Light Lunch (IC)

Raveled

Tuesday, September 13, 2011
11:46 AM
Riverside Park, Riverside

The Sentry Statue was not what most people saw when they first entered Freedom City, but it was the city's most famous landmark. Almost any citizen, and certainly any hero, could have found it, which was why Liz Moya chose it for a meeting place with Young Britannia. There was a bench there, between the Statue's legs; Liz was sitting there in tan slacks and a bulky green sweater. She had told the other heroine to look for the sweater and the messenger bag she used to haul her schoolbooks around in, but with the lowering skies and colder temperatures (a side-effect, they said, of the Gorgon's approach) the outfit was eminently practical as well.

The student-hero had intended to sit there and keep an eye out for the fellow light manipulator, but she wasn't always the most patient person. The young woman decided to spend her extra time studying, and at the moment was nose-deep in a history book, trying to memorize the procession of US presidents. It was a subject she personally found mind-numbing, but it was required for her coursework so she bent all of her concentration to the task.

Damn her but this city was beginning to grow on her, maybe it was the time she'd spent away but she was sleeping well and the nightmare's hadn't returned.

And she had to admit the statue was impressive, she had planned to do the touristy bit towards the end of the visit anyhow.

Sipping her Starbase Coffee she scanned the crowd looking for the young woman. What did she say sweater (Jumper she mentally translated) and messenger bag. As well as that it had become a habit by now to be on the look out for any potential trouble.

She spotted the young woman fastidiously studying, moving as close as she could without startling her before clearing her throat.

“Hi there I'm Agnes I believe we arranged to meet?â€

Agnes' approach went unheard by the student and when she spoke it startled the other woman. Liz's head snapped up and she inhaled sharply, calling up her power, but after a moment she realized just who this was talking to her. She discreetly let the power dissipate and stood, offering the taller woman (But not by much. She was much taller during the fight, I'm sure of it.) a shy smile. "Yes. Sorry. I am Elizabeth, Elizabeth Moya. But most folks just call me Liz." Her voice was carefully neutral, with just a touch of a Spanish accent leaking through; the alien had spent a long time getting it just right. "If you would wait a moment while I get my things together." The student began to gather her books and notebooks, making sure everything fit inside her messenger bag and that everything was in just the right spot. She didn't stop talking as she worked, however. "I will admit, I am surprised that you agreed to meet like this -- as 'civilians.' I do not think that most folks... in our line of work would agree to do that."

â€I was, I am, a musician I had a successful career as a pop musician called Annice. It okay I don't expect you to have heard of me, my success didn't spread beyond the UK.â€

She sat on the edge of the bench, this was still hard to admit even to herself.

â€I become isolated and lost touch made some stupid decisions. What I need was someone to tell me what a idiot I was being, ground me a limit.â€

She paused nervously and played with the edge of her coat.

“I figure that it's got to be the same for the business were now in, only what we do is even more important. Hopefully this won't be the only time we meet, well it you can actually stand to spend time with me.†she give a friendly hopeful smile.

Liz considered her answer carefully, packing away her belongings and slinging the bag over her shoulder. "I feel into a bad crowd myself, in my youth," she admitted. "In fact you could say that most of my family is on the... other side of our conflicts." She stood up, settling her bag more comfortably. "I was exposed to an amazing display of heroism when I was young -- a man gave his life to protect others. It showed me that there could be another path." She looked around and pointed off, into the city. "There is a Starbucks Coffee, a few blocks from here. Do you want to get some while we talk?"

Agnes listened with a little concern to the young woman’s story. She felt a pang of guilt that her petty concerns were nothing to what she had gone through.

“It's good that you were lucky enough to find someone to help you on the right path.â€

She paused for a minute, hopefully enough to go from such a serious topic to something more cheerful.

“And I'd love a coffee, but I insist my treat. I'm sure you've got enough to concern your poor budget.â€

She stood and waited for Liz to joint her and as they started walking Agnes tried to spark up a conversation.

“From you accent I can tell your from Spain, what part of the country do you come from?â€

"From the north," she said. "I grew up in a rural village. On a farm, actually." That was a carefully constructed lie. There had been a young girl named Elizabeth born in a small town in the north of Spain; the poor girl had died as an infant, and the Raven had merely co-opted the name and birthplace when creating a fake ID for the alien heroine.

