Mara had been rather dreading this moment. Setting up the business was a lot of annoying logistics and paperwork; interviewing her new employees was just this side of headache-inducing stress and anxiety. But at some point a couple of the local newsgroups had caught wind that a 20-year-old was starting a successful new technology company, and with Halloween just ended and Thanksgiving too far away they'd decided to make a thing out of it.

She wasn't quite sure how word had gotten to them. She rather suspected a couple of her failed interviewees; the one with the neck tattoo especially had seemed a little vindictive when she (figuratively) tore his work apart. It wasn't her fault his technology was lethally radioactive....

right - public speech - focus She took a deep breath for about the fifteenth time, adjusting her suit jacket for the twentieth. probably something witty to say here - 'showtime'? - note to self - think up wittier lines

• 3 weeks later...

All that waiting and planning and fretting, the minutes that felt like hours and the hours that felt like days, and now that she was behind the podium Mara felt like time was blurring by. can't just stand here - come on - that's a lot of people - cameras! - calm down She swallowed the breakfast that was trying to un-eat itself and cleared her throat.

"Don't know what you were told, or what you were expecting. Not sure I should care. All you'll get is me, anyway. Will spare you some questions: name is Mara Hallomen, am probably as young as you were told, joke in my company's name is intentional on at least three levels, and do - I do not talk like I do because of any injury or mental problems."

She pulled a small, tight, and rather humorless smile. "Some of you are probably reaching for old case files or court records. Will save you the trouble: my father is a criminal. Not proven. But true. Have no evidence - you don't, I don't, don't ask - but going to come out eventually, so saying it here: I am not my father. I do not sell weapons. I will not sell weapons. But you bring us anything else, we will make it better, stronger, cheaper. That's what we do. That's what Hallomen's Advanced Experts does."

She paused, frowning. that's it? "....I think that's it. Not answering questions here, may answer in private if you can get an appointment. Receptionist inside will be organizing tours - good for pictures."

And then she stepped away from the podium to let people draw their own conclusions.

Mara's chief of security was waiting when she stepped off the podium, since she'd refused to get much out of arm's reach during the rush of strangers that came with the opening of the new facility. Dressed in her trim gray uniform, Erin White was nearly invisible, indistinguishable from the rest of the crowd. She much preferred it that way, easier to do her work. "That was good," she told Mara, who seemed like she could use it. "Spelled out the way it's going to be. You want me to clear the way back to your office?" Despite the refusal of questions, there were plenty of people obviously hoping for a few words with the young CEO.

Mara looked at the people (too many people - who did HR call) looking an awful lot like she wanted to crawl under something dark and wave a stick at anybody who came near. probably not a good idea - bad pr - could use a drink - also probably not a good idea "Thank you. Office - yes. ...no. Want to leave, probably shouldn't. Can endure for a while; probably good for me. Think some employees are going to start offering tours of low-security areas soon, anyway: show off a little, or...something. Should thin crowd a little."

Amid the surprisingly large audience a hand shot overhead and waved excitedly as the young woman it was attached to made her way rather forcefully through the crowd toward the stage, jockeying for position with those reporters not distracted by the offer of facility tours. Ellie Espadas would have rather been with her girlfriend during the nervous minutes leading up to the short speech but had ultimately been worried that it might have drawn questions in an unwanted direction. Even so, clad in a fitted vest over a professional looking blouse and slacks she'd secured a seat close enough to the front that she was able to beat the rest of the pack to the CEO, beaming from ear to ear. "So proud!" she began without preamble once she was close enough to be heard over the hubbub of the crowd without raising her voice. "All the proud."

