The Charlston

Ozob

Lucy finally finished her dance, only to see that the rest of the room watching her. Without missing a beat she gave a little bow. Just in time to hear Johnny words.

She stepped toward him a literal spring in her step.

“Sorry I needed that, been a long time since I've able to do that. And I'm just an average dancer, I seen much better in my day†she called over to Lydia “Hello there, I hope I didn't disturb your class to much.â€

She watched the other couple as they took back up there dance.

“Um it seems they all dancing the Charleston and little different from how I would do it. You sure you want me to show you the ropes. I wouldn't want to embarrass you to much.â€

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Embarrass me?" he said incredulously. "I don't think so. Everyone's looking at you because you were good. I'll be lucky if I don't trip on my feet and stomp on yours. Are you sure you trust me as a partner?"

The band began to pick up another tune as the lead called out, "here's a little piece called King Porter Stomp. Done with our flare for your pleasure. Hit it!"

As the band revved up, all the couples around the floor started doing basic steps, which looked far less daunting than what Lucy had been doing a bit ago. Johnny had done his homework and at least knew there were multiple versions of the Charleston as well as solo and partner variations. He wasn't going to object if they started with a partner version, but really, seeing her uninhibited dance and smile made it all worth it anyway.

"Well they're off again, perhaps you could show me something a little more... basic?"

“Okay you asked for it.â€

Instead of the more open partners of the others Lucy pulled Johnny close in a classic ballroom pose.

“Just for this dance I'll lead shall I?â€

She gently encouraged him to step back and forwards, making sure she didn't drag him around. Which was something she could do without much effort.

“Okay that's good bend the knees a little, start turning your feet a little.â€

Lucy carefully and gradually up the pace and started moving them sideways.

“And next TAXI!†she looked at his blank face “Sorry a very old Movietone.â€

They dance in silence for a few minutes, Lucy lost in thoughts just enjoying the moment.

“You dance very well, even for a first time. Not like poor James, he could never seem to get the knack.â€

Johnny had trusted in his quickness and grace to keep up with her, and did a passable job. Although, he knew it was as much due to her leading than anything he was doing. By the time they finished he had a wide smile on his face which was only partly from his enjoyment of the dance. Having a partner who made it all interesting, that was as much or more of the reason for his good mood.

"Well I don't know about that, although I think I avoided your feet most of the time. I did however, have a great time. That's a total riot" he said as Lydia walked over.

"I didn't catch your partner's name, Johnny," she asked.

"Lydia, this is Lucy my date for the evening," he replied. "We met at the Renascence fair and she promised to teach me Charleston. Good luck for us you have a place where we can learn."

Lydia gave him a knowing smile and replied, "well Lucy, it's a pleasure to meet you. If you'd like... I have some instructors who would love to see a few of the steps you are using. I told Johnny that it's not usual to see anyone dancing the actual 20's style steps anymore and few enough that even know them. So any time you want to come by here, you're more than welcome."

“You wouldn't believe what we got up to at the fair, it wasn't exactly what you would call normal.†she gave Johnny a little conspiratorial smile.

She gave a little blush at Lydia's comments.

“Well it's just the way I learned to dance, I've never had a chance to update my style.†another little smile “I suppose if I can teach him, I can teach anyone. As long as nobody minds me free styling a little every now and again.â€

Lucy looked a little thoughtful for a few seconds.

“Though I think that kind of thing goes better in a nice a smoky little club somewhere.â€

"Well I can't promise you a smokey little club, that sort of thing is frowned on these days. However, I can promise you dinner if you'd like. When we're done here, I did make reservations at Bella Corta, it's an Italian place that I've heard is pretty good."

Lydia, realizing that conversation had moved past her, nodded to the both of them before heading to another couple to give tips and technique.

"I won't twist your arm, but I'd love it if you came with me. Least I could do is offer food to my teacher," he said smiling at her.

The band was picking up instruments and looked like they were getting ready to play again. Horns and guitars were brandished as they prepared to do their last set.

