Distant Thunder

shazam

"I debuted in February of 1940...Though I have been inactive until recently."

"1940, eh?" Cadence nods thoughtfully, smiling wryly to herself.

"Was your sister interested in superheroes?"

"Interested?" Cadence chuckles a little. "Interested isn't a strong enough word. Superheroes were her life, really. They meant a lot to her." She takes a few moments for introspection, "I don't know. She was looking after us girls a lot, so maybe she liked the idea of someone looking after her, you know?" She sips her tea. "So why do you do it? The superhero thing?"

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Interested?" Cadence chuckles a little. "Interested isn't a strong enough word. Superheroes were her life, really. They meant a lot to her." She takes a few moments for introspection, "I don't know. She was looking after us girls a lot, so maybe she liked the idea of someone looking after her, you know?" She sips her tea. "So why do you do it? The superhero thing?"

"Because the job has to be done." He's not going to complain about how no one else does it the right way anymore, and that no one else is willing to remember the

past the way it was. Not in front of a civilian, anyway. This kind of deception, for all that it's a good cause, makes him feel uneasy.

"Where did she get the name? Valkyrie, I mean."

"I don't know - something about some Norse God or something. She didn't really talk about her projects much - in the beginning she did, but, when the audience isn't willing..." for the first time, there's a twinge of regret in Cadence's face. "Here, I'll get you something. Wait here." Cadence disappears, and can be heard thumping down the hall. She reappears less than a minute later with a large sketchbook and manila folder in hand. "Here. This is her research for the book. We kind of keep the study as it was. You're free to look through it as you want. I don't think she'll mind. She'd mind. She would've minded." Cadence rolls her eyes at herself and goes back to the fridge, pulls a carrot out and starts chomping on it.

Inside the sketch book there are tons of drawings. Everything from still lifes through to people in motion, landscapes to anatomy sketches. Inside there's a cast of hundreds - characters being prepped for the series proper and therefore still under development and characters fully fleshed and seemingly living. Little notes are everywhere regarding various poses, costume ideas and plot lines. It turns out that Valkyrie wasn't even the original name for Rose's character. She was originally going to be called 'Exemplar', but according to one of the notes, that name was 'a little sissy'. Various other names seem to have been trialed (Paragon, Athena, Sol...) but she seems to have settled on Valkyrie. This new name led to a major shift in the character, from a normal woman blessed with super human powers, to a real to life Valkyrie! A Norse spirit who, in this case, was tired of seeing good men and women die for what they believed in and left her role as selector of warrior souls when she decided that she, herself, would put her best foot forward for the right cause. The book has various sketches of the Norse, Egyptian and Roman parthenon, but none of the Golden Age Valkyrie or her contemporaries.

The manila folder contains research on many different aspects of the book, with a large portion dedicated to the concept of the Valkyrie and the Norse parthenon. There is only one mention of the Golden Age Valkyrie on a photocopied page from a text book. The text reads:

"Not to be confused with the Golden Age villainess of the same name, a Valkyrie is..."

The phrase is circled with a question mark next to it. Nothing else is said, however. After all this, Cadence speaks up, "Find what you're looking for?"

"

The phrase is circled with a question mark next to it. Nothing else is said, however. After all this, Cadence speaks up, "Find what you're looking for?"

Wonder's feelings are decidedly mixed at this turn of events. The news that this woman evidently didn't know who was the Golden Age Valkyrie at least means she was innocent, and he reminds himself to celebrate that victory. Even if the alternative is so depressing.

Wonder looks down at the notebook, an odd expression on his face. "These are very good. I like the Horus especially, it's very true-to-life. Your sister had some real talent." He closes the book, then looks up at her. "Have you met her? The new Valkyrie?"

At the question, Cadence hesitates, "Uh, yeah. We've met. She, um... I don't know anything about her, if that's what you're asking." She throws the end of the carrot into the bin under the sink. "You know, I've seen her around, but I've never... I don't know why she looks like my sister's character..."

At the question, Cadence hesitates, "Uh, yeah. We've met. She, um... I don't know anything about her, if that's what you're asking." She throws the end of the carrot into the bin under the sink. "You know, I've seen her around, but I've never... I don't know why she looks like my sister's character..."

Wonder rises to his feet, gently sipping his tea. "How did the two of you meet?" he asks, wishing he knew how to read women of this generation better. "Did she seek you out?"

Cadence's eyes shift from place to place, "Oh, uh, we... well, it's a funny story actually, you see, she, uh..." With that, there was a knock at the door. Cadence jumped a little, as if startled, "Oh! Um, if you'll excuse me for a minute." She walked out of the room, leaving the good Captain alone with his thoughts.

