A Walk in the Park

Barnum

llsmall.jpg

Lady Liberty landed in the park just after noon. She was wearing her costume, but wore a thigh-length leather coat bearing the Freedom League logo. It wasn't a disguise really, but it kept her from being noticed instantly by the other park goers. Her appointment was still not for a half an hour, so she took the extra time walk around the circus grounds to check out the progress being made on its construction. As the time drew nearer, she made her way to the children's zoo to wait for Agnes to arrive.

llsmall.jpg

Lady Liberty landed in the park just after noon. She was wearing her costume, but wore a thigh-length leather coat bearing the Freedom League logo. It wasn't a disguise really, but it kept her from being noticed instantly by the other park goers. Her appointment was still not for a half an hour, so she took the extra time walk around the circus grounds to check out the progress being made on its construction. As the time drew nearer, she made her way to the children's zoo to wait for Agnes to arrive.

agnes.jpg

Agnes walked the entire way from the church to Liberty Park. It was cold but pleasant enough. She was really nervous about her meeting with Lady Liberty, so the walk did her some good, helped her relax. Once inside the park she found the Children's Zoo, and once there, Lady Liberty wasn't hard to spot. She walked up as the hero was watching some kids feed the lambs. Agnes stood beside her and watched too before speaking.

"That's my name," she said with a laugh, pointing toward the sheep.

agnes.jpg

Agnes walked the entire way from the church to Liberty Park. It was cold but pleasant enough. She was really nervous about her meeting with Lady Liberty, so the walk did her some good, helped her relax. Once inside the park she found the Children's Zoo, and once there, Lady Liberty wasn't hard to spot. She walked up as the hero was watching some kids feed the lambs. Agnes stood beside her and watched too before speaking.

"That's my name," she said with a laugh, pointing toward the sheep.

"Well, hello! You snuck up one me!" Lady Liberty put her hand on her heart, feigning fright. "I'm glad you made it . . . and what? Your name is sheep?"

"Agnes, it means 'lamb,'" she said with a smile.

Agnes put a quarter into the feed dispenser and turned the little dial. Out poured a handful of feed for the sheep. She stooped down and gently offered her hand. The sheep waddled their way over to get the free meal. Their tongues tickled her palm as they ate.

"You want to try," she asked, looking up to Lady Liberty. "I've got another quarter."

"Well, hello! You snuck up one me!" Lady Liberty put her hand on her heart, feigning fright. "I'm glad you made it . . . and what? Your name is sheep?"

"Agnes, it means 'lamb,'" she said with a smile.

Agnes put a quarter into the feed dispenser and turned the little dial. Out poured a handful of feed for the sheep. She stooped down and gently offered her hand. The sheep waddled their way over to get the free meal. Their tongues tickled her palm as they ate.

"You want to try," she asked, looking up to Lady Liberty. "I've got another quarter."

Lady Liberty laughed. Agnes was literally "unbelievable." Sometimes she sounded like an old nun, and sometimes she sounded like she was 10. But she was so sweet and so genuine, Lady Liberty felt a huge amount of affection for her. The girl had a long way to go, but LL was positive the Freedom League was making the right move.

"No thanks, Agnes. When you finish up that handful let's go for a walk. There's something we need to talk about, and something I want to ask you."

Lady Liberty laughed. Agnes was literally "unbelievable." Sometimes she sounded like an old nun, and sometimes she sounded like she was 10. But she was so sweet and so genuine, Lady Liberty felt a huge amount of affection for her. The girl had a long way to go, but LL was positive the Freedom League was making the right move.

"No thanks, Agnes. When you finish up that handful let's go for a walk. There's something we need to talk about, and something I want to ask you."

"Sure. All done," she said, tossing the rest of the feed onto the ground between the sheep. She scratched the nearest lamb behind its ear and then fell in beside Lady Liberty. The legendary woman was so tall and so charismatic, she made Agnes feel like little girl standing beside her. It was a feeling that Agnes would never get over, no matter how long they knew each other. Agnes really didn't have a clue what this conversation was all about, but she had prepared herself for the worst: the Freedom League had finished evaluating her performance and had decided no to add her to the membership. Yeah, that was the most likely scenario.

