Nightmare at 200,000 feet (OOC)

Supercape

OK I am awarding a +5 Situational Bonus to that for various reasons!

So 17

vs

1d20+8=16

You have its attention!

The rules have always (to me) seemed unclear about exactly when a target of fascinate gets another will check."Ends when the targets overcomes it..."

I suggest this is just handled as a speed of PLOT thing, every now and again it gets another Will save.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all falling apart!

So temperature wise its time for both Dok and Kristen to make a DC 10 Fortitude Check! (Dok's coat has protected him thus far!).

Glow can you make a DC 10 Reflex check or follow Yvonne tumbling to the back of the plane (fudging the rules slightly here as its not that material. You may substitute your acrobatics skills quite reasonably for this check).

The oxygen is thinning rapidly. Again, I don't want to get too technical about this, but I may call for some fort saves at some point from both of you if you don't breath some oxygen or exert yourself, etc. the Endurance Feat will add +4/rank to such rolls if/when they come (in the spirit of the feat and "holding breath!").

Characters are welcome to make Knowledge (Physical Sciences) Rolls for the effects of decompression mechanically, and Knowledge (Life Sciences) for its effect on humans. These are primarily for the sake of fluff, so use your common sense (although they might justify certain bonuses later etc etc)!

(Appreciate lots of rules fudging there, hope thats ok in the spirit of the game!).

Fort save (1d20+4=8) Fails!

But he cannot succumb -- he must not succumb! So pop an HP (4 now), minimum result's a 15, so he passes.

With Dok's current mindset (on Enhanced CHA) and no tools, he's at +16 on Knowledge (Life Science) and (Physical Science).

Knowledge (Life Sciences) check (1d20+16=35) He not only knows what being up here unprotected will do to us, he knows how to bioengineer a life form capable of surviving up here with no problem! (Which he apparently already did!)

Knowledge (Physical Sciences) check (1d20+16=25) not as good, but definitely up there!

Fort save: 1d20+6=14

Glow has +10 acrobatics so she can automatically pass the reflex save right?

I'm going to skip the knowledge rolls and just assume that Kristin knows that decompression at this altitude is a bad thing. Because that should be fairly obvious to pretty much anyone I'd have though. She's not a sciencey type but she has common sense to tell her that.

She also wants to do something about it. Can she stunt some kind of life-support bubble around the plane off her telekinesis array? I don't know what that would be mechanically though, something like immunity 9 (Life support) + affects others?

THats fine re: Knowledge Rolls, Scuffles. Unless you had a particularly dense INT, Decompression = bad is pretty standard knowledge! (DC 0 Knowledge roll I guess ;) )

Stunting a life support bubble would be fine (I suppose technically the oxygen would run out eventually...!).

There are a variety of ways of doing this. To be honest I have always felt a little unsure about the immunity to poison and disease ones - I mean, I can understand filtering out poison gas in a space suit, but would that protect against a poisoned arrow for instance? It always itches, that one...

Anyway.

Your Force Field has 11 PP so you could stunt something like

1. Immunity (Life Support) 9, Affects others, Burst Area, Limited: Distracting, Duration (Concentration).

Which would protect everybody, but you lose dodge bonus and need to take standard actions (or move action with Concentration DC 19 roll) to maintain. This probably sounds most like what you are looking for.

2. Immunity (Life Support) 9, Affects others, Limited: Distracting, Feats Progression 2 (5 Others)

Protecting up to 5 people you touch, losing your dodge bonus.

Alternatively you could reduce some of the ranks in Immunity, so its just Suffocation and Environmental Affects (Immunity 7) which sounds quite plausible, or even just Suffocation (Immunity 2) if you just want to trap the oxygen around the plane. #

Immunity 2 (Suffocation) Extras: Affects Others, Area (Burst) for 6 PP.

UP says the "extending force field to protect/provide Immunity for others" trick is done with Affects Others and Area [burst], so... not really sure if Progression would be used to increase the number of individuals protected (as for Affects Others) or the size of the protective field (as for Area).

If it's just by Area, she could conceivably make a field big enough to encompass the entire aircraft!

