The job OOC

cosmicarus

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. I sort of figured after they all started melting that they weren't putting up too much resistance. Heavy knows that he saw other demons outside (back when he thought they were still human clones), but it's probably safer out there still for Kirk than it is in the middle of a super-villain smackdown.

Yeah. I sort of figured after they all started melting that they weren't putting up too much resistance. Heavy knows that he saw other demons outside (back when he thought they were still human clones), but it's probably safer out there still for Kirk than it is in the middle of a super-villain smackdown.

I'm a little sorry that that attack didn't do more than another bruise. How come I roll well for my villains, but my PC's are getting knocked around the four corners of space? *sigh*

Anyways, I was going to try something here, and you have the choice.The attack I've statted is a cone attack, but instead of the Reflex save, I've used a Will save, and instead of a Toughness save I've used a Fort save. The DC is 23.

If you're uncomfortable with that, I'm happy to use the normal toughness and reflex saves, no problem.

I think I'm ok with that. It works to my favor for the Will portion, if a bit against me with the Fortitude. My one question is whether it will be affecting Adam Kirk. I'm not sure if I can tell now, but if he starts screaming out in pain and his head melts, Heavy'll feel even worse. He's the one witness to Heavy not being a complete psycho here.

Failed the Will save by a little (21), but nailed the Fortitude save (28).

Oh, and regarding whether Kirk is affected - I'd be willing to spend a hero point and effectively get Interpose (if we ignore the fact that he isn't next to Kirk right now), and make another pair of saves to protect him from the 1000 souls of pain-bringing.

Yeah, Heavy's a regular softie when it comes to not letting his victims get too victimized.

Since I don't need to spend that hero point to protect Kirk (for now), I'm up for something a little more exciting. Since I hate fights where it's just a matter of punching/blasting the enemy until they fall down, I'd like to AP my Gravity Control as follows. I remember that I had 20 pp in there to use.

Drain 8 (Strength) (8 pp) Linked To

Drain 8 (Super-Strength) (8 pp) Linked to

Gravity Control 12 (Flaws: Down-Only, Touch Range, No Area) (4 pp)

The descriptor of this is focusing all of the gravitic pull that he could normally do into a much smaller space, including pulling inside of the demon. It's something that he wouldn't normally use because he doesn't want to kill anyone, and he doesn't have as much control to ensure that he doesn't do that. Thankfully, demons and evil murderous magicians don't ping on his moral radar.

Because it's no longer an area effect, my tradeoff on offense can come into effect. The demon-man makes a Fortitude save versus the Drains, and the Gravity Control has its usual effect, being resisted by Strength. I'll post assuming this is ok; if not, let me know and I will come up with something else.

(Heavy will be fatigued after this - no need to spend the hero point immediately, at least not until I see the result)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, going back over everything via links and comments in OOC, I think I have a fairly good idea of whats going on here, but I'm still puzzling out some stats for the baddies. I was hoping to post here tonight, but it's getting a bit late and I have a long 7 or 8 hour drive tomorrow. I think I will be able to post something on Sunday, sorry this is taking so darn long, Herid :(

In reference to your special attack (which is pretty darn cool, by the way), I don't think your Drain will affect his STR save this round, since the effects are essentially simultaneous, but it would effect him on his initiative round and therefore your next attack. Do you still want to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Gravity Control doesn't actually require a Strength check unless the target has an insufficient amount of Strength to remain standing and is trying to make an action. By that time, it should already be affected by the Drains. Are you saying that it would be unaffected by the Drains until my next turn?

Ok, since we discussed this in the chats, I'm okay with this use of your power, but I have one last question before I post, and I'm sorry to be such a weenie. As described both in the post and in the IC die roll page, this sounds like a punch/melee attack, but in the OOC this sounds like a Gravity Attack linked with a Strength drain. I'm just trying to figure out A) how the demon would resist this, and B) how to describe it if he doesn't.

First, I need to succeed on a melee attack to hit the demon critter. Everything else that follows assumes that I hit.

The Strength/Super-Strength Drain gets resisted by a regular Fortitude save (a single one, since the powers are Linked). If the demon succeeds, neither of the Drains take effect, and it has its full Strength available against my Gravity Control. If it fails, it loses the corresponding amount of ranks and (hopefully) gets knocked to the ground where it has to make Strength checks to take a move or standard action, with regular movement being limited to crawling.

In terms of description, imagine every muscle in your body being pulled up, down, and side-to-side very quickly. It weakens you, even as the bulk of the power is crushing you into the ground. Heavy's got some energy crackling, and he's centering around his fist, since he's conducting the gravitons needed to pull off the effect.