The Black Smith (PL 12 NPC, Tier 1)

Quickness specifically does not apply to the Crafting phase of Artificer/Inventor (since you can't Take 20 on those parts), only the Design part (on which you can Take 20). The only way to speed up the Crafting phase of Artificer/Invention is to A] jury-rigging, or B] buy the Gadgets or Shapeshift power and fluff it as "making things really fast."

And if he's to have Devices as a regular part of him, and not just one-shot things, they should actually be bought.

Before looking any further at this, I must ask: why is this being submitted? What purpose will he serve here?

two reasons

1) He should represent a darker counterpart of Weaver. While he is about crafting art and has a general "flowing fabric" theme, the Black Smith is about crafting weapons and has a "rigid metal" theme. They are counterpart also in the way the Weaver is a socially active man that tries to improve the life of his fellow citizens, while the Smith has that "old fashioned" set of values that pushes him to war and conquest, with little regard for his fellow human being.

2) I like making NPCs and I see myself creating and running adventures based around defeating this guy. He has a fortress, minions of his own, and several possible plot hooks. He can have rivalry with super-scientists and with many magic-based heroes.

As for the crunch part, I don't see why he should have Gadgets: he brings one/two weapons and one set of armor each time he hits a target, so it's hardly Variable. He may have all of them available in his Headquarters, but even then he'd have to be in the storage room and spend time changing; and the weapons and armors would be available to anyone.

The Quickness could very well be dropped without losing much, for this character. It was meant to represent true mastery of the way of forging, but nothing ridicoulous like crafting an item with a Full Action! He can't come up with new devices on the spot, unless he retreats to his fortress. There's really notthat much magic in what he does, just a lot of skill.

• 2 weeks later...

As for the crunch part, I don't see why he should have Gadgets: he brings one/two weapons and one set of armor each time he hits a target, so it's hardly Variable. He may have all of them available in his Headquarters, but even then he'd have to be in the storage room and spend time changing; and the weapons and armors would be available to anyone.

The Quickness could very well be dropped without losing much, for this character. It was meant to represent true mastery of the way of forging, but nothing ridicoulous like crafting an item with a Full Action! He can't come up with new devices on the spot, unless he retreats to his fortress. There's really notthat much magic in what he does, just a lot of skill.

If he's going be bringing Devices to every encounter, they need to be represented on his sheet somehow, and not just as the Artificer feat.

Much better.

I would like a bit of explanation on something, though. I know I told you that Gadgets build was alright when you presented it to me in Chat, but I've been thinking on it since then, and have one concern. Please explain how the Flaw Limited (Medieval Apparel) is a Flaw.

Much better.

I would like a bit of explanation on something, though. I know I told you that Gadgets build was alright when you presented it to me in Chat, but I've been thinking on it since then, and have one concern. Please explain how the Flaw Limited (Medieval Apparel) is a Flaw.

well, I went with it since you told me it was ok in chat. Since points aren't an issue with NPCs I can take it out and leave the "medieval apparel" as a flavour thing.

• 3 weeks later...