Distant Thunder

shazam

Leaving Champions, Fred Fawcett had to make a serious admission to himself, one he would never dared have made to his best friends. The Sea-King Fish Sandwich was absolutely delicious. He'd already burned the calories for it. Walking to the Super Museum from the West End had been quite an exertion for the old man. But he'd made the effort because it was important, and he wasn't sorry he had. Freedom City hadn't forgotten its heroes of the Golden Age.

There was a whole wing set aside for the first generation of heroes, and a small theater set aside reserved just for newsreels and documentaries on the Liberty League and the Allies of Freedom. It wasn't enough, never enough for the sacrifices of his dead friends, but it was something. Though he hated the negative comparison to his own city, Fred couldn't help but remember the Wonder Museum. Memphis had erected a museum to its greatest hero in 1954, after he'd disappeared after the fight with Apep.

But funding had shrunk over the years as Memphis's city government had honored other heroes and other legacies, and as it became clear that Captain Wonder wasn't coming back. He'd visited it last only a few months before moving to Freedom City, and spent most of it fuming over dusty exhibits, absent tour guides, and broken toilets. The Super Museum, though, that was something. It was a good way to honor the past, and for a hero of a previous generation to learn about the heroes of today.

Fed and rested, Fred headed for a small informational kiosk near the front door. He knew how computers worked, at least a little, and this one was some sort of specialized unit set to search for information on Freedom City's superheroes. Kids probably used it for school projects, a very healthy outlet for their energies. Fred cracked his bony knuckles, stretched out thin fingers, and began to type. It didn't take him long to find what he was looking for.

"Valkyrie? VALKYRIE!?"

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving Champions, Fred Fawcett had to make a serious admission to himself, one he would never dared have made to his best friends. The Sea-King Fish Sandwich was absolutely delicious. He'd already burned the calories for it. Walking to the Super Museum from the West End had been quite an exertion for the old man. But he'd made the effort because it was important, and he wasn't sorry he had. Freedom City hadn't forgotten its heroes of the Golden Age.

There was a whole wing set aside for the first generation of heroes, and a small theater set aside reserved just for newsreels and documentaries on the Liberty League and the Allies of Freedom. It wasn't enough, never enough for the sacrifices of his dead friends, but it was something. Though he hated the negative comparison to his own city, Fred couldn't help but remember the Wonder Museum. Memphis had erected a museum to its greatest hero in 1954, after he'd disappeared after the fight with Apep.

But funding had shrunk over the years as Memphis's city government had honored other heroes and other legacies, and as it became clear that Captain Wonder wasn't coming back. He'd visited it last only a few months before moving to Freedom City, and spent most of it fuming over dusty exhibits, absent tour guides, and broken toilets. The Super Museum, though, that was something. It was a good way to honor the past, and for a hero of a previous generation to learn about the heroes of today.

Fed and rested, Fred headed for a small informational kiosk near the front door. He knew how computers worked, at least a little, and this one was some sort of specialized unit set to search for information on Freedom City's superheroes. Kids probably used it for school projects, a very healthy outlet for their energies. Fred cracked his bony knuckles, stretched out thin fingers, and began to type. It didn't take him long to find what he was looking for.

"Valkyrie? VALKYRIE!?"

"Valkyrie? VALKYRIE!?"

Fred peers at the pictures of the second Valkyrie, his eyes narrowing as he tries to make out her features. Well, she doesn't look like Ingrid Hildebrandt, either in her face or in her costume. It's hard to picture die Walkure seriously changing her costume, not when she was so Satanically proud of her magical empowerment by the Norse pantheon. And she'd always been a straightforward sort of fighter, with never any tricks like turning incorporeal.

Fred had been worried that an old villian had returned in a new disguise, just as she had back in the 1960s. That was still possible, certainly, but now he was faced with another possibility. Could it all be an accident, a confusion of names? Somehow that was even worse; even if this young lady had disregarded history, why hadn't anyone said anything? Daedalus? Captain Thunder? Lady Liberty?

