Net Fly (PL 9) - Vahnyu

Net Fly

Power Level: 9/10 (130/157 PP)
Trade-Offs: -2 Attack / +2 Damage, +2 Defense / -2 Toughness
Unspent Power Points: 27

In Brief: Young gadgeteer genius Serge Explinker dons a simple yet sophisticated sonic harness/vibro-suit, in order to enhance his mutant powers and fight crime as the masked superhero Net Fly.

Identity: Secret
Alternate Identity: Serge Explinker

gallery_631_23_29026.jpg

Identity: Secret
Birthplace: Freedom City
Affiliations: None
Family: Father: Andrew Explinker. Mother: Catherine Coldear. Step-Father: Gregory Lineburg.

Description:
Apparent Age: 16
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 180 pounds
Eyes: Green
Hair: Blonde

Description:
A lean, light-skinned teenager of medium height, Serge has curly short blonde hair and green eyes. He wears prescription reading glasses, although ever since his powers awoken, he stopped needing them. His casual attire consists of lion-colored baggy pants or jeans, a light-grey tank-top and a green camp shirt.

His costume is mostly grey, composed of a spandex-like material, and covers most of his body, except the eyes, and it has extra pockets strapped at his thighs. He wears black boots and black briefs, on top of the suit, with a blue tool belt. He has blue mechanical gauntlets, and a white megaphone strapped on a blue x-shaped harness, in front of his chest. Finally, he has two blue head-pieces that cover his ears, on top of his mask.

Power Descriptions:
Net Fly is a mutant, with the power to influence his body's vibrations. This gives him an assortment of innate abilities, like enhanced agility, strength, and stamina, the ability to "stick" on surfaces, and the ability to fly. Further-more, he has costumised his Vibro-Suit so that he can further harness those powers and re-focus them into sonic energy. He can concentrate his gloves with sonic energy in order to enhance his fists or produce Sonic Blasts and hit his opponents from a distance. He can also opt to redirect his powers to his chest-phone, and unleash a powerful Sonic Beam. The suit also channels Net Fly's vibrational energies to create a protective Vibro-Field, which lessens the impact of attacks. Finally, his suit comes equipped with a Net Dive device, which allows him to interact with machinery and even enter the cyberspace.

History:
Serge was a gifted young boy, and he showed from an early age an aptitude with complex machinery and computers. While he comes from a divorced family, his parents have managed to keep a good relationship with each other and their son.
When he became an adolescent, Serge started exhibiting his latent mutant abilities. It wasn't, however, until much later, when he became unwittingly entangled with a heist, that he decided to use his powers for a purpose.
A group of armed robbers ambushed an armory car and stole a bunch of high-tech equipment. During the heist, things quickly escalated, and Serge, allong with a few other bystanders, was captured as a hostage, and held against his will.
At first, he was paralyzed from fear, until he witnessed the robbers shot a man in front of him, in order to force the police to meet their demands. Finding an opportunity, Serge sneaked out of sight and undid his bonds with his strength. He took a few devices that were laying close to him, and tinkered with them as quickly as he could, fashioning them into Sonic Blasters. Before the robbers realized what had happened, Serge, wearing a makeshift outfit to conceal his identity, attacked them, and quickly subdued them.
After rescuing everyone, Serge left the crime-scene. For the next few days, he reflected on what had just transpired. He realized that he could use his powers to fight crime, but in order to do so, he needed to make a costume for himself.
Tinkering and improving upon the devices he aqcuired during the heist, and using a few more that he had created on his own, Serge was able to adapt them into a functioning suit.
Now, Serge has emerged as the superhero Net Fly. He has performed adequately, but after a few close calls too many, he decided to enroll in Claremont Academy, and further hone his crime-fighting abilities.

Personality & Motivation:
Serge's desire to help people is matched only by his curiosity and inquisitiveness. Serge spends a lot of his time fine-tuning his suit or practicing his programming skills. When he isn't tinkering with his devices, Serge can often be found socializing with his friends.

