Third Time Sucky (IC)

2nd January 2012

"Extraordinary!"

Rene stroked his chin, contemplating the words in the obscure tome in front of him. It was hardly his business of course, but the business with Revenant and Nora had always niggled at his sensibilities for some reason.

He had actually popped into the butchers that Nora worked in - not that she was aware of his part in the business of course (or was she? perhaps she was slyer than she looked) - just to keep an eye on her. Her mind was rather frazzled, but she was piecing together her life and her humanity by all accounts.

And now this, some obscure reference to another oddity that had briefly plagued alaska of all places, and quite recently, only thirty years ago. He couldn't quite put his finger on it, but he supposed Revenant should at least know.

He picked up the phone, and stabbed the number in. He was slightly irritated at the whole matter.

"Ah, Madame, it is Rene. How charming to hear your voice. Oui, Oui, happy new year to you, as well. How about you invite me for dinner tonight? I have something to show you..."

"Claret will do nicely, thank you", he added, without being asked.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was only a couple of days until her court date to legally become a citizen again and Lucy was nervous about how the case would go. After another whole day going over all the paper again looking for any flaw in her arguments she was a little frazzled and her normally sunny demeanor had evaporated. So when the telephone rung she was less than pleased.

“WHAT!â€

"Ah, Madame, it is Rene. How charming to hear your voice. Oui, Oui, happy new year to you, as well. How about you invite me for dinner tonight? I have something to show you..."

Her tone softened at the sound of Rene’s voice, and she could probably do with a break.

“Sorry, a Happy New Year to you too! Yes dinner would be a nice diversion.â€

"Claret will do nicely, thank you", he added, without being asked.

She gave a small laugh her bad mood evaporation.

“And we can discuss that dress you owe me. I’ll wear something purple for you. I assume you’d like to dine in your usual haunt?â€

Later, at the Aliments Avenir...

Monsieur Verdoux seemed pleased enough to see Revenant once more and gave her and Rene and side table, somehow once again managing to squeeze two favoured customers into the packed restaurant.

"your dress is in ze post" lied Rene before swiftly moving on "my this wine is splendid! almost as splendid as you my dear!"

He took of his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose, declining the offer of bread from the waitress and ordering a starter of sautéed kidneys followed by plaice and truffles, lightly spiced.

"So..." he began, "any insight into ze business with Nora?"

“Yes when a woman in a fabulous dress tells you something is hinky about a picture you listen to her.†she gave a broad grin “More wine?â€

She topped his glass up with a generous helping of a very expensive Claret. Did they still allow you to wash dishes to pay for a meal?

“I’d try to charm you to find out exactly what you know about Nora, and how you appear to know so much. Occasionally I get these weird feelings about people and thing, like with the painting of Nora, and you my dear Rene are as they say off the scale. And it’s not all because of your Gallic charm.â€

She pour herself a glass of the Claret, for all she knew it could be paint thinner, still the act of drink it was enough.

“Still one mystery at time, eh Monsieur.â€

She then proceeded to tell the tale of her discovery of the real nature and how after a small scuffle she had managed to subdue Nora and learn a little about her vampiric origin and her mysterious master. And finally how with the help of Nick Cimitiere, well to be fair he did all the work, Nora was able to start a normal life. She still couldn’t shake the feeling that the cunning Frenchman knew all of this already.

"Ah yes, Monsieur Nick...If it comes to death, he is your man" agreed Rene, tucking into his Kidneys.

"Bloody good food here, as the British would say" he mumbled, with a wink. Indeed, the kidneys did have a certain red colour.

"Now then" he continued, pushing a dog eared book Revenants way. "Take a look at this..."

The Book was called "Modern Mysteries of the Magic" it looked like complete hogwash, a pulp cover in garish colours of a classic sorcerer sacrificing a scantily clad woman. It looked rubbish. The author was a Mr. Arthur Arcanus.

"Now now, I know what you are thinking. Tat. And, I admit, the cover art is not much to sing about, but this is actually a very rare book. Nobody knows who Arthur Arcanus was, he was thought to be mad, but he published this one, exceptionally rare book, complete drivel, badly written. Full of editorial influence that scrambles his writings..."

