Question Concerning Alternate Form and Device.

Kaissen

A character concept popped into my head, and I was curious how to arrange the Powers so as to avoid the ire of the Refs for an inadvertant exploit.

has an object that must be on hand in order to activate their alter ego, and is easily stolen. Where the confusion comes in is, their alter ego is only a projection a la Alternate Form, and their actual body falls asleep.

So, do I give the character themself a Device with the Alternate Form power within the Device, or only a Device with the alter ego's powers and add a fluff "regular identity falls asleep", or only the Alternate Form?

My apologies if this is a less-than-intelligent question, but when dealing with Powers that output more PP than input, I'd really like to be careful.

A character concept popped into my head, and I was curious how to arrange the Powers so as to avoid the ire of the Refs for an inadvertant exploit.

has an object that must be on hand in order to activate their alter ego, and is easily stolen. Where the confusion comes in is, their alter ego is only a projection a la Alternate Form, and their actual body falls asleep.

So, do I give the character themself a Device with the Alternate Form power within the Device, or only a Device with the alter ego's powers and add a fluff "regular identity falls asleep", or only the Alternate Form?

My apologies if this is a less-than-intelligent question, but when dealing with Powers that output more PP than input, I'd really like to be careful.

That is an example of Alternate Form with the Projection flaw, along with a Normal Identity drawback. It sounds like the object isn't the source of the power, but is needed to make the transformation.

We did have a discussion elsewhere about the Projection flaw. Basically, it would have to act as a flaw for it to count as a flaw. If you're always leaving your body at home while your super-self goes around being a hero, then it's actually more like an extra, since you can dissolve your projection to escape a bad situation, acting like Teleport (Flaw: One location (self)). Personally, I'd allow Projection as a flaw if the Projection has to touch the unconscious body in order to return to it. That can drive some drama.

That is an example of Alternate Form with the Projection flaw, along with a Normal Identity drawback. It sounds like the object isn't the source of the power, but is needed to make the transformation.

We did have a discussion elsewhere about the Projection flaw. Basically, it would have to act as a flaw for it to count as a flaw. If you're always leaving your body at home while your super-self goes around being a hero, then it's actually more like an extra, since you can dissolve your projection to escape a bad situation, acting like Teleport (Flaw: One location (self)). Personally, I'd allow Projection as a flaw if the Projection has to touch the unconscious body in order to return to it. That can drive some drama.

Must the item remain in hand for the projection/alt form to exist? That is, if she activates it and projects, and while she's off someone sneaks in and removes the device from her body, what happens?

If she just needs the item to activate/deactivate her power, then it might should be done as a Power Drawback, and not worth the full discount Device would give.

Must the item remain in hand for the projection/alt form to exist? That is, if she activates it and projects, and while she's off someone sneaks in and removes the device from her body, what happens?

If she just needs the item to activate/deactivate her power, then it might should be done as a Power Drawback, and not worth the full discount Device would give.

Well, I did some thinking, and it wouldn't have to remain in her possession for the Alternate Form to continue existing, but both her sleeping form and the projection need to touch the item to return her consciousness. It's more of a "key", important only when you need to open the door, than a brace to keep the door open.

But, now that I think about it, that's a neat idea, having her Alt. Form wink out of existence when its taken from her.

Well, I did some thinking, and it wouldn't have to remain in her possession for the Alternate Form to continue existing, but both her sleeping form and the projection need to touch the item to return her consciousness. It's more of a "key", important only when you need to open the door, than a brace to keep the door open.

But, now that I think about it, that's a neat idea, having her Alt. Form wink out of existence when its taken from her.