I always thought as UP.. Ie if you affect others with area effect everyone gets the bonus! Meaning progression affects others is not applicable.

In any case it sounds cool!

Immunity 4 (cold, Low pressure, suffocation) extras affect others, burst, flaws distracting for 8 PP... A bubble encasing the plane!

thatas a 40 ft radius bubble, but you could get progression area feat 3 to expand it up to 400 feet as you desire.

This ok for you Scuffles? If so post away.

Gremlin Slashes at Glow from Behind!

1d20+14=23 is a hit!

DC 19 Toughness Save please!

I would like to make this lethal damage - the reason being Gremlin is a nasty little piece of work, and I should add that he will not kill. Arguably the difference between lethal and non lethal is rather minimal in this situation, but I think it reflects him quite well. Added to that, his Damage Bonus is only +4!.

Dok if you would like to keep this non lethal thats fine by me. Gremlin feels like the kind of nasty little nipper who would do low grade lethal damage to me (and you know I wont get Iron Age on this!).

NB: Scuffles, DC 14 Concentration check if you are damaged to maintain the bubble!

Flat footed and without her force field Glow saves at +2.

Toughness save: 8 is pretty bad so we'll have another go.

Toughness save reroll: 8 again would be bad but +10 on the reroll makes 18 which isn't so bad.

Concentration check: 6+7=13. Oh come on, what's with the all the sixes?

I'll reroll that too, which can't fail at +7 when the reroll +10 is taken into account.

Gremlin:

Standard Action: Slice Kristen

1d20+12=26

Another DC 19 Toughness save and DC 14 COncentration save for Glow.

Move Action: Gallop to the hole in the plane at the rear.

Round 2:

18 - Glow - Injured, Fatigued, 2 Hero Points

18 - Dok - Uninjured, 4 Hero Points

11 - Gremlin - Uninjured

NB: I am awarding Glow a Hero Point for acting so heroically - keeping up her force feild around the plane to save everybody whilst being slashed at!

Alright, here's my tentative plan, assuming the round stats with him popping up out of the ductwork:

Last Round (while crawling through ductwork)

Free Action: Extra Effort to stunt a new effect off his Enhanced Mind Nanites.

Drain Toughness 10 (Extra: Affects Objects, Linked [Damage]; Flaw: Side-Effect; PF: Improved Critical) {11PP} + Damage 10 (Extra: Linked [Drain Toughness]; Flaw: Side-Effect) {5PP} {11+5=16/16PP}
    Side Effect: Damage 5 (Extra: Alternate Save [Fort]) {10} + Nauseate 11 {22) {10+22=32/32)
    Descriptor: Reprogrammed nanites in body (via his own Datalink) to be more aggressive in attacking invaders (which includes his own harmless gut bacteria), then using a syringe to draw off some of his blood and inject it into the Gremlin, so they attack it from the inside-out)

Move Action: to switch to the new setting

Move Action: Hustle along to the others

This Round

Starts off Fatigued

Reaction: Spend HP to remove Fatigue; 3 HP now

Move Action: Dash over to the pile o' Equipment in Dok's seat.

Free Action: Quick Draw to pick up a syringe.

Technically it's a Move Action to load a weapon, but since the 'ammo' is coming from Dok's stunt, which he already spent a Move action on last round switching to, should this be a non-Action thing?

Standard Action: Attack ze Gremlin

Attack; All-Out Attack (-2 Def, +2 Attk) (1d20+10=15)

Hrm, no, think I'll use an HP to re-roll that

Attack; All-Out Attack (-2 Def, +2 Attk); HP re-roll (1d20+10=25) much better!

Now the Side-Effects (and since I used an HP to re-roll this round, I cannot use an HP to re-roll any of these!)

Fort saves vs. Damage (DC 20) and Nauseate (DC 21) (1d20+4=12, 1d20+4=6) :shock:

Damage one fails by 8, so he's Bruised & Dazed. Must have nicked a major nerve when drawing blood.

Nauseate one fails by 15 -- that puts him at Helpless! He falls to the ground, probably quite messily.

2 HP, Bruised, Dazed, Helpless!