"All of which, if one can penetrate through his insanity and the editorial changes, happen to be completely accurate!. Of course nobody recognised it, hardly any copies left now, the author and book lost almost completely".

"The man was a genius, a rare psychic with some kind of ability to pierce through reality itself. Anyway, page 78, I came across a reference to some "Vampire-witch that walked in the midday sun" in Alaska "The third stroke of the master" after "two others in decades past".

He raised an eyebrow "ring any bells?"

She carefully put down the glass so as not to spill any or even break the glass.

“So this man was hiding his knowledge in full sight like in a Holmes story.†She didn’t ask how he knew that is was accurate; he wouldn’t give a straight answer anyhow.

“And this man wrote about another like Nora or even myself.†She was still a little uncomfortable admitting her own state.

“And I assume you know more than just this one sighting or reference. Unless you ask me here to enjoy my fine company and the expensive, oh so expensive, claret?â€

"Ze claret, is rather good, non?" replied Rene, throwing some more of the wine into his mouth.

"Ze book there, it has all sorts of references to this...third creature. He even calls it "Ze third lady" at some points" he explained, alternatively eating and drinking.

"SO, it seems to me that there is more to your story than once we supposed. Nora the first, you the second, and now..." he pointed at the book and shrugged.

"If you wish to unfold ze mystery, I suggest tracking down Ze third lady may be worthwhile. The only name I that is references is Kollwitz - a German name. That is a start, perhaps. It alludes to Kollwitz being very rich, at least initially....perhaps that is enough to start looking into the matter. I am afraid I have no expertise in this modern world's investigations of such matters. I understand they use this thing called ze Internet these days..."

She gave a wry little smile.

“I myself I’m an old fashion kind of girl. But my employer has an 8 year old daughter who probably knows more about the internet than both of us will ever know.â€

She sipped a little of the win whilst she considered her option, she was sure the owner would have be horrified if she had asked for a cocktail.

“You know we should do this more often, meet up so you can avoid giving anything away about what you know. Possibly without any more revelation about possible vampire relations. Still…†she leant over and gave Rene a little peck on the cheek “…thank you.â€

"I am sure Monsieur Verdoux is more than happy to see you here, with or without me" replied Rene, nodding to the Owner.

"I think he is trying to set you up with the young handsome Chef there..Phillipe..." he winked. Sure enough, the fresh faced Phillipe, who was indeed rather handsome with a thick mop of black hair, ruddy cheeks (from the heat of the kitchen) and generous eyes, popped up next to Monsieur Verdoux to take a peek at his beloved pale beauty.

"In any case, you know I am always happy to help..." smiled Rene.

Lucy couldn’t help but smile.

“Sometimes I think you’re the most infuriating man I have ever known. It’s like every conversation is a complicated dance, and I don’t know the steps. And I don’t think I’d have it any other way. Besides…â€

She looked over toward the owner and the attractive chef. She gave them both a friendly little smile.

“… I think I’m a little too old for the poor little Phillip. And of cause the owner like my customer I hardly anything and always pay, I would call that the ideal customer.â€

• 2 weeks later...

"Oh you aren't that old" replied Rene, a twinkle in his eye.

Just well preserved" he added "and you never know, young Philip there might add a bit of a spring to your step?"

He stroked his grey goatee. He wasn't exactly sure if the dead and the living should ever get together. But then, from what Revenant had told him about Nora, and from his discussions with Nick, he wasn't exactly sure Revenant was your classical undead. She was something new.

Experimental...

"In any case you have my number. If you need it. I am afraid I don't have the constitution for Alaska. Do wrap up warm, won't you?"

“Maybe I’m pining from a lost love. Surely as a Frenchman you can appreciate the romance of a lost love.†She had a smile as she said it but her eyes, the cold black orbs that they were still showed sadness.

She was thoughtful for a few minutes.

“Beside unless you know a teleporter who could get me all the way to Alaska it going to take a couple of day until I could even travel. I’m a busy girl with a full diary for the next couple of days.â€

Like being legally able to travel. It was strange that she had never been beyond the limits of the city, now she was probably going to end up travelling right across America.

"I anticipated that..." replied Rene with a smile. Without saying a word, he lead Revenant out of the restaurant (with a customary farewell to Monsieur Verdoux, who demanded they patronise his restaurant again as soon as possible!) and onto an alley just by the building. The smell's from the kitchen permeated the alley and were enough to make him salivate all over again.