As they walked down the path towards the press of building, Liz considered how to explain the next part of her false history. "After I obtained my powers I came to the attention of, well, the one who held this office before me." Langston Albright's secret was not hers to reveal. "In fact, he assured me that I was the only active hero with such powers alive. Which is why your display surprised me so much."

“I was lucky enough to visit Barcelona for the Sónar festival. It's a lovely city and a beautiful part of the world.â€

She walk along in silence for a few minutes, lost in thought.

“I was made an offer by an ancient spirit of Justice for All. Actually I was fighting for my life from a gunshot wound. If I didn't have the powers I would thought it was all in head. A tiny part of me thinks that maybe it all is.â€

Agnes looked a little embarrassed.

“I'm sorry I'm offloading. Thing is I've not spoken with the spirit since the event,and all this magical stuff is really new. And none of this comes with a instruction manual.â€

A thin smile curved Liz's lips. "Yes, I can really sympathize with not understanding your powers. When I was empowered, I traveled for several years; it was only recently that I gained a mentor and any kind of clear understanding about what I could do with my new abilities." She glanced over at Agnes. "It could be interesting, though. The last time there were two Lightbearers around, it was the 1940s."

She let that comment hang as the two women entered Starbase Coffee. The chain was ubiquitous in the city and spreading rapidly beyond, and the quality of the drink was at least as striking as the decor. Swooping chrome decals and bright primary colors decorated the walls, and models of starships from old serials and syndicated shows hung from the ceiling or were half-embedded in the architecture. On an impulse Liz reached out to touch one that seemed to be all saucer, her finger tracing the thin break around the hemi--

-- flashing lights and shrieking noises filled the air. Rank after rank of red-skinned Grue manned stations stoically, even as they began exploding. A psychic presence hung over them and pressed into their minds, linking their wills together and providing an efficiency no other organic crew could match. This was a starship that would not yield to fear or self-preservation. This was one that would fight until each plate had been rent asunder. And from that fearlessness would come victory this day, victory for the Uni--

Liz came back to herself suddenly. She was sitting down, and was pale and shaking. She hugged herself tightly, trying to remember the last few seconds but they were a terrible blankness. She hugged herself and slowly panned her vision around until she saw Agnes. The young woman tried to smile, but it was weak and quavering. "I'm sorry," she said. "I don't remember some parts of my life very clearly, and some things can... trigger them unexpectedly. When that happens it's... it's a shock to the system."

Agnes reacted quickly when Liz started to sway quickly manoeuvring gently her into a chair and watching her with concern until she seemed to recover from her strange attack.

Only when Liz had managed to convince her that everything was okay did she finally sit down, still a concerned look on her face.

“Does that happen often to you? I might be able to help you in some way.â€

She took a deep breath.

“When I was first chosen I spent a year subsumed by the spirit, we spent a year wander the UK helping people out. I’m not sure how, and I think the spirit stops me knowing exactly, but it was some kind of ritual.â€

“The upside of this is I can access the memories and knowledge’s of all those that the spirit has inhabited before. Though some of the effects of the ritual has faded, for a while whenever I accessed the knowledge’s I took on their form.â€

She looked thoughtful for a second.

“I can’t describe how weird it is to look in the mirror and see somebody elses face staring back.â€

“If you want I can try to find some memories or information that could help your condition.â€

Liz felt a frisson of terror at the idea of someone looking into her head and seeing her secrets. "Not needed," she said quickly. "I am fine, really. It was just a momentary thing." She took a deep breath and spread her hands on the table, giving Agnes a weak smile. "See? Fine."

After a moment she relaxed, sitting back in her chair and letting her face relax. "I am sorry," she said in a more subdued tone. "Parts of my life are not... well, are not fit for public consumption, let us say. I am afraid I cannot go into more detail." She smiled briefly, just a flash of teeth. "Though I can sympathize with seeing the face of a stranger in the mirror, trust me."

Agnes was shocked at the look of, fear? Terror?, that crossed Liz’s face.

“Oh I’m sorry I don’t actually read mind, it’s more if you were around in one of my past’s or I could…†Agnes drew a breath and started again.

