Something Fishy - part 2

Airon

Lucy was still getting use to the 21st century and hadn't really had chance to look at the modern wonders of forensic science, or had even heard about the science of Genetics.

The Victorian styling of Lord Steam equipment however wasn't that far removed from the equipment she could from the 20's so she figure out enough to offer her assistance. She decided however to allow him to do the majority of the work, just pointing out a pertinent point here and there.

So as Lord Steam did his best Sherlock style reveal she just stood there looking to all the world like a passive observer.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One is Atlantean, and the other...something else. Not Atlantean, I might add. So, we now have an even stranger conundrum. There were two victims of the weapon!

As Lord Steam declaimed this words, Ewoma cringed visibly, her eyes lowered on her lap and a hand raised covering her mouth in a pretty recognizable sign of shame and sadness.

Ambassador Roche didn’t seem to notice, though. She seemed quite puzzled by Steam’s investigation results – but then again the trip and the tea had given her the time to adjust to the situation and use her mind highly trained in problem solving.

“Well, I can’t explain these results, but I certainly can help presenting options.†She looked at Leviathan “Your… colleague, here seemed under the impression that there was a concealing charm… a glamour, I think he called it. What if, instead of Ewoma, the glamour is on the knife? That’s… that’s just the first thing I thought about - I can’t call myself expert on the supernatural.â€

“As for my strength, you are more than welcome to test it, along with my status as a human being without any meta-abilities – as I’m sure you are welcome to check Ewoma’s own humanity, who you seem to doubt so fiercely, or Iobatus status as an Atlantean.â€

Iobatus seemed annoyed by the idea, but limited himself to a shrug and a nod.

Ewoma sunk even deeper in her mortified position.

"My studies on the blade were most thorough" retorted Lord Steam, his eyes carefully absorbing the behaviour of all.

"However, it is quite true that evidence can be tampered with. We did not see the blade until Lord Brutus tossed it our feet. And I confess I do not trust him further than I could throw him. Which, if the truth be told, would not be so very far at all..."

"No, madam, the man is a cad, in word and in deed, and no gentleman. My only reason for speculating that he did not interfere with the evidence is that he was lacking in wit. In my opinion, the most likely course of events is that the evidence has been tampered for his benefit. Brutus was of ill temper, and most quick to conclude without consideration. "

"As for a glamour, the ways of the fog and the mirror are beyond me. However, not perhaps, of my companions..."

Leviathan

Viejlial was shaking his head as Lord Steam was talking of glamours. "I am afraid my lord, that my ability to unmake glamours is very specific. It is relegated only to those that change the shape of people, not of object. Be that as it may,I do not believe the dagger is the thing that is changed. When one handles an object with an illusion on it, the illusion most times will either dissipate or be seen through as interaction with visual illusions can not fool other senses, like touch."

Veijlial looked around, trying to think of some way he could be left alone with Oma. He then turned back to Lord Steam and leveled him with a colluditory glance. "Perhaps my lord, you would be so good as to show the lady Ambassador and Revenant the grounds at large around your estate? It would also do to use the opportunity to patrol the area as the conspirator or conspirators might have followed us back here to set up an ambush. We weren't exactly inconspicuous at the good Ambassador's house now were we?"

"Very well" replied Lord Steam, gazing at Leviathan for a second longer than perhaps was necessary.

An unusual request, at an unusual time he noted and implausible at that...

He couldn't help it - his natural suspicions kicked in, a reflex from his detective work. He didn't know Leviathan, and whilst he had given every indication of heroic enterprise, Lord Steam knew oh so well that appearances could be deceptive.

And Leviathan had given every indication on intelligence, too.

This was a calculated gamble. He knew Levianthan was trying to get rid of him - and the others, for a moment, anybody could see the spurious nature of his suggestion. He could only hope it was for some gainful purpose.

Besides which, he had asked politely, and he was a guest.

"Let me show you docks..." he said, leading the Ambassador and Revenant out "I have a most spectacular underwater galleon!"

The couple exchanged a puzzled look as they stood up from their seats in the lab and followed their host. The ambassador eyes had widened in surprise at the sudden turn the situation had taken “Yes… sure, I think I… We would be delighted†she elbowed Iobatus, who looked bored and a bit annoyed “to see a technological marvel built in such an interesting style.â€

“Oma, are you joining us?â€

“No, I… I’m tired and… I don’t want to sound inappropriate but, Lord Steam… can you please direct me to the bathroom?†she asked with a half-hearted smile.