Powers & Tactics:
Net Fly doesn't take hits well, so he prefers a hit-and-run fighting style over duking it out for prolonged periods. Having said that, however, he is perfectly capable of unleashing devastating attacks in close range, as well as take care threats from a distance. If he wishes to avoid fighting, he can opt to hide in the ceilings.

Complications:
On the Job Learning: Is learning as he goes.
Secret: Identity.
Snarker Within: Extreme insecurity about his own faillings has developed into a sort-of split personality/alter self that tends to point out said flaws. Even so, Serge is usually more than willing to point his own errors himself, without outside, or for that matter, inside help, and thus, this alter self pops up very occasionally, during times of extreme duress(That is to say, more extreme than usual for a kid hero)
Technobabble Motormouth: Is prone on making tangential notes about science, whenever he finds the opportunity.
Trying Hard to Keep Up: Is prone on overexerting himself
Abilities: 0 + 0 + 0 + 10 + 2 + 0 = 12PP
Strength: 10/16/30 (+0/+3/+10)
Dexterity: 10/16 (+0/+3)
Constitution: 10/20 (+0/+5)
Intelligence: 20 (+5)
Wisdom: 12 (+1)
Charisma: 10 (+0)

Combat: 10 + 12 = 22PP
Initiative: +12/+15/+19
Attack: +5 Base, +7 Sonic Converter
Grapple: +4/+7/+20
Defense: +9/+11 (+6 Base, +3/+5 Dodge Focus), +3 Flat-Footed
Knockback: -3/-2/-1

Saving Throws: 2 + 5 + 5 = 12PP
Toughness: +5/+7 (+3/+5 Con, +2 [Defensive Roll])
Fortitude: +5/+7 (+3/+5 Con, +2)
Reflex: +8 (+3 Dex, +5)
Will: +6 (+1 Wis, +5)

Skills: 52R = 13PP
Acrobatis 7 (+10)
Climb 3 (+3/+5/+9)
Computers 13 (+18)Skill Mastery
Craft (Electronics) 5 (+10)Skill Mastery
Craft (Mechanical) 1 (+6)
Disable Device 10 (+15)Skill Mastery
Knowledge (Technology) 5 (+10)Skill Mastery
Notice 4 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+7)

Feats: 11PP
Defensive Roll
Dodge Focus 3
Improved Initiative 3
Inventor
Online Research
Move By Action
Skill Mastery (Computers, Craft (Electronics), Disable Device, Knowledge (Technology))

Powers: 34 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 8 = 56PP

Device 8 (40PP Container; Flaws: Hard-To-Lose, Feats: Restricted 2[Net Fly]) [34PP] (Vibro-Suit)

Sonic Converter 12 (24PP Array; Feats: Accurate, Alternate Power 4) [27PP]
Base Power: Enhanced Strength 16 (Extras: Linked [super Strength]) + Super Strength 4 (Effective Strength 52, Heavy Load 16 tons, Extras: Linked [Enhanced Strength]) [16 + 8= 24PP] (Volume Amp)

Alternate Power: Damage 8 (Extras: Autofire, Penetrating 4 Feats: Mighty) [21PP] (Sonic Fists)

Alternate Power: Damage 9 (Extras: Area[burst] 200ft Radius, Linked[Trip], Selective, Flaws: Action(Full-Round), Distracting, Feats: Progression[Area] 2) + Trip 9 (Extras: Area[burst], Linked[Damage], Selective, Flaws: Action(Full-Round), Range(Touch), Feats: Improved Trip, Progression[Area] 2) [11+12=23PP] (Sonic Maelstorm)

Alternate Power: Blast 11 (275-1'100 feet, Feats: Improved Range, Split Attack) [24PP] (Sonic Blasts)

