Deals and Acquisitions (IC)

TheAbsurdist

October 17th, 2011

The courier service called to notify him that the letter had been delivered. There was some complaints, so he simply tripled their fee. Though Maxie's words rang in his head when he did that, but he shrugged it off. He had looked into getting a new building, one to accommodate his plan, but for now he was more than content with that. It still was thirty stories, an older building, but he rather liked it, the windows in his office could still be opened. Should the meeting need that.

The message had been simple, he had asked Lady Winter for the a few moments of her time at his office to discuss a job offer. Simple and to the point, if a little vague. He had notified the staff today that he might be having a special guest. And then he settled in, skimming over the various reports that had built up... well more accurate he was looking over his assistants notes, and then checking what needed to be checked. He knew he had to buckle down, but right now he was focused on casting his net. Hitting the intercom to call his secretary, "Audrey, would you please order out some lunch. I am feeling like Greek, a few gyros and some dolmas, make sure they have extra tzatziki. Get yourself whatever you want dear."

As had promised her Ms. van Cleef was currently away on a deserved vacation. Otherwise he'd be bouncing ideas off of her. Folding his hands behind his head he leaned back in his chair, and played the waiting game.

I wonder what this is all about... Lady Winter wondered as she slide across the sky on a rapidly forming platform of ice. She couldn't help but feel a little amused by that courier that came to her little mostly frozen over cottage. One would think that coming to the home of an ice-using heroine would motivate them to bring warmer clothing. Course, none of that mattered that much once she reached the Summit Transnational building. he brough herself down to ground level and headed inside, ignoring the awed looks from nearby pedestrians.

It took her a good minute to navigate the building but she eventually managed to find the Office of the man that had invited her here. She was still curious what he wanted. His message only vague mentioned a job offer and left it at that. Hopefully it was not some other trap for her like before when she got a message like this before. She approached the secretary, hoping the slight drop in temperature was not making her uncomfortable. "Hello, a Al-Misri invited me here about some sort of job. He's here yes?" She said.

Audrey did a double take at the woman walking up to her and nodded. "Yes, he is in. I'll buzz him for you." Pressing the intercom button, her breath coming out steaming from her nose, she cleared her throat. "Mr. al-Misri, your guest is here to see you."

"Excellent, have her come in." Audrey gestured to the double doors behind her.

"Right through there, ma'am." Then the secretary went back to her work.

Amir al-Misri met her at the door, and once she saw his face, she recognized him, maybe not from where, but he was a known figure in this town. He had a smile on his face, a crooked, sly expression, that hinted at a couple things. If he was bothered by her cold he did not seem to notice. "Hello Miss... hm, Lady Winter. I am Amir al-Misri, however in recent days I am almost know as Asad. I know you are wondering why I asked you here." At that he turned and walked into his large office, it was well appointed, especially with his new rugs. Which he rather liked a lot. He was dressed in dark gray slacks, and a white shirt with his collar open and sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He stopped at his large desk and leaned against it. "Simply, put, I want to offer you a job . The title is irrelevant, translator, personal assistant, bodyguard or something else to be thought of later. Now what is important is that I want to offer you a place in a team I am form. I find myself in an interesting position of having a substantial personal fortune, and now possessing superhuman abilities. And I wish to do good with the means at my disposal. You will retain your autonomy, as this team will be largely a confederation of like minded heroes, this is still in the early stages of development, and a field commander hasn't been selected yet. So... do at least have your interest?"

"Thank you." She said to Audrey as she stepped inside. The air seemed to get warmer without her around. Same could not be said about the office of the man that invited her here though.

Dasha did not expect Amir to go straight to business right away, or the details of a job that apparently involves a super team. "Perhaps a little." She said cautiously. The fact he sounded like he was going to pay well did raise her interest from a little after all. "Still a little curious why you picked me out of others running around the city. They are probably better known than me after all and the city does not have a shortage on heroes last time I checked." She said as she stood their, watching him carefully.

He looked at her, and grinned a little, chuckling a bit over her response. "You are skeptical, that is understandable. Simply put, I am an eccentric billionaire playboy, layabout twit. Or it is if you read any of the articles on me. I am not, however, stupid. My identity is public knowledge, and my hiring of you will be assumed to be based on some short sided thing of me having to have someone on staff who has powers and is attractive to boot" He pushed away from his desk and going to a cabinet, opening it up and pouring himself something amber out of a snifter and into a highball glass.

