Earth Victoriana: Deliver Us From Evil (IC)

"No, not until dark. So, why not do some sight seeing as well as a healthy dose of eavesdropping. Alternate dimension or not, they still appreciate tourism in this region plus,"

She pulled a pouch out from a hidden pocket in the otherwise plain skirt,

"I got a discressionary fund, no better information tells then local businesses, and they'll always share information with paying customers. So you want to come with or do your own thing? If you want to go around by yourself we can meet back here before sunset."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gabriel knew, going in, that this wouldn't be as easy as casing the streets back home. The people here didn't know him, hadn't seen him work, had no real knowledge of heroes (especially the super sort), and generally seemed afraid of a lot of things. Instead of anger, he mostly just felt sad, seeing so many innocents living in a double layer of fear. They feared the Church's power over them in everyday life, and they feared these disappearances.

Still, Gabriel got along fairly well after a few minutes. He found his biggest advantage was the rather blatant symbolism all over his costume, combined with speaking gently to the rather frightened people all around. While most referred to those kidnapped as "others", they worried they might end up as "others". He was also concerned by the idea of "undesirables" being formalized by the Church.

Just as worrying, though, was the fact that this whole series of events seemed tailor-made to instigate trouble between Britain and the Vatican. Deciding he needed to convene with his impromptu partner, Gabriel headed back to where they'd started out, resisting the urge to fly about. He did stop once or twice to listen hard, though, to see if he could catch wind of her location.

Carrie could see Gabriel coming by literately a mile away, he sort of stood out in the dimming light he still looked whiter then white bread. Carrie in contrast had picked up a few things in her little shopping/info gathering trip. First was a black cap, and a pair of lacey black gloves which she wore on each hand. Then on her chest was a simple silver cross pendant on a chain. She didn't wave or anything she just waited until he arrived and said,

"So, what's the skinny? From what I've gathered the shopkeepers have something grinding their nerves, and those fellows aren't helping the situation any."

She pointed a thumb over at one of the numberous grey clads that dotted the area even as it was emptying out for the night.

Gabriel gave an understanding nod.

"Hm. Fits with the tone I've been getting. Seems like most of these disappearances have been happening in Italy, especially near here. Not a total shock, but outside confirmation is good. What is news is that a lot of them don't get reported, or at least not quickly; they're often "undesirable" individuals, whatever that means. Seems like opinion is split on whether it's the Church, or the Brits framing the Church. Either way, everyone's really, really nervous."

He glanced around, uncertainty on his face.

"Honestly, I can't say for sure which option I find more plausible, but experience tells me it may be whoever's behind curtain number three."

"Yeah, that's what I figured too. Even if the Catholic church seems a bit dominating, I doubt they're directly responsible for any of this. British Empire as flawed as it is culturally, doesn't seem like it would make any really bad political choices like mass kidnapping. So now we have to figure out who's behind curtian number three."

She started to stretch a bit before letting out a sigh and looking at Gabriel,

"And, this is the part you may not like. Though I don't think the church is directly involved, someone might be using some of their resources or powers to try and pull this off. So, I'm gonna go take a stroll into the Vatican and look for clues or some sort of paper trail. So any objections other then the obvious breaking and entering bit?"

"The British wouldn't do something that had such a strong possibility of implicating themselves. And the Church...as a single unit, I find it doubtful it would undertake such measures. Some radical splinter group is possible, though an unpleasant thought."

His expression went first to surprise, then to actual annoyance as Carrie stated (not asked, stated!) that she was going to break into the Vatican (dimensional differences did not matter). He looked her right in the eyes, and suddenly only Carrie could hear him; her only tip-off that he was using his powers was the fact that his lips didn't seem to move at all.