The idea that all the heroes of this generation had forgotten the struggles of their predecessors was even more depressing than the thought that an old enemy had clouded their minds for her own nefarious purposes. Fred pushed himself away from an old man's maunderings, though, mastering himself as best he could. Another search found him the address for Milennium Comics, and after a few tries, he printed that off on the Museum's research printer. With paper in hand, he slowly made his way out of the museum, a man on a mission.

He wasn't Midnight or Bowman, a good street detective, but he had time and patience. He'd find the new Valkyrie, wherever she was, and he'd figure out exactly what were the true intentions of that young lady. Maybe they wouldn't talk to Fred Fawcett, but he knew someone who could get in the door at any comic book company easily.

In the nearest sheltered alley, a magic word cracked the air and transformed an old man into the shimmering caped paragon of Captain Wonder. In a moment, he was in the air, heading straight for Millenium Comics.

"Valkyrie? VALKYRIE!?"

Fred peers at the pictures of the second Valkyrie, his eyes narrowing as he tries to make out her features. Well, she doesn't look like Ingrid Hildebrandt, either in her face or in her costume. It's hard to picture die Walkure seriously changing her costume, not when she was so Satanically proud of her magical empowerment by the Norse pantheon. And she'd always been a straightforward sort of fighter, with never any tricks like turning incorporeal.

Fred had been worried that an old villian had returned in a new disguise, just as she had back in the 1960s. That was still possible, certainly, but now he was faced with another possibility. Could it all be an accident, a confusion of names? Somehow that was even worse; even if this young lady had disregarded history, why hadn't anyone said anything? Daedalus? Captain Thunder? Lady Liberty?

The idea that all the heroes of this generation had forgotten the struggles of their predecessors was even more depressing than the thought that an old enemy had clouded their minds for her own nefarious purposes. Fred pushed himself away from an old man's maunderings, though, mastering himself as best he could. Another search found him the address for Milennium Comics, and after a few tries, he printed that off on the Museum's research printer. With paper in hand, he slowly made his way out of the museum, a man on a mission.

He wasn't Midnight or Bowman, a good street detective, but he had time and patience. He'd find the new Valkyrie, wherever she was, and he'd figure out exactly what were the true intentions of that young lady. Maybe they wouldn't talk to Fred Fawcett, but he knew someone who could get in the door at any comic book company easily.

In the nearest sheltered alley, a magic word cracked the air and transformed an old man into the shimmering caped paragon of Captain Wonder. In a moment, he was in the air, heading straight for Millenium Comics.

In a moment, he was in the air, heading straight for Millenium Comics.

Captain Wonder enters the building by landing before the front door and striding in, like you do. He makes a beeline for a startled secretary, giving her a polite smile and his best gentlemanly manner. "Good afternoon, miss. I need to speak to the managing editor, please."

In a moment, he was in the air, heading straight for Millenium Comics.

Captain Wonder enters the building by landing before the front door and striding in, like you do. He makes a beeline for a startled secretary, giving her a polite smile and his best gentlemanly manner. "Good afternoon, miss. I need to speak to the managing editor, please."

The woman looks at Captain Wonder, regains her composure and holds a her index finger up, the international sign of 'one moment please'. She touches her earpiece and speaks into the mic attachment, "No, as I said before, Mr. Snyder will be out of the country for quite some time, I'm sorry..." her harsh tone indicated that she wasn't, "You'll just have to call back another time. Your manuscript is in safe hands, yes. Goodbye." The conversation seems to end itself before the woman looks once again to Captain Wonder. Her words are cheerful, but her facial expression is not, "Managing editor? I think you mean Artie, the penciller. Just wait over there with the others, he'll be down soon." She nods her toward the back of the room - there, sitting on chairs and chatting to each other, are three other men. They are each dressed as superheroes neither Captain Wonder nor Fred Fawcett would recognise. The receptionist goes back to her computer screen and begins transcribing a letter sitting next to her.

