Third Time Sucky (IC)

Lucy looked thoughtful for a minute.

“Well I’ve got my day in court, so I’m going to need a couple of days. And it never hurts to keep a gentleman waiting…†she gave a smile.

“I suggest that you and are young friend here try to solve the clues that Veronica put in her books. She suggested that the clues would somehow allow her to gain power over him, even if not Jake can spread the solution and maybe stop a few following the clues to their doom.†She looked thoughtfully out the window “And it would be helpful if you could work out a way to keep an eye on me the same way our Master can, I unfortunately might need someone to back me up.â€

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hmmmm, I can certainly look at these books...particularly if my guest is indeed as insightful as he claims to be" replied Rene. "Although I never cared much for modern fiction..."

He sat down and thumbed through one of the books Jake had with him.

"Ah, oh for ze good old days, proper writing!" he said, before tossing it to one side, onto a plump cushion.

"In any case my dear, as you say, there is no rush. In the mean time, I will try to see if I can help, as you say, keep an eye over you. It may, in fact, be literally, an eye...." he smiled enigmatically.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy sat on the roof of her house and considered the last couple of days. What with becoming a citizen again, and then the next day being shrunk, thing had been a little hectic. But at the back of her mind had been the pending meeting with this vampire master and Rene warning. In her old profession she was use to figuring out her opponent’s next move, in her new she tended to play thing by ears and just improvise. She suspected that she’d need both to even come close to outwitting someone as old as this vampire.

She picked up the telephone and call a by now familiar number.

“Hello Rene its Lucy, I hope you have some good news for me.â€

"Well I have news" replied Rene, yawning.

"As to how fortunate it is, that is something for the fates to decree".

He yawned again. He had been up burning the midnight oil looking at the books. A load of bad horror fiction at first glance, he thought, but there did seem to be some message there. It was pretty convoluted, garbled, and he doubt he would have spotted much without Jake's annotations.

"The book appears to be a code, of sorts..." he explained "there is nothing actually usable there, at least as far as I can see, but it's more like a recipe book without any finished meals. Full of allusions of Necromancy, in particular, of actually restoring life, in a manner similar to Nora, perhaps. But that is not quite it..."

"I can only guess that this was a venus flytrap. A code to bring in ze more fanatical fan to our authoress. And it seemed to work with your friend Jake. Perhaps she wished to see if anyone out there could help her? although from the sound of your description that help would not be well rewarded. "

"I think it alludes to her own condition. It seems as if ze Master, with his third stroke, decided to place heavier chains on his creation. Nora was wild, too wild, you were...well, you were you...and now ze Lady, she is his unwitting slave. He sees through her eyes, like a spy. "

"That is a far as I can tell. I may be wrong, but that is my sense of it. Ze Lady wishes to be free, but cannot openly advertise it - for ze Master would know. So, she has set in place a series of clues, to be rescued. Or at least, unchained. I doubt she wishes to return to a fully mortal existence...."

Lucy gave a little sigh “She didn’t say as much when I met her. I was just hoping she had put in some weakness of this master of hers. Now all I have to do is arrange a meeting with the master and work out what to do with Jake.â€

A thought crossed her mind and she gave a little smile despite herself.

“It’s a shame I couldn’t call up my duplicate, she could have gone in my place. Oh well you’ll just have to Rene, how do you look in a dress?†she gave a little laugh “But I wouldn’t mind the company whilst I make the call.â€

• 3 weeks later...

“It’s a shame I couldn’t call up my duplicate, she could have gone in my place. Oh well you’ll just have to Rene, how do you look in a dress? But I wouldn’t mind the company whilst I make the call.â€

"I haven't worn a dress for, oh, a century..." replied Rene wistfully "..there was this particularly wild party in Paris held by..."

He paused.

"Ahem, anyway, I doubt I have the figure for it these days..." he continued, patting his midriff. He was not overweight, but at his age, his body had sagged a little. Still, for over twohundred years of age, he was looking pretty good.

"But in other regards, I am at your disposal. What do you need?"

Well wasn’t he full of surprises.

“Every time we talk you never fail to surprise me. Though it must have been a long dress you havn’t got the legs to carry of anything shorter.†Despite the possible seriousness of the situation she couldn’t help but smile.

“I’ve managed to pick up a little on normal vampire here and there, mostly in violence, but I’ve never met one as powerful as this master. Or to be honest one with such a strong connection to myself. Anything that you know could be a great help to me.â€

"I suspect you know more about vampires than me..." replied Rene.

"It is true, I have dealt with my fare share of undead, and necromancers, in my time" he pondered "right back, in the beginning, in ze Revolution, I burnt down the house of Necromme with Broken Crow. And I have always harboured a particular distrust of ze dark arts..." he rambled on.

"But vampires...they are a different breed to ze creatures I have faced. Oh, I know ze stories, and have even faced off some in ze past. Sunlight, water, garlic. All these things are true..."

"But this master, he is an experimenter, is he not? more subtle, more crafty than your average blood sucker. How old is he? you will be facing the cunning of centuries, or longer, my dear. "

"My observation is this. He does not wish to harm you. Or at least, has no desire to. And you hold no blood for his feral lusts. So, in this regard, you may be at an advantage. "

“When I’m done you and me will have to sit down with a bottle of something expensive, get very drunk (well you at least) and swap stories of our past.†She sighed “I think I've been over thinking this. Every idea I thought of I discount because he’s already planned for that. Maybe I should be doing the opposite, vampire are static by nature and his offspring seem doubly so, well except me I’ve always been good at improvising.†She tapped herself on the side of her head.

“Hello Lucy! Of cause he thing I’m planning an elaborate setup, he’ll expect betrayal. So improvise it is. I could still do with your help, I need a distraction for Jake, and if you could keep an eye on me somehow when I go in that would be handy. If he has more influence on me than I expect, well I like you to take the appropriate action…†she left the idea hanging an moved one.

“We go at sunset.â€

"As opposed to what? Inappropriate action?" said Rene looking carefully at Revenant.

"Oui, I know your meaning. I understand" he said, irritated, waving a hand "but appropriate is a curious beast..." he answered cryptically. "And a different one for every soul..."

He straightened up and rubbed his back.

"Goodnight, Monsieur Jacque..." he said politely. The air around the youth seemed hazy, faint, and soporific, like heavy summer heat and narcotic smells. The Youth looked up at Rene quizzically, before his eyelids sagged and he slumped into his chair, quite asleep.

"I'll give him a good rest" he explained to Revenant "and a good meal if he insists on waking up despite my intentions. But he should not bother, for now..."

"As for keeping my eyes on you...I am sure I could pull something out ze hat..." he smiled, before whipping off his beret, sticking his hand in, and pulling out a rather large mouse.

"This will do!" he said, looking directly at the mouse, who nodded. He then handed the creature to Young Brittania.

"My little friend here can tell me if there is any problems..."

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy gave a small smile and held a hand out for Rene’s little companion.

“I shall take great care of little Michelle Mouse, hopeful she’ll take great care of me.†Her smile faded and her face darkened “Just promise me you’ll do what’s necessary if he does prove more powerful for me.â€

She let the idea hang for a little while before she lent forward and gave Rene a chaste kiss on the cheek.

“Wish me luck, hopefully I won’t need it.†She managed a faint smile

She then left to go with her date with destiny.