"Carrie, I've been pretty flexible on this "trip" of ours, mostly because I've accepted that this world is not ours, and we may need to step differently. But I don't think we've so thoroughly exhausted our options that we must jump directly to breaking and entering, whatever the means. That you would be doing so in the Vatican itself, a place millions, probably billions, on this world consider a holy place, and that I myself hold in no small amount of reverence, is simply insult on injury. We have been here for perhaps a couple of hours. Yes, it might be easier for you now, because we approach night time. But I refuse to believe it is our only and best option. Could we not wait until the morning, when I could speak to the priests? I am sure I could phrase the questions gently, so that we do not warn these theoretical perpetrators before we gain some clues for our investigation. You might be shocked the doors soft, sincere words might open."

She let out a sigh,

"Yeah, I know, I know, I know."

She let out a deeper sigh,

"It's sacred, I am very very aware of this. It's just that when you think that maybe just maybe, the people you're asking might be involved in whatever thing you're investigating, just asking politely rarely does the job."

She put a hand through her hair,

"Okay, yeah, I probably don't look very good for suggesting it. But I'm not that good with asking nicely or getting people to listen to what I have to say, I'm not. I am good at sneaking around, getting into places that are usually off limits, I don't like doing it a lot of the time, and I certianly don't do it unless I have a good reason but I am very selectively, sickeningly good at it. But yeah, please, lets do your way first, lets ask, or see if we can ask if we can see church file, or ask nicely if the priests think that someone in the church is stealing people in their sleep."

She went over her words,

"Okay, that wasn't sarcasm for the record. If you think you can get the answers out, lets go do that. I'll go with you and keep my mouth shut and listen to what they have to say. But I'll tell you this, we do this tonight then, because I don't trust sleeping in this city."

"The key with this sort of thing is not to lie so much as it is to ask questions that let the other person naturally lead you to the truth. Besides. If nothing else, we may get some names, names that may not be written down so that things are more secure.

I do think we can get the answers, yes. And fair enough about not sleeping here, though it will make things a bit more difficult..."

Gabriel looked around for a moment, nodded, and purposefully started walking toward the front entrance of the main building of the Vatican, the residence of the Pope and its attached church and so forth. He just hoped he was ready for what he might encounter...

GM

The first thing the encountered at the Vatican was simply a big closed door, with two of the grey clad guards at the entrance. One really couldn't see into the building itself, the windows were small thin cracks that hinted existance though candlight and shadows. The guards themselves held a pike at each side and as the two strange figures approached looked none too friendly onto them,

"What do you lot want?"

Gabriel gave the guards a small, disarming smile as he stepped up, before his face grew serious. He would need to approach this with the utmost of care.

"Gentlemen, I realize the hour is unusual for a visit to this most holy of places, and that we certainly did not have an appointment, reservation, notice, or anything of that sort prepared. Nevertheless, if it is within your power at all to grant, I beg you let us enter this place. We have heard of the strange goings-on here in this holy city. We fear there is something deeper at work. Something sinister. I do not know about you gentlemen, but the very thought of some dark force working a plan in this place sickens me to the core. It is with conviction and a heavy heart I come here. I hope that by speaking with the wise men inside, I may perhaps find a few clues as to what is going on. Investigating such a thing is much like putting together a puzzle, you see, and I still lack many pieces, despite God's grace in giving me what I have currently. I hope to make a minimum of disturbance, and will certainly not seek to agitate any occupants for agitation's sake, though I make no promises that the dire things I speak of may not agitate those inside. So again, good sirs, I beg of you the boon of allowing the two of us entry into this grand temple, that we may try to achieve some small measure of that holy concept known as justice."

Putting aside the rather dazzling torrent of words he'd just poured out, Carrie might note that Gabriel had been very careful not to lie about anything, and not to demand anything of the guards. It seemed he hoped honey would do better than vinegar today...

The guards looked at him with the same grumpy expression, but they didn't really seem to make any hostile movements. Instead, they moved to the side and opened up the gate to let them inside wordlessly with a few gestures. One took the lead, the other took up the rear. They went down the cooridor of the ancient building decorated scarcely with only a few tapestries of religious symbols and candle lit torches,

"Where are we going?"

