Distant Thunder

shazam

Gizotti throws his hands up, "Of course, the investigation." He'd obviously had his mind on other, more profitable ventures at the time. "You said something about someone being in danger? In this office? Who's endangering them?" He walks around to the back of the desk and makes himself comfortable in his chair.

"Valkyrie. The author of the Valkyrie series, to be specific, is in danger. There is only so much I can tell you, else I would have gone to the police myself. In recent years worship of the Aesir and Vanir, the Old Norse gods, has grown tremendously. Many of these new worshippers are fanatical, some of them mad." This is a subject Fred feels strongly about; having fought Donar and the first Valkyrie as his worst enemies in the war years. He doesn't need deception to lend weight to his words.

"Some of them...object to the portrayal of a Norse champion who does not share their sensibilities about the need to worship Donar, or the need to banish the 'lesser races' from the Earth." Wonder's contempt for the worshippers of the Norse gods is...understandable. "The creator of Valkyrie has been named as a target. I need to speak to this writer myself, so that I might help protect him from this danger."

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gizotti listens intently - he's obviously picking up what Captain Wonder is putting down. When the good Captain finished, Gizotti furrows his brow and leans back in his chair, "Valkyrie... Valkyrie..." He's thinking, trying to remember. "I'm pretty certain I recall something..." he leans forward once again and begins tapping on his laptop, "...not from our office, mind you, but there was something..." he trails off as his mind gets enveloped by his search. After a few moments he seems satisfied, "Ah, this is what I was looking for." He turns the laptop around so that Captain Wonder can see it. On the screen is the image of the Valkyrie comic that the hero had seen earlier. Gizotti leans on his chair so that he can see the screen as well, "Yeah, Valkyrie. This was a one shot. Yeah, the editors over at the main office released it to see how sales would go - they were trying for the young, female market. There wasn't much after this..." Gizotti goes back to the computer, typing away as he does so, finally settling on another page full of statistics and numbers, "Yeah, see, there was the only one issue. Sales were good, so I don't really understand why they didn't continue with it." Gizotti seems puzzled.

Gizotti listens intently - he's obviously picking up what Captain Wonder is putting down. When the good Captain finished, Gizotti furrows his brow and leans back in his chair, "Valkyrie... Valkyrie..." He's thinking, trying to remember. "I'm pretty certain I recall something..." he leans forward once again and begins tapping on his laptop, "...not from our office, mind you, but there was something..." he trails off as his mind gets enveloped by his search. After a few moments he seems satisfied, "Ah, this is what I was looking for." He turns the laptop around so that Captain Wonder can see it. On the screen is the image of the Valkyrie comic that the hero had seen earlier. Gizotti leans on his chair so that he can see the screen as well, "Yeah, Valkyrie. This was a one shot. Yeah, the editors over at the main office released it to see how sales would go - they were trying for the young, female market. There wasn't much after this..." Gizotti goes back to the computer, typing away as he does so, finally settling on another page full of statistics and numbers, "Yeah, see, there was the only one issue. Sales were good, so I don't really understand why they didn't continue with it." Gizotti seems puzzled.

..."Yeah, see, there was the only one issue. Sales were good, so I don't really understand why they didn't continue with it." Gizotti seems puzzled.

Wonder blinks. But if you get your own book, why on Earth would they cancel it? Apparantly the comics indutry is yet another thing about the world of superheroes where he needs an education. Maybe he could come back here later. "Insane Norse-worshippers only need to be offended once. The slightest hint is enough to get them all lathered up." He peers over Gizotti's shoulder, trying to catch a glimpse of the creator's name.

..."Yeah, see, there was the only one issue. Sales were good, so I don't really understand why they didn't continue with it." Gizotti seems puzzled.

Wonder blinks. But if you get your own book, why on Earth would they cancel it? Apparantly the comics indutry is yet another thing about the world of superheroes where he needs an education. Maybe he could come back here later. "Insane Norse-worshippers only need to be offended once. The slightest hint is enough to get them all lathered up." He peers over Gizotti's shoulder, trying to catch a glimpse of the creator's name.

