School Counselor (IC)

Early December, 2011

Claremont Academy

The true nature of Claremont Academy was one of the few secrets about Freedom City's superheroes that Harrier was privy to, a legacy of the year before when he'd come onto the school's campus to help counsel Prometheus, the former Omegadrone who had now graduated. This year, though, he was on campus to meet with a new student, one with his own problems with the legacy and influence of the Terminus on his life. Alone on a cold, quiet quad in the middle of the school day, the sky grey with clouds overhead, Murdock sat beneath a tree denuded of leaves, his breath steaming before him in the cold. Big, muscular, and scarred, the former drone looked out of place here, as he did most other places. A little uncomfortably, he rested his hands on his knees and waited for Glowstar's arrival.

Brian Harris normally had history class this period, but he'd handed his teacher a note straight from Headmaster Summers and been excused. Summers had called Brian in at the beginning of the week and told the young man that he had set up an interview with someone very special, someone with a personal take on the Terminus. Brian had found the tests at ArcheTech to be illuminating, but not really satisfying on a personal level. It seemed Miss Americana's understanding of things was very detached and, well, scientific. Brian had hoped for some more well-rounded answers and it seemed like he was about to get them.

Brian walked out onto the quad dressed in jeans and a Rockets tee-shirt. He didn't seem to notice the cold, and crunched over the frosted grass straight towards Murdock. He stopped a fair distance away and stood tall in front of the older man. "Steve Murdock," he said. "My name's Brian Harris."

"Yes." The former Omegadrone's voice was flat and nearly a monotone as he looked up at Brian, extending a hand to shake before gesturing for the boy to join him on the bench. Murdock's hand was cold to the touch, and his skin hung oddly on the bones when you felt it, as if it wasn't quite attached properly. "I have spoken to those living in this dimension mutated by Terminus radiation before. I believe Fulcrum has visited this campus in the past." He turned to look at Brian. "What do you want to know?"

Brian lowered himself onto the bench, giving Murdock a good look up and down before switching his gaze to the top of the school buildings. He opened his mouth, shut it, thought more, and then opened it again to speak. "Is the Terminus evil?" He spoke rapidly after that, almost running over his words. "I mean, I know it's where Omega and his whole crew live, but we have some really bad guys living here, right? Overshadow and Donar back during World War 2, and now folks like Red Death and Mastermind and god knows what else. But this place, Earth, our dimension, whatever, it's not inherently, basically evil. But... the Terminus is different, right? Is there anything good there?" He paused and added, "Can anything good come from it?"

"You are a victim of mutation by Terminus radiation," replied Murdock, having learned some diplomacy in his time on Earth-Prime. "You are of this world, not of the Terminus. You are not guilty of the crimes of the Terminus, or of Omegadrones, or anything else." He looked around for a moment, as if casting about for an example. "If I struck you with my fist," he said, balling one up for emphasis, "you would be no more guilty of my crimes than you are now, even if the blow gave you superpowers." Somewhat awkwardly, he patted the young man on the shoulder. "You are a young man in a beautiful world, in a beautiful city. Enjoy your life, and bear no guilt for the crimes of others."

Brian sighed. "Yeah, but... this is the sort of power that killed the Centurion, you know? It's hard not to feel guilty when you're staring down guys with Uzis or something, and to hit 'em back with... With something the destroys worlds." He clenched his fist and a res light leaked out from around his fingers. "Can I even be a hero with these powers? It seems like all they're good for is destroying things."

"Destruction can be a good thing," replied Murdock. "A cancer. A forest fire. An Omegadrone." He thought for a moment about how to deal with the boy's concerns. "You cannot change the past. The dead cannot be brought back to life, the deeds of the Terminus cannot be undone." He spoke those words as if he'd memorized them a long time ago, and they came straight from the heart. "But you can do deeds that make you worthy of the abilities you have. If you spend your life lamenting the origin of your powers, lamenting being warped in the womb by Terminus radiation, then you will be simply be another victim. But if you use your abilities for good, you will master them, and thus be the master of your own fate."

A thin smile crept over Brian's lips. "So if I just be a normal guy," he said slowly, "or sit here worrying about my powers when I could be helping folks, that means the Terminus wins? That's a way of thinking I haven't run into before, Mr. Murdock." He scratched his nose as he turned the thought over and over in his head. Was he betraying the very people he tried to emulate by acting like this? He couldn't imagine Daedalus or Lady Liberty sitting around and moping over their powers. But then again, they didn't have to worry about where their powers came from.

Brian licked his lips. "I never really thought of being a hero because you have to be, or to spite someone. I help people because I want to be thought of as more than just my parents' child."

My father was murdered before my eyes in a food riot in the Black Ghetto, stabbed in the back by a prole and his pockets picked to sustain the miserable life of a murderous scavenger. My mother died of the bleeding horror in my arms a few months later. Murdock opted not to share that information with the young man, however, deciding that telling him of his own relationship with his parents would hardly help his woes. "The world sees you as the son of unworthy parents and the offspring of Terminus radiation. Spite your parents and the Terminus both, and be the best man, and the best hero, you can be." He was quiet for a few moments, considering things, before he spoke again, "It is...easy, I think, for a young man like you not to realize what a joy this place is. There is food, there is sky and sun, and there is a city of freedom all around you. To defend it and its people is a great honor."

• 4 weeks later...

Brian thought about it from that perspective. He knew, intellectually, that he had it rather good; a full ride to a good school, friends who didn't judge him fro who his parents had been, and he even had a... well, a complicated sort of thing with Gwen, which was a lot better than not having anything at all! He still missed his old friends, but would they even recognize what he had become, what he did and why? How would he explain it to them? Well, certainly not Mr. Murdock's way, that was sure. Brian didn't want to be ruled by something that happened in a different dimension or so long ago.

But wasn't he doing that already? Brain frowned and sat back, rubbing his nose. He was trying to be a hero because his parents had been villains. He was letting his life be ruled by what his parents did decades ago! But if he didn't base his actions on what his parents did, why should he be a hero? Mr. Murdock thought that the fact that the world was beautiful and wonderful and worth defending was enough reason, and was he wrong? Brian would certainly try to stop anyone who would hurt his friends or parents! Could he extend that sort of thinking to the world world, defending it because it was worth having around? Well, it wasn't the worst philosophy in the world.

The teen stood up and offered Murdock his hand. "Well, it was nice to talk to you, Mr. Murdock. You've given me some things to think about."