He patted down his coat and after bringing out a few crumpled photographs and other tat, found what he was looking for. A picture of Anchorage, some official tourist thing, slightly crumpled but rather well done even so.

"Here we go!" he said, bringing out his paintbrush "I can paint you into ze picture! well, that is, I can paint you straight into Anchorage, now I have ze picture!" he corrected himself.

Lucy looked confused for a few moments “Why would I need my picture painting?†then realization dawned on you “Why you sly old dog. I knew there was more going on than that cranky old man routine.†She gave a playful tap on his shoulder.

He smile faded as something important crossed her mind “Can you paint me in with some extra appropriate clothing? The cold doesn’t really affect me, but I’ll look strange wandering around in just a suit at four degrees Fahrenheit.†She gave a smile “It’ll make up from that dress you ruined. If you want I’ll return that replacement that’s in the mail.â€

"a new costume too?" replied Rene "I haven't tried that before, but fashion is just ze poor cousin of art, and that is something I can claim proficiency at! Even if I do say so myself!"

Rene whipped out his brush and started weaving his magic via the ink and the picture. It was hard to say exactly what happened... As her form appeared on the picture it faded from view in Freedom city. It has the flavour of a dream. One minute she was standing next to Rene, the waft of French cooking permeating the air. The next, a tang of cold clean air, the crunch of snow beneath her feet, and she was in Alaska.

Wearing, as promised, a new set of clothes. A Fur lined coat and hat!

Lucy spent a few minutes just taking in the sight and sounds of Anchorage while wandering the streets of the city. She was enjoying herself and really wanted to spend a good while exploring the new sights, but she was here for a reason and had important work to do back in Freedom City.

So after a while she reluctantly found herself a little café that still owned a pay phone and ordered herself a very strong black coffee. Carefully dialling the number, and after help from the friendly waitress, she managed to get through to her friend in Freedom City.â€

“Hello Rhonda I need a favour.â€

“No I can’t come round and visit I’m in Alaska.â€

“Yes it’s a long story I’d like to tell you but I’m on a pay phone…â€

GM

Revenant didn't need to stop for sleep, or food. She could take her time asking around. And time it took, a convoluted thread of many people, some ignorant, some just passing her on to the next stop on the trail. And some trails were dead ends.

The Next Day...

"Yeah, sure, I know of her..." said the elderly librarian "we even have a few of her books. Local author. Cant say she was a big success. Her books are just too weird. Guess you would call them horror, if it all the pages weren't so jumbled up. Apparently its her technique, but makes the books bad, if you ask me. A few people like em, those mixed up goth kids..."

He lead Lucy to the relevant section. He was a vibrant, friendly man, with a full head of white hair, tweed jacket and bow tie. Despite his affable nature he didn't hold back on criticising bad literature.

"Here you go, Veronica Stone. Least, that's the name she writes by" he said, pulling out They came for blood and leafing through it half heartedly. "She lives out of town, but its not far. Winterlake I think the place is..."

He gave Revenant instructions and the address for Winterlake. It was, indeed, next to a small lake, and at this time of year, it was indeed suitably cold.

Her instincts were screaming to do more research; she had spent far too many days as a Lawyer rather than a hero. And as she had a deadline before she had to return to Freedom City, however she would achieve that, time was of the essence.

So after a few minutes of standing around getting the feel of the area, a checking that it wasn’t too early she was still on East Coast time, she made her way up to the front door of the house where Veronica Stone lived.

She’d though of a plan of how to approach this as she waited for the door to be answered. Best to be Lucy Harker than Revenant. If the woman knew nothing, and she didn’t expect to be well known outside Freedom City, she was just another fan who loved the authors Goth stylings.

GM

Winterstone was old, with the faintest trace of shabby. There was nothing wrong with the high stone wall and iron gate that surrounded it, however. It served its function very well. The intercom system to the mansion also seemed in perfect order.