For a time it's quiet. Cadence can be heard opening the door, followed by the sound of muffled dialogue. After a few moments, however, the voices don't become so muffled and Captain Wonder hears a familiar voice, "Pleez! I muzt zee her!" Before he can react, Cadence is seen through the kitchen door walking backwards down the hall, keeping her eyes toward the front door, "Look, Mr. Rainheart, or whatever you said. I told you, Valkyrie doesn't live here - I don't know what you're talking about!" The man will not be placated, he walks forward, framing himself in the kitchen door. Captain Wonder recognises him straight away, even though the black uniform he used to wear has been replaced by ratty, modern day garb. The man sees Captain Wonder at the same time the all-American hero sees him. "You!" He screams, suddenly angry, "You are somezing I do remember!" Something Captain Wonder remembers is the large hammer the the man is weilding. That hammer once belonged, as it seems is the case once again, to Donar, the Nazi lord of thunder!

The sheer surprise of seeing a man he thought dead sixty years, alive and empowered, is enough to leave Captain Wonder actually at a loss for words for just a moment. "Reinhardt!" On his feet, Wonder balls his hands into fists, already calculating what he needs to go. Get him out of the house, get him out of this neighborhood... And sixty years earlier, that's exactly what he would have done. But though he still thinks like the Wonderful Wowser of the Golden Age, Fred Fawcett is a more seasoned man.

"Or should I call you Donar? Have Aesir and Vanir again turned against their brothers and sisters of the sky?" He catches Cadence's gaze as he moves between them, trying to keep the civilian out of the line of fire. He knows just how hard Donar hits, and just how powerful is his hammer's lightning.

"Don't you mention zair namez, zey..." he faulters, but quickly reaffirms himself, "Even now, in zis time, you zeek to thwart us. Me. Vell no more." He lifts his hammer before him, his face is desperate and agressive, but there is something wrong here. Something about the whole scene that's just a little off. In any case, the German lurches forward - it seems he's more than willing to push through Captain Wonder to get to Cadence...

"Don't you mention zair namez, zey..." he faulters, but quickly reaffirms himself, "Even now, in zis time, you zeek to thwart us. Me. Vell no more." He lifts his hammer before him, his face is desperate and agressive, but there is something wrong here. Something about the whole scene that's just a little off. In any case, the German lurches forward - it seems he's more than willing to push through Captain Wonder to get to Cadence...

Wonder tilts his head, studying Donar. He doesn't actually relax his posture, not when he's facing anyone who looks like that, but he does grow considerably more thoughtful. "No," he says evenly, standing between Reinhardt and Cadence. "Karl Reinhardt is dead. I saw him strapped into the electric chair on October 16, 1946 at Landswulf Prison." He meets Donar's eyes unflinchingly, fearless even of the angry god. "I don't know who you think you are, but that's a pretty cheap imitation. I bet you can't even summon a cloudburst with that thing."

For a single moment, Donar is silent. That moment end abruptly and violently, however - "I am not dead!" He screams this at the top of his lungs and lifts the hammer up high, swinging wildly at Captain Wonder. The hammer flies wide and erratic, embedding itself in the wall of the apartment. Cadence lets out a cry, but quickly silences. It's in that second that another cry echoes through the house. A woman's voice from down the hall. "Valkyrie!" Donar cries. He pushes down the hall, making his way toward the sound.

For a single moment, Donar is silent. That moment end abruptly and violently, however - "I am not dead!" He screams this at the top of his lungs and lifts the hammer up high, swinging wildly at Captain Wonder. The hammer flies wide and erratic, embedding itself in the wall of the apartment. Cadence lets out a cry, but quickly silences. It's in that second that another cry echoes through the house. A woman's voice from down the hall. "Valkyrie!" Donar cries. He pushes down the hall, making his way toward the sound.

Having seen that hammer blast the cupola off a Sherman tank, Wonder knows the fact that the house is still standing is a good confirmation of his theory that this is indeed an imposter. But that doesn't change the fact that he needs to get Donar out of the building and away from the civilian(s?) as soon as possible. "Not today, Fauxnar!" The banter hasn't changed much from the old days.

Wonder doesn't bother with fancy manuevers in these confined quarters; he lowers his shoulder and powers it into Donar's chest as hard as he can.

• 1 month later...

Donar doesn't have much time to react, and he doesn't make the most of what he has. He brings his arms up, but Captain Wonder slams him through the wall, following along with him. The wall now has a large, vaguely man-shaped hole in it. Donar and Captain Wonder stand next to one another in the street as a car screeches around the two of them.

Donar shakes his head and bits of concrete dust fall from his red hair. He looks back up to Captain Wonder with a confused look on his face, growing angrier by the second.

"You zink that my hammer cannot summon a drizzle? I am ze storm," he says. He slams his hands together mightily, blowing back a lot of the wall that Captain Wonder had just knocked out into the street. Of course, Captain Wonder himself also has to do his part to avoid being knocked around by the air itself.

"You zink that my hammer cannot summon a drizzle? I am ze storm," he says. He slams his hands together mightily, blowing back a lot of the wall that Captain Wonder had just knocked out into the street. Of course, Captain Wonder himself also has to do his part to avoid being knocked around by the air itself.

With his own divine powers protecting him, Wonder dodges the blast of super-smashed air with a flash of white and gold. He's knocked about a bit by the blast itself, his hair knocked out of its familiar style, but he takes the hit unscathed.