Gizotti rubs his face, "Curiouser and curiouser." Without a word he picks up the phone and dials a number, not taking his eyes off the screen. After a few rings, the other end is picked up, "Drew? It's Gizotti, yeah. Listen, I need some info..." What follows is a conversation between the two as they try to work out what happened to the writer of the book. Gizotti says the name a couple of times - Rose Lovell. After a time it seems he gets his answer and it sobers him. Solemly he hangs up the phone, thanking the man on the other end, and turns to Captain Wonder, "Well, we know why there was only one issue - seems the woman writer died not long after penning it." He scrathces his chin, "You don't think..." he trails off once again - it seems to be a habit with the man. He stands up and walks to the window, "I mean, it seems like this Lovell woman died when the Valkyrie hero showed up. We didn't touch it because we don't do established heroes - we thought it was probably just an impersonator, but..." He turns back to Captian Wonder, "...what if this Valkyrie hero is the person who killed Lovell?"

Gizotti rubs his face, "Curiouser and curiouser." Without a word he picks up the phone and dials a number, not taking his eyes off the screen. After a few rings, the other end is picked up, "Drew? It's Gizotti, yeah. Listen, I need some info..." What follows is a conversation between the two as they try to work out what happened to the writer of the book. Gizotti says the name a couple of times - Rose Lovell. After a time it seems he gets his answer and it sobers him. Solemly he hangs up the phone, thanking the man on the other end, and turns to Captain Wonder, "Well, we know why there was only one issue - seems the woman writer died not long after penning it." He scrathces his chin, "You don't think..." he trails off once again - it seems to be a habit with the man. He stands up and walks to the window, "I mean, it seems like this Lovell woman died when the Valkyrie hero showed up. We didn't touch it because we don't do established heroes - we thought it was probably just an impersonator, but..." He turns back to Captian Wonder, "...what if this Valkyrie hero is the person who killed Lovell?"

Gizotti shrugs, "Drew didn't know. We just keep a database on reasons why scripts and lines were cancelled. Code B11, what Drew saw, means that the creator has passed, and that's all it says." Gizotti remains thoughful, "Why start this investigation now? What if there is someone still in danger? I mean, you said that these worshipers were gettin' worse, right? Well, what if this Rose had, like, friends or something? What if she was involved with the cult, but was trying to get out? Perhaps the comic was her way of telling truth to the world in a disguised way? Maybe she didn't disguise it enough and so her former allies killed her?" He's making incredible leaps of logic - it's obvious that he's a writer.

Gizotti shrugs, "Drew didn't know. We just keep a database on reasons why scripts and lines were cancelled. Code B11, what Drew saw, means that the creator has passed, and that's all it says." Gizotti remains thoughful, "Why start this investigation now? What if there is someone still in danger? I mean, you said that these worshipers were gettin' worse, right? Well, what if this Rose had, like, friends or something? What if she was involved with the cult, but was trying to get out? Perhaps the comic was her way of telling truth to the world in a disguised way? Maybe she didn't disguise it enough and so her former allies killed her?" He's making incredible leaps of logic - it's obvious that he's a writer.

"Don't worry," Wonder tells him comfortingly, "I'll do all I can to find how she died, and what this Valkyrie had to do with it. I swear this for you." He thinks hard, drumming his fingers against his table. "Can you give me everything you had on Rose? I know you have certain confidentality agreements, but I'm sure most of those are null and void with her death. Starting with what you have will give me a great advantage in getting to the bottom of this mystery."

"Don't worry," Wonder tells him comfortingly, "I'll do all I can to find how she died, and what this Valkyrie had to do with it. I swear this for you." He thinks hard, drumming his fingers against his table. "Can you give me everything you had on Rose? I know you have certain confidentality agreements, but I'm sure most of those are null and void with her death. Starting with what you have will give me a great advantage in getting to the bottom of this mystery."