"No luck" called out the young man by the door. He was clutching a dog-eared copy of They came for blood. The man had a crazy jet black hair, a number of piercings, and pale skin. His frame was thin, almost emaciated, and he shivered slightly in the cold breeze and the snow underfoot. He was dressed warmly enough, in a thick coat, but he seemed to feel the cold nonetheless, perhaps because he looked like he needed a few square meals. The hint of his clothes underneath all spoke of a "goth".

A beat up old VW Beatle, presumably his car, was parked on the road nearby.

"Man, I cam all the way from Montreal to try and see her. She is my hero. You here to get her signature too? I just get some croaky old man on the intercom, saying she is indisposed or something like that...."

He reached out a pale, thin hand, offering it to Lucy.

"Jake Jefferson" he said, by way of introduction.

She checked her sunglasses before replying, she didn’t really want the man to see her Black eyes and get the wrong idea.

“Lucy Harker.†she gave a broad smile and took his hand.

She wished she had taken time to read some of her content, it might have helped. Oh well maybe she could find out a little from Jake.

“I really hope she can see me, we’re distantly related and I was in town for business so I thought I’d look her up. I’d heard she was writing but I’ve never found the time to finish her book. Maybe you could tell me a little about her work?â€

(GM)

"Yeah, it's radical!" replied Jake enthusiastically. He was thrilled to be able to discuss his idol with an attractive woman. A hot attractive woman!

" many people just read it as bad pulp horro. And then she uses that famous, or infamous, cutting up technique...so all the times and places get jumbled up? Mad, man. But then, you gotta read the subtext. All that mixed up craziness..."

He leaned in conspiratorially to Revenant.

"it's a code! Occult symbolism and numerology! If you can out it together..." he grinned "immortality!"

He seemed really pleased with himself.

"except nobodies put it together. Just bits and pieces here and there. Glimpses. And then, she never gives interviews. Lives like a recluse..."

Lucy raised an eyebrow.

Selling the secret of immortality via a Dadaist style cut-up. An intresting idea. But something was missing, why was she doing this, and why were Jake and his kind grappling for her secrets?

“There must be people who put this all together; the reward must be pretty special. After all there are plenty of ways to gain immortality.†After all I managed to do it “What’s so special about the brand of Immortality that she’s selling?â€

She gave a friendly encouraging smile; she hated to play people like this but needs must.

GM

“There must be people who put this all together; the reward must be pretty special. After all there are plenty of ways to gain immortality. What’s so special about the brand of Immortality that she’s selling?â€

Jake shrugged "beats me. It's murder trying to piece together all the clues. Just something about immortality, and that's it. All rather dark and mysterious. Something about feeding the soul, or something. Here, if you look on page 73..."

He proceeded to show Revenant his book. It was full of notes scrawled around the edges, top and bottom, most - or perhaps all - of it was incoherent ramblings, trying to synthesise occultism from around the globe and through the ages into some hotch-potch theory based on the books.

It looked pretty crazy - pure speculation of someone who wanted to believe rather than logical analysis. But then, now and again, a flash of insight could be spotted.

"Man, I would give anything to speak to her..." sighed Jake, pressing the door button again.

"Ms. Stone is not available" came a crotchety elderly voice.

"Oh come on" implored Jake "just 5 minutes...please!" he begged.

Maybe there was something in these books, but all she saw was a code for being made a vampire. Or maybe another one like herself?

Only one way to find out.

“I’ve got some catching up to do, but I’ll see if we can get an interview. At least I can get this book signed for you.†She gave another friendly smile.

She walked over to the intercom and pressed the button, hoping that this approach would gain her entrance.

“Hello there I’m Lucy Harker a mutual friend of Bloody Nora. I’d like to come in and talk to Ms Stone about Kollwitz.â€

GM

"I'm sorry Ma'am" replied the dry, weary voice who had no doubt done this a thousand times before.

"Ms. Stone is receiving no visitors. Official business only. No exceptions. "

He went onto autopilot.

"Ms. Stone thanks her loyal fans for their undying support" he said, a rote statement inflected with a touch of sarcasm and irony.

"See?" said Jake "That old man is her gate keeper, tough as old boots, and inflexible as wrought iron. I've been pleading him with all of yesterday, and today too. Never seems to sleep. Just same old statement, over and over again. He is probably an automated recording, or something!"

He seemed reassured that it was not just him that couldn't get through, but still vexed he could not get to see the woman herself.