Carrie broke the silence as the guards led,

"You want to know something, you go to the chancellor. If he'll see you, you can talk, if not, you have to leave."

Carrie didn't make any real expression, but said with a light breath,

"Kay then,"

About five doors and a stairwell later, they were at a large wooden door with a wooden plake with the words chancellor on it. One of the guards entered the room ahead of them returning a few moments later. It was impossible to hear past the large doors, and when they opened them it was easy to see why. Every wall that wasn't occupied by a thin window had a bookshelf on it as high as the ceiling with thick unmarked volumes packed into every crevice. The center of the room was a desk with only one chair covered in papers and writing. The chancellor was a thin man with thinner hair that was snow white. He was in traditional esc Vatican robs with a quill and hand and a piece of parchment in front of him. He looked up at Carrie and Gabriel through a pair of large oval glasses, he only spoke when the door was closed once more,

"The guards said you suspect something sinister happening in the city, you are not the first to think such, and I doubt the last but please, explain why you are here, it does break the monotony of record keeping to have company."

Carrie looked at him for a second, she couldn't tell if the tone was amused, but he seemed nice enough,

"The disappearances, is there anything you know."

"In the last two months, there have been recorded disappears of fifty two individuals from various settlements throughout the country, however there have been none recorded in the city. Though I heard, people think otherwise."

Gabriel smiled and nodded his head at the terms the guards put forth.

"That's entirely reasonable, gentlemen. Thank you for your patience and willingness to assist us."

He quietly followed them to the study of this chancellor, observing what he could as they went. When they arrived, he took in the room with a neutral eye, trying to discern what he could before he began speaking with the man. When the chancellor addressed them, he turned his 100-watt smile on "full blast".

"I'm honored your meeting with us sir. I promise we'll try not to waste your time."

His face grew sober as he continued.

"Yes, we strongly suspect something's going on. The ones in this particular city aren't getting officially reported. Likely due partly to fear on the part of the average citizen, and partly due to the potential nature of the apparent targets. That is to say, some seemed to think of them as "undesirables".

My own concern is with potential motives. There are some factors that could point to either the British...or the Holy Church."

Gabriel shook his head.

"I don't believe it's either. I am of a mind that some third party is behind this, attempting to cloud the issue by leaving as little evidence as possible, and then preying upon existing suspicions."

The man in the collar looked at Carrie and Gabriel with a practiced patient and thoughtful look. He shut the book and stood from the desk,

"While I understand your concerns, do you have any proof of this third party."

Carrie was fingering through the books she turned to look at the man as he spoke though, she tried to sound just as thoughtful, but it couldn't sound as convincing as her companion,

"We have none,"

He glanced at her then turned her attention back to Gabriel,

"Then it is just speculation then. You cannot very well act on that now can you,"

Carrie didn't look away,

"People are missing though, in this city and it hasn't been reported. Why would that be?"

The man glanced at Carrie, there was something in his eyes that looked like recognition, but it was only there for a second,

"I would not have the foggiest, fancy title or not, I am just a records keeper, I do not file the reports, I just organize them."

This time Carrie stopped her skimming,

"Then who files the reports then?"

The man stopped and put a hand on his chin,

"I suppose that would fall under the task of the Inquisition, are you suggesting that they have anything to do with it."

Carrie glanced over at Gabriel. Before taking a few steps towards the door.

Gabriel noticed Carrie's move to the door, and gave her a piercing look. His lips didn't move, but in her ears, she heard his voice whisper.

"^No. Not yet.^"

He turned to face the chancellor, his face falling into a friendly, but serious, expression.

"We have no proof of any party being involved. Which is part of my suspicion. Whoever this is seems to be working not to leave a trail. My theory about a third party is because Britain has nothing to gain by doing this, and the Church at large doesn't seem like it would use such skullduggery. Ergo, some other group.

