Urban Regeneration

GM

"What the...?" blurted out the hooligan, as the hand of Revenant creeped away from the chains and grabbed his leg, sending him sprawling all over her.

"Get off me! Get off me!" shouted the man, fear gripping his voice. He twisted and turned, dislodging more chains as he did so. Revenant could feel the weight of them slowly subsiding with every jangle and movement.

The other thugs around him started, shocked by the action in front of them, but undecided what to do. Their confusion was broken with the entry of two men into the warehouse.

One was a short, stout man of mixed race, wearing a white suit and with a clean shaved head. His eyes where bright white and he had an ivory cane - or wand - tucked under his arm. He was pushing a wheelchair that had in it the second man.

This man could hardly be called alive. He was a withered corpse, slightly decaying, but still preserved. As dead as a doornail. However, the corpse figure was hooked up to a system of wires and machines that sprung from the heavy wheelchair. The air in the warehouse grew cool with his entrance, and was no doubt freezing around the corpse itself. He looked frozen. And that was exactly what he was.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn the man was heavy. She could normally lift a small car without any issues but now one, admittedly large, man was taking all her efforts. She risked releasing an hand to try to get a better hold and to dig into his ribs trying to get him to shift around more to release the final chains.

She was rapidly running out of time, she needed another distraction. And then in he walked in, hopefully she wasn’t quite out of luck yet.

“Is that what it’s all about? Is your high and mighty revenge just another chance to make a quick buck?†she spat the word with she hoped just the right amount of venom.

GM

“Is that what it’s all about? Is your high and mighty revenge just another chance to make a quick buck?†.

The dark skinned, white suited Man looked at Revenant blankly as she spoke.

"La Morte! La Morte!" he cackled in an accented French.

"Silenti etc vadum intereo , silenti etc vadum ago!*" he laughed again, louder, with a contortion of his body accompanying his mad cackle. He did not seem quite sane.

Revenant's initial tormentor, the thug with the gun gave an uneasy laugh. "He don't understand, toots. No speaky da english. Some Hiatian voodoo man. And guess who is in the wheelchair? Da Boss! You may not recognise him, on account of him being, like, dead. But that's all going to change now. Hahaha! See? You get to do one last service for da boss! Mr. Voodoo here, he is going to take your undeadness, scoop it right up, and give it to Da Boss!!!"

*The dead shall die, the dead shall live!

Well she had the time, but it had also revealed the full extent of the plan they had for her. She didn’t fear death, she’d already done that, but she couldn’t let someone like Giovanni return to life.

“So more than petty revenge you want to swap one Revenant for another. You know he won’t let you live after you return him to life? There no way he would let you live with that much power over him. And I’m probably the only person alive who know how he was.â€

She turned to the Haitian man and spoke to him in fluent, if not a little rusty, Latin.

“â€

GM

“â€

"Haha" laughed the Hiatian, laying down some curious artifacts on the ground. Revenant could swear one of them was a human skull.

He started mumbling under his breath. The babble hardly made any sense, but contained a soup of Latin and French words alongside what were pure neogolisms.

"" he laughed. ""

He glanced at the chains pinning Revenant down.

"I good wid da chains!" he roared with laughter as his incantations reached a crescendo.

All of a sudden the world went black. Blacker than black, as if the blackness had a life of its own. Revenant seemed to be standing, although she could hardly say on what. A horrible cold wind blew gently against her...

Released of her bond Lucy took a few moments to flex her muscles and take in her environment. Obviously something had changed but she wasn’t quite sure what.

She wracked her brain trying to remember what she knew about Haiti. Her brother had been a marine out there and told the family lurid tales of their strange customs, but nothing concert. She’d always dismissed most of his tales as just stories but now she wasn’t exactly true.

“So here we are, so what happens now?†she repeated the phrase in Latin.

She hoped she was recovered enough to respond to the answer.

GM

Two figures approached Revenant from the nothingness that was not entirely darkness, but more an absence of light or darkness. The Hiatian and...

...it had been so many years ago, but there he was, dressed in his suit and his duster. The boss.

He looked quite shocked.

"What da blazes is going on?" he shouted. "Who da hell? I was...I was....Hell, I was dead!" he said with start, coming too.

