The Doktor is In(sane!) [IC]

Dr Archeville

Ace nodded calm agreement with the doctors assertions and relaxed back into his seat as he pulled a bit out of self recrimination and mused on his future. "Indeed they are, indeed they are." he murmured quietly, "I would not expect you to feel free of the burden of hindsight, such is after all how we learn from our mistakes. Guilt, uncertainty, and sorrow are all to be expected, healthy even." he mused lazily now glancing about his former intensity melting away as some of the doctors walls came down.

Ace looked kindly to Archeville, "But the fact is you are a hero Doctor." He said without hesitation, "And this world needs its heroes." Ace had lived through enough of this life to know that at least was one constant. "Many old allies may distrust you, or despise you, possibly worse." he shrugged as if the opinions of such people were of no significance, "But I do not think that should ever stop you from being the best hero you can be Victor." He smiled a cocky smile, "And I for one would love to see you back in the game," he waved a hand with a carefree air, "And I am not without resources if that is your concern."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How strange that Ace Danger, of all people, would be the one to show me the most concern and sympathy. Though he certainly has his share of personal demons he has overcome, so perhaps not so strange.

"I... appreciate the offer, Ace," he replied, looking up at the young immortal and stating to show the faintest spark in his eyes, "but... there is still much that needs to be done, and is best done here. Phantom assured me, and the League, that the taint of that.. that thing is completely gone from me, that I am now no more sus-sceptible to such influence than anyone else." The light in his eyes dimmed as they lost focus, but soon came back up. "And Scarab says she detects no trace of any Other in my mind, that the visions that plague my sleepless nights are m-merely memories, not some malignant influence. 'Metaphysically,' I have a clean bill of health... physically, there appears to be some lingering neural damage."

He held up a hand, and after a moment it began to tremble slightly. He brought it back down onto his lap quickly, "Though the therapists are s-split as to whether that is true damage or psychosomatic."

Ace nodded slowly gladened to see some kind of hope stirring in his friend. "What time you need your service has earned you Victor." he said simply relaxing back in the chair in a now casual mode. "Just be sure it is time you need for recovery and not fear that keeps you here." Ace looked around the sparse but comfortable room, "I know well how easy it can be to hide behind ones mistakes and the ease that one can take in letting the smallest of obstacles bar us from doing that which we know we ought." he returned his gaze to Archeville, "I learned the hard way however that every moment I spent thus another would be suffering."

Ace looked sadly out the window for a time after that and finally with a faint glisten in his eye looked back to his friend his face lighting once more with the frivolity that was his norm, "So what is your plan to find Ms. Teymourian?" He asked knowing even in his current state the Doctor had at least one if not many.

... Mona....

The damaged Doktor lost focus again, staring off for a moment.

... no. No, I am not going to wallow like this. I must do something, I need to do something.

"I... I honestly do not know," he said, clearly pained by the admission. "Her power dampers were sh-shattered during the battle, so even if she were merely... shunted to someplace else on this planet, I could not use those to track her. More likely, though, she was sucked into the Terminus itself, which would make tracking her b-by her own Terminus energy signature near-useless. Even if I had the equipment to do so..."

"You are Doctor Victor Archeville!" Ace exclaimed, "The greatest scientific mind of your generation."

He was smiling however as he watched the doctor carefully, "If anyone can build a device to find her, or backtrack where in the Terminus she was sent, It is you Victor." he said confidently with a nod. "You just need set your mind to it, if your mind isn't equal the task..." Ace shrugged, "You at the least should be able to improve it until it is." Ace waved a hand dismissively, Science and magic both received the same kind of response from the ageless hero, they could do things he knew and beyond that he didn't care for the details. Much to his more mystically or scientifically inclined cohorts disappointment.

He fixed the Doctor with a firm stare, "I have enough experience in this world to say this much Victor." he confided quietly, "Waiting around and leaving it to others is no way to help anyone."

Archeville jumped at Ace's exclamation, and sat like a deer in headlights as the immortal adventurer had his say.

Yes... yes, of course...

"M-my mind is not up to the task," he began, "but... but it can be. It will be. It must be. With help from the doctors here to help me regain some," he turned from Ace a moment, gazing over the papers strewn about the room, "some focus and... perspective, and my own work to restore a technologically-crafted replacement for the enhancements my... previous condition bestowed... I think... I think... I think I could be an agent for good again."

He turned back to the Freedom Leaguer, and the tiny light in his eyes, still far diminished from what Danger was used to seeing, was a tiny bit brighter than before. "Thank you, Ace."

A rare hint of genuine smile crept to Aces features as he saw the old fire perhaps rekindle in Archevilles eyes. He glanced downward as he spoke much quieter now, "Regret is a horrible thing to live with Victor." He paused for a moment with a small tired sigh. "But the greater regret is letting it stop you from doing the right thing." He intoned this lesson he had learned at too high a cost already. "Don't let hindsight's and what if stop you from embracing the good you can do in the future."

He brightened and looked Victor in the eyes again. "You need not thank me Victor." He said warmly, "I only try and share that which has been hard learned myself." He stood extending a hand to the doctor, "It's good to have you back."