“I use to know this little Jazz place that was perfect for a spot of dancing, I wonder if it’s still open? Maybe for next time I’ll take you out to a club, though I’m guessing it won’t be your normal haunt.â€

Lucy looked thoughtful for a minute before breaking into another of her broad grins.

“When have you ever known someone turn down a good meal? When are we booked on for? Do we have time for another dance; I think you’ve almost got it.â€

She gave a rather longing look at the other couples dancing around her.

"I think we can fit another one in," he replied. "If your feet can keep dodging mine."

They didn't have far to go to get back into some space. As the band began to swing, he placed a hand around her to the small of her back and offered his other hand to her as well. While he had noticed it before, she was cold all over. Which was the complete opposite of her personality, but he began to worry anew as what kind of skin condition left the entire person feeling like ice. With his thoughts trailing, he stumbled a bit before recovering.

Ack! He needed to concentrate if he wanted to dance. Even if he was worried for her. Although, as they danced across the floor, she certainly didn't seem like she was suffering from anything. In fact, it seemed like it was quite the opposite, she appeared for all intents and purposes, to be hale and healthy.

"Sorry about that," he said quietly to her as he tried to remember the footwork. "My thoughts got a little sidetracked... Lucy, we can dance as long as you'd like and catch dinner wherever later. You pick it and I'll treat. Believe me when I say that I won't mind at all."

After a couple of rough week, all that business with Nora came to mind, it was nice to have an evening of simple pleasures. And had to admit Johnny was good company, showing just the right amount of concern and not asking too many questions. Though she knew by the end of night she would have to tell him the truth, she figured she owed him that much.

But for now she was just enjoying the dance, she had always found dance and music to be calming and relaxing. She could do this all night, literally, she never seem to get tired anymore.

But that would be unfair and despite never feeling hunger it would be nice to have a romantic meal.

“Let’s just finish this dance and well go try this fancy restaurant of yours.â€

"That sounds like a plan I can get behind," Johnny said trying to add a little flair to the basic footwork they had just learned.

In the end, they managed more than just one dance. The band did their set, and seeing how much Lucy seemed to be enjoying it, Johnny had kept going. Besides, it wasn't that difficult to remain close to her, which if dancing was the prince to pay, it was a cheap price. That he enjoyed dancing, made it all the better.

The names of the songs blurred together after the next four or five; Explosion Swing, Blue Skies, Lindy Hop, Wrapping it up and others. If asked later, he couldn't honestly remember much other than the band was good, the dancing fun, and most important the company was superlative.

As the band wound down, their set done and time up, Lydia began to reconfigure the floor for the morning's ballet classes. She made sure to wish the couples well as they slowly filed out.

"That was fantastic," Johnny said. "I think we missed our reservation, but I'm in no hurry. If there's a wait, I've heard that it's worth it. Nothing like Italian, checkered table cloths, and candle lit tables in my opinion. It's not too far away, walking distance really."

She was tempted to just grab him up and run towards to restaurant, she was feeling a little guilty that he’d let her dance so long an miss the restaurant.

But she was also aware that he really just wanted to walk and talk for a little longer, and she couldn’t argue with that she’d always enjoyed wandering the streets of Freedom City. So why not do it with some pleasant company.

Soon she’d have to pay the piper and tell him everything, but not just yet.

“Then let’s take another evening walk. And if we can get something to eat, well that’s a bonus.â€

"Oh, I think we'll make it there. I'm sure they're open pretty late, and I think I might have mentioned that I don't mind waiting... especially given the company."

He took her hand and began to walk back down the street heading towards the restaurant. By now the sun had set and the early October air was crisp and cool. He caught the faint whiff of the ocean mixed with a hint of burning leaves which was now mixed in with the normal smells of the city. The street lights had come on, although in this area of town more than a couple were out. Several of the row houses and apartments even were sporting Halloween lights and decorations which made the narrow street seem almost festive.

"I'm hoping that you'll be up for some more lessons," he said while walking. "I think I was even kind of getting it there towards the end."