"And...its you!" he said, spying Revenant. "You! You crazy little %$@! you little toerag, you got me in da slammer!"

The Hiatian Man saw them both and laughed.

"" he said to Revenant, or perhaps to the boss. Quite possibly to both.

"" he commented, frowning and cracking his knuckles.

"" he said with a little resigned cackle.

Behind him, with a cracking clacking sound, a lattice of bones creaked and bended from the nothing, and formed a black and white portcullis of femurs, tibias, and skeletons. A doorway he stood watch over mindfully.

The boss frowned and rubbed his forehead.

"You all is welcome to my body..." he said "on accounts of it being a frozen slab of meat..."

Behind him a large oak door swam into view, and promptly creaked open revealing a slightly frosty grey nothingness.

Lucy had never been one to fear much and since her waking she hadn’t been afraid of anything. But the true revelation of exactly who this man was sent a shiver of fear through her body.

But she could deal with that later, first she had to make plan in case thing went wrong. She walked over to him, stopping a safe distance from the man.

“You were, and so was I. the difference was that mine was a little more immediate. Tell me how many years did you have, when exactly did you die?â€

She hoped his arrogance and hate for her would buy her time, she suspected he was just as capable as herself in this world. And soon as he figured this out then the real challenge would begin.

GM

“You were, and so was I. the difference was that mine was a little more immediate. Tell me how many years did you have, when exactly did you die?â€

The man looked at Revenant with anger but a degree of caution blended in. A fiery temperament helped rise the ranks of the mafioso, but a degree of caution was needed to stop it killing you.

"I dont know whatsits gotta do with you doll..." he snapped in reply "...yous interferin' put me in this here predicaments in the first place. And I gots no Idea how many days, months, or years I been floating around waiting to come backs. But I tells you this, I had plenty of years left in me. Sure, I may be thinning in my hair but the ticker was strong."

He pumped his chest and have his sternum a thud with a fist.

"Hows I die? Stabbed in that very same ticker. Sure, wasn't you who put the bullet there, sure it weren't. But you went interferin' didn't ya? Couldnt be a good little broad and just take the money like the rest of those bent coppers and judges. No no, you had to go prosecute...puts me in Jail, no bail before the trial. And thats when I got shanked baby...shanked in the heart. The other bosses knew I was weak, thought I would squeal, so no deal, simpler just to die in the slammer..."

He grinned.

"...only seems a gots a second chance now!"

“I’m surprised they could find such a small target. You got to float her for the last how many years, hiding from you fate. I got 24 hours before your thugs put a bullet in my brain.â€

Hiding the disgust she straightened up and looked down on the aged gangster.

“You don’t have to do this Don Giovanni, just give up go to whatever rewards you’ve earned. I’m sure this man here can make sure you get a pleasant afterlife. Otherwise I’ll fight you every step of the way, and I’ll win and you’ll suffer. If not from me then from where ever you end up.â€

As she spoke she tried to subtly put herself between the duo and the bone door that (she guessed) lead to her body.

GM

The voodoo man laughed at Revenant.

"Afterlife h'aint got diddly-no to do wit' it!" he spluttered "Souls come, Souls go, and here dey move between tis' world and de others. Who can say who live, who die?"

He sounded half crazy, and wasn't making any sense, just rambling. The man looked quite insane, and yet in this strange world, Revenant could feel that very insanity feeding him, making him strong. Perhaps he had to be half crazy in order to survive.

His bone door looked strong. Or rather she could feel it was strong. Reinforced with lashings of pure will, guarding...his body?

"Well, boss man..." laughed the crazy Hiatian "...the Lady here, she got no nothing door, no castle, so she ripe to enter, ripe as a lovely fruit!"

The boss looked uncertain.

"But where?" he asked, hesitantly "I..can't see any door? unless...she ain't built one...which means....?"

"...I just step through?" he said with a broad grin on his face.

Damn all this mystical stuff was still new to her, luckily it had its own set of rules and laws, and that she could manage. Now all she had to do is learn all the rules. Thank god that the insane Haitian had a habit of monologging, it gave her a chance to catch up before Giovanni could, hopefully, make his move.