The woman looks at Captain Wonder, regains her composure and holds a her index finger up, the international sign of 'one moment please'. She touches her earpiece and speaks into the mic attachment, "No, as I said before, Mr. Snyder will be out of the country for quite some time, I'm sorry..." her harsh tone indicated that she wasn't, "You'll just have to call back another time. Your manuscript is in safe hands, yes. Goodbye." The conversation seems to end itself before the woman looks once again to Captain Wonder. Her words are cheerful, but her facial expression is not, "Managing editor? I think you mean Artie, the penciller. Just wait over there with the others, he'll be down soon." She nods her toward the back of the room - there, sitting on chairs and chatting to each other, are three other men. They are each dressed as superheroes neither Captain Wonder nor Fred Fawcett would recognise. The receptionist goes back to her computer screen and begins transcribing a letter sitting next to her.

The receptionist goes back to her computer screen and begins transcribing a letter sitting next to her.

Freddie Fawcett would have sat right down without thinking about it; Fred Fawcett had the same secretary for twenty-five years before his retirement. He knows when he's been dismissed, and with what prejudice. Put in with the fakers! But there's no use antagonizing a secretary, not when there are so many other ways to befriend them.

"Miss," he says politely, "if you could please let him know that I am investigating a threat made against one of your employees, I would be delighted to wait with those gentlemen until he is available."

It is a common belief that Golden Age superheroes don't lie. Those people don't remember the time the Centurion dressed up as a Freedom Flags pitcher to stop a cheating scandal, or all the times Bowman I used 'Fletch Beaumont', playboy newspaper publisher, as a front to fight crime. Those were better days.

The receptionist goes back to her computer screen and begins transcribing a letter sitting next to her.

Freddie Fawcett would have sat right down without thinking about it; Fred Fawcett had the same secretary for twenty-five years before his retirement. He knows when he's been dismissed, and with what prejudice. Put in with the fakers! But there's no use antagonizing a secretary, not when there are so many other ways to befriend them.

"Miss," he says politely, "if you could please let him know that I am investigating a threat made against one of your employees, I would be delighted to wait with those gentlemen until he is available."

It is a common belief that Golden Age superheroes don't lie. Those people don't remember the time the Centurion dressed up as a Freedom Flags pitcher to stop a cheating scandal, or all the times Bowman I used 'Fletch Beaumont', playboy newspaper publisher, as a front to fight crime. Those were better days.

The receptionist suddenly looks up again, this time a little more alarmed. "A threat, mister? That you're going to investigate?" She looks Captain Wonder over, suspiciously. She isn't sure about this guy - he seems nice enough, but she gets a lot of crack pots in here, and the fact that this crack pot was in a costume made things that little more off putting. It's obvious she doesn't recognise the Captain Wonder. "If there's a threat, I think I'd better call the..." she's cut off as two men enter the lobby from the elevator, talking. There's an older man with a receding hair line and a younger, thin man with chestnut hair to his shoulders. The older man is doing all the talking, gesticulating as he does so, "...and then I said to him, Billy, Bill - you can't play out these two stories together - it's ruining the continuity. I understand that they're both important, but how is Space Soldier with Captain Pluto out near Saturn, and also here to learn that his father has been kidnapped? It's just not feasible..." The receptionist sees them when they come in, "Oh, Artie, you're models are here." The man with the longer hair looks up and sees where the receptionist is indicating, "Oh, thanks Betty." He heads in their direction as Betty, the receptionist looks to the other man, "And Darren, this guy's for you." The older man, identified as Darren walk over to Captain Wonder, extending his hand for a hand shake. "Hi, I'm Darren Gizotti. I'm the Associate Editor here, what can I do for you? And I have to say, that's probably the best Captain Wonder costume I've seen in a long time. You make it yourself?"

