Urban Regeneration

She was meant to be a Revenant a spirit of revenge on those that had ended her life, or the survivor of the mob family. But things had happened she had thanks to others become a hero and began to help people. And revenge seemed less important, but a crime family, like any family, have long memories when it comes to revenge.

She even made it easy for then helping out in the soup kitchen in Broadway, a strong hold of the Mafia’s legitimate business. The soups kitchen was off limits but the rest of the strip was fair game.

All it took was a scream for help in the alley, a simple ambush.

When she awoke Lucy could tell that something was wrong, it was too cold. It was cold, she hadn’t felt the cold since she woken up before.

Woken up dead.

She tried to lift herself to have a look around briefly seeing a group of men watching her. Before one of them struck her around the face, knocking her again to the floor.

She tasted blood in her mouth, but all she could think of was how healthy her skin looked.

One of the gangsters lifted up her face and looked into her big brown eyes.

"Long time ago one of our family tried to kill you. Guess I'm going to have to finish the job."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

"No, no, don't get up..." the man said, giving her a toothy grin.

Lying on top of Revenant was a coiled silver chain. It was extremely thin, finely wrought, and can't have weighed more than a few kilo's/

To Revenant, it felt like a crushing load that pinned her to the floor.

"...cost us an arm and a leg, that. Quite literally..." the men around him - Lucy counted five in view - laughed nastily "...those cultists really do ask for the strangest payments...but you know..." he said, prodding Lucy with his shoe "it seems to have done the Job. It keeps the undead down, he said..."

He bent down on his knees, and lowered his voice as he spoke to Lucy.

"So, Ms. Harker. You only live twice. Do you remember?"

Ow everything hurt; she had forgotten how much living took a toll in you. She was full of that nervous energy adrenaline give you, hopefully she’d live to regret it later.

But she had to keep focused she wasn’t that keen on dying twice.

“I remember everything about that night. Have a little reminder right here.†She pointed to the scar on her forehead. Even her voice sounded off.

She thought she recognized the type, a massive ego and need to talk a need to gloat. Keep him talking buy some time that was her best option.

“Don't I get a last request? At least a glass of water, or hopefully something stronger. And I believe a last cigarette is traditional.â€

GM

"Hah, you got some style lady, you got some balls, and some class, I'll give you that. And you know, there ain't no reason to rush this job, is there now?"

He smiled, a toothy grin designed to show off a gold tooth that had replaced on of his front teeth.

"No need at all..."

He clicked his fingers.

"Cigarette, and lets spare the lady some Whiskey. Sorry lady, but it ain't exactly a bar here, you get's whats your given."

Indeed it was not, as far as could be told, it was some warehouse, dusty, empty, dark, and with the faint sound of the sea in the distance.

"Will that does ya? beggars can't be choosers..."

So he was a talker that was good that meant she had time. Time to formulate a plan. She took off her shoes and massaged her feet while they sorted out her drink, an innocent action unlikely to cause a second glance.

It also allowed her to test how much strength she still had, not enough it seemed, she made sure she put the shoes back on in case she had to move quick. She also undid her jacket, to test the strength of the arcane necklace. However hard she tried she could seem to find the necklace, some kind of magical defense she guessed.

She sipped the whiskey, not bad but then again she use to drink stuff brewed in a bathtub, and scanned the room looking for her chance to escape.

She held up the cigarette for someone to light.

“So what's the story? Why are you looking for revenge?â€

GM

"Revenge? Yeah, you could say that, Doll... you could say that. You could say puh-lenty of stuff. But then you always did have a big mouth on you, didn't you?"

He laughed at his own weak joke.

"So, you don't remember much, do you? you don't even remember how you got in this little jam, do ya? no? har har..." he poked her with his gun in the centre of her chest, enjoying himself progressively.

"Can't yer remember?"...

The night before...

The rain was light, but somehow it was wet, the kind of rain that came straight out of a nior film and then sat, unshakable on ones clothes and skin. And mist loitered with intent. Star and moonlight glistened through the streets and alleys of Freedom city...

She liked the rain; it was the only weather that affected her in any way. Since she woke up the cold and heat didn’t seem to register in the slightest.

But even she got wet in the rain.

She had spent a productive night at the soup kitchen at Our Lady of Mercy a lot of the homeless were beginning to trust her more. Already she had heard a few rumors from the folk there, including a worrying one that someone was looking for her.

Actually she had been expecting it for some time having never adopted a costume and with her distinctive eyes some must have by now connected the dots and was hunting her down.

GM

"Help! Help!"

It wasn't flashy, it wasn't extrao-ordinary - it was just a plea for help by a lone woman who should have known better in a dark side steet on a dark knight. Circled by three tough looking thugs who looked like they mean business.

The woman was dressed, it must be said, unwisely, all dolled up to the nines, in clothes that where risky to say the least. But she had every right to wear them without being subject to the molestations of the scum of Freedom City. Scum who, in the city of heroes, should also have known better.

