Venture into the Forest(IC)

"Good plan! Here are the legs, I'll take the rest" Subito said briskly, swinging the metal bulk carefully into his comrade's waiting arms before securing his own handholds on the jerking thing and leading the way back into the freight elevator, all but punching the button to begin the long drop back down into the factory.

Letting his end down to stand it up facing the rear wall, the powerfully-built Hispanic leaned an elbow on it, talking evenly to Serge over the rattles and jolts of the slowly descending lift "So, how do you want to wreck their weapons-making thing? Want me to just smash up the conveyers, block the weapons from getting into those bins?"

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serge had let the rest of the robot to the ground slowly. When Subito asked him about how he should better go about wrecking the conveyers, Serge turned his head facing his friend, all the while curiously perching one of his eyebrows as he tried to process what his friend was asking him. "... Eeeh... I don't know? Does it matter? Just blast the blasted thing! If it stops working, and requires at least extensive repairs to become operational again, I think that would count as a win." Serge said as he went to grab the robot's legs again, while the elevator arrived at the bottom floor.

With a slow nod, Subito took up his section of the robot, following Serge back through the base until they reached the dank hallways leading to the the factory floors. Redonning the mantle of El Heraldo, Subito carefully put their cargo down, and zoomed off into the pulsing, thundering factory interior, searching for the best place to start busting things up.

He found it in a chokepoint where the finished weapons were shuttled up to the conveyer belt. Apparently the different kinds of rifles, pistols and other small arms were made in different plants throughout the factory, their tracks all leading to one central belt that led to the dumping point the two had already seen.

It was the work of a moment to tear the tough but aged metal to peices, leading to a quickly growing pileup of firearms at the intersection as the guns were dumped down onto the wrecked and now immobile transport. After that, he made his golden and blue way throughout the lower reaches of the factory, dismantling the engines powering the refineries and drilling machines before returning.

El Heraldo dusted off his very grimy hands and flew back to Net Fly's side, landing with a look of distaste as he inspected a broad, oily smear on his costume "This'll come off if I change back, right?" he asked Serge "Anyway, this place won't be shipping out more weapons anytime soon."

Serge kicked back and relaxed while Subito got to working on making the weapons manufacturing machine, well, unworkable. For a moment there, a, admitedly very small, part of Serge wondered what could be accomplished by making modifications to the facility at large, including the conveyer belt. It was immediately silenced by the sound of a gun opening fire. Meh. Good riddance, I say.

"Wow, you really did a number on that machine, eh?"

"This'll come off if I change back, right?"

"Pfff! How should I know? They're YOUR powers, you know." He jested with exaggerated motions. "Way I figure it, they're not strictly bound under the laws of physics and such."

"Anyway, this place won't be shipping out more weapons anytime soon."

Savoring the moment, Serge replied "You know what, Subito? I don't think I've ever heard you speak more beautiful words, my friend! Now let's get out of here. This place is starting to get on my nerves."

GM

In only a few minutes of effort, the two were back at the entrance to the strange factory. the deer skull hadn't been moved from where it fell, theworld outside was even colder than it had been before, and from the look of the grey sky it would soon be coming on noon. A sharp wind was blowing, which eased small drifts of powdery snow into the door chamber where it unceremoniously fell into the swiftly-running stream beneath the grate making up the odd cave.

Serge started stretching as soon as they were out, in the fresh air. He really felt the change in scenery, in contrast with the closed, abandoned enviroment behind them. "Alright, then. Let's dig in!" Dropping his backpack on the ground, he opened it and scavenged it for his food; Two pre-heated toasts, made up of three slices of bread each, with slices of Gouda cheese and boiled turkey, wrapped in nylon. "I think that, in the end, not grilling the toasts was for the better. I don't know, but the cool air has opened my apetite for something fresh, if not cold, rather than heated."

Serge also took out a can of Coca Cola, that he left unopened for the time being. Unwrapping the first of his toasts, he took it with one hand, and he extended it towards Subito. He was just about to say Cheers, when he suddenly stopped, realising exactly what he was doing. "... So... I'm about to perform a toast... with a toast... I don't know about you Subito, but even I think this borders on lame... Oh well. Cheers, my friend!"

Digging a meticulously bread-wrapped cylinder of meat, vegetables and cheeses out of his own backpack, Subito laughed openly at Serge's offering

"Lame, but I agree with it! Toasting really should be done with actual toast more often anyway. Cheers Surge!" he said, taking out a stout water-bottle and tapping the neck against the soft-drink can's rim. Sipping briefly between bites of the vast roll, the stocky youth considered their situation. Raising a slightly salsa-smeared face he asked "So..we head north, to wherever or whatever is sending that signal, right?" He frowned a little "So..what d'you think we'll find there?"

"So..we head north, to wherever or whatever is sending that signal, right? So..what d'you think we'll find there?"

"I have... No idea whatsoever. We may find nothing, we may find more breadcrumbs to follow, or we may find an evil sorcerous cult hell-bent on bringing about the apocalypse by harneshing the power of computers in order to summon demons!" Serge responded, making exaggerated motions to emphasize his words. Returning to his toast, he continued to take bites with ceremonial timing and precision. "To tell the truth, I'm more interested in what our principal will have to say about our little escapade."

an evil sorcerous cult hell-bent on bringing about the apocalypse by harneshing the power of computers in order to summon demons!"