The receptionist suddenly looks up again, this time a little more alarmed. "A threat, mister? That you're going to investigate?" She looks Captain Wonder over, suspiciously. She isn't sure about this guy - he seems nice enough, but she gets a lot of crack pots in here, and the fact that this crack pot was in a costume made things that little more off putting. It's obvious she doesn't recognise the Captain Wonder. "If there's a threat, I think I'd better call the..." she's cut off as two men enter the lobby from the elevator, talking. There's an older man with a receding hair line and a younger, thin man with chestnut hair to his shoulders. The older man is doing all the talking, gesticulating as he does so, "...and then I said to him, Billy, Bill - you can't play out these two stories together - it's ruining the continuity. I understand that they're both important, but how is Space Soldier with Captain Pluto out near Saturn, and also here to learn that his father has been kidnapped? It's just not feasible..." The receptionist sees them when they come in, "Oh, Artie, you're models are here." The man with the longer hair looks up and sees where the receptionist is indicating, "Oh, thanks Betty." He heads in their direction as Betty, the receptionist looks to the other man, "And Darren, this guy's for you." The older man, identified as Darren walk over to Captain Wonder, extending his hand for a hand shake. "Hi, I'm Darren Gizotti. I'm the Associate Editor here, what can I do for you? And I have to say, that's probably the best Captain Wonder costume I've seen in a long time. You make it yourself?"

And I have to say, that's probably the best Captain Wonder costume I've seen in a long time. You make it yourself?"

Wonder shakes the man's hand automatically, his words taking a moment to register. The wisdom of Imhotep keeps him from cussing, even with the Egyptian allusions ("By the wound of Osiris!") he used back in the 1940s. Instead, he releases Gizotti's hand and flies a good two feet in the air. Let that speak for him.

"Darren Gizotti, I have come with grave news. A foe has emerged from the old days that poses a menace to one in this very building. I speak of the creator of your own Valkyrie series. May I speak with that writer? This is a matter of some urgency."

A little unkindly, it occurs to Fred that nothing he's said is actually a lie...except that he doesn't plan to _menace_ the writer so much as gather what information he can.

And I have to say, that's probably the best Captain Wonder costume I've seen in a long time. You make it yourself?"

Wonder shakes the man's hand automatically, his words taking a moment to register. The wisdom of Imhotep keeps him from cussing, even with the Egyptian allusions ("By the wound of Osiris!") he used back in the 1940s. Instead, he releases Gizotti's hand and flies a good two feet in the air. Let that speak for him.

"Darren Gizotti, I have come with grave news. A foe has emerged from the old days that poses a menace to one in this very building. I speak of the creator of your own Valkyrie series. May I speak with that writer? This is a matter of some urgency."

A little unkindly, it occurs to Fred that nothing he's said is actually a lie...except that he doesn't plan to _menace_ the writer so much as gather what information he can.

The whole room seems to stop and stare at Captain Wonder. There is a moment of heavy silence before Mr. Gizotti speaks,"Really? Well..." he's a little flustered, "...perhaps you'd better come into my office." He begins to usher Captain Wonder toward the elevator, making sure to give one last order to the the receptionist, "Uh, Betty, hold my calls, will you?"

The whole room seems to stop and stare at Captain Wonder. There is a moment of heavy silence before Mr. Gizotti speaks,"Really? Well..." he's a little flustered, "...perhaps you'd better come into my office." He begins to usher Captain Wonder toward the elevator, making sure to give one last order to the the receptionist, "Uh, Betty, hold my calls, will you?"

Captain Wonder follows Gizotti into his office as discreetly as possible under the circumstances. (Which isn't much, really.) Fred's had odd experiences as a company executive himself, there's no use making things any more awkward for the man.

Captain Wonder follows Gizotti into his office as discreetly as possible under the circumstances. (Which isn't much, really.) Fred's had odd experiences as a company executive himself, there's no use making things any more awkward for the man.

After an awkward and thankfully short elevator ride, the duo come to the third floor of Millenium Comics. They make their way through the main room where various writers and artists are set to work creating works of endless wonder from tiny little cubicles. No-one seems to give a second glance to Captain Wonder, though a few people come to speak to Mr. Gizotti, but he brushes them aside with a "...not now." or promises of "...later."

