The Doktor is In(sane!) [IC]

Dr Archeville

"I am ready," the two heard after a few moments. It was actually the third time Archeville had said it, though the first time was barely above a whisper (all he could muster so soon after his bout of wracking sobs), and the second barely louder than that. In the short time they had stood outside, Archeville replayed in his mind (which, while far less than it was, was still far more than most others) all the events of the past few days. When the orderly opened the door for Harrier, he saw Archeville had moved from his chair to the edge of his small bed, and the once-respected scientists' eyes were terribly bleary. "Oh, it is just you. Is... has Miss Americana gone? Yes, of course... she has quite a lot of work ahead of her... quite a lot."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scarred man replied with an eerily flat stare as he closed the door behind him. "Though Miss Americana and I are friends, we did not travel here on the same business," he said in a slow, deliberate monotone as the door locked with an audible click. "I am sorry your memory was erased, Viktor. I had preferred knowledge of my identity remain constant for all of Freedom's superheroes, the better to maintain security, but there was no time to speak to the Scarab and Phantom." He fell silent again, his lined eyes on the doctor. "How much do you recall of your deeds?"

Two lines of thought sprang up in Archeville's mind.

This man must be a superhero, someone I knew.

This man is going to beat me. Or perhaps smother me with a pillow.

"Not all of it," he said, backing up slightly. "More and more comes to me with every hypnotherapy session. It is... it is like uncovering memories that are not mine, like watching someone else's life. A life you had hoped to never see..." he trailed off. "We - the doctors here and I, that is - think we have unblocked all the memories from... from that day... but there is still decades more to go through." He chewed one corner of his bottom lip, waiting to see what the thick-armed goon was going to do next.

Harrier sat on the bunk, trying to appear non-threatening. It was something he did very poorly, but he did his best. "You will be visited by others in your time here." He stared blankly at the opposite wall, remembering his own conversations, his own counseling sessions with people who just didn't understand. "They will tell you that you need bear no guilt for what you have done, that your hands and your mind were the instrument of an Other's will, not your own." He turned and looked at Archeville then, and said simply, "They mean well. They have your best interests at heart. But you and I know those easy reassurances make no difference. Those who have not been there can never understand. The guilt is the same. The horror is the same. Viktor..." He fell silent for a moment, then said, "I think it is likely that, with the defenders you have in Freedom City, you will be released from this place when you still have many years to live. What will you do with yourself when you are free?"

Whoever he is, he has had a hard life, Archeville thought, still leaning back away from the man. Perhaps he was another victim of... unnatural influence?

"I do not know," he said after some moments. "And I do not know that your prediction is correct -- I am unaware of any attempts by anyone to defend me. I may, like my... my father," he stuttered as the sight of his father fusing into his own/the Other's/the horrid thing's body replayed in his mind, "re... remain here the rest of my days. But... if I am released... I would strive to do all I can to make amends for all... for all that was done. Which may well be impossible... but... I would try."

"In my experience, the heroes of Freedom City can overlook any crime. However great." Murdock fell silent, feeling a swell of pity for a man who had done so much less than he had, but who now faced so much more opprobrium from those who had been his fellows. A stranger who has harmed strangers is one thing. A friend who has turned, though, that is very different. "Good. But what can be done, what you must do, is make sure that what has happened matters. The past cannot be changed. The dead cannot be brought back to life. But what has happened can spur you to action. If you spend the remainder of your life in chains, then what has happened will not simply have been a disaster. It will have been a waste."

He turned his head and looked at Archeville, his neck swiveling without so much as twitching on his shoulders. "Do not allow what has happened to have been for nothing, Viktor. I have spoken to Mona Teymourian. She would not want that. Nor would she abandon you for what you have done."

Were Archeville in a less fractured state, he would make a semi-grim joke about how, as a German, he was very familiar with keeping the memories of the past, both good and ill, alive.

Instead, he made a different comment, though he was only half-conscious of speaking it, because it was only half-remembered. "The past can be changed... I changed it... it is how I got this way..."

His eyes widened at the realization of what he was now remembering; his body shrinking in on itself amplified the effect. "But the zeittor, the time-gate, was -- no, no, no... -- it was destroyed! So even... even if I wanted to go back and undo it all... I... I could not!"

At the confirmation of his words, Harrier simply looked at Archeville. "You can spend your life regretting that loss, and regretting the evil that you have done. Or you can go out into the world and do good in its place. Make no mistake, Viktor, you are the only true judge of yourself, despite what others may say. Your old life is over. The path you embark on within these walls will be the path that begins your new life. You can spend your days caged by memories. Caged by the memory of pain and anguish inflicted by your hands and words. Or you can go and begin anew, and ensure that no one else is made a slave. That no one else is put in a cage." He looked away for a moment.