"Would you like something to drink?" Asked looking over his shoulder at her. He took a sip of his scotch and pondered her, for a few moments. Now he had to answer the why. "I have an idea in mind of who I want, I am looking at skills and abilities and the person as well. So I am offering the position in the team solely on the fact that I feel your abilities will lend well to teamwork, and how I envision the group functioning."

"Well, you seem smarter than most playboy Billionaires I have seen. Still, I would imagine you would have kept your powers secret. Would help those even smarter from taking advantage of that fact." Lady Winter said as she finally took a seat near the desk.

"Anything strong will do." She replied to his question. "It is good to know that my handful of achievements have at least been spotted. Must ask why your are putting together a team though. I do not have much experience with teams myself."

He poured her some vodka in another highball and brought it over to her, offering her the glass, not shying away from her when she took it from him. "I am followed almost daily by reporters and paparazzi, it is easier to hire a PR firm and deal with it from there, rather than try and hide. And I am a less than subtle person to begin with. I weighed the risks before my press conference, I understand what I undertake."

A pause and he took a sip of his glass. "I am wealthy. I can front a team without relying overmuch on anyone external. And I am mad enough to admit I need help, and that other heroes need help as well. I can supply the financial assets to do that. If I can get a group of heroes and get them affiliated with each other than they can continue to work together, being flexible, due to availability, and the flexibility to put forth requisite resources towards a given threat. Mmm, think of it this way, I am hiring you to be interpreter and bodyguard during normal affairs, sometimes we fight villainy, or you can see it as I am going to pay you to be a hero. I am not asking you to be subordinate me either."

Lady Winter seemed close to laughing when she got her drink. Its always Vodka! I wounder if someone will give me something else without thinking for once. She didn't seem to complain as she started to drink. "At least it is good you put thought into it. Still, there are other risks. Don't know what they are personally, but there probably are." She said as she leaned back.

"hmmm...Well, I do need the work. Is difficult to get regular job when one looks like a human sized version of smurfett. You may have a deal here. Only question left is who else are you thinking about adding to this team you are making? No need to answer if you have not found everyone yet of course."

He paused a moment, his brows knitting together as she seemed ready to laugh, then he glanced to the drink he had gotten her and he smiled. "Sorry, all I have is vodka and scotch at the moment, and I only have a little of the scotch left. I think my assistant cleaned me out." He rolled the glass between his palms as he looked at her. "I have a few people in mind, and I've already added some, King of Suits. Nice, cheery fellow, skilled investigator. Also, I have two other candidates, a man who breathes fire, and a man who can manipulate cloth. I've seen them both in action. There are others, but so far that is what I have."

He smiled a bit. "I may be a playboy, but I have some ability to defend myself as well. Employment would include benefits, company car, and a host of other perks. And I am working on garnering more influence as well, to help with the endeavors." He leaned back against of the desk again, and smiled as he looked at her.

"Quite observant of you. I still find it amusing though. A few others I have met from home country might find it a bit...Presumptuous if you did that to them though. Fair warning." Lady Winter said with a smile as she drank more from her glass. "Hm, the others you mention sound interesting. Best I stay clear of fire breather though. Open flame and I get along worse than most people must suffer through." She said as she looked serious. Though that vanished as the conversation moved on.

She thought it over a little bit looking at her glass as she contemplated the offer. "Well, other than the possibility I could be set aflame, I think this will work out. Medical for me is quite cheap after all. I think you have deal Mr. al-Misri." She said, smiling once again.

He laughed, and he looked at her. "If you want some scotch I can pour you some." He still smiled as he looked at her. "Good, I am glad the terms are amiable. Though please call me Amir." He extended a hand to her. Despite the fact he was public he hadn't really shared the details of his powers with anyone. Sure he could fly, but aside from some use of electrical blasts no one really knew what he could do, though he seemed to be at least tolerant of her cold.

"I find it easier if we keep the names informal." He smiled at her. "Welcome aboard... which reminds me, am I just going to call you Lady Winter, or do you have something I can shorten it to? I may just call you Win if left to my own devices."

Lady Winter laughed. "No need. This is just something that I find funny. Nothing more." She said as she leaned back and took another drink of her vodka. "You may call me whatever you like Amir. Just so long I can understand its me you are talking to. Confusion is not good for anyone."

"Is there other things to discuss here?" She asked, curious if there was anything else going on.

