I don't speak Australian

Lilac

I just finished watching a sweet little short film that was made in Australia. The actresses (complete amateurs) have accents so thick, I can't hardly understand them sometimes. There is a key line that is repeated throughout the film to which one of the actresses answers "no." And I swear when she says "no," it is two syllables (at least) and it rhymes with "sly".

The accent is really cute (just like Barnum's southern drawl), but I was surprised. It's not the Australian accent I hear on TV or in the movies.

Just thought I'd share. :D

I just finished watching a sweet little short film that was made in Australia. The actresses (complete amateurs) have accents so thick, I can't hardly understand them sometimes. There is a key line that is repeated throughout the film to which one of the actresses answers "no." And I swear when she says "no," it is two syllables (at least) and it rhymes with "sly".

The accent is really cute (just like Barnum's southern drawl), but I was surprised. It's not the Australian accent I hear on TV or in the movies.

Hmmm - I'd say they're from the north, it's like they speak a whole other language up there, unlike the refined south, where I'm from :D

What was the film called?

Hmmm - I'd say they're from the north, it's like they speak a whole other language up there, unlike the refined south, where I'm from :D

What was the film called?

It reminds of this cartoon:

It's hard to believe they used to make cartoons like that. :shock:

Sooooooo politically incorrect. :D

And for the record my people are from the north, waaaaaay above the Mason-Dixon Line. In fact, my grandparents were born on about the same longitudinal line as Quebec. :D

Does that make me a Yankee? I doubt it. Since my family moved to the US we've lived in southern VA or further south . . . :D

. . . ya'll.

It reminds of this cartoon:

It's hard to believe they used to make cartoons like that. :shock:

Sooooooo politically incorrect. :D

And for the record my people are from the north, waaaaaay above the Mason-Dixon Line. In fact, my grandparents were born on about the same longitudinal line as Quebec. :D

Does that make me a Yankee? I doubt it. Since my family moved to the US we've lived in southern VA or further south . . . :D

. . . ya'll.

I'm probably not far from you, Barnum :twisted:

I've lived in North Carolina all my life (lived about 25 miles south of the VA border for a good part of it), but I've never had much of an accent. I've even had some out-of-state met-on-the-internet friends who were surprised at my lack of an accent when hearing me speak for the first time!

I'm probably not far from you, Barnum :twisted:

I've lived in North Carolina all my life (lived about 25 miles south of the VA border for a good part of it), but I've never had much of an accent. I've even had some out-of-state met-on-the-internet friends who were surprised at my lack of an accent when hearing me speak for the first time!

I love a good Southern accent meself; I've got a mild version of the flat, nasal Chicagoan's accent, though occasionally a bit of my family's Western Pennsylvanian creeps in, which is funny since I was born and raised in Illinois :D

I saw an interview with Yvonne Strahovski fron Sydney (star of TV's Chuck), and her accent is very cool; she pronounces 'no' as 'no-er.' :love:

I love a good Southern accent meself; I've got a mild version of the flat, nasal Chicagoan's accent, though occasionally a bit of my family's Western Pennsylvanian creeps in, which is funny since I was born and raised in Illinois :D

I saw an interview with Yvonne Strahovski fron Sydney (star of TV's Chuck), and her accent is very cool; she pronounces 'no' as 'no-er.' :love:

I have a Delaware accent. Whether or not I have a southern drawl depends on how far north I am. All of my cousins friends on Stanton Island think I have a southern accent. Anyone I've ever met from the south thinks I lack an accent. I grew up about about 40 minutes away from Philly though, so I don't think I have one.

I have a Delaware accent. Whether or not I have a southern drawl depends on how far north I am. All of my cousins friends on Stanton Island think I have a southern accent. Anyone I've ever met from the south thinks I lack an accent. I grew up about about 40 minutes away from Philly though, so I don't think I have one.