As they paused at a street corner, waiting for the crossing light, he turned and looked at her for a long moment, "you're very beautiful, if I haven't told you already. I know that's kind of cliche, but I think in your case, it's very true."

Then shaking his head with a smile, perhaps trying to break the spell of her alluring visage he continued, "sorry, I think I was kind of mesmerized there. Anyway, I was going to ask you about earlier... why the roof? I'm guessing that you are not afraid of heights."

“Really I’d never really noticed. I’ve always played down my looks, it helped fit in when I was doing my job.â€

She gave a small laugh “No heights have never bothered me, I’ve never been afraid of anything. My mom always told me to think things through but never be fearful.†a sad look passed her face.

“As for the roof, maybe after the restaurant I’ll show you. It allows me to see the city in all its glory, gives me the space to think about things. It’s my own special thinking place; I’ve been doing it since I was little.â€

"That's cool, I'd like that. I used to have a place on the beach in San Diego... it was a small cove that no one really went too because of the tides. I guess it wasn't very smart, but I'd go and sit out there and just listen to the ocean for hours sometimes. Especially when I was going to be sent off here or there. I really miss that place a lot and the beaches here are mostly flat. I mean they're nice, but I don't think I could find somewhere like there unless I was going to move to Maine."

It was dark enough now that the streetlights cast small islands of light which shimmered like pools in an oasis. Small crowds moved up and down the street in the busy west end neighborhood.

"So what do you like to think about when you are up there?" he said as they began to approach the quaint little restaurant.

“Nothing to deep, I just like to think about everything that going on around me. Mostly I enjoy the view of the city and the little objects and people flying around.â€

“I don’t sleep and you can only watch so much television. So I like to just sit quietly and enjoy the view. It’s like that eastern philosophy; I can’t quite remember the name.â€

She looked thoughtful for a second and gave a little smile

“I not sure if that makes me shallow or deep. Maybe a bit of both? I’m really not that complicated a characterâ€, well expect for my past, “What you see is mostly what you get.â€

"Buddhism?" Johnny replied with more than a passing knowledge of the philosophy. "I think that's something that we both can agree on. Earlier, my nanny thought it very important to introduce me to all sorts of different schools of thought. That was just one of them. We'd head into San Diego to some of the parks, and the old men and women would be doing Tai Chi. We'd join in the sessions and then talk with them afterwards. It was very... peaceful."

Then looking over too her and catching a glimpse of her eyes, "it makes you who you are, I wouldn't say shallow or deep. I'd say wonderfully unpredictable, spontaneous, and fun. At least that's my take."

As he was talking he mulled over what she had said, and what he had seen. She was always cold and never slept. Even to someone as carefree as himself, it didn't wholly add up to a skin condition. It kind of seemed she was dancing around the subject carefully as if it was something that would scare him, or perhaps drive him off.

Stopping on the street, next to a small colorful place called the Naf Naf grill, he took her other hand and looked at her while saying, "Lucy... you don't sleep? This is part of your condition, right? I'm not going to pry if you don't want to talk about it. However, I just want you to know that I haven't have a night this good in a long time. I can't imagine anything that you would say that could take that away. Whenever or if ever you want to talk about it, I'm here and I'll be here after whatever you say... that is if you want me to be."

He gave her a smile, and there was no hint of reluctance or apprehension on his face. He meant what he said and if she wanted to tell him what was going on, he'd accept it as he'd accepted all of the wonderful quirks that she had shown this evening.

Lucy sighed she knew this moment had been coming, but she had wanted to put it off as long as possible.

“It’s complicated, well actually it’s quite simple but it’s… unusual. I suppose I wanted to wait until you knew me better.â€

She stood there painfully thinking through a number of possible options.

“I’d ask to wait until after you’d eaten, but you’d only sit there worrying about what terrible fate was about to befall me.†She managed a weak smile

“It easier if I show you.â€

She carefully grabbed his hand and placed it on her chest, roughly were the heart would be. Instead of it's steady rhythmic beat there was nothing.

