Making Music Magic (IC)

Josh began unpacking his things, offering a nod in greeting to the instrumentalists that had already gathered in the room of the small recording studio settled in the Theatre District of Downtown Freedom. He did some session work for time to time, though it wasn't a usual thing; there were precious few big artists that recorded in Freedom, and those that did were usually bands. Still, there was always a place for a hired gun in the music industry. He even got picked up to play a big concert one time when the usual guy got sick, which was sort of cool.

It was unusual that the artist actually recorded with the session guys, though; usually Josh came down, laid down the track, and got a paycheck and his name in the liner notes. He had heard a thing or two about this "Annice", but he hadn't really heard her music. He knew that she had been big in the UK a couple years back, but hit some hard times and was looking to make a comeback. Not an unusual story, by any accounts. Still, he didn't know much.

That didn't stop the other guys from talking, though. The drummer, a skinny Asian man a few years older than him, turned towards the bassist, a young blond man. "Anyway, like I was saying. I hear this chick is a real diva. This probably isn't going to be fun. Still, a paycheck is a paycheck, right?" The bassist continued to tune his bass, chuckling. "Can't be that bad, right?" The man looked over to Josh, shrugging his shoulders. "What do you think, man?" Josh shook his head. "No clue, man. I don't follow the English scene too well, so all I know is from a Google search from last night, and that was mostly listening to music to get the feel. Guess we'll figure out."

Josh, finished packing up his guitar and began tuning. Once that was done, he began picking his way through a song that he had written not long ago to warm up, a slow, bluesy little piece of rock. It wasn't much more than a guitar line, but Josh figured he might clean it up one day and write lyrics. For now, though, it was just something fun to warm up with.

Agnes had been outside the room for almost five minutes trying to build up the courage to step into the room. This was it a real band with real musicians, she never actually played with a real band before, she couldn’t charm of fool these guy’s if she was no good they’d know it she’d know it.

After a day spent in a suit signing the last few documents that made the place 50% hers she’d decided to dress down wearing her most comfortable pair of jeans, some pink Converse and her Frisky and Mannish T-Shirt. She gone for a natural look with just a touch of make-up and her unruly hair tied back.

Right this was it time to take charge she straightened up, still a little jittery from too much coffee, and took decisive action.

She quietly slipped into the back of the room, just as Josh was beginning his rock blues number. One thing she could tell was actual talent, feeling the flow of the music she, almost subconsciously, began to sing along. Not full word, she wasn’t that good, just improvising sound like in Zeppelins "The Great Gig in the Sky".

Josh looked up from his playing when he heard someone singing along. He smiled at the woman before turning his attention back to the guitar, piecing his way through the last bars of the song. The bassist nodded along with the two, tapping his toes to the beat. The drummer just shook his head and continued setting up the kit. Once he finished, he removed the guitar's strap from his shoulder, stood up, and brushed his hair out of his eyes before replacing his hat and walking over to the vocalist.

"Heh, I was just thinking about writing some lyrics, but I think that actually might fit it better. Puts a little feeling into it, yeah? A little flavor." Getting a good look at the woman, he recognized the face from the videos he had watched last night. He turned to the other two, nodding towards Agnes. "Looks like we're up and working, gentlemen." Turning back, he offered another smile and a shrug. "Don't usually actually work with the artists on these gigs." He didn't comment further, leaving any kind of explanation she might feel like giving open. It wasn't really his place to pry anyway, but he was curious.

Well this was it the moment of truth when she found out if she could do this. It was a universal truth that there were two main players in a band the signer and the guitarist, if she could convince him she was a winner.

She walked over to close to him and looked up into his brown eyes. Damn he was attractive… wait no focus. She offered out a hand resisting the urge to touch his chest.

“Annice Stone, aka Annice Averbury. Friends call me Agnes.†She gave a small smile “We’ll start with Annice for now.â€

Gathering up her courage she went for the simple approach.

“To be honest, I’ve never played with a band before, I want to make sure I can do it before we start recording.â€

She wandered over to the Mic stand and adjusted it to her level.

“So what do you feel like playing?â€

Josh took her hand in a firm grip, smiling warmly in response. "Josh Brown, that's the only one I've got, but I like it." Well, not exactly true, but hey... "Nice to meet you. Mophead over there," Josh pointed to the blond bassist, who offered a smile and a wave as he continued setting up. "Is Matt. The grumpy looking guy on the drums is Steve." The drummer waved Josh away dismissively, drawing a chuckle from him and the bassist. When she mentioned never having played with a band before, he gave another warm smile, which he hoped was reassuring. "We're the session guys here most of the time. Don't worry about things too much. We like to pretend we're professionals, after all."