Murdock had seen pictures of the CEO's lover in the security files he'd begun assembling, and of course Ellie had visited Mara during the last stages of the facility's construction: he stepped back like an opening canal gate at her approach, stepping forward again to screen his employer from the press of the crowd, ready at her signal to let through those of the well-wishers who she wished to speak with. A muscular, scarred figure in a security uniform, he was there as the obvious muscle of Mara's guards, a tactical situation he understood only too well. When she signaled she did wish to speak to the people approaching her, he gave way just enough. He had only once or twice imagined himself back on Nihilor, ready to open fire on the proles who approached Shadivan Steelgrave too closely as he addressed them about their doom. It really had been a good start to the day.

Erin stepped forward as well, neatly opening a wedge in the crowd to allow Ellie access to Mara without giving up control of the crowd. She signaled to a few of the guards on the other doors to start maneuvering people in the direction of the tour guides, all without being too pushy, of course. That was the pain in the ass of this civilian work, you couldn't just make people go where you wanted them to unless there was an emergency. So far, that hadn't been an issue today, knock on wood. HAX's opening had generated a fair amount of press, but so far, no supervillains. That couldn't last forever, but at least the press conference had gone well.

Mara blushed and ducked her head at Ellie's compliment, apparently completely unable to keep her composure this close to the crowd and suppress her pleasure at the praise. "Mostly glad it's done," she admitted, casting another eye over the collected people. "Well. Almost. Still some basement installation to do, some equipment for sensitive labs needs to be built. Can work on that later. Don't need it yet anyway. ....glad you came. Easier to do with you here. And you two, of course," she added, to her two super-security members. "I have muscle now."

She sounded amused at that, at least.

"Let's try not to encourage any super-villainous tendencies, muñequita," Ellie mock-chided, her broad smile not dimming a fraction despite her words. They both knew how important a step this was for the young inventor, not just the public appearance and renouncement of her father but the entire HAX endeavour. It was all she could do not to wrap Mara in a bear hug on the spot, and she distracted herself by turning to the pair of security guards. "Sorry to storm the gates, there, guys. So you need me out of the way?"

Naturally the medic approved heartily of the choice in staffing. She'd eventually had to reveal her real first name to Erin, of course. Between the auburn haired powerhouse's relationship with Fulcrum and new employment, trying to maintain the Jill Pique identity she'd adopted while at Claremont just hadn't been feasible. On the other hand, she'd pretended to have been meeting Steve Murdock for the first time, since the former Omegadrone had only ever met her in-costume. It was all a bit of a headache, but there was no questioning the trustworthiness or competency of either of them and if Mara was going to make herself a visible target Ellie was glad to have them around.

Murdock didn't speak, though he did nod at Ellie's approach, his eyes still riveted to the situation before them. He wasn't tense, not really, but all those eyes on a platform where he and his employer stood made him extremely aware and alert of everything that was going on. And there is an unknown enemy out there, one who threatens Mara's life and livelihood all the while. That there genuinely was a secret, lurking threat somewhere in the crowd, or perhaps watching from afar and scheming all the while, was a comfortable thought in Murdock's mind, slotting neatly into his view of the world, even a shining one like Earth-Prime.

Erin relaxed enough to give Ellie a cordial nod, even as she kept most of her attention on the room. The new guards were doing pretty well, she decided approvingly, funneling many of the guests out the side exits towards the tours and letting the crowded room thin out. "You're fine," she told Ellie, "there's a few minutes before the one-on-ones with VIPs have to start. You want anything to drink?" she asked Mara. There were secretaries and assistants who probably saw to that sort of thing, but on Day One, stuff was still getting ironed out.

"Yes. No." Mara pulled a face, glancing at the people on the other side of her muscle (hee), looking a bit like she wanted to make them disappear with the power of her mind, now that their purpose was served. not a good idea "Not a good idea. Never drink to excess, obviously, but bad image, maybe. Would feel weird in front of other people anyway."

She paused, and blinked. "Unless you meant water, or something. Not thirsty. Thank you."