For a moment he wondered if this was some kind of come on as his hand pressed against her chest. He was about to say something as the sensation of her shirt, and the firm but cool body beneath made his pulse skip a beat. Earlier when he had told her how beautiful she was, he wasn't just playing lip service.

"Lucy, I..."

Even as he was about to say something about moving fast and wrong impressions, he realized what was wrong. While his pulse had skipped a beat, her's had been missing the entire time. He didn't feel her chest moving at all, no breath, no pulse, nothing.

"...you're not breathing and you don't have a pulse, how can that be unless you are dead?"

Even as he said the words, they rang true. Her cold skin, lack of sleep and the lack of a beating heart. Taken completely aback, he still had the presence of mind to take his hand away from her chest, and instead dropping it to take hold of one of her hands. Dead?

"How is this possible Lucy? You are the most vibrant person I've ever met..."

“Well in this city I think alive is more a state of mind. And anyway look at it this way. When I was growing up I was limited in what I could do, what I could say what I could wear. Not as bad as some people, but there were limits. Right here and right now I can go and do anything I want“ she gave another playful smile “And I’ve always been a positive person, my mom taught me to embrace life and fear nothing.â€

She stepped back leaving the sidewalk free. She crossed her arms and gave a stern look.

“I told you I was complicated. If you want just walk away, I wouldn’t think any less of you.â€

It couldn’t last and a broad grin spread across the face, she made a sweeping gesture towards the restaurant.

“If not well one of us needs to eat. I’ll buy you a drink and explain everything.â€

Johnny blinked several times, looking at her for a long moment. Dead? State of mind? Really? It was kind of a mind boggling thing. Certainly, he had read horror novels and watched movies with zombies, vampires, and all sorts of other creatures. Thinking back he couldn't place one where the so called undead abomination had ever danced the Charleston. Nor could he think of Lucy as an abomination at all. She was fun and... alive?

The moment passed and he chuckled, "walk away? Not a chance. Besides, if I had to guess, I'd be walking away from an amazing story. You don't seem to do things in half measures do you?"

Keeping her hand, as long as she let him, he turned back down the street and started walking. The restaurant was no more than a block away and he could already smell the pungent odor of garlic and tomatoes; two pillars of Italian cooking. Hopefully garlic wasn't going to be an issue, or sunlight. No, sunlight was fine, she was walking around the park in broad daylight. So scratch that myth.

"So you don't need to eat either? Do you want too? I mean we can find a park bench... or the atmosphere is pretty nice there so I've been told. I can live without eating for a few hours if need be or we can go in and talk over candle light. Won't bother me either way. Besides, all said and done, still the best date I've had."

Any doubt drained from her pale face and it lit up, her cola black eye sparkled.

“I’d like to see that conversation:

“How as your date,?â€

“Oh she was dead!†“

Lucy laughed at her own joke, but also gave a little blush at his compliment

“I can eat, and I don’t have a hankering for blood… Though I’m not sure exactly where the food goes, I’m not sure I want to find out either.†Another smile flashed across her face “Though I don’t taste much these days, and yes I like spicy food even garlic. And especially strong liquor, though I don’t get drunk either.â€

She began to count out on her fingers “Just to clear thing up, I’m not a vampire, werewolf or one of those shambling walking corpses. The closest thing to my state is a revenant, but I like to think of myself as just Lucy.†She looked pleased with her analogy.

“So in short, yes let’s go get something to eat. I like to just soak up a places atmosphere, and no not literallyâ€â€

"Fair enough," he said. "Just Lucy is fine with me. Besides, Emily always was telling me that I should be open to everything."

He moved his thumb across the back of her hand, feeling the soft unblemished skin. He found that when he held her hand, her skin warmed a little from his own body heat. However, otherwise, she seemed for all intents and purposes to be 'room temperature'. He wondered if she enjoyed warmth, or was it something she just didn't notice. Whether she did or not, she certainly seemed to not dwell on anything negative, which given what she had just revealed was a good thing. He knew more than a few people who could use her optimism and cheerful disposition.