"Mona Teymourian did not like me very much. She looked to me for answers about her soul and the source of her powers that I could not give her truthfully." He fell silent, his lined face tight, before he finally said, "But she would want you to be a free man, Viktor. Whether that freedom was outside these walls, or in here." He touched Archeville's head, his finger cold. "Mourn your losses. Grieve for them. But be inspired by them to be more than the sum of your sins."

Archeville forced himself to calm down; he could freak out at these new memories when he didn't have company. "I... I know what you say is right... it is much the same as my therapists have been saying. That I need not let my... my past define me, but rather guide me, spur me, towards... towards better things."

He seems a very kind and understanding man, for all he looks like a simple bruiser. And he must know me. I wish I could recall who he was.

Wait, Mona talked to him? Sought him out for answers? Why? Why him? What would he know, what could he know, that I do not?

Worry about that later. He is right, she would not want me... wallowing like this... she would want me to be free, to do all I can-

Free.

All I can.

The tiniest glimmer flashed in Archeville's eyes, "yes... yes, she would want that. For me to be free... to help others, as only I could. But... but would anyone accept my help?"

"Some will not. Some will never forgive," replied Murdock flatly. "And such is their right, for forgiveness cannot be coerced, or won, or bought, or earned. It must be given freely. You must help those who will accept your aid, and let those who reject you master their own destiny." He stared off into space again, as if looking at something Viktor could not see. It was unfair that Mona, with all her injured innocence, had been hurled into the heart of the Terminus itself. "Perhaps I have worn my own disguise for too long. A...friend made it for me as a way of hiding my armor." He looked at Archeville and said simply, "I am an Omegadrone."

Archeville was silent for some time at the man's first words.

He is right, of course. I cannot expect everyone to forgive and forget, should not expect it. I can just do the best I can, all I can, and let them judge on their own.

Not that they should not forgive me -- I was acting under duress, under control. When Maestro uses his hypersonics to compel some hapless citizen to rob a bank for hm, who is blamed, is a grudge held against the citizen?

Except... that does not quite apply to me, because I knew something was wrong, but was too stubborn -- too afraid -- to admit it. To seek help, to seek enough help, until... until...

The the man said the other thing, which drew a glass-eyed stare from the Doktor. "... what?"

Murdock was silent for a moment, sensing that perhaps he had opened up a little too much. Finally deciding that honesty was truer, more humane than simply changing the subject, he said, "I tell you this because as you have opened with me, I shall open with you. There is a future out there for you, Viktor Archeville, whatever crimes you have committed. I have reason to know this better than anyone." Whatever deeds Viktor Archeville had committed, whatever tortures had been done in his name, he knew the blood on his own hands in green and grey and so much red stained far deeper than anything on the German scientist's. Archeville was still looking at him. "Well. I think we have had a productive talk, Viktor. I will send send you pictures of Fulcrum's kitty. Shall we converse later?"

... who are you? And why do you claim to be an Omegadro-

... oh! He must have undergone some severe trauma -- perhaps he saw his family slaughtered during the Terminus Invasion -- and now he thinks he is an Omegadrone! A coping mechanism, taking on the identity of the stronger and more dominant figure...

... wait, no, that cannot be it, why then would Mona talk to- ah, of course. He sought out Mona, knowing she was empowered by the Terminus, thinking he was to... obey her? She would have none of that, of course, but in his mind, he saw himself giving her invaluable information.

But how did he wind up with Miss Americana? Does she know? Surely she must. Ah, I assumed she came in with her, but maybe he is a patient here as well, one she knew, and she convinced the doctors to let him talk with me, in the hopes we would... help one another?

Wait, but what of Archimedes? Does this fellow have him, or not?

Archeville nodded slowly, "yes. Productive. I... I would like to see those pictures... I think. And... and we should talk later. I would like that. Yes."

"Yes. Yes, we shall talk." Murdock wasn't at all sure he'd communicated anything worthwhile to Archeville, but frankly he wasn't sure about how most conversations he'd been part of had actually turned out. He'd told the truth and done all he could to help. In Freedom City, surely that would be adequate. "Good day, Viktor Archeville." As the cell door closed behind him, Harrier let out a soft sigh. Was it so much to hope that all he had learned, that all that had happened to him, could help another? Or perhaps he had simply distracted Archeville from his own guilt with learning of an even stranger case. At least I gave him something more exciting than his own pain, thought the former drone ruefully. There is a world more exciting than the one inside his cell.