But she didn’t have a clue how to create a door. She closed her eyes and tried to clear her mind of the distractions around her. The only door that came to mind was a simple plain white door that of her parents’ bedroom. It was comforting with a warm welcome but also a place of safety where the monsters could never get her.

But would her fond memories be enough to provide her with protection?

GM

"That piece of junk? awww...aint it cute..." said the Boss, guffawing at the plain white door.

He took a sidelong glance at the boned fortress door of the Hiatian, who huddled next to it with a fierce glare, protecting his body. The bones there appeared jagged, and rattled slightly like the teeth of an angry beast.

"Well, now there is a door!" he proclaimed "I wouldn't try my luck getting thro..."

He didn't finish his sentence, but instead made a bolt straight for Revenant's Door, looking as if he would throw his whole weight into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well time was up, thankfully she had, she hoped, worked out how this “mindscape†worked.

“That’s one of the many differences between me and you. A closed door could contain a pleasant surprise, a friend, a member of family a lover. To you it only hid killers or conspirators.â€

She figured strongest memories were best, so she thought back to happy childhood memories. In the hall to her, and her sisters, room was a carpet. But it was loose and if she was careful, and her brothers weren’t paying attention…

She knelt down to an almost perfect representation of the carpet leading up to her door. One that Giovanni happened to be running along. With all her strength she pulled on the carpet.

GM

The trick worked flawlessly. The solid, real, and detailed carpet appeared, and was promptly yanked, forcing the Crime Lord straight onto his face.

It was...odd...here, dimensions seemed to be totally arbitary. Although the crook had taken a good dozen long paces towards Revenant's door, the carpet somehow rendered him back tow where he was, even though he hand't moved.

All things, like time, and space, operated very differently.

"What was that?" cried the boss, sprawled on the carpet and smarting from the fall.

"What the hell is this? a carpet???"

• 2 weeks later...

Lucy gave a tight smile; she thought she was starting to get the hang of the way this dimension worked. Her memories seemed to be the strongest power she had so she began to draw on those from her old house. She remembered that she would roll her little brother up in the carpet, let him stew until he would promise to leave her alone.

Distances were optional her so instantly she was beside to ancient gangster rapidly rolling him up within the roll of carpet. So intent were her memories of the events she was drawing on the visage of her twelve year old self looked down of the old man.

“The problem with you is that you just never had, or needed, an imagination. I however don’t have that problem.â€

• 2 weeks later...

GM

“The problem with you is that you just never had, or needed, an imagination. I however don’t have that problem.â€

"Never needed one, toots. Barrel of a gun and a knuckle sandwich always did jes' fine for me!" replied the crime lord as he lay sprawled on the floor.

"Look, toots" he whispered "there is always another option, you know. That hiatian, he's even worse than me. Dabbling in the unspeakables, raising the dead, terrible zombies. No offence, honey, of course. We could pounce him, use his door?"

He looked at Revenant with a wink and then hopeful eyes. "Whaddya say?"

Lucy gave a disturbing little smile.

“Well in that case…â€

Then she hit him in the face with all her force. Boy did that feel good.

“You are a despicable little toad that didn’t deserve to be in the world in the first place. And whatever the cost I’m going to make sure you don’t go back there.â€

She looked up at the Haitian.

“What would it take to banish him to the netherworlds? I guessing some kind of sacrifice, would I do?â€

She narrowed her eyes and looked down at the gangster.

“Like I said you’re not going back whatever the cost.â€

GM

The gangster, at this point, seemed to dissolve, or fade, turning into dust, or gas... it was hard to describe in this strange realm.

He just became less real... like he was asleep, or in a trance, drifting back to his door.

The Hiatian turned to address Revenant, concern crossing his vexed face.

"Now 'den Now 'den" he said, tapping his chin with a finger that looked impossibly long. It seemed that in this realm, even one's physical form could change.

"'Dis is a dilemna. You see, De Boss Man 'ere, 'e paid me good, not in money, but in souls, and 'dat is worth some of consideration. And 'den, if we just goes back to our bodies, all likewise and properlike, 'den we back to square one. You tied up, de Boss Man dead, and you and me both facin' some nasty bullets. What to do 'den. I no fancy de bullets. I am not made of de dead flesh like you. And 'den, you being all bound in de chains, only a matter of time before 'dey work out what to do with you. 'dats if I don't tell em first for 'de saving of me own skin, keep me walkin!"