Gizotti nods thoughtfully and then goes back to his phone. He asks Drew to send over everything that he had on "...that Rose girl." and before long he's printing out the email he was sent. He sends away two sub editors and a writer to come to his door looking for direction and hands you the few pieces of paper. "Here you go - there's a last known adress in there. Where we were sending her cheques and the like. It's got her resumé as well - places she studied, her referees, that kind of thing." It seems Gizotti is very eager to help - he has the air of a young boy about him who's aiding his dad in the work shop.

Gizotti nods thoughtfully and then goes back to his phone. He asks Drew to send over everything that he had on "...that Rose girl." and before long he's printing out the email he was sent. He sends away two sub editors and a writer to come to his door looking for direction and hands you the few pieces of paper. "Here you go - there's a last known adress in there. Where we were sending her cheques and the like. It's got her resumé as well - places she studied, her referees, that kind of thing." It seems Gizotti is very eager to help - he has the air of a young boy about him who's aiding his dad in the work shop.

"Thank you," says Wonder honestly, feeling a little bad for lying to this eager young man. It's not his fault that seedy characters have been doing unsavory things with his company and its intellectual property. With the papers under his arm, he thinks for just a moment. "I'll tell you what, Darren. When I finish with this, I'll come in and we can talk about re-establishing the authorized rights to the adventures of Captain Wonder." He smiles and shakes Gizotti's hand firmly.

"Thank you," says Wonder honestly, feeling a little bad for lying to this eager young man. It's not his fault that seedy characters have been doing unsavory things with his company and its intellectual property. With the papers under his arm, he thinks for just a moment. "I'll tell you what, Darren. When I finish with this, I'll come in and we can talk about re-establishing the authorized rights to the adventures of Captain Wonder." He smiles and shakes Gizotti's hand firmly.

Gizotti smiles broadly - it clould be said he gushes a little - and shakes Captain Wonder's hand with a chillike feverence.

"I'll tell you what, Darren. When I finish with this, I'll come in and we can talk about re-establishing the authorized rights to the adventures of Captain Wonder."

Gizotti merely nods firmly. "I'm just glad to be of some help, Captain. Honestly, I hope you get these guys." He pauses for a second, "Still, come back when it's all over! For sure."

Gizotti smiles broadly - it clould be said he gushes a little - and shakes Captain Wonder's hand with a chillike feverence.

"I'll tell you what, Darren. When I finish with this, I'll come in and we can talk about re-establishing the authorized rights to the adventures of Captain Wonder."

Gizotti merely nods firmly. "I'm just glad to be of some help, Captain. Honestly, I hope you get these guys." He pauses for a second, "Still, come back when it's all over! For sure."

Wonder nods, then smiles a little. "I'll make sure it makes for a great story," he promises, before flying off into the sky towards the address suggested to him by Gizotti.

Wonder nods, then smiles a little. "I'll make sure it makes for a great story," he promises, before flying off into the sky towards the address suggested to him by Gizotti.

Captain Wonder flies over Freedom City, the buildings and waterways stretching out below him and glittering in the sunlight. It's a beautiful day.

It takes about forty minutes for Captain Wonder to find the humble, suburban house that once belonged to Rose Lovell.

Captain Wonder flies over Freedom City, the buildings and waterways stretching out below him and glittering in the sunlight. It's a beautiful day.

It takes about forty minutes for Captain Wonder to find the humble, suburban house that once belonged to Rose Lovell.

Ever the direct hero, Wonder lands at the front door without bothering to conceal his approach and knocks firmly. He's on official business, after all, and the knowledge that the former occupant of this house is part of the mystery gives him confidence as he knocks.

Ever the direct hero, Wonder lands at the front door without bothering to conceal his approach and knocks firmly. He's on official business, after all, and the knowledge that the former occupant of this house is part of the mystery gives him confidence as he knocks.