"Sure. All done," she said, tossing the rest of the feed onto the ground between the sheep. She scratched the nearest lamb behind its ear and then fell in beside Lady Liberty. The legendary woman was so tall and so charismatic, she made Agnes feel like little girl standing beside her. It was a feeling that Agnes would never get over, no matter how long they knew each other. Agnes really didn't have a clue what this conversation was all about, but she had prepared herself for the worst: the Freedom League had finished evaluating her performance and had decided no to add her to the membership. Yeah, that was the most likely scenario.

llsmall.jpg

The two heroes walked away from the petting zoo and joined up with one of the nature trails that crisscrossed the park. Once they were out of earshot of the other park-goers, Lady Liberty broke the silence.

"So, Agnes, what do you think of your time with the League so far?"

llsmall.jpg

The two heroes walked away from the petting zoo and joined up with one of the nature trails that crisscrossed the park. Once they were out of earshot of the other park-goers, Lady Liberty broke the silence.

"So, Agnes, what do you think of your time with the League so far?"

"Well, I'm very grateful. It has been the greatest experience, and I've think I've learned a lot," she said hopefully.

This was definitely the way Agnes expected the don't call us, we'll call you conversation to begin, but Agnes was still hopeful that this was all for the best. All she had to do was be honest. The rest was in God's hands.

"I failed a lot too," she continued. "I definitely feel like I'm in way over my head, but I just want to help. I've had a chance to do some real good, and I'll always be thankful for that."

"Well, I'm very grateful. It has been the greatest experience, and I've think I've learned a lot," she said hopefully.

This was definitely the way Agnes expected the don't call us, we'll call you conversation to begin, but Agnes was still hopeful that this was all for the best. All she had to do was be honest. The rest was in God's hands.

"I failed a lot too," she continued. "I definitely feel like I'm in way over my head, but I just want to help. I've had a chance to do some real good, and I'll always be thankful for that."

"That's a very mature attitude," Lady Liberty said. She wasn't at all being condescending. She was genuinely impressed. "You are obviously quite capable . . . and quite powerful, perhaps as or more powerful than many in the League. You do have a lot to learn, and failing is a part of that process." She stopped and put her hand on Agnes' shoulder. "Don't ever be afraid to fail."

Lady Liberty looked into Agnes' eyes for an uncomfortably long amount of time. She was searching for something.

Is she really ready?

Yes.

"Agnes, we want you to become a member of the Freedom League."

"That's a very mature attitude," Lady Liberty said. She wasn't at all being condescending. She was genuinely impressed. "You are obviously quite capable . . . and quite powerful, perhaps as or more powerful than many in the League. You do have a lot to learn, and failing is a part of that process." She stopped and put her hand on Agnes' shoulder. "Don't ever be afraid to fail."

Lady Liberty looked into Agnes' eyes for an uncomfortably long amount of time. She was searching for something.

Is she really ready?

Yes.

"Agnes, we want you to become a member of the Freedom League."

"Really? Why?"

Lady Liberty laughed. "Well, you're honest and honorable. Capable and powerful. And you've got a good heart. Most of all, you've got real potential, the potential to do a world of good. Don't get me wrong; you need more training and experience, and that is exactly what you can get from being a member of the League."

Lady Liberty stopped and looked Agnes in the eye.

"So, what do you say?"

"Really? Why?"

Lady Liberty laughed. "Well, you're honest and honorable. Capable and powerful. And you've got a good heart. Most of all, you've got real potential, the potential to do a world of good. Don't get me wrong; you need more training and experience, and that is exactly what you can get from being a member of the League."

Lady Liberty stopped and looked Agnes in the eye.

"So, what do you say?"

"So, what do you say?"

"Yes! Yes, I'd be honored."

Agnes was officially as scared as she'd ever been, but she didn't dare say, "no." This was too great of a responsibility that had been thrust on her to decline.

"How does this work? I don't have a secret identity. Do I need one now?"

"So, what do you say?"

"Yes! Yes, I'd be honored."

Agnes was officially as scared as she'd ever been, but she didn't dare say, "no." This was too great of a responsibility that had been thrust on her to decline.

"How does this work? I don't have a secret identity. Do I need one now?"

Lady Liberty laughed again. "No, you don't need a secret identity, but you may want to consider moving into Freedom Hall. We heroes tend to attract trouble. You might want to spare the church and your family that trouble. It's not required, of course, but it is the kind of thing you have to start thinking about now that you are a Freedom Leaguer."

Lady Liberty paused to make sure the gravity of what she just said had sunk in.

"Anyway, I have to go. I've got a pressing engagement. I'll call you on your League communicator in a few days to discuss the details. In the meantime, I suggest you talk things over with your family."

Lady Liberty put her arm around Agnes' shoulders and gave her a hard squeeze, and them took off into the air. With a wave, she disappeared into the clouds.