Wonder meets Donar's attack with one of his own, diving down to ground level to wrap his arms around the putative Norse god. "Hold still, blast you! This is a neighborhood full of civilians!" While they struggle, Wonder does his best to suss out this man's fighting style. He's not using the hammer, but does he fight like the Donar of old?

Donar struggles mightly with Captain Wonder as the hero wraps his arms around him.

"Mortals should know to run when a god is fighting near zem," Donar says, right in Captain Wonder's face. His breath smells of alcohol, and his eyes are reddened. "You were ze one who knocked me out here; leave me and protect zem if you wish."

It's clear that Donar isn't as powerful as Captain Wonder, though that may have something to do with lacking his hammer. Captain Wonder vaguely remembers that Donar was most proud of his enchanted hammer, but he doesn't even seem to be moving toward where it fell in the house.

Captain Wonder vaguely remembers that Donar was most proud of his enchanted hammer, but he doesn't even seem to be moving toward where it fell in the house.

Despite Wonder's best efforts, he just can't hold on to the former Ubersoldaten. He thinks fast, gambling on a way to keep himself between Donar and the innocent people in the neighborhood. "You always were a slippery so-and-so, Wotanson!"

"Maybe that's why you couldn't hold onto your hammer. Or onto your Valkyrie." Taunting isn't really his thing, not these days, but there are few people he hates worse than Nazis. He sneers at him. "That's why you never could beat me."

That, as it happens, is a lie; one of Captain Wonder's earliest wartime exploits ended with him beaten down by that $(%( Mjolnoir. But that particular adventure didn't make it into the pages of Captain Wonder, nor was it released to the general public thanks to the involvement of super-secret-agent Kilroy. If this is the real Donar, he'll know the difference, but if he isn't...

Donar looks straight into Captain Wonder's eyes. Even though the champion of the gods of Egypt no longer feels fear the way ordinary men and women do, he's certainly capable of recognizing the rage that is taking over Donar. All of the Norse god's attention is focused on Captain Wonder.

"I remember you at my feet, bleeding and unconscious. It is a good memory. I want to see zat sight again," he says. He steps forward, dealing Captain Wonder a vicious uppercut to the jaw.

Donar looks straight into Captain Wonder's eyes. Even though the champion of the gods of Egypt no longer feels fear the way ordinary men and women do, he's certainly capable of recognizing the rage that is taking over Donar. All of the Norse god's attention is focused on Captain Wonder.

"I remember you at my feet, bleeding and unconscious. It is a good memory. I want to see zat sight again," he says. He steps forward, dealing Captain Wonder a vicious uppercut to the jaw.

There is a crash as Donar's mighty blow connects with Captain Wonder's rugged jaw, a blow powerful enough to cleave through steel that echoes through the streets of the once-quiet neighborhood. The mighty punch leaves Captain Wonder standing absolutely unscathed, grinning angrily at Donar.

Fred's no dummy, but mysteries aren't his area of expertise. He doesn't know who this is. But he does know what you do with Nazis. "Not today, Ratzi!" The words come back as easily as if he's been speaking them his whole life as Wonder draws back his fist and hurls a powerful punch of his own at Donar, aiming to punch him straight up into the air.

Donar staggers back slightly, but the only sign that he's injured is a slight cut on his lip. Blood comes out from the edge, and it's red as any man's.

The time for words has passed. Donar reaches out and grabs Captain Wonder by the shoulders. He leans back slightly, then slams forward, dealing Captain Thunder a vicious headbutt. He's breathing heavily from his exertions, and the shoddy clothes he wore have been tearing as he uses his full strength against his hated foe.

Despite the awesome power of the god of thunder, Wonder manages to pull his head back at the last moment, narrowly avoiding a bone-shattering blow from Donar. Despite his earlier show of power, Fred's no fool. Even with Donar's hammer out of the way and the god himself injured, this is going to be a tough fight. They have to get away from the civilians!

He draws back and throws a mighty punch, his own enthusiasm for the battle leaving him wide-open as it strikes the air.

The force of the punch sends Captain Wonder staggering back, blood running from his own split lip.Wonder thinks fast. If he can't get Donar into the air, then perhaps he can take advantage of the sky! With a flash of color, Wonder rockets up into the air, powering downward again like a piledriver to blow into the god's face.

"C'mon," he taunts from up in the air outside of the reach of those powerful fists, trying to keep Donar's attention on him rather than on the civilian around, "summon your chariot and fly to meet me in battle? Or is the sky beyond your reach?"

This unexpected angle catches Donar looking the wrong way. Combined with Captain Wonder's strength, it's a knockout blow. Donar falls down to the pavement, eyes trying hard to focus on the hero. As he loses consciousness, he says "Must warn her... Ragnarok is coming..."

Wonder wipes his bleeding lip, coming in for a landing at the feet of the fallen god. He checks Donar carefully, making sure he's not shamming his unconsciousness, before going back to check on the civilians. He's still curious about this mystery, but there are other people to worry about now. He sticks his head in the door he came from, calling up "Everything okay in here?"