Without thinking she began to run towards the sound of trouble, yes its true wiser steadier heads would have waited and accessed the situation.

But she had always been the kind of person to jump straight into a situation and then work out how to react on the spot.

Still there was something she was getting this strange feeling that something was just off. Over the last few months she had learned to trust these feelings so she paused at the mouth of the alley.

“Hello there do you want to tell me exactly what you are doing?â€

GM

"Take a hike, missy!" said one of the muggers, pulling an alarmingly big gun from his leather jacket.

"Yeah", added another, paused, his fist poised above his victims face ready to take the first blow. "Unless you want to join the fun. You look awful pretty. Always room for more..." he smiled, in a way that oozed nastiness.

The third man just guffawed, in a way that indicated that if speech was even possible for him, it would hardly have been blessed with eloquence.

The "dame" on the floor gibbered slightly, tears running down her cheeks, smudging her make up. It was pure fear, and here was, improbably, a glimmer of a rescue.

She rolled her eyes at his comments; it was frustrating that some men hadn’t changed in the last 80 odd years. She gave the poor woman on the street a friendly look, trying to reassure her that she was here to help.

“I’m sorry I don’t date garbage like you. Actually…â€

Without any apparent effort with just one hand she lifted one of the massive dumpsters sitting in the alley. Holding the dumpster above her head she put the other hand on her hip and gave a broad grin.

“…It’s time to collect the trash.â€

She had to admit dealing with people like this was going to be enjoyable.

GM

The three goons looked at each other incrediously, and then with caution.

"What?" blurted the first, his gun dropping slightly, its handle slipping slightly in surprised, numb fingers.

"Hey..." said the third thug, sporting a purple spiked haircut. "...it...it must be one of them, you know...Supers..." he mumbled. "This ain't right...we weren't paid for this..." he blurted out.

"Lets get out of here. This is hot!" he added, turning heel and running.

The man with the gun took a backwards glance at his loyal ally, who was running full speed away.

"Yeah, no point taking chances" he muttered, although he clearly didn't like it.

"It's your lucky day today, dame..." he added, glancing at his kneeling, crying quarry, as he and the last remaining thug both joined the first man in their escape.

Lucy carefully put the dumpster back down after making sure that the men had defiantly decided to leave her alone. That was almost too easy, should that worry her?

So there was someone after her, it wasn’t a particularly long list and most of them favoured a more direct approach. Actually some would just try to trick her into an alley, but probably wouldn’t use hired thugs. But now was probably not the right time to worry about that.

She bent down towards the woman trying not to appear to threating to the poor woman.

“Hi there are you okay? Do you need any help?†giving her best friendly smile.

GM

"I..I'm fine" whimpered the young woman, crying. "They didn't hurt me...at least, I think they didn't hurt me..." she added, padding herself down and looking at herself.

"Gosh you were brave scaring them off like that. I don't know what came over me...I just...froze I was petrified. I didn't know what they were going to do. I just screamed at the top of my voice. If you hadn't have turned up..."

She left it unsaid, turning her head and crying again.

"I think they took my purse, or snatched it..." she added, turning and walking a few steps away. "Did they take it? I think they just left it here... can you help me?"

She gave another of her friendly little smiles.

“Of cause I’d be happy to help. As long as you’re okay, your health isn’t worth one of those little portable telephones.â€

Lucy move further into the alley scanning around for the poor woman’s lost purse. She wasn’t a generally a suspicious woman, even after all that happened to her over the last few months.

But something was niggling at the back of her mind. If they were really after her why would they have snatched her bag? It was a little unfair to not trust someone she’d just saved from and attack, but better safe than sorry.

She turned around to ask the woman about exactly what happened.

GM

As Lucy moved down the alley, her foot kicked up some dust, revealing a red paint on the ground. As she did, she felt a sudden pang - the strength from her bones and muscles ebbing away.

"Sorry, honey" said the young woman, who could not quite meet Lucy's gaze straight on. "A girl's gotta make a living you know. It ain't easy getting a job acting in this town..."

She looked pretty guilty - or was that part of the act too?

"...they gotcha good eh?" she mumbled.

Revenant could now sense around her the etchings of a magic circle, which she had walked right into. A trap!

Despite the already starting to feel drained Revenant put on a brave front not wanting to show weakness in front of the woman, not whilst there was still a change of escape.

“I do hope you enjoy your 30 pieces of silver. You'll find it warming, until the next time they need a favor.â€

She looked upon the woman with a look of pity, hopeful she wasn't to far committed.

“It's not to late you know, all you have to do is release me from this†she waved her hand around vaguely “Do so and no more need be said.â€

Lucy just hoped the woman had any idea how to undo whatever had been done to her.

GM

"Sorry honey...its to late for me..." replied the dame, somewhat forlorn.