They made it to door of the restaurant and found that while their reservation had passed, so had much of the dinner rush. The owner, a stout man with a gregarious face and a thin mustache greeted them.

"Buona sera! Welcome to Bella Corta," he said in a rich deep voice.

"Good evening to you," Johnny replied. "We had a reservation for earlier in evening, and kind of missed it. You wouldn't have a table available for two?"

"What could be so important that you miss your dinner? I'm a thinking that both of you could use a little more pasta," the owner replied with a jovial smile making his red cheeks puff out with his exuberance.

"We were dancing and time kind of drifted away," Johnny replied giving Lucy's hand a little squeeze.

"Oh! Meraviglioso! The dancing and the love. It's being very grand. Of course we have a table available. Juan will show you to your seat."

Johnny couldn't help but smile as they were led back through the brick lined restaurant. It was warm inside, a sharp contrast from the cool autumn evening outside. The intimacy of the space seemed to add to that cozy and snug impression that it gave off. Tables were artfully placed in a chaotic order, and the red and white checkered table cloths were visible in the flickering light of the candles that sat center of each table. If there was a whiff of garlic outside, the rich smell of tomato sauces, garlic, and bread floated through the air.

Their table was in a corner, close to the kitchen, but out of the way of foot traffic. It offered them a small bit of privacy that might not otherwise be open in the crowded space.

"Signore, signora, please have a seat," Juan said pulling out the chair for Lucy. "I'll be back with water, some bread and menu's."

After waiting for Lucy to sit, Johnny sat down and looked around. After a satisfied glance he turned back to look at Lucy, "Well I think it's going to live up to what it was billed as."

How did you start conversation like this? What was the right way to explain a life and how it was all okay, especially when he realized exactly what had happened what she missed?

So she sat there in silence for a few moments soaking in the atmosphere of the restaurant for a few minutes. Maybe it was the time she had come from but she preferred the shiny ultra-modern look of this age, but she had to admit it was a nice little place, with nice company. What more could you ask?

She gave a comfortable smile and looked Johnny straight in the eyes.

“Okay let’s start with the basics and then you can ask any questions.†a tiny pause to allow him to process this.

“My name is Lucy Jane Harker, though only my mom calls me Jane. I was born on May 26th 1897, making me 114 years old, though I’m only 30. You see I was shot and ‘killed’ in 1927 and only woke up 3 months ago into this brave new world…â€

It was one thing to realize that the girl he had taken on a date was technically dead. It was another thing to realize that she was also older than his great grandmother. Although that was a technicality as well. He could understand why she claimed to 30 if she had just woken up a few months ago.

"Wow..." was all that he managed as he mulled over the implications of it. "okay, I've had people tell me they were Vegan on a date, or that they liked cheese, but that has to top pretty much everything."

He looked back into her eyes, which were jet black; they were very captivating none the less. He realized that he could likely get lost staring there as he blinked taking in all of her again.

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to be flippant. So do you know anyone from when you were alive? Or anything? I mean... what's it like?"

Lucy gave a hearty little laugh.

“I’m not even sure what a Vegan is, but if it helps I like cheese. I’d offer you another chance to step away, but I know you’re committed to see this through.â€

She took a little, unnecessary, breath.

“As for my family I… I just don’t know. Part of me doesn’t want to know, it comforting to think that they all go on with their live. That my parents lived long happy lives, my family are natural long lived it something in the blood. I guess I've take that to the extreme.†A little hollow laugh “That all my brothers and sisters got married and enjoyed a plethora of children and grandchildren. I could have a whole tribe of descendants of my family, but no one left who knows me. That my fiancé went and got happily married. They all knew that something like this could happen; it was a risk I was willing to take, and they all supported my decision.â€

A flash of sadness crossed her face and then it was gone. She forced a smile.

“But no more tears from these dead eyes. I’ve got the house I’d grown up, a small gravestone up on lantern hill and a sparkling new future to explore.†Her voice carried no bitterness, no bile.