As Annice walked over to the mic stand, Josh walked over and picked up his guitar, slinging the strap over his shoulder and grabbing his pick from behind his ear. He shrugged as he made some last minute tuning changes to his guitar at Annice's question. "Hey, you're in charge here. Whatever helps you get comfortable; we're flexible."

A smile slowly spread across her face.

“Actual yes this is my studio, I signed all the documents.†Not be able to resist she did a little dance of joy “Well that’s blown any pretence of cool.â€

She gave a little blush and pretended to adjust the microphone stand.

“If this all works out I’m going to need a band. Cause I’m not going to hold you to a contract, not yet, but I’d like to use you for a tour if anything happens.â€

She gave a broad sweep of the studio.

“But first business, let’s start with a little Aretha to warm up.â€

She launched into a version of Respect.

Josh chuckled softly, as he continued to finish setting up. "If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty much the antithesis of cool myself, so you're not alone here." Matt chuckled as he took his bass up on his shoulder. "Speak for yourself man, I'm awesome." The three musicians finished setting up as Annice finished setting up the mic. "I, for one, would appreciate the work, but you should probably make sure we're actually good first, huh?"

When she called out a song to play, the three men launched into backing it up. They mostly kept low-key, letting the vocals take the lead on it. Josh, for one, didn't seem to be trying too hard on the relatively easy rhythm guitar backing line he was playing, though it was hard to find fault in his technique. It wasn't his job to add embellishments, after all. The three men in general were talented, and didn't seem to have much problem getting into the soul sound as they backed Annice up as she sang through the song.

“They do say that those who say they’re cool are normally the least cool of the lot, so there’s hope for you. And maybe even me.â€

She looked thoughtful for a moment.

“And you right I need to know just how good you are. So Mr Guitar Man why don’t you show us exactly what you can do.â€

She wandered over to a small fridge in the corner to grab a bottle of water. Deliberately, though stated as an afterthought, she added.

“And will see if the other two can keep up.â€

She stood there to watch the show, sipping her water.

Josh tipped his hat out of his face, a smile playing on his face. "Hmm, that sounds like some kind of challenge to me." The blond bassist chuckled softly. "I think she thinks you can't play, man." Josh stood up from where he was sitting, shifting his guitar on his shoulder slightly, getting relaxed. "Alright then, you got some requests, boss? Or should I just make something up? I know a thing or two about a thing or two, after all. Rock, pop, jazz, blues, classical. Hit me." He smiled, tucking his pick behind his ear.

Good he was taking the bait and most musicians liked to show off a little. But what to challenge him with?

Something a little challenging outside his comfort zone, then again he looked like he knew his stuff so that I itself could be a challenge.

Then again there were here to record some song, so best to start as they meant to go on.

“Balls back in my court huh. Okay then give me some pop, but with a hint of soul. If you think you’re up for it.â€

She was getting more relaxed now and her confidence wasn’t a bluff anymore.

Josh grinned, his features taking on a wolfish look. "Alright then, let's see here..." Josh had done some research into Annice's musical style, and had an idea of what she was looking for here. He launched into an improvised solo, blending an upbeat pop rhythm with a bit of blues sound. His musicianship was impeccable, even for a mostly improvisational piece. He noodled his way through the solo a bit more, before winding it down to a close with a bit of a flourish. Honestly, he had made it look fairly easy. He tipped his hat out of his eyes one more time, giving another grin. "That the kind of sound you're looking for, boss?"

Agnes tried not to look to impressed, damn this kid was good. Look like she might have got a lucky find. But in this ego fuelled field of music it wasn’t a good idea to show your hand to early.

“Not bad, you did your homework. I’m almost impressed. Though you missed the unnecessary key change before the last verse.â€

She sipped her water and gave a little smile.

“Now that was my old style, clichéd and workman like. I want a slightly different style. Instead of this…â€

Now her time to show off, she sang a few bars of one of “her†old songs almost pitch perfect. Then without missing a beat she shifted mid verse the style and tone of the song. Giving it a faster and more upbeat tone whilst all the while introducing more emotion and soul to the piece.

“…To something a little more like that.â€