While leaving the room, Ewoma turned back and glanced at Veijlial, a grave and sad look; she slightly tilted her head in the direction of the door, as to discretely inviting him to follow.

Leviathan

Leviathan's eyes darkened as he stood up and walked after Oma. He knew that this could simply be a trap, meant to lure him into being alone with her so that she might do what she did to the other Atlantean, if she was the culprit that is. Leviathan pondered this but knew he had to try. The investigation was fast growing cold, the evidence pointing, at least to Veijlial's mind, to another Deep One being the murderer. The DNA on the dagger was said to be like Atlantean, but not, that statement sent bells of alarm through Veijlial's skull the second he heard it. Deep Ones were known compatriots of Serpent People, and known to be, on the whole, a dastardly and evil race. Veijlial may share the same heritage as them, and the same physical attributes, but he was not like them in any other way, and so he knew his assessment of his kin, while giving him great pain, was accurate. Veijlial brooded on his own predicament whilst following Oma down the hallway. No one was so lonely as a man alone within his race. To know that on the whole your race was a vile and evil thing was a type of pain unique unto itself. No matter who he confided in, Veijlial knew he would always be alone in the world, that no one would ever be able to understand this pain. Finally, Leviathan shook his head and squeezed closed his eyes. That line of thinking is an endless abyss, Veilial reminded himself, with nothing but cold lonely darkness waiting to greet you. Focus on the now, self pity can wait for when there is no murderer loose.

Leviathan

Ewoma checked left and right down the hallway to make sure none of the staff members were around and that Leviathan was still following. Then opened the door of the bathroom, slipped in and left the door a few inches open.

Leviathan stepped in, closed the door behind himself and looked upon one of the weirdest shows to ever present itself before his eyes.

The bathroom was huge, immense, covered in elegant porcelain tiles. A huge bathtub sat in the middle of the room, with a labyrinth of brass pipes starting from the taps and disappearing into the walls.

Sitting in a corner, sobbing, there was Ewoma, but as Veijlial walked in, her skin began to… melt, or at least that’s what it looked like. Her black skin dissolved into dark green scales, her pronounced cheekbones flattened, her full lips and flat nose almost disappeared.

She raised her face, her yellow eyes dripping with tears “Forgive me… forgive me brother…†her chocked sobs made it hard to understand, but her voice was more sibilant now "I can't hide anymore... I don't want to..."

Lord Steam took Iobatus, the Ambassador and Revenant down to the Docks of Steam Manor.

Copper, Brass, and Steam were the order of the day. Iron Girders laced overhead in a magnificent victorian style, covering a shallow dock that lead out directly to the sea.

"Here we are" said Lord Steam "A fully functional shallow dock...can't take the big trawlers, of course, but one can't have everything...we have a dry dock too" he said, pointing his cane at a magnificent steam powered crane that was able to lift marine vehicles to a stored area.

He wandered along, all the time musing over the issue of Leviathan and Owa. He glanced at his waistcoat pocket watch a few times, despite his best intentions.

He passed his yachts, motorboats, and other regular marine vehicles he had purchased on this dimension, more for show than anything else, he conceded to himself - although the power of sail still filled him with nostalgia.

"And here we have Alice, the underwater ship!" he said triumphantly, showing them the egg shaped copper plated submarine that looked like it was a version of Nemo's Nautilus commanded by extravagant pirates.

Leviathan

Brother. Veijlial had heard the word before, but never had it been directed at him. The thought of family was completely foreign to the young sorcerer, and the word shocked him much more than Oma taking her real form. Veijlial recovered quickly though, and put on a consoling face, kneeling in front of the crying woman.

"There is naught you need hide from me, sister. I know the prejudice our kind faces at every corner, I understand your reluctance to reveal yourself to the others, but you need not have feared. These are good people, and they, just like I, will do everything in their power to help you. Tell me what you know, and I promise that I will do all I can to see that you are treated fairly." Leviathan already had a working hypothesis on what this Deep One was, and had been doing. Leviathan believed that Oma was sent by the Serpent People to disguise herself as an attache to the ambassador to spy on the Atlanteans, or perhaps to assassinate one, as had happened already. Much of Oma's fate would be decided on whether she was simply an informant, or assassin. Seeing the pain these preceedings were causing her, Leviathan was praying for the former.