Subito stared at Serge for a few seconds with a mouth full of wrap. Swallowing loudly and gulping back another mouthful of water he said in total disbelief "Man, sometimes your ideas really scare me, and realizing that you could be right about that? Pretty terrifying." He ate in silence, nodding at his schoolmate's comment about what Summers would think of all this. His eyes slowly worked their way over the ground into the cave, where they alighted on the broken skull "Me too," he said quietly "it'd be pretty good to know what we ought to have done, and what we did right with this, and I wonder what it's a relic of? Some old factory used by the Crime League? Whatever, it doesn't really matter, but I still wanna at least have an idea who made it and so on" he glanced over at Serge, blinking a little at the slight glare fromt he sun reflecting off the fallen snow "What about you Surge?"

He had finished his wrap, and was beginning to stow the trash in a laboriously-made extra sleeve his backpack, meticulously cleaning his lips and face of food debris as he went.

Serge could only nod in agreement, as he found himself to engorged wolfing down the last toast. He cleaned himself of the crumbs, and collected the nylons back into a shopping plastic bag, that he tucked away inside his backpack. Opening the still cool Coca Cola can, he took a few sips, as he got up. "Aaaahhhh... that's the stuff!" he exclaimed, as he savored the carbonated feeling in his mouth. "Well, I think it's time to call mr Summers."

Subito nodded shortly "Good thinking, at least if the next place has some kind of horrible booby trap or giant demon summoned by ancient computers with like 20MB of RAM and thus horribly cranky, he'll know what we were up to. Let's head back!" he said cheerily, leaping to his feet, swinging his arms through the loops of his backpack and walking briskly for a few feet before stopping short, a sudden realization hitting him "Hey, Surge..what about your phone? Didn't you show me once how you could boost its signal range or something? Or will that not work with that..whatever that's messing with battery-powered stuff?"

Serge had come to an abrupt end as soon as Subito mentioned the battery failure. A loud noise was heard, not unlike a smack. "... Oh... Riiiight... that...." There appeared a weird, reddish mark on Serge's forehead, one whose shape, upon closer inspection, looked suspisiously similar to an open palm, held at 30 to 45 degrees. "I totally forgot! Man, what is wrong with me? I'm off my game, Subito, I'm telling you!" He half joked at his friend. Giving it a few seconds of thought, he said. "Ok, let's head back to the cave, for a bit, and into the facility. I could find something lying down and make use to it, if you give me some time. Or we could just head back to the lodge, I suppose. I mean, there MUST be a telephone for us to use there, right? But I'm worried we won't be able to find our way back here as easily."

Turning sharply at the sound of his pal's facepalming, Subito shook a stern finger at him "Hey, don't go doing that! You learn from mistakes, not from hittin' yourself. But yeah, that's a good point, it would be a little hard to find the place after going all the way back then returning here...how about this: we go back to the lodge and use the phone, I'll stick my backpack up on..that tree there" he pointed to a lofty pine waving above their heads "then we just follow this trail back, and look for the tree with my backpack at its top, how's that for a solution?" he asked with a bizarre sense of triumph.

Serge thought about it. Subito's proposal certainly sounded attractive, but there was still a nagging feeling in the back of his head. "Mmmmmmmno, no, the wind may pick up, or an animal may reach the bag and cause it to fall on the ground, even if it's securely stappled up there... but you're certainly ON to something there... hmmm... Ok! How about this, then? We split up- You will go back to the lodge and call in mr Summers, and I'll wait for the both of you here. You know, put my mask on, and keep close to the air, where you can spot me easily. I mean, it's not like we both need to make the phone call, right?"

Thinking about it a bit more, however, Serge decided against the idea. "Nah... on second thought, principal Summers may have too heavy a workload to spare us a visit here in the middle of nowhere... okay, how about instead, I use some spare parts from my suit to create a makeshift transmitter? We won't need to see it, just so long as it is safely hidden. After that, we both go straight back to the academy, and inform mr Summers of our findings. How's it sound?"

Subito stopped mid-stride. Turning around back to Serge he walked up and put his arms on the other boy's shoulders. "Surge? Stuff like that makes me glad we're friends. That's a great idea, buddy! I'll help you get the stuff together, if there's anythin' you don't have right here."

After the signalling device was built, the two soared back to Freedom City, the chill winds whipping at them harshly. Subito was impervious to the cold, and lent Serge his coat and scarf to help keep him comfortable. In a matter of minutes, the two landed discreetly in a street not far from the Academy, and walked casually through the gates. Luckily, Headmaster Summers was still in his office and accepting student visitors. After a brief wait in the reception room, the two arrived at his door...

Knocking politely before entering, Subito waited on nervous feet for a reply. "Er...you think we missed anything we shouldn't have? I can't think of anything else we could really do" he muttered to Serge uneasily. He glanced at the large robot leaning next to him against the wall. At least we didn't forget about that he thought in relief.

• 3 months later...

"Me neither, bro. The transmitter is still in the place we left it, and it's still transmitting the signal to the facility correctly. I think we're covered." Serge noted, as the two young heroes were waitting for permission to enter principal Summers' office. The young man thought back to a few minutes ago, when he built the device. Scavenging for materials was, thankfully, an easy matter for creating a transmitter, thanks to the abundance of circuits in Serge's suit. Unfortunately, this meant that his suit was now functionally nothing more than a piece of cloth with metals here and there. He estimated that repairing it would take a week, more or less. Oh well, It will give me some much needed time to re-spec it. he thought to himself.