Miss Americana was waiting for Murdock outside, doing something on her tablet to pass the time. She looked up as he came out and gave him a sympathetic smile, apparently guessing that things hadn't gone too well during the short visit. "You tried," she assured him, "and that definitely counts. Maybe he'll think later about what you said and it'll help him. Meanwhile," she continued, "I can get you set up with some funds to take care of that cat. Let's get going."

Ace had arrived with a degree of subtlety he rarely exercised on his own behalf but for his friend Victors chances of recovery he though paparazi would likely be a an impediment. He stepped from his convertible, top up perhaps for the first time since it had rolled off the lot, and quickly stepped up to the entrance and through. He flirted briefly with the receptionist until the doctor arrived to rescue the blushing and starstruck young lady clearing his throat to attract Aces attention, "Ace..." he said warningly and with just a hint of jealousy though the frown on his face melted at Aces cocky grin, "What I'm just introducing myself." he insisted as he followed the doctor away.

The doctor shook his head in wry amusement, "Of course you are." He said simply as he led the legend down the hall and up the elevators to Archevilles room. "He's doing better," the doctor warned, "but is still fragile Ace," He fixed a stern look on the ageless hero, "Go easy on him and we'll pull you out if you cause any trouble." With his warning given he knocked as he opened the door with a warning look to Ace, "Doctor? You have another visitor." he said gently before ace brushed past with a bombastic, "Victor!" and waved the doctor off to leave them.

Archeville had laid back down since Miss Americana and her odd (Omegadrone!?) associate had left, and had just dozed off when the sounds of footfalls and conversation in the hallway stirred him. Not enough to get out of bed, or even sit up, but enough to disturb his rest.

That is not for me... is it? Who would come to see me? Well, there are several who would, to visit assorted violence upon me. Maybe they are going to see someone else?

When the door opened and the scent of Danger's cologne hit a split second before his bombastic entry, he actually felt a bit relieved. Ace was a good man, an even with his colorful past, he probably wasn't here to administer beatings or (too harsh) a reprimand. Probably.

Archeville turned and pushed himself up to a sitting position. "Hello, Ace," he replied, voice still flat and weak. "How are... ah... things?"

"Better for me than for you I dare say Victor." Ace replied with a an easy smile as he waved off the doctor who had followed him spouting warnings of the Archevilles needs in treatment and possible dangers. As he finally left the room ace clicked the door shut behind him and looked to Victor gently, "They are treating you well I hope?" he inquired carefully, "Your needs are well taken care of?"

He looked the haggard and tarnished hero over a little sadly for a moment before the implacable mask of the empty headed playboy adventurer once more affixed itself to his features. The normally confident and clever doctor looked much a shell of his former self Ace had of course heard a great many things about the doctors possible rampage mind controlled or not as well as reviewed many a classified document so he knew the reasons the doctor was here from the outside at least. There were of course pieces of the puzzle missing. Ace dropped into a chair with a lazy carefree posture that was perhaps a little too carefree to be entirely unfeigned and looked questioningly to the doctor, "How are you taking it all Victor?"

"Oh, yes, quite well taken care of," he replied, voice raising a bit, the hint of a smile coming to his lips. The room was sparse -- a bed, a desk, a chest of drawers, and a small bathroom off to one side. Two windows, both closed and barred. No television or clock, and the only lights came from fixtures recessed into the ceiling. Strewn across the desk and about the floor were books and notepads filled with writings. "Very calm and peaceful here... usually... the doctors are pleasant... very skilled. Although... the food is... they have this... horrible pudding. This tapioca pudding on Tuesdays. It is dreadful."

It tastes like old people and sadness.

He was quiet for a moment at Ace's second question. The smile faded, and he glanced around at the notebooks. "I am... hrm... working on it. Trying to remember what... what happened... and how to atone for it."

Ace nodded as his eyes took in the room. It was largely what one would expect given the nature of the Doctors abilities. That they had provided him with as much as they had was fair indication of his progress. "Well if your greatest complaint is the food then I reason you have been well served here." he said with an easy grin. His manner remained light and calm despite the gravity of the coming conversation. "Atonement is overrated and in the end largely self serving." He said simply, "One must live the life one is given not the one they may wish." he remarked with a fatalistic shrug. Fixing his gaze more firmly on Archeville he shook his head lightly, "Atonement is an act of supreme selfishness victor, it is begging forgiveness for the unforgivable so that your reputation remain untarnished." he pulled no punches with his comments but also his words held no malice, "The damage is done and there is unfortunately nothing you or I or any others can do to undo it." he explained simply and solemnly, "Now is the time to look forward not back Victor."