"30 pieces of silver, huh?" she moaned. "Well, toots, that will do me. Its a nasty world out there, honey, and I gotta live in it. Eve if I have to be nasty to do it, you see?"

She seemed determined to make Revenant absolve her.

"Besides, from the way I gets told it, you is dead already, so I ain't exactly an accomplice to murder or anything. Hell, I bet I ain't even breaking a law..."

“Well actually according to the law if you legally prove you are who you say you are...†it must be affecting her faster than she'd expected she was already feeling light headed and babbling.

She drew an unneeded breath and gathered herself together

“It's never to late to turn your life around, just a month or two ago I was living on the street with nothing...â€

She looked at the woman with a concerned look, it surprised herself sometime how much she cared for people despite everything they did.

“I can, and I'm willing to help you. But you have to help me, and help yourself.â€

GM

"Well honey, I am helping myself..."

She examined her nails.

"To those thirty pieces of silver. And besides which anyways, sugar, if I ended up helping you, I would end up as dead as you, except I doubt I would get the luxury of still moving around...."

The blackness was curling around Revenant now, and began to engulf her.

"...so you best be making your final words, and prayers, if you got's any. It ain't natural, it ain't. I'm thinking its best you be better off in the ground anyway, proper burial and 'all. Yeah, probably doing you a favour, toots. "

Lucy carefully sat herself down so not to show how weak she was becoming.

“I can see your not going to be persuaded from your course of action. Your not going to believe anything I say but I hope you well. In that case all I can do is wish you luck.â€

She closed her eyes, preparing herself for her inevitable unconsciousness.

“But know this, if they or you harm any of my friends I will find you and you will pay for your crimes.†she smiled an evil smile “And others have proved I'm harder to kill than most.â€

GM

Back to the present...

"So, we got you well and good, didn't we, toots!" laughed Lucy's tormentor, launching it to a grand old cackle.

"Took us years, well, that I grant ya, but the family, well, its gotta memory. And you put the old man behind bars all that time ago, didn't ya. We could dunna deal, ya know, the money, it was on tha' table. But oh no, toots here had to go and be all ethical and that cost the old man. But... he didn't forget did he. And when he died, his son didn't either. "

"And you know toots, it just didn't seem right that the old man stayed dead - but you had the gall to keep going, even despites ya condition... so, the old man's son. He said.. well, that don't seem right. We best gets to reversin that unfortunate error of fortunes..."

He leant right over Lucy, and sneered.

"And so, he invested a lot of money. And I mean a lot of money, in black magic mumbo jumbo. Lost a lot of business, and a lot of men. Hell, I thoughts the whole game was up - the family was going down, I don't mind telling ya. But then, seeing you here, movin' and not breathin. Well, I guess he gots it right after all..."

She spent a few minutes puffing on the cigarette she hadn't felt the urge or need for a cigarette since she woke up from the concrete, but it bought her time whilst coming up with a plan.

There was a doorway behind her, not guarded, but she had to get nearer. Unlike the circle earlier she could move, she was just too weak to move fast. She needed a plan to get nearer.

It was risky, and would hurt, but all she needed was for him to him her or get closer so she could hit him. He was already angry so this wasn't to hard.

She stubbed out the cigarette and gulped down the whiskey. It was nice to taste again, and the whiskey was cheap but it wasn't bad.

“Let me tell you about Mr. Giovanni. You know why none of the other families stepped in to help Sebastian. Because he broke the code he didn't just kill other Gangsters or the Police or even try to kill a Mystery Man. No he would target the woman and children, would kill civilians just to prove a point. Your revered ancestor was just a monster.†she kept her voice calm and level, all the more to wind him up.

• 2 weeks later...

GM

"Shut yer mouth lady...nobody speaks to da boss like that!" shouted back the thug. For good measure he leant over and gave her a fierce slap around the head. It would have surely rolled the eyes of normal men, but Revenant could brush it off with ease.

"Nobody. Da boss...he demands repect! and you are going to give it to him, toots. And, if this mumbo jumbo voodoo stuff works, more than just your respect. Its gonna give him yer undead breath too..."

For good measure, as his slap had had no effect, he gave her a mighty kick in the ribs and spat at her.

"Boys, go get the mumbo jumbo stuff..." he ordered his goons.

In his rage, he had failed to notice his blows dislodge the silver chains binding Revenant to the floor like a ton of iron. It was not enough to free her, but they had moved a little. And now, so could Revenant...

Ow that hurt, but it seemed to allow her a bit more movement, just as long as they didn’t just shoot her she could actually make an escape. So maybe some cover.

“That still doesn’t change the fact that I’m right, it’s a matter of public record. Beside…†She gave an evil looking smile. “How does someone who’s un-dead have a breath?â€

In a strange way she was going to enjoy this next bit, he may not. “Oh and you’re much to close.â€

She reached out grabbed the man legs, pulling him towards her. If he didn’t fall it would at least provide some confusion.