"It would be illegal for you to consume intoxicating beverages in public," Murdock gently reminded his boss with a low rumble. He had no concern about what Mara did in her spare time, nor with the idea of teenagers drinking at all, but that Mara had immediately gone to alcohol was a bit of a concern. As the first reporters began addressing Mara, the lead a tall, muscular woman in a black and white blouse, Murdock took a step back to allow Mara to answer the first question: "Joan Collier, FCN. Do you think your company represents a challenge to Archetech and other 'traditional' super-tech companies operating in Freedom City?"

In the back, where the bodyguards stood, the unmiked Murdock murmured to Erin, "The standing reporter bypassed the security scanners with a medical pass. Be mindful of her."

Erin nodded, then took a second look at the reporter in question and relaxed fractionally. "It's okay," she told Murdock. "I know her. We can still toss her out if she asks too many obnoxious questions, but she's not going to start a fight or pull a gun." Erin worked herself around enough to get a good look at the byplay between Collier and Mara. Maybe Erin was sort-of friends with Joan, after the incident with the super-sharks last year, but she still had a reputation for being a tough reporter who didn't tend to look for the best in any situation. It was Mara's first day as a media figure, and Erin didn't intend to see her bullied.

"Joan Collier, FCN. Do you think your company represents a challenge to Archetech and other 'traditional' super-tech companies operating in Freedom City?"

Mara raised an eyebrow, trying to figure out what 'Joan Collier' was getting at. Her mind flipped through everything she knew about the woman, but it wasn't much - she did have to admit that the reporter was more physically impressive than the pictures she could pull from her memory had implied.

not much to go on - what I deserve for not watching news - probably should do that more - right - question - straightforward "Yes," she replied, flatly, the eyebrow still raised. "Different business model, obviously, but yes, competition. And, before you ask, very much taking advantage of Archetech's recent...problems. Timing is not a coincidence, though probably would have started company soon anyway."

Several steps behind Mara, Ellie managed to turn a reflexive fist pump at her girlfriend's deft handling of the first question into a reasonably inconspicuous straightening of her vest as she did her best to avoid drawing attention to herself and look like she was supposed to be there. The young medic briefly regretted not staying amongst the crowd at large until the question period had been dealt with but fortunately she'd had a lot of experience evading questions through calculated application of a coolly confident demeanor, having snuck into a number of patients' rooms shortly before they experienced unexpectedly speedy recoveries. Of course, that worked on tired, overworked hospital staff, not people who make their living by being observant and asking questions.

The answer was evidently the right one from Joan's look of hard satisfaction, and her follow-up questions which seemed to design to elicit good responses from Mara. No one could say the famously sharp-tongued reporter didn't treat some figures with respect. When another reporter stepped up to ask "How do you answer your critics who say that a woman of your age has no business running a supertech company in Freedom City's volatile market?", for a moment it looked as if Collier was about to punch him. But journalistic ethics were respected, and she stepped back to give the other reporter a turn.

That one Mara was ready for, if for no other reason than she'd had to answer it over and over in varying forms both during setting up the first few contracts and over the course of the new employee interviews.

So, she rolled her eyes a little (not terribly diplomatic, but she couldn't not) and brushed some hair back behind her ear. "Success. With success, I mean - it's an empirically testable theory. Stupid theory, but testable. Free market: if I'm too young or...female...to run a supertech company in Freedom City then HAX will fail. Might fail for other reasons, of course, but should be obvious which and why. If HAX doesn't fail - if it succeeds, grows, makes money, gets contracts, competes - then I'm not too young or female, and their biased theory is proven stupid to everyone. Not easy, but simple."

That didn't really satisfy the slimy reporter in question, his freckled face wrinkling in dismay at being so caught out, but it seemed to satisfy the crowd as a whole: in any event, Mara seemed to be getting positive coverage from what she'd said. After a few more questions, and lots of flashing pictures, it soon became obvious they weren't going to just leave: Mara herself would have to leave the stage if she didn't want to keep answering questions about her views on the new generation of Freedom League members, the role that young people had to play in millennial super-science, and in one bold question: "Do you have a secret identity? Are you a science-hero on the side?"