Alternate Power: Blast 11 (110-1'100 feet, Extras: Linked [stun], Linked [Trip], Flaws: Action (Full Round), Distracting) + Stun 11 (Extras: Linked [blast], Linked [Trip], Range [Ranged], Flaws: Action (Full Round), Daze, Unreliable) + Trip 11 (Extras: Linked [blast], Linked [stun], Knockback, Flaws: Action (Full Round), Feats: Improved Trip, Knockback) [5 + 5 + 12 = 22PP] (Sonic Beam)

Datalink 3 (Radio, 1000 feet, Feats: Cyberspace) [6 +6 + 12PP] (Net-Dive Harness)

Enhanced Constitution 4 [4PP] (Mutation Enhancement)

Enhanced Dodge Focus 2 [2PP] (Mutation Enhancement)

Enhanced Improved Initiative [1PP] (Mutation Enhancement)

Enhanced Strength 6 (Heavy load 230 lbs) [6PP] (Mutation)

Enhanced Dexterity 6 [6PP] (Mutation)

Enhanced Constitution 6 [6PP] (Mutation)

Fly Movement 3 (6PP Array; Feats: Alternate Power 2) [8PP] (Mutation)

Base Power: Flight 2 (25mph/250ft per Move Action, Feats: Subtle) [5PP]

Atlernate Power: Speed 5 (250mph/2500ft per Move Action, Feats: Subtle) [6PP]

Alternate Power: Super Movement 2 (Wall Crawling, 3mph/30ft per Move Action, Feats: Subtle) [5PP]

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

DC Block

ATTACK RANGE SAVE EFFECT
Unarmed Touch DC15 Toughness (Staged) Damage (Physical)
Enhanced (Unarmed) Touch DC18 Toughness (Staged) Damage (Physical)
Volume Amp (Unarmed) Touch DC25 Toughness (Staged) Damage (Physical)
Sonic Fists (Damage) Touch DC25 Toughness (Staged) Damage (Sonic)
Sonic Maelstorm (Damage+Trip) Area DC23 Toughness (Staged) Damage (Sonic)
1d20+8 vs. STR or DEX(worse) Trip
Sonic Blasts (Blast) Ranged DC25 Toughness (Staged) Damage (Sonic)
Sonic Beam (Blast+Stun+Trip) Ranged DC25 Toughness (Staged) Damage (Sonic)
DC20 Fortitude Dazed
1d20+10 vs. STR or DEX(worse) Trip

Totals: Abilities (12) + Combat (22) + Saving Throws (12) + Skills (13) + Feats (11) + Powers (60) - Drawbacks (0) = 130/157 Power Points

Much better, Vahnyu.

Drawbacks: (-3) + (-3) + (-1) = -7PP

Vulnerability (Magic Frequency: Very Common, Intensity: Minor) [-3PP]

Vulnerability (Divine, Frequency: Very Common, Intensity: Minor) [-3PP]

Vulnerability (Infernal, Frequency: Uncommon, Intensity: Minor) [-1PP]

There's no reason given on his sheet for these at all, nor do they seem to fit his background/powers. "Peter Parker with a sonic suit and a fly theme" has no reason to be any more or less resistant to magic. M&M is not really a system that rewards a lot of drawback-related min-maxing.

Sonic Blasts and hit his opponents from a distance. He can also opt to redirect his powers to his chest-phone, and unleash a powerful Sonic Beam.

I get the sonic punches (which sound like they'll be cool), but the Mighty Blast doesn't really fit a blaster in a battlesuit; there's no reason I can see why his STR would have anything to do with his sonic weapons.

he has costumised his Vibro-Suit so that he can further harness those powers and re-focus them into sonic energy.

The suit doesn't have any actual power by itself. It just converts Net Fly's innate powers. That's the reason why I've bought his Strength as an Enhanced Trait and not directly. It's also the reason why I bought the device as Restricted to only Net Fly, as he has costumized it. A normal person wearing it wouldn't unleash those sonic powers, or even have access to the imperviousness of the suit(The Datalink is another matter altogether, though you could aslo hang-wave it as being designed to correspond to Net Fly's brain waves only).