Within moments the two are in a small office lit with natural light. Gizotti closes the door carefully behind them and indicates for Captain Wonder to sit in the chair opposite a messy table. Gizotti himself leans back on the table, furiously contempleting. He speaks, seemingly to himself, "Captain Wonder, eh? Captain Wonder..." a few more moments of careful introspection pass before he decides to include the superhero in the conversation, "Mr. Wonder - have you ever considered being a spokes person? Oh, what am I saying? You said something about someone being in danger. That right? But seriously, think about the possibilities of a spokes person." His arms are crossed across his chest, and he rocks back and forward, slowly releasing quite a bit of pent up energy.

After an awkward and thankfully short elevator ride, the duo come to the third floor of Millenium Comics. They make their way through the main room where various writers and artists are set to work creating works of endless wonder from tiny little cubicles. No-one seems to give a second glance to Captain Wonder, though a few people come to speak to Mr. Gizotti, but he brushes them aside with a "...not now." or promises of "...later."

Within moments the two are in a small office lit with natural light. Gizotti closes the door carefully behind them and indicates for Captain Wonder to sit in the chair opposite a messy table. Gizotti himself leans back on the table, furiously contempleting. He speaks, seemingly to himself, "Captain Wonder, eh? Captain Wonder..." a few more moments of careful introspection pass before he decides to include the superhero in the conversation, "Mr. Wonder - have you ever considered being a spokes person? Oh, what am I saying? You said something about someone being in danger. That right? But seriously, think about the possibilities of a spokes person." His arms are crossed across his chest, and he rocks back and forward, slowly releasing quite a bit of pent up energy.

His arms are crossed across his chest, and he rocks back and forward, slowly releasing quite a bit of pent up energy.

"My merchandise once outsold the Centurion's," says Wonder, trying to get a measure of the man's emotional bearings. "But I suppose an expert in the field already knows that. My image is in the public domain these days." Which is why I'm not _suing_ Ray Gardener till his hair turns brown again! he thinks irrelevantly. "I know this is a surprise to you, and I'm sorry for that. But I wouldn't trust anyone but myself with this investigation."

His arms are crossed across his chest, and he rocks back and forward, slowly releasing quite a bit of pent up energy.

"My merchandise once outsold the Centurion's," says Wonder, trying to get a measure of the man's emotional bearings. "But I suppose an expert in the field already knows that. My image is in the public domain these days." Which is why I'm not _suing_ Ray Gardener till his hair turns brown again! he thinks irrelevantly. "I know this is a surprise to you, and I'm sorry for that. But I wouldn't trust anyone but myself with this investigation."

Gizotti throws his hands up, "Of course, the investigation." He'd obviously had his mind on other, more profitable ventures at the time. "You said something about someone being in danger? In this office? Who's endangering them?" He walks around to the back of the desk and makes himself comfortable in his chair.

Gizotti throws his hands up, "Of course, the investigation." He'd obviously had his mind on other, more profitable ventures at the time. "You said something about someone being in danger? In this office? Who's endangering them?" He walks around to the back of the desk and makes himself comfortable in his chair.

"Valkyrie. The author of the Valkyrie series, to be specific, is in danger. There is only so much I can tell you, else I would have gone to the police myself. In recent years worship of the Aesir and Vanir, the Old Norse gods, has grown tremendously. Many of these new worshippers are fanatical, some of them mad." This is a subject Fred feels strongly about; having fought Donar and the first Valkyrie as his worst enemies in the war years. He doesn't need deception to lend weight to his words.

"Some of them...object to the portrayal of a Norse champion who does not share their sensibilities about the need to worship Donar, or the need to banish the 'lesser races' from the Earth." Wonder's contempt for the worshippers of the Norse gods is...understandable. "The creator of Valkyrie has been named as a target. I need to speak to this writer myself, so that I might help protect him from this danger."