He laughed a toothy grin at Revenant at the last statement.

"I no interest in banishing 'im to no worlds. I am interested in de going on of 'de livin!"

Revenant stood up to her full height and looked the Haitian square in the eye. Here she was as tall as him, rather than her normal tiny frame.

“Then it seems we need each other at the moment. You wish to carry on living and I, as much as I enjoying living again, need to return to my undead state.†She gave a sly little smile “I would expect that someone like you know how to break my enchantment.â€

She gave a sad little look at the door behind her and the happy memories it enclosed.

“Do this and I let you walk away this once. But if our paths cross again, well you can guess what will happen.â€

GM

“Do this and I let you walk away this once. But if our paths cross again, well you can guess what will happen.â€

"Hah" laughed the Hiatian.

"I knows betters than that..." he smiled with his normal grin.

"You see's I might talks or walks my sweet way out of that, but you" he continued, pointing another impossibly long bony finger at Revenant "has no such luxuries, have you, my little night-queen?"

He was acting as if he was actually enjoying this. But then again, he had probably entered into hard negotiations with all manner of twisted and cunning spirits.

"Seems to me, I gots the upper hands!" he laughed, raising his hands and shaking them jazz-style.

"So, lets say I breaks that enchantments I laid down on you. Lets just say I doos jess' that. Then how's about I walks three times with none's of yer interferin?"

She narrowed her eyes at the Haitian.

“I’ve lived a full life and seen more in the last few months than most people see in a lifetime. I’m ready to meet whatever the afterlife hold. I suspect you however have some serious karma to repay in the next life.â€

She stood there looking stem her arms crossed.

“Twice, and as long as nobody seriously hurt, otherwise the whole deals off. That’s the best deal you’re going to get all day.†A wicked little smile crossed her face “Unless you fancy your chances with the gangsters who think you’ve crossed them.â€

GM

"You driving the hard bargain, missy midnight!" said the Hiatian, deeply unhappy. "Life is so precious too you is it now, that you go round saving all 'dem souls?"

"All 'dem miserable souls? In your great cities of great solitude? hahaha! but no life for yourself, really?"

He put his face up right close.

"Where'd it go? Where'd it go? De Master know! hahaha!"

He twirled and laughed again.

"I tell you what missy, I meet you in 'de halfway. Thrice I walk, but only if no souls be heading down to below, as you so keen on de savin and de wotnot. For me, no walking from 'dat. "

“Oh I still get to dance the Charleston now and again, but that doesn’t mean I won’t give up my unlife to save one person.â€

She gave a thoughtful little look, considering her options. As much as she’d hated to admit it she needed his help to stop the gangster. But with the little knowledge she possessed she knew this agreement would be binding whatever she wished.

“Okay we have a deal, but if you break the bargain nothing will stop me hunting you down and sending you back to your maker.â€

She offered her hand to seal the deal.

GM

The Hiatian spat on his hand and shook Revenant's firmly, giving her a close, scrutinising look with one beady eye.

"Dat's settled den! on both of our souls! may our life be drained down below if we tell lie!" he said in all seriousness. "And remember missy midnight...in dis place, what we say, it mean something. It mean something real. We here in the land of 'de souls, and 'de souls will bind us, you dig?"

And with that he released her hand, and, unblinking, backed off to his door, the bone's cracking wide open to let him back into his body.

"Farewell, missy midnight!" he said, giving a scandalous bow. "I see you in de land of real!"

He gave a laugh.

"Or is it de land of dreams, and 'dis de land of real?"

Back in "'de Land of real'...

Everything was as it was. The boss was still a frozen corpse, Revenants tormentor was still poking her with his handgun, and the Hiatian was still there, open eyes and muttering.

His chanting took on a different rhythm and calibre, and he clicked his fingers, giving Revenant a wink.

All of a sudden, she felt the weights of the chains lift...becoming, to all intents and purposes, normal metal. They still lay on her, but to her strength, she could shake them off like feathers.