'Selfish'? I... he... wait... no...

Archeville looked to Ace, brows furrowed, then turned to his piles of notes and stared in their general direction for a moment. "I... I am not begging for forgiveness," he said, still staring off at the papers, "I am trying to make a-amends for what happened. Fair recompense for damages... losses..." He turned suddenly back to Ace, "I know I cannot repay it all, b-but I can h-help an all... an already-struggling family pay off m-medical bills for a loved one injured by m-my... m-my..." He took a deep breath, exhaled it, took another deep one in, "my arrogance and fear!" he yelled, startling himself and reflexively curling back in on himself a bit.

"I am looking forward, Ace," he said after a moment's quiet rocking, voice small and timid again. "I am looking to the future of everyone I wronged, and trying to ease some of their burdens. That... that is what we do, right? Help others? Keep them safe from the villains and the m-monsters?"

Ace shook his head ever so slightly at the doctors somewhat defensive response though he had to admit he hadn't been at his most tactful in his initial foray he still had little idea how much the controlling entity had left in Archevilles memories. "I apologize Victor." he said simply as he held up a hand to calm the doctor he hoped. As the hand dropped he looked directly into his friend and sometime teammates eyes with a gaze that for once carried the weight of his many years. "I do not mean to attack you nor to call in question what you must to do cope with what you were forced to do."

Gaze linger on the Doctor he continued to explain himself and his presence here in hopefully more diplomatic terms. "We do help people Victor. But you must look at the how and the why." The legendary adventurer looked to the window with a wry smile, "Both our fortunes combined could do little but put a dent in suffering of the world that wrought by your Other and that wrought by petty men the world over." he mused with a sad sigh, "By all means help those in need but think if you are truly doing the most you can to help by setting up foundations and digging up victims families." He turned back to Archeville, "And think long on your purpose, when we first met you explained your impetus in heroics was in part to prove your name free of the taint of your grandfathers," he paused with the discomfort of one who had seen it first hand, "Research."

"Victor," he said gently, "You have within you the heart and genius that let you be one of the greatest heroes this world has known." His piercing gaze remained fixed on the doctors own, "Don't rob the world of that out of guilt for that which you could not control."

"But I could have controlled it," he said, depression in his voice slowly giving way to anger. "But I should have controlled it. Should have done more, should have told more people about it! I told Scarab, and Miss Americana and Dragonfly, they knew something was going on, but I told them too late!"

"And, no, I do not fault them," he continued, tears starting to stream down his face, "in any way, for 'not doing enough,' not laying any blame on their tables. I should have done more, sought out more help, but my fear, and my arrogance would not let me! Well...," his tone downshifted abruptly, "that and the thing in my head... influencing me... like some puppet..."

Ace fixed a nonplussed gaze on Archeville, "Could have? Should have? Would have?" He asked with a smirk and shook his head. "Hindsight Victor is a deadly thing in our business." he said sadly, "We ever can examine each of our choices and after the fact see where we could have done more or acted sooner." The ageless hero looked all of his years for a long moment as he gazed out the window lost in the flowing river of his own memories. He slowly pulled his attention back to Archeville.

"I have seen you before and now Victor and you are the same good man at the heart of it." Aces tone brooked no argument on that fact, "If you could have done more I know you would have. You with all your genius and all your good intentions did all that you thought necessary to control what was eroding your will. The Man I know Could Not do any less." He argued emphatically.

"I... I know you are right," he said after a quiet moment, "though knowing and... feeling are two very, very different things."

Archeville made a sound that was almost like a chuckle, "you know, a part of me -- a major part of me -- often feared I would wind up in a situation like this, someday, but I never really planned for it. But, well, how do you plan for going insane? The truth of it," he stared off again for a moment, looking vaguely in the direction of his papers and notebooks, "the truth of it is, I really do not know what I am doing, or how to proceed; everything I knew and did has been taken away. Earlier today I ceded control of ArcheTech to Miss Americana, letting her take full control over it, in the hope she can salvage my company... salvage the company, I suppose I should say. My membership in the Freedom League is pending -- my actions were not my own, but I was not without forewarning, so my judgment is in question, and at any rate they have removed me from the active roster. As for the Interceptors... well...."