“How about I just forget all about this and just go and buy the drinks. He’s hoping they make a decent tea.†She gave a mock put upon look.

After taking order and arranging the various drinks and snack Agnes sat back down to restart the conversation.

“So could you tell me more about these Lightbearers? I’ve never heard this term used before.â€

Liz accepted her latte and sipped it gingerly before setting the drink aside. It was good coffee, at least for a chain, but she didn't think caffeine was what she needed just at the moment. "It is hard to explain. I do not know much of magic, beyond the practical application," she admitted, "but I have absorbed a little knowledge. Apparently -- this is how it was explained to me -- all the positive emotions in the galaxy, all the peace and compassion and justice, empower a force known as the White Light, or the Light of Pharos. I have been chosen to bear it -- for the moment, at least." She shrugged, pulling her drink close and holding it with both hands. "I have the feeling it's important, but so far I've seen so many other people doing so much more for this city."

Agnes gave a little laugh “You should try living in the shadow of the symbol of your nation! I’ve spent the last couple of months avoiding Britannia. I can’t help thinking that she’ll look down in me as a lesser hero.â€

She spent a few minutes carefully picking apart and eating her croissant.

“The one thing I’ve learnt from the music industry is no one gets the big time straight away. Oh yeah you can get that initial boost, but unless you work at it you’ll never get anyway. The Beatles didn’t have overnight success, they learnt there trade in Hamburg, and I’m sure Centurion didn’t save the world on his first day.â€

She took a quick sip of her tea.

“Mmm not bad… suppose what I’m saying, do your best to try and help people, that how you should measure your success the people you help and the people you inspire. I’m sure the magically forces won’t mind, if they didn’t think you were worth it you wouldn’t have been given the gift.â€

• 2 weeks later...

Liz picked up her coffee again, taking the time think over Agnes' words. Unfortunately, she could only think of the millions -- billions? Trillions? -- she had harmed as part of the Unity.

"You know," she said, putting the cup down, "we really have only talking about being superheroes. We each have a life outside of saving the city, don't we? Do... do you still sing?"

Agnes gave a little laugh.

“I guess you’re not a fan of my work then. I’m trying to restart my career, hence me being in Freedom City. Actually I could arrange for you to visit the studio’s if you want.â€

She slumped back into her chair and sipped her tea.

“I’m sorry this is a wonderful city and all, but I’m all on my own. A stranger in a strange land so to speak. It kind of you allowing this meeting, give me a change to just spend time with someone not in the business.

Another pause another sip.

“I’m sorry I’m loading on you. I see from earlier that you’re a student, what are you studying?â€

Liz nodded. "Yes, I am a student at Freedom City University. Right now my courses are... do they call them gut courses in England? Two years of basic education in everything under the sun, it feels like, before I even get a say in what I want to do. It gets to be... very frustrating at times." She sighed softly. "I do like music, though. I really have not heard of any of your songs, but that it because I mostly listen to jazz. It is a very... energizing kind of music." she looked down suddenly, eyes locked on the rim of her mug. "I sing sometimes," she said hesitantly, "in the student union. I even play piano, when the week has been particularly... frustrating."

Agnes’s eye sparkled “Jazz now I was raised on Jazz my mother was mad on the stuff Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, Nina Simone…

“Life has a crazy pattern

And fortune comes to few.

I'd like to take the pattern

And fashion it for you.â€

She stopped and looked a little sheepish at her impromptu outburst of song.

“Heh, sorry. Most people think that as a pop star I was just interested in the money and the fame, but music is in my blood. If I’ve not completely embarrassed you by now I’d like to hear you play the piano.â€

Liz's response was immediate and demure. Her eyes stayed on her coffee cup, but her cheeks darkened even further as a blush spread across them. "No no no," she said. "I very rarely play for a group, and when I do sing it is never in English." Which was technically correct; the few times she did sing, the young woman used a tongue not of this planet. It was a risk, but worth it. Or at least she always thought so when she was mad or sad enough to sing.

"I could never do what you do," Liz said, looking up at Agnes. "Performing in front of thousands. Recording music and sending it out for the whole world to hear."

