatigued from everything that’s happened today and I’d prefer to do it behind the Union lines.â€

Subito nodded, he wanted to get this done with as quickly as possible. The past was turning out to be a rather grimmer place than he had thought it would.

In an instant, the sorcerer was secured, the Banner's flag stretching out to curl snugly around his arms and legs, holding him fast. Placing the flagpole in its ring on his back, EL Heraldo nodded shortly to Young Britannia "Alright, I am ready. Let's go find someplace safe to rest" he said wearily, floating into the air and following the Spirit of Justice where she led.

This'll be the easy part, right? Returning will totally be as easy as coming to this time, right? he thought hopefully as he rushed through the air

Doubtless it will not came the solemn reply.

GM

"You will never succeed!" said Vile, as the banner bound and gagged him.

"I will reclaim the chains! I will turn this world, this war, back to slavery once more! the spirit of slavery will overcome your pathetic light of free..do...mmmff mmmff mmff MMMF MMMF MMMF!" he shouted, frustrated at the gag.

With Vile in tow, the two heroes set off south, to the border.

Watching above them, looking down on the cold dark beach, the villagers of Fang watched in silence, until their leader, battered and bruised by his futile fight with them, opened his mouth.

"The holy chains have been taken" he said, with words slow and cold.

"Send word. Let the snake people of the south know. Let the cult of the coldblood know...."

With that, the villagers silently filed away back to the desolate village of Fang.