And despite not filing the initial reports, you still see them, yes? Have you noticed anything odd, be it unusual things written down, or an unusual absence of anything?

As for the Inquisition, I'm suggesting nothing. I'm not sure I have enough data yet to suggest something."

He fought to hold the grimace off his face.

'The Inquisition was one of our greatest mistakes in history; a world where they still exist does not sit entirely well with me.'

The Chancellor walked over to the books and pulled one from the shelf. He set it down and started to thumb through,

"Truthfully, there are usually a couple of unaccounted for purchases and requisitions every few months. Usually it is treated as an error or simply something that has been forgotten or misplaced. This has held true for all the years I have done filing."

He placed a hand on the page and looked up at the man in white,

"There is something missing from this little rende vu, you have entered this place, and asked for my assistance without ever properly introducing yourself, or stating your purpose wearing a mask no less."

Carrie kept her back to the door leaning on it,

"We're here to help, it's a bit of a custom from where we're from for helpers to conceal their idenities, my name is Caroline though, Caroline Wendle, or Carrie for short."

The man adjusted his glasses,

"Alright, Miss Caroline, and then if you conceal your idenity, what do you call yourself?"

"Gabriel. You may call me Gabriel."

Said the man wearing shining armor forged in one of the suburbs of Heaven, gifted powers by an Archangel, and wearing a white leather coat with holy symbols on it.

"I wear a mask to protect others even more than myself. Where I come from, it's a necessity. Here, I felt it prudent, as travel between these dimensions seems to be...rather easy, really."

He looked over the various records, frowning more and more as he continued to take it all in.

"Someone is planning something. A...Lord help me, but it seems like it might be a ritual. Look, here. Candles, chalk, measuring instruments, livestock. Plenty more. Individually, they're at most mildly odd. But the timing, with the more "perishable" items coming in successively later, and the small number of ordering individuals, makes it suspicious. I just don't what they want to do with it all..."

"A ritual, you mean like magic, but that is.."

"Sinful?"

Carrie offered,

"Taboo,"

The Chancellor was a bit less steady then before,

"Absolutely taboo, such practices are considered outright treason by the church."

Carrie stretched a little bit before taking a few steps forward, she had a couple of reasons in mind why magic wasn't this super horrible thing, but she kept a lid on it cause it seemed there seemed to be few credible cases in this realm to attribute to that fact,

"Well Chancellor, that makes it even more dire then that we figure out who exactly are doing it then."

The man stood up and closed the book,

"No disrespect, but this is clearly something of an internal matter, and will be handled as such."

Carrie opened her mouth but stopped, turned towards Gabriel,

"Yeah, why don't you take this?"

Gabriel closed his eyes and sighed. Carrie had no subtly at all...

"Chancellor, sir. Please understand this: there is no way we can't be involved at this point. If nothing else, my conscience as a Catholic means I have to try and find out who's doing this. Beyond that...you may very well need our help. Think about it. Right now, we 3 know something's going on. There are others who know: the conspirators. You need allies, sir. We are those allies. While Carrie may not show the same...deference...to the Church as I, I will vouch that she is as committed as both of us to seeing this thing through.

Beyond that..."

He closed his eyes for a moment, and took a deep, pained sigh.

"I have seen before the dangers of refusing any outside help when investigating dark, secret things. For the sake of the Church, for the sake of all the sheep in the flock, please, let us help. We are hunting wolves, Chancellor. It would be best for the sheepdogs to work together."

"Well it's not the Church that I sh...."

Carrie wasn't able to put in her last statement as the doors flung open. Behind them were six of the grey glad men with guns at the ready. They didn't give anybody real time to react, only a lot of experience in ambush tactics herself saved Carrie from getting more then a graze as she ducked for cover. As the bullets flew though, she couldn't help but gasp as two of the shots tore into the Chancellor. She narrowed her gaze but rushed through the room to his side first. It was way more important to get him somewhere safe before it was too late then to give these guys their due, even if she really, really wanted too.