This Lord Steam was amazing; he looked and acted just like someone from her parent’s generation. It was at the same time comforting and made her feel a little homesick, not that she could really every go home…

“We have a name for those, we call them submarines. Though it is a beautiful object, I’m sure Verne would be proud of you.â€

She turned to the Ambassador, something had been bothering her since this all started.

“I hope you mind me asking Ambassador, but I know nothing about your ancient civilization. Lord Brutus seemed to have a strange reaction to our companion and I’m not quite sure why?â€

Leviathan

The being passing as Ewoma raised her eyes into Veijlial’s ones “You don’t understand… we… I did terrible, terrible things. Like this poor girl…†she turned to the mirror, and for a brief second reassumed the semblance of Ewoma “She was so enthusiast, she loved it under the sea. She didn’t deserve it, but it was inevitable…†she turned back to her natural state, but the tears remained on her cheeks.

"And she still lives in here, you understand this?" she pointed at her own forehead "After the Reading, I keep hearing her. It was the only way I could be her. Do you understand?"

“Please, just… just come with us. Do what they tell you – if you care for these people†she waved her hand around, to indicate the house “it’s the best thing for them. Don’t let them stir more chaos, don't let them murder anybody else, just do what they ask you… they killed your loved ones, but mine? They’re still captives…â€

Revenant & Steam

In the uncomfortable mood typical of someone who has much bigger issues on their head, Michelle and Iobatus followed their host along with Revenant. The marvels Lord Steam was showing them failed to grab their attention – something that very seldom happened.

Not so for Revenant, who was completely absorbed by the visit. As she spoke, Michelle took a deep breath, anticipating a long answer.

“The problem, Ms Revenant, is one as old as myth itself.†Replied the ambassador gazing into the distance “Your partner in crime-fighting belongs to an artificial race, unflatteringly called the Deep Ones†at the mention of the name, Iobatus spat in disdain in the water surrounding the docks. Michelle gave him a cold stare and continued “Deep One is the name given to an Atlantean corrupted by the Serpent People, ancestral enemies of the kingdom under the sea. Such beings are usually pawns in the hands of the Serpent People, which use them for the most twisted purposes.â€

“They are a bunch of untrustworthy monster, that’s what they are.â€

“Shut up Iobi, just shut up! Yes, most of them are corrupt. And yet, maybe they are forced towards evil by the prejudice of your family, a prejudice I shared since a few hours ago. And even then, there are worthy individuals, as we discovered ourselves this afternoon. And if my stubborn boyfriend here were to open his eyes a bit, maybe he could do something to improve their condition in the eyes of his peers!â€

Leviathan

Veijlial was both appalled and saddened by Oma's state, but he tried his best to keep emotions from his face. "Are you saying the people behind this assassination killed Jon? What do they want with me? Who are they holding captive to make you do these unspeakable things? Please, sister, you have to trust in me. Listen to your heart of hearts, listen to Oma, you know whomever these people are they must be stopped." Leviathan's heart raced as the possibility of catching up with Jon's murderers became within his grasp, but he knew he had to stay in control. If his emotions got the better of him, he could get himself, or worse, someone else, killed.

"Deep Ones?" replied Lord Steam, quizzically. "I have heard rumours of such creatures, a lot of superstitious mumbo-jumbo, I though. The meat and bread of deranged cultists. So, there is something of substance behind such whispers, is there? and these so called Deep ones are in some kind of tribal war with the Atlantean Race?"

"Now then, now then..." he said, speculating and gazing at the ceiling.

"This brings us to the element of motive...an assassination of an eminent Atlantean...interesting, interesting. And perhaps somebody wants to ensure that the relationships between these two submarine races should remain antagonistic, eh? what better way than a high profile murder. Although it was done on the surface world..."

He paused.

"There is not enough yet to conclude such imaginations, but I do sense another piece of the jigsaw puzzle has been tossed into our laps..."