“Singing in front of a thousand people is easy. It’s harder singing to just a handful of people. What I really fear doing is singing to just a couple of real musicians. People who really know there art and can tell if I’m just bluffing.

And when it recorded down it’s just there, you can more or less ignore it apart from occasionally catching your songs on the radio. And that doesn’t happen that often now thank god.â€

Agnes looked a little embarrassed.

“I don’t begrudge my success but let’s just say it’s not my best work.â€

• 2 weeks later...

Liz nodded in sympathy. "It is the same everywhere. If I was sitting here with Equinox or someone like that, I would likely not have dares to try and explain about the Light. Such a person would know so much more about it than I do, that to try and explain it would be an insult to them." She took a swallow of her coffee and began to wish that she'd ordered a sandwich or something. "So do you ever think you will go back to the United Kingdom one day?"

“I’m only here for a couple of months, well for now.†She leaned in conspiratorially “I’m trying to arrange to buy a share of the studio.I came into a some money and it seemed to be the deal of the lifetime.â€

She sat back and sipped her tea.

“If it goes through I think I’ll still commute rather than live her full time. I mean Freedom City is an amazing crazy place and I’ve loved every minute of it. But I miss all those little thing that remind me of home, I mean I even miss Marmite and I don’t even like it.†She gave a small laugh “And I suspect you’ve never heard of it. Actually I keep wondering home much of it is simple home sickness and how much of it is my spiritual ties to the country.†She tapped the side of her head to emphasis the point

“What about you are you planning to stay here or do you yearn for home?â€

"I... think I am I going to go up and get a sandwich. Excuse me." Liz pushed her chair back and made her way over to the counter, ordering a club sandwich and thinking over Agnes' question.

It wasn't simple, not at all. For one, what exactly was her home? Technically the homeworld of all Grue was Gruen-Prime, bu the Unity created spawning pools as needed, so there was no guarantee that she had even been 'born' there. She counted her age from the time that she encountered the White Light, but she had fled that star system so precipitously that she had almost no memory of it, and certainly no way of finding it again. And anyway, that wasn't home for her -- but then neither was Spain, or Freedom City. She felt no more protectiveness towards Earth than she had any of the dozens of planets she had visited before. In truth, she had no home to go back to.

Liz took her food back to the table and sat across from Agnes again. "I don't really have a home to return to," she said, once more blending truth and lies artfully. "My family would be... well, I simply can't go back to where I was born. And I don't feel any particular loyalty towards Freedom City or the United States." She looked up, her eyes rested on one of the zeerust models hanging from the ceiling. "What I'd really like to do is go out into space."

Agnes gave a thoughtful little face

“I think I understand a little bit. I have family out in Jamaica and whenever I visit they go on about it being my homeland. But I’ve just never really felt it; I suppose there’s too much of my Mum in me.†She gave a little smile.

Her eye’s naturally followed Liz’s upwards to the cute little models on the ceiling.

“Do you mean just into orbit? Because I think I could actually do that, though I’ve never tried. Or do you want to travel out there into the vast cosmos. I’ve heard a few stories, but it all sounds pretty amazing out there.â€

• 2 weeks later...

"As far out as I can," Liz said truthfully. I want to vicit every planet in the galaxy before I'm done. which is another reason why I'm not going to be in Freedom City forever, I suppose."

Just then, the front door of the cafe literally exploded inwards, shards of glass and superheated metal spalling over the customers. Liz stripped out of her sweater and dropped it on the floor as she turned towards the entrance just in time to see two unseasonably dressed woman lugging overstuffed backpacks dash inside. One was wearing a red bikini with an orange flame motif, and the other was clad in a white and blue skisuit, complete with polarized goggles. Goggles stopped just inside the cafe and gestured at the frontage, and instantly a thick sheet of ice formed over the whole thing.

Bikini sauntered into the cafe like she owned it, turning slowly to watch everyone. "Humble city of Freedom," she said, "I am Heat Wave, and over by the door is Cold Front." Cold Front disappeared into the kitchen, returning quickly with the few employees not out front already. "Do what we tell you, and we'll only take your wallet, m'kay?" Heat Wave dropped her backpacks on the counter, and now the heroes realized that the bags were stuffed full of bills!