JDRook - The Stickler - PL10

This would have an interesting effect, since the full defense is technically Eddie's natural defense and the flaw is defined as an aspect of the gravity powers. Therefore, in the event of his powers being nullified, his defense rating would actually improve, at least vs physical attacks. Is that still acceptable numbers-wise as long as everybody is aware of the effect?

I don't think so, though I might be missing something (I've been doing that a lot lately :lol: ).

If I understand your intent correctly, your character would be built something like this:

-Defense Bonus: +4 (8 PPs)

-Enhanced Trait (Defense Bonus) {Gravity} +4 [Flaws] (4 PPs).

So the total cost would be 12 PPs, and your defense would be +8 vs. physical attacks, and +4 vs energy attacks. If your gravity powers were nullified you would drop to +4 vs. all kinds of attacks.

Does that make sense?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so, though I might be missing something (I've been doing that a lot lately :lol: ).

If I understand your intent correctly, your character would be built something like this:

Does that make sense?

Yes, you are missing something, but that's okay, because it's unusual. The intent was to simulate a latent gravity field that pulls physical attacks toward Stickler, making him easier to hit, both melee and ranged. I was originally going to write it up as a drawback but wasn't sure how. Heridfel suggested the "only vs energy" bonus to simulate the same effect, something like:

-Enhanced Trait (Defense Bonus) {Gravity} +4 [Flaws]NON-Physical Attacks only] (4 PPs)

which would work, but only if nullification of his gravity powers would also nullify the flaw. In that case, defense would be +4 vs. physical attacks, and +8 vs energy attacks. If his gravity powers were nullified, that should also nullify the gravity field and therefore the flaw, raising his defense to +8 vs. all kinds of attacks.

The concept is a little different because it's not really a power, it's a negative impact on the character. I could call it a drawback, but in game turns, can it be nullified as I've described without resorting to goldbergian mathematics?

If it's too troublesome, I can always skip it. I've already got 2 custom flaws on this character, no need to rewrite all the rules for him.

Does that make sense?

Yes, you are missing something, but that's okay, because it's unusual. The intent was to simulate a latent gravity field that pulls physical attacks toward Stickler, making him easier to hit, both melee and ranged. I was originally going to write it up as a drawback but wasn't sure how. Heridfel suggested the "only vs energy" bonus to simulate the same effect, something like:

-Enhanced Trait (Defense Bonus) {Gravity} +4 [Flaws]NON-Physical Attacks only] (4 PPs)

which would work, but only if nullification of his gravity powers would also nullify the flaw. In that case, defense would be +4 vs. physical attacks, and +8 vs energy attacks. If his gravity powers were nullified, that should also nullify the gravity field and therefore the flaw, raising his defense to +8 vs. all kinds of attacks.

The concept is a little different because it's not really a power, it's a negative impact on the character. I could call it a drawback, but in game turns, can it be nullified as I've described without resorting to goldbergian mathematics?

If it's too troublesome, I can always skip it. I've already got 2 custom flaws on this character, no need to rewrite all the rules for him.

Ah, makes sense now.

And yeah, it is way too much trouble for my taste with very little in-game payoff. You would also have to describe how it works when you are flat-footed (i.e. would half of your defense "penalty" from gravity attraction be a "dodge bonus" like regular defense). The whole thing is just needlessly complex in my opinion.

Seriously, if it was me and I really wanted to be easier to hit with physical attacks because of gravitational attraction, I would just buy my Defense up to +8 and when someone was making a physical attack against me, I'd just tell 'em my Defense was 14. :D

Ah, makes sense now.

And yeah, it is way too much trouble for my taste with very little in-game payoff. You would also have to describe how it works when you are flat-footed (i.e. would half of your defense "penalty" from gravity attraction be a "dodge bonus" like regular defense). The whole thing is just needlessly complex in my opinion.

Seriously, if it was me and I really wanted to be easier to hit with physical attacks because of gravitational attraction, I would just buy my Defense up to +8 and when someone was making a physical attack against me, I'd just tell 'em my Defense was 14. :D

This might work and be relatively simple:

Drawback: Stickler gets a -2 dodge vs all physical (ie gravity-affected) attacks whenever he uses his powers.

This defines the limitation without mucking about in Defense minutiae, as well as working properly in case of nullification. I would assume the Frequency to be at least common, depending on how much combat comes up; and probably Minor Intensity, although +2 dodge is his entire dodge bonus at the moment.

Which brings up another point: glancing at the Doing the Math chart for Archetypes, I see that my Combat and Saves point allocations are way below par. I have 5 points left over (8-9 if we include the drawback), so should I be throwing that all into Combats and Saves? Should I ramp back other traits to increase them?

This might work and be relatively simple:

Drawback: Stickler gets a -2 dodge vs all physical (ie gravity-affected) attacks whenever he uses his powers.

This defines the limitation without mucking about in Defense minutiae, as well as working properly in case of nullification. I would assume the Frequency to be at least common, depending on how much combat comes up; and probably Minor Intensity, although +2 dodge is his entire dodge bonus at the moment.

Which brings up another point: glancing at the Doing the Math chart for Archetypes, I see that my Combat and Saves point allocations are way below par. I have 5 points left over (8-9 if we include the drawback), so should I be throwing that all into Combats and Saves? Should I ramp back other traits to increase them?

Works for me. I'd call that a 3 pt. drawback (Very Common, Minor).