Gabriel turned as the men in grey burst into the room. He was already stepping in front of the chancellor when the first shots flew out. Most missed entirely. A few struck his armor and *spanged* into the walls or furniture. A couple managed to scrape some of his less-protected flesh (especially near his armpits). He didn't seem to notice the pain.

Instead, the anger on his face was due to the sight of the blood flowing from the Chancellor's wounds. Carrie had already moved to help him, which was good. Gabriel was interested in something different. He finished stepping in front of his fellow hero and the simple man of the cloth, and spoke in harsh, clipped tones.

"Get him somewhere safe. These men are mine."

He took a deep breath, and then shouted. But it was by no means a normal shout. While Carrie could hear the attack, to her it was as if Gabriel was speaking loudly, in a somewhat deeper voice than normal.

To the men suspected of being Inquisition lapdogs, it was like being struck by a solid wall that shook them to their bones, moving faster than any vehicle in this world likely could move.

The sonic attacked put the men off there guard, off there feet and out of there conciousness. Though Carrie didn't even seemed phased by the events as the bleeding Chancellor was still a more grave concern. She tore off her long skirt (revealing a pair of trousers underneath instead of a stadard petticoat) and tried to wrap it around his wounds but it didn't do very much good as medicine was not her fortee. Instead she picked him up and heaved him onto her back. He wasn't very heavy, the billowy church cloths made him look larger then he was but she still grunted as she moved forward,

"We have to get him to the British Conselet, those guys are basically this whole regions police force, he won't be safe anywhere else."

Gabriel frowned a bit and heft the chancellor to a fairly stable position.

"I'll get him to the Consulate. You start heading for the entrance, I'll pick you up as well. We really shouldn't split up right now any more than we absolutely have to. We can talk about how to get back in here soon."

With those words, Gabriel left the room in a rush of air. Had the chancellor been aware of his surroundings, he'd have experienced an incredibly disorienting rush of sight and sound, and then a rather quick stop right at the door to the British Consulate. Gabriel frowned and spoke, his voice echoing throughout the building...but not an inch further.

"I need someone to take an injured VIP off my hands at the front door! We still have an agent in the field in danger!"

GM

Whatever could be said about the tension between the British Empire and the church certainly didn't show in the instant reaction of people swarming Gabriel. Three nurses had already rolled out a bed and IV for the man as well as two other Doctors who were rushing him down the hallway to what was persumed an infirmary. No one wasted time with questions at that moment, there was a dieing man there and he needed treatment. Well no one asked questions until M appeared at least.

The older well dressed gentleman walked over to Gabriel whom he just confirmed had in fact flown into the door. There were many questions, but he saw that Carrie was not with the man,

"Situation status if you may, ten words or less then hurry back to your companions side."

Gabriel was already moving out the door, but he clearly wasn't flying that fast as his voice entered the ears of M.

"Chancellor not corrupt. Helped uncover conspiracy. Group within the Church. Large, foul ritual planned. Retrieving Carrie."

It was clear he'd given the information as a mere courtesy, and didn't consider the British man any sort of actual authority figure. A moment later, a sonic boom rumbled the windows.

Moments later, he was at the front door of the Vatican, his eyes searching for Carrie. Round trip had been perhaps a minute. His voice cast about the area around him, seeking only her ears. His own ears strained to hear her voice, and in that strain they easily covered a huge range...

"At the front door. Hurry up. Yell if you need help."

With that, Carrie appeared at the front door walking out when she heard him, she simply appeared like somehow she had been hidden before. It didn't matter, she waved upward at him but shot a glance in front of her near the gate where she found several other guards had also appeared, and she promptly disappeared though not in the front door, she disappeared from the spot like she was hidden. It was certianly baffling to the group of men who were preparing to fire onto her. Though Gabriel could hear her when she yelled,

"Keep one of them concious."