Mimic Questions (and others)

Seren

Okay, so I finally figured out a concept that I'd like to play, and was working on the set-up for his powers and quickly came up to a question.

The idea is that he's a Form Changer, but is currently believes he's actually a Mimic.

Anyway, I wanted to make it so it would be easier for him to gain or lose size than most Mimics of equal power, so I thought I'd give him Growth and Shrinking. But I wasn't quite sure how much to cost the size change abilities. Specifically, how much is the limit to only being usable when mimicing targets of a different size category (Large or bigger for Growth, Small or smaller for Shrinking)?

I would think it's either a -2 flaw or a -1 flaw and a Drawback. If it's a Drawback, how much would it be worth?

Just to explain, I'm basing it on the power being linked to Mimic with the +1 extra, limited to only being able to be used while (actively) mimicing for a -1 flaw. But, they aren't even that useful, because he can only grow using it if mimicing a target larger than Medium size and shrink only if mimicing a target smaller than Medium size.

So, yes, basically it makes it so that I don't have to use Mimic points on size changes (although, I'm only planning to have 4 ranks, so it would still be necessary if I want to grow to Huge or shrink to Tiny). Plus, while it's technically possible for him to use it seperate from the target's appearance (as far as I know), he'll generally only be using it while copying appearances.

Although, while I'm at it, if it was a different size category, would it change how it affects the power?

Also, in this case, should I take the size changes in account for PL (I ask because I only grow/shrink when I could mimic it anyway)?

Lastly, so I know, are the maximum ranks per ability limited by the number of ranks in Mimic or allowed to go as high as the original owner and Mimic ranks allow? If they're limited, are the trade-offs of rank vs. points allowed?

(I hope that all made sense, and thanks in advance!)

Okay, so I finally figured out a concept that I'd like to play, and was working on the set-up for his powers and quickly came up to a question.

The idea is that he's a Form Changer, but is currently believes he's actually a Mimic.

Anyway, I wanted to make it so it would be easier for him to gain or lose size than most Mimics of equal power, so I thought I'd give him Growth and Shrinking. But I wasn't quite sure how much to cost the size change abilities. Specifically, how much is the limit to only being usable when mimicing targets of a different size category (Large or bigger for Growth, Small or smaller for Shrinking)?

I would think it's either a -2 flaw or a -1 flaw and a Drawback. If it's a Drawback, how much would it be worth?

Just to explain, I'm basing it on the power being linked to Mimic with the +1 extra, limited to only being able to be used while (actively) mimicing for a -1 flaw. But, they aren't even that useful, because he can only grow using it if mimicing a target larger than Medium size and shrink only if mimicing a target smaller than Medium size.

So, yes, basically it makes it so that I don't have to use Mimic points on size changes (although, I'm only planning to have 4 ranks, so it would still be necessary if I want to grow to Huge or shrink to Tiny). Plus, while it's technically possible for him to use it seperate from the target's appearance (as far as I know), he'll generally only be using it while copying appearances.

Although, while I'm at it, if it was a different size category, would it change how it affects the power?

Also, in this case, should I take the size changes in account for PL (I ask because I only grow/shrink when I could mimic it anyway)?

Lastly, so I know, are the maximum ranks per ability limited by the number of ranks in Mimic or allowed to go as high as the original owner and Mimic ranks allow? If they're limited, are the trade-offs of rank vs. points allowed?

(I hope that all made sense, and thanks in advance!)

Hmm.

Mimic X (Extras, Flaws, Power Feats, Power Drawbacks) Linked To Growth 4 (Limited: To maximum of Mimic Target's Size (-2))

AP: Mimic X (Extras, Flaws, Power Feats, Power Drawbacks) Linked To Shrinking 4 (Normal Strength (+1), Normal Toughness (+1); Limited: To minimum of Mimic Target's Size (-2))

The Mimic part is built as you like it, and "X" is however many ranks that you want to buy. I think that what you describe is sufficient for a -2 flaw.

The Variable Powers, such as Mimic or Shapeshift, have received errata. They now provide a pool of points that can be spent in any way (given tradeoff restrictions and tihngs like that). Because of this change, the choice to get fewer points at a higher rank or more points at a lower rank is no longer allowed.