As you could already tell, AvengerAssembled, indeed, I was going for basically Peter Parker with Shocker's Weapons(or something). :P

The Vulnerabilities... well... umm... my interpretation was that his powers protect him better against mundane attacks, but mystical ones can bypass those protections. In fact, if not for the PL cap, I would add a few more, like emotion and mental vulnerabilities(even if I couldn't recieve the benefit). If it still doesn't make sense, then let me know, and I'll remove them(and rework the sheet so that I'm not over the limit). :(

Anyways, thank you, and sorry for causing trouble.

Mystical attacks could just as easily be things that have a Fort or Will save -- an Alt Save [Fort] Blast, or a Paralyze or Stun effect, or Emotion/Mind Control or Mental Blast -- which bypass Toughness anyway.

Superman's sometimes written as simply having a low-to-poor Will and Fort save (all his invulnerability/Toughness comes from Impervious Protection, not a superhuman CON), so when someone hits him with a Blast (Alt Save [Fort]) or a mystical Mind Control effect (or any sort of Mind Control, really), it does a number on him. Looks like you should do the same here.

Edited.

As per your request, removed the drawacks. Will and Fortitude are now 2 points short each(-4PPs), and the Fly Movement Array is a 2-Rank array with 2 Alternate powers instead of a 3-Rank array with 3 alternate powers(-3PPs).

Actually, I seem to have misscalculated the power points of Sonic Beam.

Alternate Power: Blast 7 (70-700 feet, Extras: Linked[stun], Flaws: Action(Full Round), Feats: Mighty 2) + Stun 7 (Extras: Linked[blast], Range[Ranged], Flaws: Action(Full Round), Daze) [16 + 14 = 30PP] (Sonic Beam)

According to the Core Rules, about the Linked Extra:

This modifier does not change the cost of the component powers;

simply add their costs together to get the new power’s cost. If you can

use the Linked powers either separately or together, increase the cost of

all but the most expensive power by +1 per rank (if the powers all have

the same cost, choose one), or acquire non-Linked versions as Alternate

Powers.

I wasn't aiming to use those powers seperately(and even if i did, it would only count as a +1 modifier for Stun), yet I have listed it as a +1 per rank modifier on both Blast[(2+1-1)*7+2=16] and Stun[(2+1+1-1-1)*7=14].

I'm changing it to a +0 per rank modifier, and as a result, I'm also changing the rest of the the Sonic Converter Array, to reflect that(now a rank 9 array, instead of a 15), the Vibro-Suit Device(now a rank 6 30PP container for 26PPs instead of a rank 8 40PP container for 34PPs), and assigned the free PPs to his saves(+2PPs), skills(+4PPs), and his Fly Movement Array(+2PPs).

:(

I did post a reply on that. In fact, it was the first thing of those you asked me that I addressed. His strength isn't the result of Muscle. It's the result of vibrations that produce high levels of Work that mimic Work produced by muscle. Of course, the way his powers work, a lot of it goes wasted. The Suit works as an amplifier and a focus tool. It doesn't generate Sonic blasts from a built-in power source. It's power source IS Net Fly himself. The Blasts are generated from the exact same source his Strength is. It fits, having the suit as an amplifier and channeler of the already existing innate powers and not a generator of powers, explains the Enhanced Strength and the Mighty Blasts(Start her on prednisone and she should be fine in a few days!).

Ok, seriously, if it still doesn't make any sense, AvengerAssembled, I'll change it. Just tell me, Ok?

PS: Maybe to clear this up, I should make it apparent in the descriptors that his powers(the result of his mutation) are sonic?

"His strength isn't the result of muscle, it's the result of his sonic powers" does not sound like a justification for Mighty on his Blast. That sounds more like an attempt to justify selling his Strength down to 0, then having Enhanced Str 14 (or however much Str he'd have) in his Sonic Array.

I didn't know if I should say "his Strength" or "his Super-Strength", since I haven't bought the Super-Strength Power... Should I say "his enhanced Strength is the result of his powers"?