Leviathan

“You… you were a surprise for them, did you know this?†a sad smile appeared on her face “Two birds with one stone – see, I learned even the most surface-bound sayings.â€

“There are a few like us. Not many – you are the only other one I ever met, but I know they’re there. Those like us… they don’t like us. They want pawns, puppets and soldiers, while we’re wild cards. So they kill and blackmail and they break our spirit – because we were strong enough to say no.†all the regret in the world was in her eyes “Sometimes I think you were the lucky one. Maybe you lost a friend, but you gained your freedom. And even if a friend is so rare, so precious to those like us, is it worth your free will?â€

“When you came up during the follow-up of the assassination, you became a secondary target. I was under so much stress, I almost… I almost let you unmask me in front of them… I don’t know, maybe you’re right… maybe Iorgo’s sacrifice would be worth my… No! NO! I’m despicable only for thinking it!†the anger now was forcing her way through the sadness “Come with me, take the damn scepter or what else they want you do. Please!â€

Steam & Revenant

“That is… a terrifying hypothesis.†said Michelle “I worked so hard to ease King Theseus and his court – but Atlanteans tend to be quite stubborn†she amicably patted Iobatus on the back of the head “They barely tolerate us humans – they Royal Council less so than King Theseus himself – his past with the League helps a lot in this regard. They completely despise both Serpent People and Deep Ones – under the sea the situation is a lot more explosive than it seems possible, if you pardon the pun.†she looked pensive and preoccupied “Do you think the assassin wants to make Diocles the next Archduke Franz Fer…â€

Her reasoning was interrupted by Revenant screaming and splashing into the water.

Revenant

Lucy was listening, enthralled by the delicate games of politics, so similar to the subterfuges of law and justice she knew so well.

It was with double surprise then that she felt something grabbing her ankle and pulling her into water. She barely had the time to scream that water was filling her lungs. It wasn’t painful – those lungs had been useless for a while now – but it certainly felt uncomfortable.

Way more disturbing was what she saw – barely, through the dark water: she saw a mirror image of herself – couldn’t tell how precise, with the water: at first it looked like a trick of the refracted light.

However a detail was very wrong: a satanic smirk was on the face of her mirror image, while she could tell that her own mouth was wide open in surprise.

The doppelganger winked at her, then touched her chest with what looked like a ball of algae – which rapidly started to entangle her and dragging her to the bottom . The mirror image gave her a sarcastic thumbs up then started swimming towards the surface.

"By Vishnu!" exclaimed Lord Steam, spinning around to see Revenant get sucked under the turbulent waves of his docks.

He was fast, but not nearly fast enough, as he tried to catch her arm.

How did something get in here??? he cursed to himself. He thought he had the Mansion sealed up properly.

By Sea?....I must improved the submarine security systems!!! he noted to himself, angrily.

He debated jumping in after Revenant, but that would be dangerous. He still needed to breathe, and he didn't fancy his chances fighting underwater. That was not his normal habitat, to say the least.

His eyes shot a glance towards Alice, his 'submarine'...

The last few minutes had not been good to Revenant. Being dragged into the water had been a bit of a shock causing her to give a little shriek of shock.

She had never really learned to swim, when she was young the city had few places to learn, but now floating in the dock she was totally calm. Not having to breath was a big help, but nothing about the situation seem to bother her. Well maybe expect seeing her double a leering parody of you own look didn't do much for your own self esteem.

Not that that was going to stop her. She swam towards the double with powerful broad stroke and attempted to grab hold of her ankle.

The doppelganger swam swiftly and moved at ease underwater – unlike Revenant who was out of her element, she seemed to move like an amphibious creature. She evaded Lucy’s grab with elegance, and even swam around her as to mock the hero’s clumsiness in that uncomfortable situation.

However all that grace, all that elegance vanished when the two Revenants, original and copy, re-surfaced near the dock, under the astonished eyes of Steam, Michelle and Iobatus. The Atlantean seemed ready to dive in to help, but hesitated as he saw the bizarre fight between the identical women.

Now the doppelganger was trying to swim as clumsily as the true Revenant, flailing her arms in an attempt to stay afloat by mere strength.

Leviathan

Leviathan turned a stony gaze upon the Deep One, his patience running out. "I will not be party to any mad plan invented by those murdering reptiles! We must fight them, to do nothing is to allow their victory. You must help me sister, if you do not these wretched beings will continue to hurt your loved ones and the loved ones of others. Do you want to see others hurt and cowed the way you have been? That is what will happen. You have the power to stop them, only confide in me, and I will see these Serpent People fall, I swear it." Looking on his brethren, she could see there was no fear in his countenance, only resolve, determination, anger. Veijlial was not good with people, and so he hoped his resolve and his promise were enough to sway her.

Lord Steam did not fancy his chances fighting the creature in the water. He could swim...but that was about it. He certainly would be at a huge disadvantage in such an environment.

Like having to breathe, for starters.