"Mm, well I think Winter will do nicely for now. I took the liberty of already working up your benefits package, and all that." He tapped a portfolio on his desk as he took a sip of his scotch. "I will need you to sign those papers. Also do you want your name and likeness to be trademarked? I have done that with mine, and am going to be setting aside money that earns towards a charity." He smirked a little, a little amused she hadn't asked about his abilities, but he had been careful to keep them close to the chest. Apart from those that he displayed.

"Well, I had just called in for lunch, tell me, do you like Greek food, there should be enough for two." Amir couldn't help but be slightly flirty with her, after all she was only going to be an employee on a technicality. Plus years of being that way with any woman who would tolerate or like his attention, it was just ingrained at this point.

Lady Winter raised an eyebrow at Asad. "Trademark myself? That is a strange request." She said. "I do not think it would be necessarily. Even if it is for a good cause, such an idea I am not comfortable with." Not to mention she had no idea what trademarking would entail exactly and would rather not do something she did not understand.

She did laugh a little as he continued, leaning forward just a little. "Ah, someone who plans ahead. Not often I find someone that smart or considerate these days." She said, trying to put on the charm without thinking. Years of tricking people into practically handing over their valuables tends to get ingrained into your thought process after all.

He shrugged a little, his expression nonplussed That little issue didn't matter, she had accepted. That made it two people under the banner, more to follow. "I am not a stereotypical hero. If you want to consider it, my resources are my super power. And I intend to use them. Also there is a public image that people have of me, and if I encourage it, then for awhile at least people will underestimate me as a dilettante of no consequence." He paused and looked at her, a grin on his face. "Hm, well if you do not wish to do that, I wont force the issue. My lawyers will be happy at least."

Now Amir was a bit of a player himself, he was not the best businessman in the world, but his company's success thrived on his smile, and his silver tongue. Winter could readily pick up on this, just like she could tell that whatever face he presented, something was going on behind that smile, though the expression was always genuine. "If I do not remember remember to eat someone in my retinue will complain until I do. And it would have been rude to eat in front of you, my friend, without having some for you. I may be a modern male," and then he added a bit of a drawl to his voice, "... but Allah did give me more than two cents in my skull to rub together there. And some traditions should be upheld, like hospitality. Which means, should it come to it, I have to stand in front of you to defeat your enemies as you are my guest. So I think ordering some extra gyros is really only a small thing to offer."

"Hm, never though throwing bags of money at would be effective at beating down bad guys." Lady Winter mused as she drank down what was left of her vodka. "I would hope you have something else as backup in case that tactic does not work." It was obvious to Asad that she was trying to find out what powers he actually had.

She placed her empty glass back onto the table, still smiling. "Smart and a Gentlemen. Even harder to find. I do admit I am in the mood for something. I do get tired of having to eat anything that doesn't require cooking."

He moved to sit in the other chair in front of his desk, it was better than sitting across from her. Easing into it, he finished the last bit of his drink. He smiled cagily, before setting the glass down to the side of the chair on the rather nice Persian rug. "Well, to respond to the latter of that, I was born in Manhattan, but I spent a good bit of my life abroad, and my family is... interestingly old fashion in some areas." Inclining his head to her, slightly. He was being evasive, and what's more he was being transparent about it. Almost taunting her with it. Since there was little she could do about it.

"Working with me, you'll find out soon enough. Wont you? Or do you want spoilers, Winter?" His tone was teasing, almost coy, it was easy to see he was having a lot of fun with it. "If you want to know make one of your giant ice weapons and hit me square in the face."

Lady Winters smile faded a little as she stood up. "Very vell." She said, letting a slight amount of annoyance slip through. Evasiveness was not a result she liked. On the bright side, she could now take it out on him. She stuck her hand out to her side, the air inside the office growing colder as ice started to form. In moments a large pole around seven or eight feet long had taken shape, the head of her new hammer at least as large a mans torso freezing in place. She heft it as she gave Asad a bit of a smirk.

"No turning back." And then she swung it, smashing it square in Asads face.

He watched her, his breath steaming out of his nose like he was a dragon. An inordinate amount for a man his size. Like he was warmer than a person ought to be. "Very well, my dear." And then she swung at him, and hit him in the face hard. It stung, a lot. It hurt. But it was like getting smacked. However, she'd notice that at the moment impact it was like all the force was gone from the blow, and the hammer was resting against his face. Slowly he reached up and lifted the hammer from his face with a hand, slowly he stood up and he smiled at her, a little ruddy from the cold that had been against his skin, but otherwise none the worse for wear. "As you can see, I am not terribly worried about getting hit or attacked. I would prefer to settle things without violence, even using my money as needed. However, if it comes down to it, every strike against me just makes me stronger. I am a taker. An almost living metaphor for capitalism."