A short, derisive laugh sounded from slightly behind Mara, when Ellie stood with one arm folded across the front of her fitted vest, the elbow of is twin resting upon it so that her hand could rest thoughtfully across the side of her face. "Are you new or something?" she asked the last reporter to speak with a sardonic drawl, stepping forward to stand closer to the CEO being interviewed. "I ask because it seems like your bosses would want to send one of their clever reporters to cover the science and technology stories." She lifted the fingers from her face in a gesture of mild forbearance to silence any rebuttal, the move suffused with a lazy disdain. "But since you ask, yes, you've sussed it out. Mara Hallowmen is in fact Daedalus of the Freedom League. Good show, your Pulitzer's in mail." The sarcasm that dripped from the young woman's tone was so venomous more than one of the journalists closest to her in the crowd took an involuntary half-pace backward.

That got a laugh from the journalists, even the one who'd asked the question and been the target of Jill's barbed tongue. No one really expected people to answer the question "Are you a superhero?", and a funny answer was better than no answer at all: it made for better copy, and what else were journalists after. The worst that seemed to happen was lots of attention paid to both Mara and Ellie, cameras flashing and snapping, and seemed to make a fine end to the press conference as the interviewee and her people made their escape into the building, where dignitaries were in the capable hands of the rest of the security staff. "I have been thinking," Murdock was murmuring to Erin, "perhaps we should try to introduce Archimedes and Charlie. I worry he will grow unsocial in Mona's absence."

"I don't think most cats like socializing with other cats that much," Erin murmured back. She had her eyes on the crowd, but things were going smoothly enough to let her feel confident to chat a little. She and Murdock didn't have a whole lot in common that either of them were comfortable discussing, but they did both have new cats. "I mean, if you have two cats, they'll eventually probably play together and stuff, but you have to introduce them through closed doors for a couple days, stuff like that."

She shrugged, focusing in on one pushy-shovy interaction across the room until it became obvious that it was a couple of friendly journalists teasing each other. "If it were Oliver, I'd bring him over because he always knows how to handle himself, but Charlie's still a baby." Or close to it, though it was weird how long he seemed to be lingering in kittenhood. Maybe it had to do with being Oliver's kitten. Oliver had certainly never seemed to age. "Maybe he just needs more attention from you."

Mara made a snorting noise, hiding her mouth behind one hand to disguise the laughter she was (mostly) trying to keep down. "Armor adds a few inches," she managed, if only barely, between recomposing herself and the moment passing. "Much shorter without it."

As the pictures started (hate pictures - should smile? - won't bother if it isn't genuine), she spoke again with less volume and more sincerity. "Thank you," the engineer directed to Ellie, while trying to not look like she was whispering. "Think I owe you for that."

"So what else is new?" Ellie teased, sotto voce, her lips barely moving as she stood just far enough from Mara to be avoid generating any new questions. The young pre-med student wasn't sure if she's done the right thing, despite the thanks. On one hand, more than defusing a potentially awkward line of inquiry, she'd managed to shift the tone of the event favourably. On the other, the reporters were going to need to attribute her sardonic little outburst to someone and she hadn't really thought far enough ahead to know how to handle those questions.

Luckily, most of the reporters seemed especially interested in taking pictures of Mara first, Joan Collier making sure to egg her fellows along. "Hey, we've got Daedalus out of costume here, you better get all the pictures you can!" It looked like the press conference was about wrapping up, and they wanted to take care of business while they could. With the moment of sanity that got her, Joan got in close to Ellie. "We're going to need something for attribution," she said frankly to Ellie, having guessed that whatever the girl's story was, she wasn't interested in having it broadcast by some of Joan's less ethical fellows, "and you want it from me. Don't get me wrong, we're all sea monsters here, but I'm the one who doesn't eat kids for standing up for themselves." She smiled thinly.