A Walk in the Park

Barnum

Lady Liberty laughed again. "No, you don't need a secret identity, but you may want to consider moving into Freedom Hall. We heroes tend to attract trouble. You might want to spare the church and your family that trouble. It's not required, of course, but it is the kind of thing you have to start thinking about now that you are a Freedom Leaguer."

Lady Liberty paused to make sure the gravity of what she just said had sunk in.

"Anyway, I have to go. I've got a pressing engagement. I'll call you on your League communicator in a few days to discuss the details. In the meantime, I suggest you talk things over with your family."

Lady Liberty put her arm around Agnes' shoulders and gave her a hard squeeze, and them took off into the air. With a wave, she disappeared into the clouds.

"Anyway, I have to go. I've got a pressing engagement. I'll call you on your League communicator in a few days to discuss the details. In the meantime, I suggest you talk things over with your family."

Agnes blushed when Lady Liberty hugged her, and then waved as she flew away. She spent the next hour walking around the park and thinking about the implications of what she'd just agreed to. She was out of the park and on her way home when the full weight of the afternoon dawned on her, and she started jumping up and down and squealing.

"I'm a member of the Freedom League!"

It was still just too unbelievable to feel real. But Agnes' excitement was tinged just a little with sadness and concern. "What is the Father going to say? And Sister Agatha?"

Only one way to find out.

Agnes blushed when Lady Liberty hugged her, and then waved as she flew away. She spent the next hour walking around the park and thinking about the implications of what she'd just agreed to. She was out of the park and on her way home when the full weight of the afternoon dawned on her, and she started jumping up and down and squealing.

"I'm a member of the Freedom League!"

It was still just too unbelievable to feel real. But Agnes' excitement was tinged just a little with sadness and concern. "What is the Father going to say? And Sister Agatha?"

Only one way to find out.