He would have, if there was no other option. He had no intention of a Superhero dying on his watch. Least of all in his house.

However, another opportunity presented itself. With a mad dash, and a vault, he launched himself into Alice, his underwater ship, flicking the large copper levers, igniting the steam engine, and preparing for action!

Leviathan

Her face relaxed for the first time, as she looked upon Veijlial with hope “You – you are right. We can prevail. We can stop this circle of slavery and subterfuge. I… I can tell you something about them, but we need to get away as fast as possible – if they are near me, they can cont…AAAHH!†she screamed and her eyes popped out mid-sentence. She clawed at her own head, still suffocating the screams “Nooo! Brother… they know… they’re here! We have to warn your frie… AAAAHHH†her skin started changing color quickly and incoherently, as she lost control of her powers.

“Ah’m shohry†she tried to speak but her mouth didn’t collaborate, then all of a sudden her eyes went blank and she jumped forward to claw Veijlial’s face. Her moves were clumsy and unnatural, however, and the attack missed. She arched her back in pain, then went ahead and tried to hit him again.

Steam & Revenant

The powerful lights powered by the galvanic reactor of Alice shone bright, illuminating the fight in the water. From the front window, Steam could see the two Revenants swam facing each other, trying to stay afloat and to hit each other. Then one of them sprung forward and landed a punch.

Lucy saw the doppelganger mimicking her own clumsiness in the water when just a few seconds before she was swimming like a fish. Her own troubles were real though, not a bluff, and she was too slow to avoid her punch. It hit hard – not only the enemy wasn’t really hindered by the water, she was almost on par with her inhuman strength.

This creature was obviously at home in the water whilst she was no water baby. So her bet plan was to get out of the water, luckily Lord Steam had provided a handy little platform to stand on. Rolling with the punch she pushed off of the doppelganger and swam towards the submarine clambering up onto the nose of the craft.

She gave a smile and spoke aloud so hopefully Lord Steam “As Nemo would say Strike, mad vessel! Shower your useless shot! And then, you will not escape the spur of the Nautilus.â€

She just hope he would figure out she was the real Revenant, or it could start getting difficult...

Steam & Revenant

"Lord Steam! Be careful†the Doppelganger strived to stay afloat and kept getting closer to the submarine; at the same time screaming at Lord Steam “She has grabbed onto your ship! Beware!â€

Leviathan

Ewoma’s eyes were a vortex of struggle: at times they seemed polished marbles empty of any emotion, but at times anger, and pain and struggle filled them as the Deep One jerked her head right and let in a battle against an invisible opponent.

Her body, however, was still very much engaged in a battle versus Veljlial. Ewoma’ aspect was leaner, without the tentacles that characterized Leviathan, but she still had the same hard scaly skin and clawed fingers. She jumped forward trying to claw off the eyes of her opponent, but her movements were stilted, almost machine-like, and she missed her target by a good ten inches.

Leviathan

Leviathan recognized what was happening with his brethren. She was under the effects of a spell of Serpent People design, used to control the minds and actions of others. Leviathan knew this meant that it was also likely his compatriots were being attacked as well. He had to stop this Deep One from attacking him, but he wanted to do it without harming her, so he brought to bear his shadowy tentacles, murmuring words of arcane power. The tentacles formed about the legs of the Ewoma impostor and began to wrap themselves around her.

"I know this is not your doing, sister, but I must stop you. My compatriots may be in trouble, and this must end now."

Lord Steam pressed his face to the window of Alice. He couldn't really hear the struggling duo, but it would not have helped him in any case.

Revenant appeared to be locked in mortal combat with...Revenant!

A Doppelganger! I don't know who is who!

...but I can even the odds!

The Doppelganger was surely aquatic, at home fighting in the water. He had no idea if Revenant was at home in the submarine environment, but it was likely she would be at a significant disadvantage.

He flicked open the controls to Alice, and looked at the instruments for opening up the Dock. If he just jammed that, and forced that too maximum...

The Dock Doors slammed fully shut, sealing the area almost watertight. As they did so, the giant steam pumps rushed into motion, frantic motion, pumping the Docks of Steam Manor dry!

He had installed such pumps for the purposes of Dry Dock Maintenance on Alice. They were no in overdrive, hissing violently, emptying the Dock of water in seconds rather than minutes.

He winced slightly as he heard the scream of metal and pistons working far beyond their normal parameters.

I'll need to replace those...