My rules of thumb(s) for this is:

-Fort, Ref, and Will saves that average PL

-At least one attack that is PL or better to hit and PL or better on damage

-Defense and Toughness that are at PL most of the time

Works for me. I'd call that a 3 pt. drawback (Very Common, Minor).

So with the drawback and a little clean-up, I have 10 pp to play with. I may need more to meet your guidelines, though.

So for a PL 10 campaign all three should total around 30, which puts Eddie about 10-12 points shy, currently.

The Juggling Strike should do for that.

which looks like at least another 12 points just in defense, particularly to help offset that drawback.

I'm thinking I could lower his Abilities a bit and drop his Auto-Deflect down a rank to make up the balance. Any suggestions along those lines?

So with the drawback and a little clean-up, I have 10 pp to play with. I may need more to meet your guidelines, though.

So for a PL 10 campaign all three should total around 30, which puts Eddie about 10-12 points shy, currently.

The Juggling Strike should do for that.

which looks like at least another 12 points just in defense, particularly to help offset that drawback.

I'm thinking I could lower his Abilities a bit and drop his Auto-Deflect down a rank to make up the balance. Any suggestions along those lines?

Yeah, though if you need to skimp a little, skimping on Ref seems to be the best choice.

That could help. I'd probably drop my Dex (and Enhanced Dex down) and/or maybe Cha. I hate to make Cha a "dump stat" but it doesn't look like high Dex and Cha are essential to your character concept.

Yeah, though if you need to skimp a little, skimping on Ref seems to be the best choice.

That could help. I'd probably drop my Dex (and Enhanced Dex down) and/or maybe Cha. I hate to make Cha a "dump stat" but it doesn't look like high Dex and Cha are essential to your character concept.

I'd probably drop my Dex (and Enhanced Dex down) and/or maybe Cha. I hate to make Cha a "dump stat" but it doesn't look like high Dex and Cha are essential to your character concept.

You're probably right. I wanted the A6 to slowly improve all his physical abilities, in order of Con, Str and Dex. Since Dex has less direct combat influence than I'm used to from other systems, keeping it down makes sense. I can just compensate in other areas.

I do want to keep his Cha up, to fit with his street performing, even though I've given him Fascinate already as an A6 side-effect. He had Intimidate before as well, since I'd based him on a Criminal/Thug hybrid and I thought it'd be fun to give this little guy some swagger. :D

I've made what I hope are the last adjustments. Do it work yet, huh?

I'd probably drop my Dex (and Enhanced Dex down) and/or maybe Cha. I hate to make Cha a "dump stat" but it doesn't look like high Dex and Cha are essential to your character concept.

You're probably right. I wanted the A6 to slowly improve all his physical abilities, in order of Con, Str and Dex. Since Dex has less direct combat influence than I'm used to from other systems, keeping it down makes sense. I can just compensate in other areas.

I do want to keep his Cha up, to fit with his street performing, even though I've given him Fascinate already as an A6 side-effect. He had Intimidate before as well, since I'd based him on a Criminal/Thug hybrid and I thought it'd be fun to give this little guy some swagger. :D

I've made what I hope are the last adjustments. Do it work yet, huh?

I don't know if I missed it before, but we're not allowing the "powers as feats" from the Mastermind's Manual, and Tough falls under that category. I'd usually suggest changing it to Protection; however, that wouldn't stack with your equipment. I'd probably change Tough to Defensive Roll, since I remember that you had wanted to remain below human maximum Constitution, at least to start.

I don't know if I missed it before, but we're not allowing the "powers as feats" from the Mastermind's Manual, and Tough falls under that category. I'd usually suggest changing it to Protection; however, that wouldn't stack with your equipment. I'd probably change Tough to Defensive Roll, since I remember that you had wanted to remain below human maximum Constitution, at least to start.

I'd probably change Tough to Defensive Roll, since I remember that you had wanted to remain below human maximum Constitution, at least to start.

True and true. Done and done. 2 ranks Tough is now 2 ranks Defensive Roll. Now how does he look?

PS - speaking of equipment, I left a few spaces open in my equipment array in case I needed space for tools or what not. My armor's currently +3 Tough Subtle: might I get cleared to bump that to +4 Tough Subtle?

I'd probably change Tough to Defensive Roll, since I remember that you had wanted to remain below human maximum Constitution, at least to start.

True and true. Done and done. 2 ranks Tough is now 2 ranks Defensive Roll. Now how does he look?

PS - speaking of equipment, I left a few spaces open in my equipment array in case I needed space for tools or what not. My armor's currently +3 Tough Subtle: might I get cleared to bump that to +4 Tough Subtle?

Just for the sake of clarification:

[a] Strike 10 (Extra: Autofire, PF: Thrown, Subtle, Ricochet 2, Split Attack, Accurate, DB: Power Loss*) (costs 25 pp)

Thrown already requires you to "reload" in some way after each throw (e.g. going to get whatever you've thrown to throw again), so 1) Your Power Loss Drawback is pretty much moot on a thrown power, and 2) the power you describe (a nearly endless supply of things you can juggle and throw) is a lot more like the Blast power with the Power Loss Drawback (or maybe even just a Complication if you almost never run out of ammo).

You could easily do:

[a] Blast 10 (Extra: Autofire, PF: Ricochet 2, Split Attack, Accurate, DB: Power Loss,* Reduced to 2 Range Increments) (costs 31 pp) and still have it fit in your array.