Hmm.

Mimic X (Extras, Flaws, Power Feats, Power Drawbacks) Linked To Growth 4 (Limited: To maximum of Mimic Target's Size (-2))

AP: Mimic X (Extras, Flaws, Power Feats, Power Drawbacks) Linked To Shrinking 4 (Normal Strength (+1), Normal Toughness (+1); Limited: To minimum of Mimic Target's Size (-2))

The Mimic part is built as you like it, and "X" is however many ranks that you want to buy. I think that what you describe is sufficient for a -2 flaw.

The Variable Powers, such as Mimic or Shapeshift, have received errata. They now provide a pool of points that can be spent in any way (given tradeoff restrictions and tihngs like that). Because of this change, the choice to get fewer points at a higher rank or more points at a lower rank is no longer allowed.

Thanks! I was actually fine not having alternate powers, but that's simple enough that I like it. (Not that I haven't done quite complicated stuff before - for an example, see my Iron Man at ATT)

But five points plus the needed costs is a nice thing.

Errata, my old foe, you strike again...

As for your question, Doctor, I did think about that. It ended up being the story I had in mind for his early power usage that suggested Shapeshift wasn't right. It's also partially why I said form-changer, rather than shapeshifter (although I knew it wasn't the best choice).

See, he's able to manipulate his own body to the point that he can manipulate his own mind. He finds it easier when he's able to touch someone with the desired result, because his body is able to sense what needs to be changed. He doesn't know that - what he knows is that he can learn things others know by touching them (and has slowly come to realize that it's not just information he picks up, but the ability to use it).

Eventually (or at creation, depending on point requirements), I'm thinking he'll pick up a low ranked Shapeshift (possibly linked to Mimic) to show him getting past the idea that he needs to have someone else to base his form on, although it does help. Mentally, of course, he still needs it, because you can't easily imagine another person's mind.

So, currently, I'm thinking it'll be more convoluted than that - He's a body manipulator (does that work?) that thinks he's a mimic that pretends he's a palm-reader (really, it's just an excuse to give him time to use his power) and does heroics.

Thanks! I was actually fine not having alternate powers, but that's simple enough that I like it. (Not that I haven't done quite complicated stuff before - for an example, see my Iron Man at ATT)

But five points plus the needed costs is a nice thing.

Errata, my old foe, you strike again...

As for your question, Doctor, I did think about that. It ended up being the story I had in mind for his early power usage that suggested Shapeshift wasn't right. It's also partially why I said form-changer, rather than shapeshifter (although I knew it wasn't the best choice).

See, he's able to manipulate his own body to the point that he can manipulate his own mind. He finds it easier when he's able to touch someone with the desired result, because his body is able to sense what needs to be changed. He doesn't know that - what he knows is that he can learn things others know by touching them (and has slowly come to realize that it's not just information he picks up, but the ability to use it).

Eventually (or at creation, depending on point requirements), I'm thinking he'll pick up a low ranked Shapeshift (possibly linked to Mimic) to show him getting past the idea that he needs to have someone else to base his form on, although it does help. Mentally, of course, he still needs it, because you can't easily imagine another person's mind.

So, currently, I'm thinking it'll be more convoluted than that - He's a body manipulator (does that work?) that thinks he's a mimic that pretends he's a palm-reader (really, it's just an excuse to give him time to use his power) and does heroics.

Still sounds like Shapeshift to me, limited to only shifting into whomever he touches, with a Linked Mind Reading ability (and perhaps with a Drawback or Flaw to show he takes on unwanted mental aspects as well, if it's possible for the 'mimicked' psyche to take over). Doesn't matter that the character himself doesn't know exactly what's going on, what matters is what the Player and GMs/Refs know is going on.

At least, that's how I see it.

Still sounds like Shapeshift to me, limited to only shifting into whomever he touches, with a Linked Mind Reading ability (and perhaps with a Drawback or Flaw to show he takes on unwanted mental aspects as well, if it's possible for the 'mimicked' psyche to take over). Doesn't matter that the character himself doesn't know exactly what's going on, what matters is what the Player and GMs/Refs know is going on.

At least, that's how I see it.