He laughed softly, and shook his head. "I know a touch melodramatic, but it was actually necessary to demonstrate my power. I am immune to most small arms fire and the like. I absorb energy. I haven't exactly tested the fuller parameters of it, I was only mildly certain you weren't going to break my nose, and if you did... well at least there would have been ice to press to it." And he flashed her a disarming smile.

Lady Winter had a feeling that Asad possessed some way of stopping her blow. Super speed, phasing out, teleporting out of the way. Absorbing the force of her blow was not something she was expecting if the look of surprise on her face was any indication. "Well, that is certainly impressive."

She smiled as she started laughing. "I think you would have to be more worried about me sending you flying through a wall than just a broken nose." She managed to calmed down a little as she looked at her weapon still in her hands. "You wouldn't have a place for me to throw this away would you?"

No one expected the billionaire playboy to be bulletproof. He smiled at her, and held out his hand to take the hammer from her, he hefted it like it was nothing. "And of course, that energy I can take, I can use as well." Turning he swung the hammer about like it was light as feather, in time for his secretary to open the door holding a tray with several boxes of food on there, she looked wide eyed at her boss. "Ah, food, good! Thank you Audrey! Please set it on my desk." She recovered rather quickly with some blinking, and then moving to set the tray on the desk, and beat a retreat not wanting to ask anything else of Amir and certainly not his frigid appointment.

Then he walked to the side door. "And everyone thought I was indulgent to put a full bath with a shower stall adjacent to my office, ha!" Setting the hammer in the aforementioned stall, and then chuckling as he returned, looking at Winter, and grinned a little. "Foods here... Mmmmm I love lamb." He opened the boxes to inspect their contents. "Please eat, eat." He paused a moment, and closed his eye, saying something softly, "Bismillah hirahman niraheem." Then he reached out and snagged a dolma and popped it into his mouth, chewing delightedly.

"Well, is good to know you will survive getting run over by a truck." Lady Winter said, laughing to herself as she sat back down. Thankfully, the temperature seemed to be going back down to its slightly cool levels now that she was not actively using her powers. She did look on as Audrey delivered the food and scurried out. Poor dear.

She nodded and waited for Asad to make his prayer before eating. At least she assumed it was a prayer. "Hm, is good." she commented as she started chewing. "By the way, what does that mean?"

He popped another dolma into his mouth, and went to his drink cabinet, pouring himself some tonic water, and nothing else. "Would you like another? And it is me just saying grace, thanking Allah, that kind of thing. It seemed appropriate for the entry into an auspicious partnership." Inclining his head to her and nodding. There was some dark brown peasant bread that came with the meal, he tore off a piece, and chewed on it thoughtfully. "I hope it is not a problem I am Muslim. And do not worry you wont have to convert."

He flashed her a small grin, and took the plates off the tray and started to dish her up some of the gyros, and then did the same for himself. Anyway, the packet near you has all the papework you will need to sign."

"No thank you. I should be fine." Winter replied, continuing to eat her meal. "And it is not a problem. if it was, you would have known already."

She paused as she opened the packet. She didn't seem that phased when she noted down how much paper work was involved. "Well, best to get this over and done with now. Yes?" Winter said, reading over everything. Legal was not her strong point, but she would try to note down as much as she could. "Hm. You have a pen I can use?"

Fortunately the paperwork had been drawn up with superheroes in mind, that way they would only have to fill out their relevant names, and since the superhero name was a legal identity it made things so much easier. "Some people do not like working for a Muslim, it's always a good idea to check on these things. Now primarily you will be serving a couple roles, one, you'll be one of my assistants..." he paused and looked at her carefully, "...hm, I think we are going to have to expense account some clothes for you. Anyway, most of your assistance duties will be about translation, and the odd testing cold tolerances of stuff the tech boys think up, and the like. Also, I will be looking for input during construction of the headquarters. I expect less than 10 hours of actual work on an average week."

He ate idly, between sips of his tonic water. Shrugging a little and offering her a smile. "I will have all your things prepped shortly. Probably tomorrow, and we'll get you the phone, and all that other stuff. And a car. We will need to get you a car. Or would you prefer a driver?" At this point she would notice a part in the contract discussing the amount of pay, it was a six figure annual salary, a high six figure annual salary.