And yes, on it's own, it's not a justification for putting Mighty on the Blasts. It's when you combine it with the fact that the suit doesn't generate power on it's own, that it makes sense.

I was thinking of it this way, the Sonic Blast is an extension of his Sonic Punch, like making your punch a ranged effect(creating sonic pressure that carries the same energy as a punch). The Sonic Beam also has Mighty, because it redirects all of his energies in his chest.

A good point, but then his Enhanced Strength would be completely dependant on the suit. He has powers without the suit, it's just that with the suit, they get stronger. Hmmm... maybe I should substract a few ranks from his Sonic Converter, and make them an additional Enhanced Strength inside the Device(for example, he has 4 ranks of Enhanced Strength without the suit, and an additional 6 ranks of Enhanced Strength with it)? I'm sorry but my keyboard ran out of batteries.

Ok, how about this?

Enhanced Strength 8 (Extras: Linked[super Strength]) + Super Strength 5 (Effective Strength 47, Heavy Load 8.32 tons, Extras: Linked[Enhanced Strength]) [18PP] (Volume Amp)

I added it inside the array, as a base power. He still has Damage and Blast, but their Mighty accounts only for the Enhanced Strength outside the Device(+2 Modifier). That's 2 more Alternate Powers(to a total of 5), so I had to reduce the Datalink power to 1 rank(from 3). I can have Enhanced Strength linked to Super Strength, right?

Note: Sorry about yesterday. I started replying, and my keyboard failed before it could complete the reply. :P I had to resort to copy-pasting words and letters in order to complete it...

'Tis done. Blasts are no longer Mighty.

EDIT: Question. His blasts generate Sonic Energy, which is basically a mechanical wave. Since they are ranged, shouldn't I add a Power Loss drawback, for instances of absence of medium through which they could travel, like in vaccum, and if so, what would the modifier be(I'm guessing a -1)? Or is it too small an occurance to even count?

EDIT 2: Also, corrected the Linked Powers inside the Sonic Converter Array(9 ranks), so that their ranks' sum doesn't exceed the Array's rank, and tweaked them a little. More specifically:

Base Power: Enhanced Strength 6 (Extras: Linked[super Strength]) + Super Strength 3 (Effective Strength 35, Heavy Load 1.5 tons, Extras: Linked[Enhanced Strength]) [9PP] (Volume Amp) (6+3 <=9)

Alternate Power: Blast 4 (200-2000 feet, Extras: Linked[stun], Penetrating Flaws: Action(Full Round), Feats: Improved Range 2, Knockback 2) + Stun 4 (Extras: Linked[blast], Range[Ranged], Flaws: Action(Full Round), Daze, Feats: Improved Range 2) [12 + 6 = 18PP] (Sonic Beam) (4+4<=9)

I also corrected the math regarding those powers, such as grapple, DCs, etc.

I was thinking that a subtle movement would be used to help him sneak up on enemies, without producing much noise, if at all. His vibrational control is such that it subconciously cancels out any noise(Which is basically a mechanical wave produced by vibrations) he creates when not exerting himself, such as when attacking. He is still detectable by means of smell or sight, and his offensive powers require to much power to be subtle.

On his backstory, Net Fly used subtle movement, in order to not alert his captors.

EDIT:

Reading the Errata, I think I made a mistake in the build, by limiting my powers in the Sonic Converter array, so that they don't exceed it's rank. I reverted the Linked powers so that they are only limited by it's power point pool(18 PP pool).

Base Power: Enhanced Strength 14 (Extras: Linked[super Strength]) + Super Strength 2 (Effective Strength 38, Heavy Load 2.4 tons, Extras: Linked[Enhanced Strength]) [14 + 4= 18PP] (Volume Amp)

Alternate Power: Blast 9 (90-900 feet, Extras: Linked[stun], Flaws: Action(Full Round)) + Stun 9 (Extras: Linked[blast], Range[Ranged], Flaws: Action(Full Round), Daze) [9 + 9 = 18PP] (Sonic Beam)

I also corrected the math, once again... sigh.

• 1 year later...